Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Anyone Else Afraid Of The Mastery System?

KindCollusion

Right now I'm mastery rank 9 or 10 so I can basically get all the weapons but I'm worried about what it might do to the game if de realm starts taking it seriously.

See there are only a limited number of slots and while u can farm mods and trade them for platinum its can be pretty time consuming and nearly impossible for newer players. Furthermore it forces players without tons of platinum to give up weapons. I may be mastery rank 10 but I've as many playtime hours as people with much higher ranks. I just don't enjoy grind leveling new weapons. Shouldn't I be rewarded for my play time rather than my grinding of weapons since that obviously isnt my chosen end game?

All the mastery rank system does is make the game just a little more p2w and a lot more grindy. It would be okay were mastery rank supposed to be meaningless but they are locking content behind it and constantly talk about adding special benefits.

Same. I'm just MR7, but I've been playing for 7 months - I've just already got all the weapons and frames I want and want to put time into them instead of grinding levels on a bunch of stuff I don't want. 

I wish there were a more fun, or efficient way of getting Mastery. Mastery Rank should mean something and give more benefits as you go higher - but at the same time, it should be less of a boring level grind to get higher. 

I like the MR system we have, it encourages progression through diversity. Playing 500 hours with just rhino prime and boltor prime is more some peoples preference and good on them but they are not exactly seeing and experiencing everything the game has to offer so yeah I say leave it as it is... Encouraging people to try other frames, weapons, archwing, growing a kubow etc.

There are guys who have put in double the hours I have who have still to even unlock all the planets or open their first orokin vault and that's a shame, the MR system in place rewards those who experience everything the game has to offer and that's a good thing.

Everything is pretty much unlocked by MR 10 anyway and it doesn't take a mammoth effort to reach that what so ever so its not like people are being screwed over and anything but P2W.

If it stays like that great but they are talking about changing that. Plus what about all the players who dont want to grind up to 10?

Then they can choose not to and choose not to unlock everything. Noone forces you to do everything.

Trust me, guys. As a guy who has more than 1k hours, the same weapons and Frames get boring. I own every Frame. Half the slots come from P2W (my own choice) and half comes from trading Plat. As for weapons, I have a small selection that I keep, and one or two slots I have free for new weapons. If I like a weapon, I keep it and buy a new slot with the Plat I've earned from trade. If I don't like it, rank it to 30 and away it goes.

I like the MR system we have, it encourages progression through diversity. Playing 500 hours with just rhino prime and boltor prime is more some peoples preference and good on them but they are not exactly seeing and experiencing everything the game has to offer so yeah I say leave it as it is... Encouraging people to try other frames, weapons, archwing, growing a kubow etc.

There are guys who have put in double the hours I have who have still to even unlock all the planets or open their first orokin vault and that's a shame, the MR system in place rewards those who experience everything the game has to offer and that's a good thing.

Everything is pretty much unlocked by MR 10 anyway and it doesn't take a mammoth effort to reach that what so ever so its not like people are being screwed over and anything but P2W.

Frames? Sure. But weapons do not count as meaningful content as they are now. You've used one automatic rifle? You've used all of them. One bow, all of them. One machine pistol? All of them. Unless they find a way to either diversify the weapons qualitatively and not in stats only, or give missions more replay value, Mastery will be nothing other than a chore.

im almost mastery rank 9 and i have only tried things i think i might enjoy, if i dont like it, i use it till its 30 and sell it.. i dont really see a problem in the current mastery system, i do however thing there should be mastery locks on more things like the boltor prime for example. i mean if you get that as your first gun, theres really no reason to get any other.. i personally dont like the boltor, but players who are into the "best" stuff can get it so easy, and i think thats a problem.

Frames? Sure. But weapons do not count as meaningful content as they are now. You've used one automatic rifle? You've used all of them. One bow, all of them. One machine pistol? All of them. Unless they find a way to either diversify the weapons qualitatively and not in stats only, or give missions more replay value, Mastery will be nothing other than a chore.

I agree to an extent, but what about Kohm? Glaxion? Halikar? Not powerful weapons, you definitely want something else for T4 Survival. But they make mastery farming more interesting. With an xp boost and Dark Sector Defense, ranking a weapon to 30 doesn't take too long. Of course that doesn't fix the problem of weapon diversity, but I don't think that problem ruins the mastery problem.

And Void missions have plenty of replay value (Prime Stuff! Ducats! Syndicate Rep! I know all these are grindy, but missions have replay value)

Afraid of what exactly? at no point are those higher ranks required, and even if they were, you by no means have to keep every single weapon you level. If you ever lament getting rid of a weapon, make another one and level it up again. Really not a huge deal. If there is ever a time in the future where those higher mastery ranks matter, there is nothing stopping any completely free player from acquiring and leveling all of those weapons and frames.

Shotgun, snipers, melees, launchers, throwing daggers, all have different characteristics within their category

The system itself does promote diversity, I believe the problem is that automatics is lack of specially, not the design of the system

Edited by akira_him

im almost mastery rank 9 and i have only tried things i think i might enjoy, if i dont like it, i use it till its 30 and sell it.. i dont really see a problem in the current mastery system, i do however thing there should be mastery locks on more things like the boltor prime for example. i mean if you get that as your first gun, theres really no reason to get any other.. i personally dont like the boltor, but players who are into the "best" stuff can get it so easy, and i think thats a problem.

Yes, we need more of the OP items to be mastery locked, and more things locked at higher levels.

An extra way to get Mastery could be interesting, but I think it's less important than this ^

Playtime does not equal mastery rank, I have a friend who just starts up warframe, leaves it on, then goes to sleep for 12 hours, and when he comes back he starts playing, DE can't trust people by play time, thats why mastery system is needed, to show how much dedication is put into warframe through leveling and testing their gear. I actually hope they take mastery rank seriously, I'm rank 12 and got 606 hours on, so I know a lot into warframe.

Afraid of what exactly? at no point are those higher ranks required, and even if they were, you by no means have to keep every single weapon you level. If you ever lament getting rid of a weapon, make another one and level it up again. Really not a huge deal. If there is ever a time in the future where those higher mastery ranks matter, there is nothing stopping any completely free player from acquiring and leveling all of those weapons and frames.

wrong

we have reached a point

where only certain people can get the top rank

if max mastery gave big reward it would be just totally bs

there has been to many event weapons

only people here for all of them can even get top rank

so to give them reward

looking forward down the road is bogus

were gonna see top mastery be 30 one day

imagine how many event weapons that will be locked by

a S#&$ ton

rewarding people who simply grind for everything because they can or were here since day 1

and then they run the same gear as nearly everyone else

seems rather rude and beyond silly

plain dumb as dirt too.

make mastery mean more

but nothing insanely good..

there is reason we don't see alot of top rank people

only certain people will lever be able to do that

wrong

we have reached a point

Without event/founder weapons/goods you can still reach easily MR 16. So having something require MR 16 isn't being unfair or limiting to people who start after the events..

Edited by Makya

None of that makes WF P2W though.

Should there be more effective ways of gaining mastery?

Definitely.

But at the same time DE needs to start making mastery matter more then it currently does.

Right now the mastery locks mean practically nothing and there isn't much reward for being  a higher rank.

wrong

we have reached a point

there has been to many event weapons

only people here for all of them can even get top rank

so to give them reward

looking forward down the road is bogus

were gonna see top mastery be 30 one day

imagine how many event weapons that will be locked by

a S#&$ ton

rewarding people who simply grind for everything because they can or were here since day 1

and then they run the same gear as nearly everyone else

seems rather rude and beyond silly

plain dumb as dirt too.

make mastery mean more

but nothing insanely good..

there is reason we don't see alot of top rank people

only certain people will lever be able to do that

Not true. Event weapons (there hasn't been many) are highly likely to be re-released and obtainable in the future. Just like event mods.

You can also guarantee DE will have enough weapons and ways of gaining mastery by then that everyone can reach the top rank.

Its silly to think otherwise.

DE are constantly releasing new weapons.

The reason you don't see a lot of top rank players is because they either cannot be bothered to grind out weapons and simply don't care or because it takes a long time to reach said rank. It has very little to do with event weapons etc.

wrong

we have reached a point where only certain people can get the top rank

if max mastery gave big reward it would be just totally bs there has been to many event weapons

only people here for all of them can even get top rank so to give them reward looking forward down the road is bogus

Its not that big a difference actually.

According to the wiki the top Mastery Rank achievable at the moment is (as of Update 15.8.0) Mastery Rank 18, Gold Eagle with 896,796 Mastery Points.

If you exclude the event, founder and retired items etc that are currently unavailable the maximum rank that is achievable is... Mastery Rank 18 with 839,796 Mastery Points.

And DE have said that some of the event stuff will be brought back, possibly when those events turn into quest lines, or for other events.

Edited by Grimlar

A mastery rank 0 newb can get a boltor prime. you tell me. Hek is rank 4 and it sucks. Rhino is rank 2 and he's most likely going to be your second warframe, due to being right next to Mercury. We need weak weapons to go first and strong weapons to go last. I have not created like 30 weapons because they suck and to be honest getting to mastery rank 8 isn't hard.

I agree to an extent, but what about Kohm? Glaxion? Halikar? Not powerful weapons, you definitely want something else for T4 Survival. But they make mastery farming more interesting. With an xp boost and Dark Sector Defense, ranking a weapon to 30 doesn't take too long. Of course that doesn't fix the problem of weapon diversity, but I don't think that problem ruins the mastery problem.

And Void missions have plenty of replay value (Prime Stuff! Ducats! Syndicate Rep! I know all these are grindy, but missions have replay value)

Um Kohm has the highest dps in the game as far as Warframe Builder(consider that you must actually multiply the listed damage x10 to account for the Kohm at full spool) is concerned. But it is counterbalanced by the need to use your ammo in a highly efficient manner.

Back to the OP, once MR actually matters in the slightest there will be a revamp in the way MR is calculated.  People will have to get it some other way than needlessly grind away at weapons you do not like. If they do that however there will have to be some other way they get you to keep playing the game for long hours and that looks like it is getting harder and harder to entice people to do given the grindy nature of the game. Considering how off-putting that is to some players it is a difficult row to hoe to say the least.

You can "encourage" a horse to water. Making it drink is another story.

Not everyone likes the same things in a game. Anyone who is annoyed at games that lock too many things behind a ton of extra work just to shoot stupid AI would come here and have a lot more freedom. Starting to lock that freedom down will just make them go elsewhere.

Rank 8 Unlocks everything. The Soma is MR6. MR6 is 90,000 Affinity.

As a starter player you need to make and throw away Frames and Weapons to get that much, unless you have Plat. If people are already set on a handful of weapons and Frames, they have to "do things they don't enjoy", ie "grind" unwanted Frames and weapons to get there.

Since MR can be gained by weapons that never leave the holster, it's just an artificial constraint, and does not mean anything.

Edited by DSpite

Just to add some context I have about 1200+ hours. And I've farmed deep late game t4 voids. Farmed up the boltor prime and loki prime, rhino prime and even the latron prime back when the drop tables were bugged. Those are only a few of the things i have. Thats not even considering forma all of my fav weapons are formaed to death. Shoot my volt is formaed something like 7 times. So I've put in my work. If something meaningful gets locked behind a grind wall past mr 10 I'm just not sure I could bear it.

Dont get me wrong I understand that it encourages diversity but some people don't want diversity.

Also think about it, the way they nerf and buff things and make half if the new stuff at least temporarily OP and then come out with a better version later... It all just kind of discourages anything but buying new stuff with plat.

Sure, ranking game time may not be wise, especially for those who just stay logged in. Couldn't we rank mission time though? Couldn't every mission completed add to mastery rank? Couldn't we rank people for forma work?