Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All This Time And No Spear?

Crossark

I just started leveling Excalibur for Mastery Points, and I noticed that Radial Javelin launches skana at the affected enemies. I wondered briefly why DE hadn't replaced what seemed like a filler texture so far, but then I realized that there is no spear texture. There's no spear weapon in the game whatsoever, not to mention one that players could use. It seems to me that, after a year of updates that brought a sword-and-shield-combo, tonfa, a trowing mace, and even a whip-like device with spinning blades, DE would have worked out a spear design. However, I've never even heard mention of one. The closest thing we have is the Orthos and maybe the Amphis, but even those aren't that spear-like.

Tell me, Forums. Am I just crazy? Is a spear really not that big of a weapon to have in such a melee-focused game?

Also, if anyone here is good with concept art, perhaps they could draft up a quick spear design to show the devs that it's a serious idea.

Spear gameplay will be horrible IMO, its all going to be stabby stabby and single target focused.

Not true.  Spears are very versatile weapons and general fighting techniques include tip slashes and using the shaft of the weapon like a staff.  A Warframe spear weapon + stance could easily incorporate focused puncture-based damage that hit multiple enemies in front of the player and sweeping strikes for bleed procs and staggers/crowd control.  It also wouldn't be hard to imagine a throw-and-return animation/combo.

False, you can make spears be slash oriented as well. 

Dark Souls 2 did this very well.

Well yes, they can be slash, but won't then they just become 1 headed orthos at that point ?

Dark souls 2 melee combat is slower and all about timing though, can't really compare it to warframe where you slash through waves and waves of enemies by doing 5 button combos.

My imagination regarding spears is more like javelins - you have 10 or 15 of them, and you can either use them to simply attack or throw them by holding the quick melee down (they can be picked up only if you kill the enemy - but if you kill the enemy, the corpse will be ragdolled, so most of the time you won't get your spear back), and your spears regenerate (because in my opinion, these are energy spears - like throwed thunderstrikers, ya know :D).

Would be amazing. Oh yeah, don't forget arrow-like properties - falldown over time, travel time, ragdoll (already mentioned)...

Well yes, they can be slash, but won't then they just become 1 headed orthos at that point ?

Dark souls 2 melee combat is slower and all about timing though, can't really compare it to warframe where you slash through waves and waves of enemies by doing 5 button combos.

And then there is the is the difference, because a 1 headed orthos cannot use the same animation as 2 headed orthos. It'd use the stabbing motions a spear but have its own slashing motions as well.

Different slashing moveset, less color-guard-style baton-twirling and more gashing cuts.

I don't mind a moveset solely comprised of lunging attacks. They could just make it so you can impale a bunch of enemies at once.

With channeling, maybe it could create a ghost extension of the spear to impale an entire lineup of enemies. lol

Weapons I curently want:

Spear

Sai

Gunblade(Soon)TM

Rapier(could make Jaw or Pangolin sword into this)

Nunchuks

Photon Sword( Lightsaber)

I think the Plasma Sword and Gram are their answers to the lightsaber. Also, Pangolin isn't puncture.

Not true.  Spears are very versatile weapons and general fighting techniques include tip slashes and using the shaft of the weapon like a staff.  A Warframe spear weapon + stance could easily incorporate focused puncture-based damage that hit multiple enemies in front of the player and sweeping strikes for bleed procs and staggers/crowd control.  It also wouldn't be hard to imagine a throw-and-return animation/combo.

Oh my god, do you realize how much fangirl squealing I would do if we got a spear with a chain on it so that we could throw it and pull it back?

Warframe needs this and a Halberd as the alternative slashing weapon, stat!

Spear gameplay will be horrible IMO, its all going to be stabby stabby and single target focused. Saying that, we don't really have a proper thrust weapon...yet.

Unless you make an extending spear that pierces 10 meters in front, there's your AoE. Reach would be wonderful on that.