Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is Your Stance On Child Disciplinary Actions.

JaysInc

The worst physical punishment I received was my parents flicked my ear and I was a generally well behaved child and turned out to be a pretty descent member of society.  Generally I see it as not necessary, but I am neither a parent or a psychology major that specializes in behavioral modification.

Nothing wrong with it as long as it's not overboard, and overboard means you start leaving permanent marks.

^

Kids are stupid, but everyone responds to good bit ol' pain. Give them the paddle once in a while when they warrant it and that'll stop them fast.

There is nothing wrong with spankings and such but I shouldn't go overboard like smacks to the face, punches, ect. I've heard that positive reinforcement works better though, then again I'm only 17 with no kid so what do I know. :P

Edited by Rakshal

I was smacked around as a kid when I acted out of turn. The thing is though, is it happened only a few times and then I learned that it wasn't the pain I should be fearing, but that there was a consequence for disrespectful action.

I feel, however, that this learning method doesn't work for everyone. And then there are the parents who sometimes take it to far.

I don't think it's good. When you hurt kids and then tell them what they did was not good, they won't really try to understand ur reason for saying so as much as they'd rather not want to get hurt again. I strongly believe in making them understand the why rather than skipping it and then just letting your hand do the explaining instead of your mind. Explaining things to kids can be a pain due to their naivete and innocence.  I believe, but I'm not an expert to claim this, that kids will grow into people who obey the law due to fear of getting retribution rather than because they think that it's the right thing to do so and that it yields the best results for everyone.

In general, I don't really like violence against children. Heck, even in games i find hurting kids deplorable.

Edited by Beef-DeathLegacy

In general, I don't really like violence against children. Heck, even in games i find hurting kids deplorable.

I'm gonna sound like a really bad person, but I installed mods in Skyrim that allowed me to kill kids. Most of the kids in that game needed to die! >:o

Edited by Rakshal

It's usually fine, plus corpal punishment Is THE ONLY way to teach special children manners, but few have the heart to do it.

I just say ANYONE can do this

Spit on people = OWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

I'm gonna sound like a really bad person, but I installed mods in Skyrim that allowed me to kill kids. Most of the kids in that game needed to die! >:o

You are perfectly normal.

My sister is 14 and I think she still needs a flippin' smack with her attitude. Then again she is a teenager, I was the same at her age (and I used to get a smack round the back of the head ;A; ). 21 and now I'm mostly well behaved now. Mostly.

I think it's needed, but not to the point of breaking a child's arm or whatever. I see kids around here that are A******s with a penchant for stealing, because their parents let them do what they want with no consequence and no amount of simple verbal telling off will do a thing.

Edited by Tyrala

I grew up with the wooden spoon, the solid as **** plastic spoon, smacks, punches, leather belts, and even the steel capped boots. I don't have a problem with physical discipline, so long as it is not taken too far. Some times words are not enough, some people don't know how to discipline there child or are too afraid to do so, this in turn is bad for the child as it can turn them into what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

I won't tell you how you should discipline your child, that is for you to figure out, but I will quote one thing: "Do not raise your children the way you were raised, for they are born for a different time" - In other words raise them the way you think they should be raised.

Edited by (PS4)Pharen

I think an occasional meeting with a belt or sandal is good for a child. Especially if they like to have attitude. I understand being a teenager means that you're rebellious and all, but even as a teenager I know I shouldn't talk back my parents, and I'll beyond screwed if I do.

"Do not raise your children the way you were raised, for they are born for a different time"

Tell that to my dad... lol

^

Kids are stupid, but everyone responds to good bit ol' pain. Give them the paddle once in a while when they warrant it and that'll stop them fast.

Some kids it's not even the pain, just the act.

I grew up with the wooden spoon, the solid as **** plastic spoon, smacks, punches, leather belts, and even the steel capped boots. I don't have a problem with physical discipline, so long as it is not taken too far. Some times words are not enough, some people don't know how to discipline there child or are too afraid to do so, this in turn is bad for the child as it can turn them into what you are trying to avoid in the first place.

I won't tell you how you should discipline your child, that is for you to figure out, but I will quote one thing: "Do not raise your children the way you were raised, for they are born for a different time" - In other words raise them the way you think they should be raised.

Wow, did our parents share notes on corporal punishment?

Having been on the receiving end of that level of punishment, I wouldn't be able to do that to any child.  The farthest I've ever gone was spankings, and even then it was more about the contact than the pain.  It's the thought that pops up "Wow, I really messed up, they're actually spanking me!" 

Than you get kids like one of my nephews who doesn't respond to pain like a normal person.  He laughs! That's when you have to find an alternate punishment, like running around the backyard for an hr or handing them a bag full of bricks and telling them to hold it at chest height for 10 minutes.

EDIT: I'd like to point out that things like "beatings" should be a last resort.  Talk to the kid, explain why they shouldn't do the thing.  If they keep doing, talk to them and explain why they're getting spanked or "beat"

Edited by Noamuth

I don't think it's good. When you hurt kids and then tell them what they did was not good, they won't really try to understand ur reason for saying so as much as they'd rather not want to get hurt again. I strongly believe in making them understand the why rather than skipping it and then just letting your hand do the explaining instead of your mind. Explaining things to kids can be a pain due to their naivete and innocence.  I believe, but I'm not an expert to claim this, that kids will grow into people who obey the law due to fear of getting retribution rather than because they think that it's the right thing to do so and that it yields the best results for everyone.

Well, I got whooped with switches, and I perfectly understood why. You explain why they are getting punished, but that doesn't mean you remove the actual punishment.

As well, what you're talking about, growing into people who obey the law, doesn't come from just punishment. The parent has to actually teach the child. No parent should punish their child if they haven't already taught their child that what they did was wrong and what is the right thing to do.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Im against it. for me it seams like the kids may end up fearing the parents for what they did even if there is only a tiny amount of fear.

I also think that if they misbehaving or doing something that you don't want just explain to them why you don't like it, not matter how young they are.

they might be smarter then you think and understand the situation better then you expected them to.

if you show respect for them for long enough they might start showing it back to you.

Im against it. for me it seams like the kids may end up fearing the parents for what they did even if there is only a tiny amount of fear.

I also think that if they misbehaving or doing something that you don't want just explain to them why you don't like it, not matter how young they are.

they might be smarter then you think and understand the situation better then you expected them to.

if you show respect for them for long enough they might start showing it back to you.

Almost the same thing a woman said to me at the park when I was a teenager.  After she said this, her son came over and started throwing rocks and bark at her.  She just sat there asking him to stop and explaining that it was wrong.  He laughed the entire time and then ran off to throw rocks and bark at other people.

Don't get me wrong, some kids it works on.  I have 7 nephews and they all react differently to certain kinds of discipline. There are a couple that just don't get it until they have their hands slapped or get spankings, a couple that you can reason with and the other three are a mixed bag.  But at some point you have to realize that just talking to them isn't going to work and then change tactics.

Not punishing a child, either with talks, time out or spankings, is teaching them that there are no repercussions to their actions, so there's no reason for them to even attempt to behave and be a "good" person.   It's a pretty lame thing to cripple your kid like that.

Edited by Noamuth