Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt Is Almost Perfect ( Overload Rework )

DrBorris

Volt is a great frame now, he is one of the most balanced frames in the game, capable of low level damage and high level utility… but then comes his 4.

For any person who says “but Overload has CC,”… just no. It is more effective/safer to use shock from range four times than suicide in the middle of a group (where Volt is not supposed to be anyway) and press 4. And you probably only need to cast Shock only once to get the same result as Overload in most cases. In addition, comparing Overload to Stomp (another damage/CC 4 ability), Stomp has more damage and more consistent CC than Overload.

Seeing Volt as a cross between a Damage and CC frame, I think it makes sense to give Overload more scaling damage and more effective CC.

My proposition is basically having Overload effected by duration (increased duration is necessary), any enemy that comes within Overloads range will be brought under its effects. Every enemy brought into its effects have a chaining range around them, increasing the effective range of the ability.

Also, the damage scales based on the amount of enemies in the group. So there is a base damage of 1000 for the ability (damage done over time), and for every enemy in the effected area 250 extra damage is added (similar to how it works now).

If you understand what I mean from the above, congratulations. But because I don’t even really understand what I wrote, I shall make some pretty pictures to explain.

Key:

• Blue Circle=Volt
  • Green Circle=Enemy
  • Light Blue Area=Effective Range of Overload
  • Green Circle with Blue Outline=Enemy under Overloads effects

Part 1

WMi9F7B.png?1

This is the initial casting. All this shows is Volt’s initial range.

Part 2

TMBM6vh.png

At this point, the effects of Overload are the same as now (sort of). Some enemies were caught in the chaining and are being dealt damage. Each enemy will be locked in position for the rest of the duration.

Part 2.5

AttxrzX.png

With the current Overload, only the enemies with the Blue outline will be effected. All of the enemies that stormed in cannot be brought into the abilities effects.

Part 3

MiEYmNA.png

With this proposed change, Overloads range is still active AND larger than the initial range. Any enemy unfortunate enough to walk onto the blue area will get brought under Overloads effects.

Part 4

Kln1U7U.png

Enemy A, B, and C were unfortunate enough to wander into the range of Overload. You can see that A, B, and C have added their own chaining range. Part 5 shows the repercussions.

Part 5

psSassi.png

Now, a bunch more enemies are being effected by Overload, increasing its area of effect and damage (the 250 damage per enemy still applies).

Part 6

j7dJwwS.png

I think you can see how the effects of Overload are capable of locking down an entire area. Anymore enemies that wander into the new range will further expand the range and increase the damage done per tick.

Thank you all for reading, any feedback would be awesome.

How about give Overload a permanent, lingering, intermittent stun effect? Any enemy caught in Overload will then be stunned like every 3 seconds for as long as they're alive.

Eh, but nothing has permanent effects, that would be crazy. Think about it, drop one overload at the beginning of a defense, and do CC for the entire match...

Fine, so have the intermittent stun last for 20 seconds or whatever, every 3 seconds for 20 seconds they'll get stunned. Done :)

Having them completely stunned is boring as hell. At least this way they'll kind of fight back, but then you get to laugh as they try to stab you only to get zapped again lol

Edited by DarkTails

that would be crazy. Think about it, drop one overload at the beginning of a defense, and do CC for the entire match...

Why, good sir, I wonder? If you think about it, no mobs above level 60 take longer than mere seconds to kill, save for non-bullet sponge bosses like Ruk or Lephantis. 

I think it's a really good idea, for it would expand the CC possibilities on higher levels, where overload really loses its damage potential.

Why, good sir, I wonder? If you think about it, no mobs above level 60 take longer than mere seconds to kill, save for non-bullet sponge bosses like Ruk or Lephantis. 

I think it's a really good idea, for it would expand the CC possibilities on higher levels, where overload really loses its damage potential.

I have nothing against improved CC, in fact, I think it would be wonderful. But a persisting, indefinate power doesn't match the current way things work. also, it would really make Volt's energy kinda pile up, he casts one overload at the beginning, and then all he casts is volt shield (or whatever the local sterategy calls for), there is zero call to cast overload more than once.

I have nothing against improved CC, in fact, I think it would be wonderful. But a persisting, indefinate power doesn't match the current way things work. also, it would really make Volt's energy kinda pile up, he casts one overload at the beginning, and then all he casts is volt shield (or whatever the local sterategy calls for), there is zero call to cast overload more than once.

According to the OP, there would be, especially if there are more enemies. The more the merrier, you've read the damage increase as well.

But I do see your point and agree with it, partially. 

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback everyone. 

Maybe have it target like shock so that if can be cast at a location from a range, and then radiate from there

I actually thought about this, but as Akiba_BroaX said, it will reduce its cinematic effect. You know what would be awesome though, having that be a syndicate augment mod. 

How about give Overload a permanent, lingering, intermittent stun effect? Any enemy caught in Overload will then be stunned like every 3 seconds for as long as they're alive.

It is kind of like that now. Even when enemies die, their dead corpses will still be linked in the area. So, while it is not permanent, any enemy that walks into the effected area during the duration (which would be around 10 seconds unmodded) will fall under its effects and further expand the range.

It already scales based on enemies in a group.......

Sorta-kinda-not really. There is some scaling with groups as far as damage goes now, but not that much. The extra damage now only really comes from electronics. The CC has more scaling now with group size, but that is limited. Also, did the area denial CC go right over your head? Someone can literally put an entire room in the electric stun position for 20 seconds. 

Edited by DrBorris

Wow, thanks for the positive feedback everyone. 

I actually thought about this, but as Akiba_BroaX said, it will reduce its cinematic effect. You know what would be awesome though, having that be a syndicate augment mod. 

It is kind of like that now. Even when enemies die, their dead corpses will still be linked in the area. So, while it is not permanent, any enemy that walks into the effected area during the duration (which would be around 10 seconds unmodded) will fall under its effects and further expand the range.

Sorta-kinda-not really. There is some scaling with groups as far as damage goes now, but not that much. The extra damage now only really comes from electronics. The CC has more scaling now with group size, but that is limited. Also, did the area denial CC go right over your head? Someone can literally put an entire room in the electric stun position for 20 seconds. 

I think youre forgetting that volts 4 works in pulses

The strange thing about it is itll stun enemies close to you sooner and far away later

Giving it a nice preventative CC but a bad instant CC

The damage scaling with groups is alot higher than people credit it for but the range of the aoE dmaage is a bit small to be effective sometimes

If it scaled with power range and if electronics could be used multiple times volt would have himself a better 4 to use

All in all its not terrible as is aside from the close range CC being short

Edited by Azawarau

According to the OP, there would be, especially if there are more enemies. The more the merrier, you've read the damage increase as well.

But I do see your point and agree with it, partially. 

As far as I can tell, the OP's method would still need to be recast eventually. When a new enemy enters the zone, it doesn't reset the power counter, it just expands the range.

As far as I can tell, the OP's method would still need to be recast eventually. When a new enemy enters the zone, it doesn't reset the power counter, it just expands the range.

Yes, the zone is effected by duration. However, what if Volt could recharge it? So rather than having to repeat the entire process of the expanding range, Volt could cast Shock onto the affected area for an extra 5 seconds of effect or cast Overload again to add 10 seconds (and add the range of the second cast of Overload onto the first). So if someone tends to their "zone" they can possibly sustain it indefinitely. 

I think youre forgetting that volts 4 works in pulses

The strange thing about it is itll stun enemies close to you sooner and far away later

Giving it a nice preventative CC but a bad instant CC

The damage scaling with groups is alot higher than people credit it for but the range of the aoE dmaage is a bit small to be effective sometimes

If it scaled with power range and if electronics could be used multiple times volt would have himself a better 4 to use

All in all its not terrible as is aside from the close range CC being short

The largest fault in Volt's current CC is its short duration. Currently, Overload is not a reliable CC ability, but a decent "Oh sh1t" CC ability. The most powerful part of this suggestion is that new enemies can enter its effect even after casting. The most annoying thing with many CC abilities is that while the initial targets are neutralized, new enemies just run in. That is the main power of this suggestion, it now scales with the enemies in the initial effect (as it is now) and enemies that come after the initial casting. The main reason I say it is terrible as is, is because it is almost completely eclipsed by Shock.