Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[New Planets Concept] - Titan, Luna, Asteroid Belt, Io

(PSN)IkariWarrior83

After playing for a while, I have seen the excellent work that the tiles/graphics team has come up with for the Tenno to run their operations.  However, I feel that there are a few conspicuous Solar objects that could definitely be taken advantage of:

Luna - why is it that Phobos is a planet, and our own moon is not?  Some folks may say "Go play Destiny, if you want the moon!"  To that I say, if I wanted to play Destiny, I wouldn't be playing Warframe.

Story idea: The Corpus have set up a forward base to assault the Grineer on Earth.  This location could even been introduced using a questline, where the Grineer have contracted the Tenno to protect an installation which will launch assault ships to the Moon to fight the Corpus (think the Grineer equivalent of NASA).  Conclusion of the quest is an Archwing boss fight on Earth that unlocks Luna.

Titan - Same mentality as Luna, pretty much similar story.  Titan is such a cloudy, mysterious moon, it's surprising to me that Phobos and Europa are their own planets and Titan is just a node on Saturn.  This is the moon that has intrigued and marveled so many sci-fi kids' imaginations over the years, it's due some respect!

Story idea: This planet is half-Corpus, half-Grineer, as the Corpus have been mining the moon for resources under the Grineer's noses, and now that they've noticed, this planet has been plunged into perpetual chaos and conflict.  This planet can be unlocked after defeating General Ruk

Io - Jupiter's moon of ice is its own planet, but the most volcanically active moon in the Solar System is reduced to a lowly node? This shall not do! I propose that Io be its own planet, like Europa.  It can be the fiery equivalent to Europa's perpetual ice fields!

Story idea: After reigning in the Infested, Alad V is harnessing the geothermal power of Io to power his Mutalist research facilities.  This planet can be unlocked via quest (i.e. defeating Alad V once after collecting the coordinates), or can be dropped by the boss of Neptune, Ceres, or Pluto.

Asteroid Belt - While Ceres is the largest and best-known asteroid in the Belt, it would be cool to have a collection of missions going between the asteroids.  This would be the only planet where every mission is an archwing mission.

Story idea: The Corpus are fortifying their positions between Mars and Jupiter.  Given the threat from the Grineer, the Tenno, and the new threat of Alad V's Mutalist Empire, the Corpus are doing everything they can to keep their rivals away from the outer planets and the precious resources.

Note: I know that none of the above are planets in the astronomical sense.  I'm using the word in the game's context, as it refers to Europa and Phobos as planets too, when they're actually satellites.

I think we shouldn't refer to these locations as planets anymore, since they've added the void, and other places, calling them "planets" isn't correct, but more of locations. 

But I do like the idea of having more places to go as long as we can get some sort of tile set dedicated to that location. IE the Asteroid Belt can have the current Grineer Asteroid tile set as well as a Corpus version, maybe even Orokin tile sets with a small chance of showing up instead of Grineer/Corpus tile sets. 

Also I'd love to see DE's idea of a Moon tile set.

I maintain that our moon - Luna - will be the Grineer capital where we face off against the Twin Queens somewhere in the future (based on Vay Hek's Regulator statements on Earth) and I will defend this until the end! I can just see us having to go in between interior Grineer structural bases and outside on the low-gravity no-oxygen "get to the next door asap" parts of the Moon's exterior as we work our way towards the Queens' Throne Room.

As for the rest:

Titan: This idea of a Corpus-Grineer warzone sound incredibly interesting, though I find it smacks too much of the Invasion tilesets. I suppose it could be made different by us facing off against the enemies solely on the war-torn surfaces of the ship in the dusty brown air of the moon, but at the same time I can only wonder "this is pretty epic, why don't they change the skybox for it and apply it to all the invasions missions?"

Io - I was about to start going off about "I'd rather see Venus be turned into the Corpus lava planet" but then I read your infested description and got all "YES! YES! This sounds like Char from Starcraft and I love that fuckin' place!" So yes. I want this.

Asteroid Belt - I too would like to see this, but it seems interesting to note that the entire Asteroid belt has been mysteriously missing since the dawn of the game. Maybe this was because of graphical limitations or oversights, but I like to imagine that back in the Orokin Era the field was mined dry and barren for whatever resources could be gained from the floating rocks. In fact, I think it would give the Warframe universe a little more character to make the absence of the Asteroid Belt canon - whether through that explination or not.

(sorry guys, I love you, but this Nav coordinate business is for the birds)

So much this! Why do we have to farm stupid keys and gather lobbies and just go through such a horrendously tedious process to fight a boss when Earth has no boss node *cough cough Vay Hek* (Why did you remove Vay Hek as the boss of earth and did not replace him with another boss?) and Eris *cough cough infested Alad V* (Alad V could've filled that spot since you took Phorid out of there forever ago)

Edited by HandsOfnArtist

So much this! Why do we have to farm stupid keys and gather lobbies and just go through such a horrendously tedious process to fight a boss when Earth has no boss node *cough cough Vay Hek* (Why did you remove Vay Hek as the boss of earth and did not replace him with another boss?) and Eris *cough cough infested Alad V* (Alad V could've filled that spot since you took Phorid out of there forever ago)

The way I'm seeing it now, I think every faction should have two key bosses - one tied to an already-exiting planet that doesn't require keys, with a non-key boss accessible as well, and another tied to a key-locked planet ala the Derelict and Lephantis.

So, here's the current standings:

Infested: Key-locked world: Derelict/Lephanits ; Key-locked node: Mutalist Alad V

Grineer: Key-locked world: ??? (I vouch Luna/Twin Queens) ; Key-locked node: Councilor Vay Hek

Corpus: Key-locked world: ??? (Maybe wherever the Corpus board is? Though I like to think they're on Pluto) ; Key-locked node: ??? (you got me on this one)

Asteroid Belt - I too would like to see this, but it seems interesting to note that the entire Asteroid belt has been mysteriously missing since the dawn of the game. Maybe this was because of graphical limitations or oversights, but I like to imagine that back in the Orokin Era the field was mined dry and barren for whatever resources could be gained from the floating rocks. In fact, I think it would give the Warframe universe a little more character to make the absence of the Asteroid Belt canon - whether through that explination or not.

Ceres is in the Asteroid Belt; I suppose it'd make more sense for it to be Grineer.  Either way, though... :)

+1 For glorious lava tileset! Only thing I see wrong is having the place belong to Mutated Salad. Infested hate heat/fire, and last I checked, lava/magma can be... hot.

Lava? Magma? Hot?  Ridiculous! I demand you show me scientific proof that supports your claim so I can blindly discard it!

In all seriousness though, that's a good point, but the inside of the facilities have air conditioning, or could be a mix of Corpus and Mutalist, like a faction of Corpus brainwashed by not infested by the new Alad V.

Interesting ideas but I am already miffed about Phobos being a set on it's own. It is CLEARLY Mars! Ancient structures hinting at colonization way WAY back. Red, rocky, canyony terranin and wildlife. 

These all hint at me that "Phobos" is Mars. In fact I'm going as far to say that "Phobos" isn't a world on it's own, it's a region on Mars. Think equatorial as Mars tilesets are all corpus bases (cold climate). In fact if anything, the tilesets should be reversed. 

It makes sense for Phobos to have a cold climate as, in my headcanon, those are more like, archologies or terraformed "bubbles". You see towers way off in the distance on those and I think those could be the borders between the cold vacuum of space (as Phobos is too small to have an atmosphere, not to mention any meaningful gravity). And it's cold because we (tenno) are attacking black sites. Places that are "off the grid". They look half-way abandoned to me. So they are run with only the minimal life support. Heating costs a lot of dosh. 

So as much as I'm for making new tilesets. I'm more in the mind for these to be incorporated into the existing planets as "regions". Saturn should contain all the moons, as "Saturn" isn't a planet you can land on. It's a sector in space, including everything that orbits the planet. I can understand that SOME satellites that hold a lot of strategic or lore importance should have their own "regions" on the starmap. Give all planets more tilesets. 

And these new, larger sectors like moons could be like a Tab off of the planet. Or a sub-directory. 

EDIT: Fixed Error: Mars does not have a Relay

Edited by Lakais

Interesting ideas but I am already miffed about Phobos being a set on it's own. It is CLEARLY Mars! Ancient structures hinting at colonization way WAY back. Red, rocky, canyony terranin and wildlife.

Good call, but its not Red and dusty enough imo. Id love to see how DE would make a mars tileset.

Good call, but its not Red and dusty enough imo. Id love to see how DE would make a mars tileset.

Well, I'm kind of thinking that should be THE Mars tileset. With a corpus base tileset modified so instead of snow, there's sand here and there, with a more Martian skybox. I honestly don't think eatch planet should have just one tileset. Sure there are the ship and asteroid ones. But the planetside portion of a region (planet) should have multiple tilesets as a planet (or the moons of those planets in case of the gas giants) is just too big to have just one kind of climate. 

These all hint at me that "Phobos" is Mars. In fact I'm going as far to say that "Phobos" isn't a world on it's own, it's a region on Mars. Think equatorial as Mars tilesets are all corpus bases (cold climate). In fact if anything, the tilesets should be reversed. 

It makes sense for Phobos to have a cold climate as, in my headcanon, those are more like, archologies or terraformed "bubbles". You see towers way off in the distance on those and I think those could be the borders between the cold vacuum of space (as Phobos is too small to have an atmosphere, not to mention any meaningful gravity). And it's cold because we (tenno) are attacking black sites. Places that are "off the grid". They look half-way abandoned to me. So they are run with only the minimal life support. Heating costs a lot of dosh. 

So as much as I'm for making new tilesets. I'm more in the mind for these to be incorporated into the existing planets as "regions". Saturn should contain all the moons, as "Saturn" isn't a planet you can land on. It's a sector in space, including everything that orbits the planet. I can understand that SOME satellites that hold a lot of strategic or lore importance should have their own "regions" on the starmap. Give all planets more tilesets. 

And these new, larger sectors like moons could be like a Tab off of the planet. Or a sub-directory. 

EDIT: Fixed Error: Mars does not have a Relay

Yes, because Mars has ALL those things on it!

I'm being a little too Harsh, I suppose, but I'd be lying if I said that doesn't bug me a little too. But only a little. Since I'm more the type to say "okay, this is here, how does it fit into the rest of what's here" rather than "this is here, but this is wrong" I like to think that, at some point, the Phobos we know got hit by a MUCH bigger something and was replaced, and the people of the time simply decided to adopted that new thing as the new Phobos. Some time after that, colonists moved in with terraforming and changed the place us.

As for your Saturn nitpicking: there's a reason the Saturn tileset is all asteroids and Grineer ships and why the training facilities for the Grineer in the area are "orbiters". That all said, I DO kinda like the idea of varying tilesets on a single planet, but it also sounds like a lot of programming work for something that works fine as is - and, really, I'd like to see more "planets" with more varied and cool looking tilesets to play through rather than that.

Well, I'm kind of thinking that should be THE Mars tileset. With a corpus base tileset modified so instead of snow, there's sand here and there, with a more Martian skybox. I honestly don't think eatch planet should have just one tileset. Sure there are the ship and asteroid ones. But the planetside portion of a region (planet) should have multiple tilesets as a planet (or the moons of those planets in case of the gas giants) is just too big to have just one kind of climate. 

My current hope is that the current Mars tileset stays as the Mars tileset - 'cause Icecaps and all - since, you know, that's a lot of work put into those places just to say "okay, we're not using them" (since I hope Venus gets a molten makeover and Pluto gets turned into a Corpus-Orokin hybrid supercity).

Yes, because Mars has ALL those things on it!

My current hope is that the current Mars tileset stays as the Mars tileset - 'cause Icecaps and all - since, you know, that's a lot of work put into those places just to say "okay, we're not using them" (since I hope Venus gets a molten makeover and Pluto gets turned into a Corpus-Orokin hybrid supercity).

Well, the game takes place very, VERY far in the future. If the Orokin were ever going to colonize a planet, Mars would be the priority target for terraforming. That's what I meant by ancient structures and wildlife. If you are going to terraform a planet, you also need wildlife to maintain the biosphere. And if I remember right, when Excavations were introduced, we had a anonymous benefactor who gave us the rewards. If my memory serves me right, he said something about a Martian delicacy. A squid or jellyfish, and how he'll be using the cryotic to export it (among other applications) 

Also, DE might want to update the visual look of planets themselves. Meaning when you are flying in or in a relay. If Venus is a cold climate world now (and so is Mars if that logic is to be used) both venus and mars should look much more white. Corpus bases were the second tileset that was introduced WAY back like... two years ago. It has remained relatively unchanged for all this time. I can't really remember any considerable expansions for it. So I'd like to think of it as somewhere between permanent and placeholder. 

Well, the game takes place very, VERY far in the future. If the Orokin were ever going to colonize a planet, Mars would be the priority target for terraforming. That's what I meant by ancient structures and wildlife. If you are going to terraform a planet, you also need wildlife to maintain the biosphere. And if I remember right, when Excavations were introduced, we had a anonymous benefactor who gave us the rewards. If my memory serves me right, he said something about a Martian delicacy. A squid or jellyfish, and how he'll be using the cryotic to export it (among other applications) 

Also, DE might want to update the visual look of planets themselves. Meaning when you are flying in or in a relay. If Venus is a cold climate world now (and so is Mars if that logic is to be used) both venus and mars should look much more white. Corpus bases were the second tileset that was introduced WAY back like... two years ago. It has remained relatively unchanged for all this time. I can't really remember any considerable expansions for it. So I'd like to think of it as somewhere between permanent and placeholder. 

My thought is that all of the Martian mission maps take place in their polar regions, and Venus is due for one of those tileset updates - the Corpus need something OTHER than an ice planet at this rate, don't you think?

My thought is that all of the Martian mission maps take place in their polar regions, and Venus is due for one of those tileset updates - the Corpus need something OTHER than an ice planet at this rate, don't you think?

I can live with the idea that corpus snow base is in the arctic regions. But it's still pretty placeholdery. Just giving it a more temperate or even more arid do-over would work. Grineer are currently the faction with the most diverse range of tilesets. 

I'm kind of of the perspective that Mars is this giant red desert, and Phobos is how they wanted to do Mars.  Also, on the solar map, Phobos is WAY too round.  Phobos is supposed to look like a potato; it was my mnemonic device for remembering the name when I was younger, lol.

But, I'm not here to nitpick.  Here's to hoping that De takes my suggestions at some point :)