Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lotus In Bloom [Ooc]

Temperance000

Okay. What the HELL has been happening while I've been gone? My request that we use chatango, and one polite, constructive comment from Viper set off a bloody sh*tstorm.

Achaix, ultima, Renegade, and anyone I missed: you will kindly refrain from discussing or disparaging religion in this thread, or I will ask a community moderator to remove you.

Renegade and ultima specifically: chatango is preferred specifically because it is instant communication as opposed to the time-delayed posting we have here on the forums. We don't need to remember and record every odd comment and could-be musing, case in point, the vast majority of the conversation above me. I did not want to make chatango a requirement for this thread but (what I percieve as) your attitudes are strongly pushing me in that direction. I do not need you to make an account, or even check the site regularly, since all absolutely essential information will still be posted here, but out of courtesy to the rest of us, just to stay abreast of what is happening OoC, I would like you to check in when you can.

Finally, and most important for everyone: remember that we are all here to have fun, but as RPers, part of that is a responsibility to make our writing the best it can be. That requires being respectful, communicative, honest, and open to constructive criticism. Please keep this in mind as the thread progresses.

As much as it pains me to say it, I do not expect these problems to go away. But I do hope that they will not get any worse.

Thank you again for participating; I will join you again in the IC soon.

Best,

Temperance000

Renegade and ultima specifically: chatango is preferred specifically because it is instant communication as opposed to the time-delayed posting we have here on the forums. We don't need to remember and record every odd comment and could-be musing, case in point, the vast majority of the conversation above me. I did not want to make chatango a requirement for this thread but (what I percieve as) your attitudes are strongly pushing me in that direction. I do not need you to make an account, or even check the site regularly, since all absolutely essential information will still be posted here, but out of courtesy to the rest of us, just to stay abreast of what is happening OoC, I would like you to check in when you can.

Or what about Skype?

At least that feels a bit more secure than an online chat room using a Internet website as its base (and also for voice chatting, if needed) (because online chat rooms tend to go south quite quickly in my opinion). 

And from looking at Chatango again, you kind of need to make an account for accessing a bit of things. Just saying. 

Or what about Skype?

At least that feels a bit more secure than an online chat room using a Internet website as its base (and also for voice chatting, if needed) (because online chat rooms tend to go south quite quickly in my opinion). 

And from looking at Chatango again, you kind of need to make an account for accessing a bit of things. Just saying.

I do not have a chatango account, on principle, Renegade. I get by just fine with a temporary name. I would be willing to try Skype, but it does not work well on my computer.

Would you be willing to expand on your security concerns? As far as I am aware, we do not share any particularly sensitive information over the chat.

Or what about Skype?

I do not have a chatango account, on principle, Renegade. I get by just fine with a temporary name. I would be willing to try Skype, but it does not work well on my computer.

Would you be willing to expand on your security concerns? As far as I am aware, we do not share any particularly sensitive information over the chat.

I'm not really concerned with 'security' on chatango. Oh no, some hacker could know everything we say on there! Which would do... not much. Oh no! My chatango account is compromised! It... doesn't even have my email address on there. Just a username, password, and profile pic.

I have skype, but no offense, I'm not too keen on sharing my skype details with a bunch of random people I met online. I prefer chatango largely for that reason.

And yeah, Temp doesn't have an account. You can just click 'set name' on the bottom-right and put in a temporary name.

With web-based coding (HTML and the like), these codes are easier to hack into. For instance, SQL (code for databases, which is most often used online) is very easily learnt, given its rather simplistic syntax and function naming (but it is quick), meaning that there is a higher chance for that type of code to be used for other purposes than the intended one (e.g.: The well-known SQL injections for manipulating or extracting data from databases). 

For other codes, like Java (to an extent) and C/C++, they have more complicated functions, checks, and other things, which makes it more difficult to learn, and thus a bit more difficult to hack into (although that goes both ways, and one can mess up these types of code if one does not know what he/she is doing). 

That is why I tend to refrain from using online chat rooms as much as possible, due to the huge traffic flow, and generally subpar security (and yes, this forum has been hacked once, as far as I am aware). As for security concerns about Skype, fake everything. 

With web-based coding (HTML and the like), these codes are easier to hack into. For instance, SQL (code for databases, which is most often used online) is very easily learnt, given its rather simplistic syntax and function naming (but it is quick), meaning that there is a higher chance for that type of code to be used for other purposes than the intended one (e.g.: The well-known SQL injections for manipulating or extracting data from databases). 

For other codes, like Java (to an extent) and C/C++, they have more complicated functions, checks, and other things, which makes it more difficult to learn, and thus a bit more difficult to hack into (although that goes both ways, and one can mess up these types of code if one does not know what he/she is doing). 

That is why I tend to refrain from using online chat rooms as much as possible, due to the huge traffic flow, and generally subpar security (and yes, this forum has been hacked once, as far as I am aware). As for security concerns about Skype, fake everything. 

I know chatango is super easy to hack, I'm saying there's no reason anyone would, and if they did, they would gain nothing. Max, your account name and password, and that's if you even made an account. You can read the chatlog without signing in, so there's no reason to hack that either.

Security through obscurity.

Edited by SnaleKing

I know chatango is super easy to hack, I'm saying there's no reason anyone would, and if they did, they would gain nothing. Max, your account name and password, and that's if you even made an account. You can read the chatlog without signing in, so there's no reason to hack that either.

Tell that to all the DDOS'ers who like to hack into online chat rooms for using a pre-made program (from someone else) to get something from other people, then ransoming for money (not that DDOS'ers are really hackers anyway, but I digress on that part). 

Anyways, back on-topic, I still have a few things against online chat rooms due to being exposed a bit more (actually, exposed by quite a bit) on the Internet, so I think I would pass on using Chatango for chatting and what-not. Reading? Maybe. Chatting? Definitely not. 

Tell that to all the DDOS'ers who like to hack into online chat rooms for using a pre-made program (from someone else) to get something from other people, then ransoming for money (not that DDOS'ers are really hackers anyway, but I digress on that part). 

Anyways, back on-topic, I still have a few things against online chat rooms due to being exposed a bit more (actually, exposed by quite a bit) on the Internet, so I think I would pass on using Chatango for chatting and what-not. Reading? Maybe. Chatting? Definitely not. 

Ooookay, I guess if you're really that spooked by DDOS'ers taking down the site and ransoming it to us, I won't be able to convince you otherwise... 

We'll be over there if you change your mind, at any rate.

Ooookay, I guess if you're really that spooked by DDOS'ers taking down the site and ransoming it to us, I won't be able to convince you otherwise... 

Because the last thing I need is another annoying thing to deal with (on top of the other things I am currently dealing right now)?

Achaix, ultima, Renegade, and anyone I missed: you will kindly refrain from discussing or disparaging religion in this thread, or I will ask a community moderator to remove you.

This is why I try not to ever mention religion, ever.

FYI my clan uses Raidcall. If you don't want somebody seeing your face but have no problem with them hearing your voice, that's the place to be. I've had it for a pretty long time and I never got hacked, so yeah. Fourth option.

Ren, you have to remember the reason for hacking: hidden/personal info which is later used for extortion/sold on the black market (skilled minority), or just for the hell of it (unskilled majority).

This RP is pretty low priority compared to the Staff posts. They'd much rather screw over DE employees than a bunch of random people doing "collaborative writing".

That paranoia is like not going into the woods because there might be a mutated rabid cyborg bear.

Edited by Achaix

Ren, you have to remember the reason for hacking: hidden/personal info which is later used for extortion/sold on the black market (skilled minority), or just for the hell of it (unskilled majority).

Which is a small problem, because I am not in the mood to deal with that (no matter what it ends up as, be it some information taken from me or just inconvenience/bugs) as well (after trying, for the fifth time, to teach someone that sin(A)/cos(A) = tan(A)). 

So, I am still adamant in not using other online chats (which is why I quit Facebook, at any rate). 

Lady Viper, let me tell you now... The Redeemer? It has literal pinpoint accuracy and effectiveness. Trust me. There is no better shotgun that fires straighter and deadlier, and no blade the cleaves enemies in two better. XD

You did read that Arthur had never used it himself right? Nor actually seen it in action. But based on a look on it it does come across as impractical. Prove him wrong IC.

If Arthur ever asks Heckel about the Redeemer, she could put on a little demonstration for him at a training room or whatever equivalent the Manifold may have. Bet that would be interesting.

Also, funny how the Redeemer has a higher damage than any shotgun with little damage fall-off, tight spread and infinite ammo because it's a melee weapon but it's somewhat offset by needing to charge before each shot and having a hard cap on range like a Spectra or Flux Rifle. The latter doesn't really matter when considering it's a shotgun though.

Edited by Sumika1204

If Arthur ever asks Heckel about the Redeemer, she could put on a little demonstration for him at a training room or whatever equivalent the Manifold may have. Bet that would be interesting.

Also, funny how the Redeemer has a higher damage than any shotgun with little damage fall-off, tight spread and infinite ammo because it's a melee weapon but it's somewhat offset by needing to charge before each shot and having a hard cap on range like a Spectra or Flux Rifle. The latter doesn't really matter when considering it's a shotgun though.

Honestly if you're good with aiming that little dot, it makes a good Vectis. :D

I'd take the Redeemer over any shotgun.