Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Have To Wonder Where Tenno Get The Names They Call Themselves

Terumitsu

And no, not the name of the frames.

I mean like the whole eclectic gamut of something that could pass for a name, is a real name, or is '420swaggarnoscopebecauseIpreferanothermouthwashbrand.'

Because, as much as some might try to blot it out, every one of these names are 'Lore canon.' And I derive no small amount of amusement from that.

Still, it makes one wonder, Lore-wise, where do these names come from? Where they scribbled in the cryopod that the Tenno was forced out of? Is it their only sense of who they were in the past? Is it something they just decided to call themselves since they had no memory of what they were before just because they needed to be called something?

Will we ever see any NPCs of the Tenno faction calling themselves something equally silly at some point in the future?

Just something I felt might be an interesting topic to ramble over.

• Like 1

In my humble opinion (and player names aside) I believe Tenno to not use names like we have - so no Matthew, Marks, Tims, or Cheryls - but rather have codenames or callsigns they call each other buy.

I also believe this to be where the names of the Alt Helmets come from - Tenno who had a particularly different helmet design (for whatever reason) that went on to prove themselves heroes amongst the Tenno. At one point there was an Excalibur-user named/codenamed Pendragon who had a helmet design of what the helmet we call Pendragon has in the modern system; somehow, somewhere, he did something so great that the helmet design of the on he wore was named in his honor and donned by other Tenno looking to emulate his greatness.

Likewise for Vespa, Essence, Scorpion, Locust, and all the others.

EDIT: As for my player name:

Long ago I came up with the name Morec and became horribly and ridiculously attached to it. Shortly thereafter I tried to use it to create an Xbox Live account and had it rejected because I needed a number - so I chose 0. Since then, I've used it as my go-to Gamer Tag.

Edited by Morec0
  • Like 1

Well... I chose this name because Fate, a dungeon crawler by WildTangent, is one of my favorite games.

Pondera is latin for balance or equilibrium.

So, FATEdPondera means that balance is destined.

And my enemies call me Fate because I deliver them to theirs.

*mic drop*

I mean I thought I was clever using "Swaggergasted", but I've loled at some of the more clever ones....Swagnum P.I. if you're out there......I love you, and I want you to know I cannot watch Magnum P.I. with out having a nice chuckle.

I get dissapointed when people try to figure out what my name means, and come up with this:

Czar obviously being Russian, which is true, and what I intended.

Kai being some Japanese crap? No.

My name is literally half of the German word "Kaiser" attached to the Russian word "Czar."

Because they're both leadership titles.

You'd think more people would get that.

EDIT:

I've had people nicknamed me "Caik" or "Cake" because they are either cake or spelled to sound like cake.

Which I'm fine with.

Edited by Kaiczar

I heard its to do with being posessed by the spirits of a bunch of teenage humans from thousands of years ago who think having numbers in thier names somehow validates them as a person.

Q.Q

1000 to me is significant because it's the ending of a joke that got me interested in binary etc, this eventually got me the job I currently have and enjoy very much.

Edited by Somedude1000

I picked this name due to being called a meth doctor since I made a absurd amount of potions in several games, and always playing the healer. (I like buffing) It was originally Doc. Metheria but I shorthanded it to just Metheria. So yes that means i'm just a meth addict now that I think about it.

Morec0's take on it is basically my take on it. Codenames. We have to call each other something.

But then again, calling the name of Xx{_420I_am_the_ONE_who_knocks360_}xX might be a chore.

EDIT: My computer derped. I had to un-derp it.

Edited by Snydrex

I heard its to do with being posessed by the spirits of a bunch of teenage humans from thousands of years ago who think having numbers in thier names somehow validates them as a person.

B-but I use numbers because it's the same as my email address, and it's my birth date so I wouldn't forget it. If I only use my name, the system said there's already someone registered under that name. Hence, the numbers...

I get dissapointed when people try to figure out what my name means, and come up with this:

Czar obviously being Russian, which is true, and what I intended.

Kai being some Japanese crap? No.

My name is literally half of the German word "Kaiser" attached to the Russian word "Czar."

Because they're both leadership titles.

You'd think more people would get that.

I thought it was something like that although more of a phonetic combination of Czar and 'Caesar' as 'Caesar' pronounced properly, is 'Kai-zhar.' Also Czar is derived from Caesar.

Hurra for the latin word for 'Hairy!'

Edited by Terumitsu

Morec0's take on it is basically my take on it. Codenames. We have to call each other something.

But then again, calling the name of Xx{_420I_am_the_ONE_who_knocks360_}xX might be a chore.

As for my name, I

Love the Breaking Bad reference. The world doesn't have enough of those.

^ it is pronounced like that, actually.

If the way that spelling sounds in my head is correct.

We probably have a shared understanding of what each other is getting at at this point then.

I think it's a pretty cool name at any rate, at least.