Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Innocents

Kalenath

Miscoding

Jesselle had no idea what she was doing. But she had to do something. The only good news was that the doctor apparently could not access her mind, despite having control of her body and ability. Otherwise he would know she wasn't in the hospital. She squelched any thought of where she actually was as her body stepped forward and her eyes swept over the still Tenno and MOA that stood nearby. They moved without her control.

"All this time..." The male voice from her throat sounded bemused. "All this effort and a base gives us access." Jesselle snarled and redoubled her efforts to break free. He sighed. "Be silent, slave!"

Something slammed into her. She rolled as she had been taught. Sort of. It wasn't physical, but... She was...elsewhere. She stood in a golden room. The walls... She stared as the walls of the room came alive. The walls were golden code! It was scrolling from the ceiling to the floor and... She stared. She could read it! An anguished scream came from nearby and she spun in place to see a warframe fighting...something. No... Four somethings! The warframe was female anatomically, but...

Jesselle jerked as lines of dark code slammed from the four things surrounding the warframe. Golden code shimmered into place around the Tenno and she held firm despite the onslaught. Jesselle felt... odd. Calm. Suddenly, she wasn't afraid. She stared down and... her hands were glowing with golden code. It crept up her body and she smiled and she sat. She was no warrior. She did not have to be. She did know code. She had always wanted to be an programmer and analyst, not a field agent like her mom and dad. She knew her strengths and weaknesses better than any Grineer.

"This mind is ours!" The four things said in eerie unison. The Tenno did not respond, the bladed staff she held motionless, ready to strike or parry.

"Is it?" Jesselle asked quietly. The Tenno did not move as two of the four things that surrounded her focused on Jesselle. "There is a problem with that."

"You are nothing!" The voice snapped. "A weak, puling base who will serve Grineer perfection." The Trinity warframe... -Jesselle recognized it now- paused.

"Perfection?" Jesselle asked, her tone calm despite one of the things now striding for her. "Far from it. You put the command line in M-1, didn't you?" She shook her head. "I felt... off as soon as she hugged me. She didn't know. How could she?" The girl asked rhetorically. "Actually. All three of them." She mused. But her mind was moving at lightspeed. "You do know that my mind is going to burn out very quickly in the real world." She asked and the four malevolent entities seemed to pause at her clinical tone. "Yes?"

"What are you doing?" The other demanded, suddenly suspicious.

"Me?" Jesselle asked quietly. "What can a weak puling base do?" She asked as her consciousness insinuated itself into the code that was now suffusing every corner of her... her mind. She smiled. "This. Tenno?" She asked and the Trinity stared at her. "My fight. Thank you." She inclined her head and crossed her arms in a formal bow.

"What are you doing?" The Grineer mind  snapped.

"Just out of curiosity, you sorry mental copy of an insane doctor... Since I am not a medical professional or a trained telepath." Jesselle said softly, but rage lay just underneath. "What happens to a mind if it is inside another that dies?"

"Girl..." The voice was the Trinity was hushed. "Don't..."

"He will flee." Jesselle said with a sigh. "He is no warrior. He is a bully. Threaten him with someone who can fight back and he will flee. Every time. I just hope someone finds you soon, Doctor Tengus. Finds you and ends you."

"You are mine!" The four voice screamed in unison.

"F*** you." Jesselle worked to project the most rebellious, teenage offhand dismissal that she could manage. Then she paused. "Actually... Ick..." She shook her head. "No, I don't want to. Go... play with a Sand Skate or something. Maybe have fun with a Drahk? That is more in line with what you Grineer do anyway. You are all animals. Every last one."

"Rich coming from a base." The Grineer mind said firmly as two of the dark forms advanced on Jesselle's still seated form. "You are so primitive it is pathetic. Your diversions are quaint."

"I am not a soldier or warrior." Jesselle said with a sigh that turned into a smirk as one of the dark forms suddenly vanished. A hole in the floor sealed. A pit had opened as it had stepped forward. "Then again... I do not have to be. My mind. My rules." A scream tore from the three throats as the Trinity was in motion, her bladed staff slicing as she attacked the two forms that were frozen in place near her. "I do know code."

"You will die when I decide! Until then, you will serve!" The third dark from was approaching now, it's vaguely humanoid form hazy and indistinct even here. It was composed of dark code.

"As she said, there is a minor problem with that." A new voice sounded and Jesselle stared as a dark form appeared beside her. The male Tenno wore a warframe with odd golden hoops on its head. One hand held a huge glowing golden mace. Olim, the Cyberlancer! The Clergy had heard...some. "She isn't yours."

"The base is mine!" The other screamed as the Trinity sliced one of the dark forms in half. It fell, both halves scrabbling for purchase on the floor. She stamped and one half vanished in a haze of golden code. "It is mine!"

"My name is Jesselle." The girl said firmly as golden code formed around her hands. "And I am not your slave." She finished the code and looked at the Frost Prime. "Check me?"

"It is good." Olim reassured her gently. Jesselle nodded and threw a hand forward. The code flew from it to hit the dark from. In moments, the darkness was wrapped in an ever growing coil of golden code. Tendrils of said golden code flew as the thing struggled. Bits landed on each other dark form and suddenly all three were struggling in bonds of gold. The Trinity lowered her weapon and stepped away as each was pulled into tighter and tighter bundles. Olim nodded to Jesselle. "Nicely done."

"I... I don't know what to do now." Jesselle said weakly. "It... This isn't something they taught in any of my classes."

"No." Olim said as he laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "How long have you known?"

"I... wasn't sure what it was." Jesselle said sadly. "Coding was always easy for me. But this kind of thing always felt wrong."

"Your telepathy was enhanced." Olim said quietly. "What do you sense?"

"I can't scan you!" Jesselle said with a snap. She froze as his hand tightened on her shoulder. "I can't... You are Tenno... I will die. The power is different... I am..." She went still as he knelt beside her.

"Jesselle... trust me." Olim said gently. "Close your eyes. Still your mind. What do you sense?"

"But I can't!" Jesselle wailed. The Trinity knelt on her other side, the female Tenno taking her hands in a gentle grip.

"The only limits are the ones we set ourselves, Jesselle." The Trinity said gently. "Either way, this is going to hurt, girl. Change is rarely pleasant or easy. This... will be a rebirth in a number of ways. Your mother loves you, will always love you. But you need help and the Clergy cannot. We can."

"I am scared." Jesselle said as the three dark forms were pulled into tiny orbs that flew into a hand that the Trinity held up. The warframe laid her hand back on Jesselle's.

"I know." The female Tenno said with a sigh. "But you are not alone."

"I..." Jesselle focused on her breathing and forced her mind to still. "What are my options?"

"You have three." The Trinity said quietly. "One, you go to sleep and do not wake up. A cerebral hemorrhage. You will be mourned. " She was crying now and Jesselle bowed her head. "Two, you wake up back at the Clergy breeding colony. All of this will have been a bad dream. You will have no telepathy or any other gifts and while others may act oddly around you on occasion, you will not take note of it. You will live, have children, perhaps find love and perhaps not. In the end, you will perish as a human."

"And I will never see my mother again." Jesselle said softly. Olim and the Trinity both nodded. "And third?"

"You join us." Olim said softly. Jesselle stared at him.

"But I am human." Jesselle said weakly.

"So?" The Trinity and Frost Prime both chorused.

"I am not like you." Jesselle said weakly. "I... I am not Tenno."

"I was not born Tenno, Jesselle." The Trinity said quietly. "And the gift... The ability to do what you did here... is rare. Very, very rare."

"In all my time of searching, I have only found two who have the ability." Olim agreed. "One is you. Even Abigail cannot do what you did here, Jesselle."

"But..." Jesselle protested.

"Jesselle..." The Trinity said gently. "You created this virtual world. I was battling the controls across your mind and then I was here, with all four of them in one place. Then you trapped one." She paused. "Where, by the way?"

"It is trying to find its way out of a loop. It fell and will keep falling." Jesselle said weakly. She groaned as Olim and the Trinity started to laugh. "Hey! I was in a rush."

"Möbius loops..." Trinity said with a snort. "Got to love infinite repeatability."

"As long as you are not stuck in them." Olim said with a grunt. "Jesselle... we could use your help. Humanity as whole could use your help. But you have to choose. Here and now. We have an opportunity to do something that will make a difference. But it will hurt. A lot."

"But..." Jesselle slumped a bit. "Iriana, Shelia... all of the others on the Relay... they are in danger."

"No, they are not." Olim reassured her. "The only one in danger is you. And if you choose option three... It is going to get worse."

"Why?" Jesselle asked carefully.

"Because the first step is betraying us to the Grineer."

Jesselle came awake screaming. Every nerve in her body was on fire.

"Jesselle, Jesselle, easy, girl." Iriana's voice was close at hand. Something brushed Jesselle's forehead and the pain tore through her again. "It's okay. It is okay. We got it out. It's okay, Jesselle."

"No it's not." Jesselle said weakly. "It's...still here. Not the kid's fault..." She said as she tried to move and groaned. "Can't... Got to..."

"You need to sleep." Iriana's voice turned stern and something hissed nearby, but Jesselle was ready. She let her rhythms slow even as she countered the drug. It was amazing. She could...feel every nerve. Every synapse. She could feel every muscle and nerve. She could count every neuron in her brain. But she did not have time. She focused her senses as Olim had shown her and insinuated a bit of herself into the table monitors to show herself falling asleep. She eased her consciousness into the surveillance systems and none of them so much as blipped. She... "Oh, you crazy girl..." Iriana was crying now.

"I can do it." Jesselle said, opening her eyes. Iriana sat beside her bed, her eyes red. "I am not being stupid now, Iriana. I can do it. You got the organic matrix out." This was not a question. "The telepathy will fade, given time."

"You know they will hunt you, Jesselle." Iriana said sadly. "The Grineer will do what they do. The Tenno... They have to. Karl in particular will hunt you as fiercely as he can."

"I know." Jesselle said sadly. "He has to. To keep up the pretense long enough. The backup plan will activate in six minutes, Iriana. Get out of here. Please!"

"You..." Iriana bent close and kissed Jesselle's brow. "Come back to us, girl." She shook her head, rose and was gone.

Jesselle waited a moment before rising. She wore a patient gown and her head had bandages on it. She sighed and strode to the door. It was locked, but opened to her touch of code. Outside, the corridors were empty and she strode to the door she knew led to the kid's cell. Again, the locks posed no difficulty. N-1 and the other boy, she knew now he was Z-1, looked up and froze as she stepped in.

"Miss Jesselle?" N-1 asked cautiously. She knelt and shook her head. "What...?"

"You will hate me." Jesselle said softly. "And I deserve it. But I will not let them take you again." N-1 stared at her. "You will hear many things about me, most true. I wish... I wish I could be the momma you need."

"Miss Jesselle..." N-1 said slowly as M-1 sat up on the bed, her eyes going huge. "What is going on?"

"It is not your fault." Jesselle said softly. "It never was. They will interrogate you, but they will be kind. Know that no matter what, I do love you." She slumped a bit as M-1 started to cry, not understanding the sudden emotions. "Good luck, kids." She was on her feet and standing between the children and the golden portal as it opened and a pair of armored Grineer jumped through. "You idiots!" She snapped and both of them froze as power washed over them from her. "You just blew my cover!"

"Miss Jesselle!" N-1 was on his feet, his eyes huge as Jesselle moved to stand by the Grineer who looked confused. "What?"

"We have at most five seconds before this room incinerates or a team of Tenno come barging in!" Jesselle screamed at the Grineer. "Get me out of here, you stupid male!" She snapped off a code and both Grineer froze. "Now, damn it!"

"Come!" The Grineer on the left grabbed hold of Jesselle's arm as the door burst in and a pair of Tenno entered. The Frost Prime fired his pistol. Jesselle staggered, staring down at... the red on her stomach. Then the world washed golden.

"Momma!" M-1's impassioned scream was the last thing Jesselle heard for some time.

"Not their fault." Olim holstered his Lato as he moved between the furious Rhino and the three kids who lay on the floor. None dared to move. "Karl, it is not their fault."

"How long have you known?" Karl demanded.

"About them?" Olim jerked his head to where the kids lay. "Eighteen hours. About the doctor trying to get an agent into the hospital? About twelve." Karl snarled at him and Olim sighed. "Karl, it had to be done. He was going to try. The kids are clean now."

"And Jesselle?" Karl demanded. The door behind him opened and Iriana bustled in. The Healer made a beeline to where M-1 sat on the bed, sobbing. She folded the crying girl into her arms and beckoned to the two boys who stepped to her and then returned the embrace when she pulled them close.

"Get. Out." Iriana snapped at Karl who stared at her and then bowed and left the room, Olim on his heels. Just outside, a medical MOA was all but dancing in worry. Olim nodded to Sheila.

"Take care of them." Olim said heavily. "The controls are deep, and not complete in any of them. It took all three of them to put the command line in Jesselle. They are disabled now."

"What the hell?" Karl demanded as Sheila bobbed and entered the room. "What have you done, Olim?"

"What I had to, Karl." Olim said heavily. "I did what I had to. She is alive. They won't kill her. Not now."

"Why did you aim for her gut?" Karl demanded. "A head shot would have left them nothing to salvage. To torture."

"I can't say everything, Karl." Olim said softly. "The bullet was a tracker. We have a partial trace. We will need to find more."

"Have you lost your bloody mind?" Karl snapped. "You let them take her. You blocked my shot! We have to kill her now!"

"I know." Olim said sadly. "I know."

"Then tell me why!" Karl demanded. "Why not end her misery? You know what they will do to her!"

"They won't hurt her, Karl." Olim said softly. "They won't dare."

"What do you mean 'They won't dare'?" Karl snapped, patience fled. "They are Grineer! They kill humans!"

"Because the queens wanted her, Karl." Olim said softly. Karl froze in place and Olim nodded. "They wanted her before Tengus lost her and they want her now. As soon as the Grineer realize exactly what they have, they will treat her very, very gently. Very carefully. Very un-Grineer."

"And what do they have, Olim?" Karl asked, his tone frigid.

"The key to Orokin." Olim said sadly. "She is the key to Orokin. Or so they believe."

Far, far across the Solar System, Janet woke. Her eyes were burning.

"My girl..." She sobbed. "My poor brave girl..."

"Oracle?" Juliet V-54 asked from her seat by the pool Janet was lying in. "What is wrong?"

"It has begun." Janet said as the fear and anger left her. She felt... empty now. "Jesselle is out of our reach. Out of everyone's. She is on her own."

"Your daughter is resourceful, Oracle." Juliet reassured her. "She will find..." She trailed off as Janet's puffy eyes met hers. "Oracle?" She asked, tentative as Oracle sighed.

"When they are done with her, she won't be my daughter. I should have known." Janet said sadly. "I should have seen..."

"You are too close, Janet." Nikis' voice preceded the Tenno into the Oracle's resting chamber. "Your visions of her will be unpredictable. Dangerously so."

"I know." Janet said weakly. "Nikis..." She begged. "She is my daughter! What can I do?"

"Trust her." Nikis said as he knelt and took her hand in a gentle grip. "She is not foolish no matter how she acts. She knows what she is doing and she is not alone."

"They... they..." Janet sobbed as he held her hand. "They will make her Grineer!"

"No." Nikis said softly. "They won't."

"But they are going to try real hard."

Edited by Kalenath

"Key to Orokin."  Yaaaay.

Translation:  Gorramit Kal.  What have you done now?

ok forget the BLU-82s...... I have 750 thousand tons of NALPAM with the queens godamnned names on it... BURN BABYS BURN!!!!!!

I'm sure we can find something even more nasty if we try.  A few thousand vials of weaponized anthrax, perhaps?

"Key to Orokin."  Yaaaay.

Translation:  Gorramit Kal.  What have you done now?

I'm sure we can find something even more nasty if we try.  A few thousand vials of weaponized anthrax, perhaps?

nah...I hear the North Koreans are working on some REALLY nasty bio/chemical weapons so perhaps something from their stocks?

The long term goals of the Grineer are illogical. The Grineer are not self-sufficient. Exterminating all other factions would result in the extinction of their own faction. They senselessly refused to be reasoned with. It would seem as if genetic degradation has affected their mental proficiency. Their battle tactics are utterly brain-dead. They make no agreements for peace, no truces, no cease fires. They are blinded by their own twisted, arrogant vision of perfection. They act horrifically self destructively. They are an unintelligent species bound for extinction, doomed to failure by their own stupidity. I treat them as what they are: mindless, dying animals. I am more than happy to help them on their way.

nah...I hear the North Koreans are working on some REALLY nasty bio/chemical weapons so perhaps something from their stocks?

The long term goals of the Grineer are illogical. The Grineer are not self-sufficient. Exterminating all other factions would result in the extinction of their own faction. They senselessly refused to be reasoned with. It would seem as if genetic degradation has affected their mental proficiency. Their battle tactics are utterly brain-dead. They make no agreements for peace, no truces, no cease fires. They are blinded by their own twisted, arrogant vision of perfection. They act horrifically self destructively. They are an unintelligent species bound for extinction, doomed to failure by their own stupidity. I treat them as what they are: mindless, dying animals. I am more than happy to help them on their way.

*begins checking weapons*

Just say when firepower is needed....

Let's just say, if it makes Grineer die, we are happy.

Bonus points for slow, messy, and agonizing.

Edited by Temperance000

Let's just say, if it makes Grineer die, we are happy.

Bonus points for slow, messy, and agonizing.

Y'know with all of the Orokin's technological advances... I'm sure they must have a ranged itching powder like thing. Gotta scratch itches right?

Killing is never quite as satisfying if the enemy doesn't realize why they're dying, and doesn't regret what they did to make you want to end their existence. When I kill, I want to make it slow, not to prolong the pain, but to give the enemy time to be sorry, to drown in the knowledge that they could have done something different to prolong their life. Then, when they accept that what they did was wrong, I deal them their true punishment: the end of their existence. For some reason, it is far more rewarding for me to crush an enemy's spirit than it is to simply obliterate them. That is why killing Grineer feels so empty to me, because no matter what you do to them, they will forever think that you are Tenno skoom and that they are superior to you. It is more akin to ridding your house of vermin than defeating and breaking a foe.

Anyone can kill. It is not satisfying to kill an enemy. It is satisfying to break an enemy.

Edited by 4G3NT_0R4NG3

Y'know with all of the Orokin's technological advances... I'm sure they must have a ranged itching powder like thing. Gotta scratch itches right?

that gives me an idea.... genetically modified mosquitoes the size of sparrows anyone? sic em on the grineer and watch the chaos.......

From frying pan into fire

Jesselle was terrified but hid it as well as she could. Her body was walking beside the two Grineer marines who had grabbed her. Both had hands on her arms but... it was odd. Neither of them had hurt her. It was... more as if they were supporting her now that her gut felt like it was on fire. Other Grineer stared as they passed, red falling as she walked, but she was busy.

How long? Jesselle asked as she wove a complicated structure around her inner being. I mean... a human only has so much blood in her body. If I bleed out, it does no one any good.

If you fall, they will carry you. The Trinity said quietly from the deepest recesses of the girl's mind. The wound will not kill you quickly. That is it, Jesselle.  The other said quietly as Jesselle finished up. Done.

Are you sure?" Jesselle asked, poking the odd thing with a mental finger. I have never done anything like this.

I am sure. The other said quietly and then something suffused Jesselle's mind. It felt... like an embrace. She relaxed a little. She wasn't alone. Your innermost thoughts are your own. Not even a telepath can access them now. The Grineer have no chance, no matter how hard they try.

I should have asked before... Jesselle said, a bit timid. What do I call you?

Call me Trinity. The other said with a gentle laugh. Relax Jesselle. I know this is hard. Harder than anything you have done. But it will make a difference.

I don't know if relaxing is going to be possible. Jesselle said as her body was led into a larger, brighter room. It was laid out as a medical ward. A dozen unarmored female forms surrounded a Grineer in odd looking armor who scrutinized Jesselle as she was led in front of him.

"What is...this?" The voice was familiar. The doctor. To her amazement, Jesselle felt her fear fade a bit as she answered. All around, the unarmored females attention was absolute. More than a bit unnerving.

"The plan failed." Jesselle kept her voice level. "The controls were discovered and neutralized. The Tenno did not take this agent to the hospital. This agent was discovered and extracted with vital information."

"What information?" Doctor Tengus sounded bored now, his eyes roved away from the bleeding human in front of him.

"Unable to state." Jesselle kept her calm. It was hard. "Higher authorization needed."

"Higher than mine?" Doctor Tengus demanded. Jesselle did not move and the clones holding her tightened their grip. "Explain!" The doctor commanded.

"Unauthorized persons present. Unable to state." Jesselle said firmly. "This body is failing. Vital information within. Request download." Doctor Tengus shrugged and nodded to a table nearby. Jesselle jerked her arms from the Marines and strode to the table. All of the Grineer stared as she lay down on it. "Hail the Queens." Jesselle stated as she lay back.

Darkness roared up within Jesselle as pain flared in her abdomen. Terror followed it, but she kept it at bay. Machinery swung down around her skull and she remained still as she was restrained.

I have you, girl. Trinity promised. We have you. Go with...

Then the machinery activated.

"What is the meaning of this?" The furious voices were not -quite- screaming as she woke. She felt... optimal. Readouts scrolled across her prosthetic eye's display, showing her systems fully functional. Both of her prosthetic legs were operating in proper parameters. "Who authorized changing the subject?"

"My queens..." For the first time, Doctor Tengus sounded less than totally assured. "It is a base!"

"It is a key!" The two voices screamed as one. "A key you have broken! First the Grustag 3, then the Infested and now this? Our patience was not infinite, doctor." Now the voices turned cold. "Reclaimers. Tend the doctor until we return. Keep him alive, but make it hurt." A scream tore from the doctor's throat and the queens laughed, it was menacing, that laugh. "Oh, don't worry, doctor. We will return... in a week or so. Bring her."

Jesselle felt herself lifted and then laid on something that yielded underneath her. The screams continued behind her, mixed with female chuckles and other gleeful sounds.

"Can you hear us?" The voices were close at hand now as Jesselle felt movement. Jesselle tried to speak and found it hard. She forced words out.

"I...obey... my queens..." Jesselle managed. "I...serve..."

"Indeed you do." The voices were thoughtful now. "If anyone had said a base would show us the way, we would have laughed. But now? You are not a base." They paused. "Commander De Thaym, find the rest of her. The doctor took bits. Find them. We will need them to repair what he did or to clone."

"At once, my Queens." A harsh female voice sounded from nearby and then a clang.

"Leave some of the facility intact, Kayla." One of what had to be one of the Grineer queens said with a menacing laugh. "We still need it."

"As you wish." Disappointment sounded in the other's tone, but was squelched.

"Everyone else who was present heard things they should not have and are thus expendable." The other queen sounded angry still. "Have fun."

"Thank you, my queens!" The Commander said with glee and Jesselle jerked as a weapon started firing. "I will."

"She will tear the place apart, my queens." Another voice sounded from close at hand. Another female. Not angry, clinical. Jesselle fought back a shiver. It was the Reclaimer from the lab. The one who had wanted Jesselle's body! "This one?"

"No, you cannot have her, Reclaimer H-124387654." The queens replied in unison. Jesselle wasn't sure, but it kind of sounded like their voices were being projected somehow? There was no physical presence. "You were right to notify us as soon as the information was shown, but this one is far more important than even she realizes."

"As you wish, my queens." The Reclaimer said calmly.

"We will get you two pretty toys as a reward to do with as you will, Reclaimer H-124387654." The queens replied as whatever was holding Jesselle moved again. "For now? We need to see if we can rebuild the key as she was."

"My...queens...." Jesselle fought to get the words out. "I serve..."

"Indeed you do. Reclaimer H-124387654, sedate her." The queens' voices commanded and something hummed. Jesselle felt her awareness start to fade. It did not totally. She could hear and feel.

"Your designation is now J-345987." The queens said softly. "And you are Grineer."

"Not... enough..." Jesselle said weakly. "Still... impure..."

"That will change." The others said in unison. The hum increased and Jesselle was floating.

"Orders?" The Reclaimer asked.

"Take her to Secure Facility Four." The Grineer queens commanded. "They can repair her or rebuild her there. She served. All that effort to make her a telepath and it failed, but she did not." The voices paused. "She is still awake. Strong."

"She will make a fine Grineer. 'The Reclaimer said with a sound of mixed exasperation and admiration. Then Jesselle faded.

"What the hell happened?" Eliza was way beyond angry. Olim stood in front of her in formal robes, his face as impassive as his closed warframe faceplate might have been. "What did you do?"

"We believe the Grineer have rebuilt an access node that leads to the Orokin network. And the main database." Olim said softly. Eliza froze and Olim nodded. All of the others in the room froze with Eliza. If the Grineer managed to access the myriad shades of the Orokin database... Bad did not begin to cover that. Not even close. The sheer power that dwelt in that odd virtual environment boggled the mind. The Cyberlancer nodded. "Needless to say, this is not something we wanted broadcast."

"And how does Oracle's daughter factor into this?" Nikis demanded of the Cyberlancer. The Frost Prime met his gaze calmly, no one else dared to breathe. "What right did you have to involve her?"

"Right?" Olim queried. "I had no right to involve her. She involved herself. We gave her the option to back out. She chose otherwise."

"Who is 'we'?" Nikis demanded.

"Nikis..." Olim said heavily. "You have your role, I have mine. They overlap occasionally, but do not tell me that Jesselle could have done it alone." Nikis growled but Olim did not retreat. "Trinity went with her."

"What?" The word erupted from several throats. Nikis stared at the Cyberlancer and then slowly relaxed.

"We have to find and disable that interface conduit." Olim said sternly. "If they enter the database..."

"They will be obliterated." Michelle was pale and who could blame her? "The sheer power will vaporize any clone dumb enough... to..." She trailed off as Olim bowed his head. "No..." She breathed. "Oh god no... you didn't!"

"We had no choice." Olim said sadly. "We told her the risks. We offered her a way out. She chose to help. She is good. Not a warrior, but good."

"What else?" Karl demanded. "You haven't told us everything."

"No, I haven't." Olim said softly, but his gaze was on Nikis who hadn't moved. "I can't. You need to hunt for her, Karl. They will become suspicious if Tenno do not hunt for her. If you find her... shoot to kill."

"You want us to kill Oracle's daughter?" Karl sounded stunned now.

"You won't." Olim said softly.

"Why?" Eliza said into the silence that fell. "Why hunt her? Why try to kill her if we cannot?"

"The Grineer will attempt to alter her. Mentally and physically." Olim said quietly. "They will fail. Eventually, they will realize that she can be used as key to their conduit." He was still staring at Nikis. "Which is what the kids were for, wasn't it?"

"According to what we found... Tengus was ordered to keep them healthy." Nikis said with a snap. "The girls... some were for the attempt to control Infested... Others were for a special project. A royal project."

"Royal?" Michelle staggered a bit. "The Grineer queens are directly involved?"

"No." Olim said with a sigh. "They are not. Not directly. Their project is run in sections. We do not know which one Jesselle was taken to. Which is why we need to hunt."

"And you want whoever finds her to shoot her...because...?" Eliza prompted.

"It won't kill her." Olim said softly. "And even if it does destroy her body? Trinity won't let her go." Nikis straightened and Olim nodded. "You of all people should know better than to anger her, Nikis. She has all kinds of ways to make people's lives hell. She touched Jesselle when the girl went to the database and she knew instantly. She contacted me."

"You overstep." Nikis' voice held warning.

"Do I?" Olim said softly. "Do I really?" The tension in the room skyrocketed as Nikis laid his hands on his pistols and Olim on his Dual Kama. "I could say the same for you." The Frost Prime said with a snarl that matched Nikis' best.

"Um... Olim...?" Karl asked as he moved to out from in between the two. "What are you doing?" More than one of the Royal Guard had hands on weapons but no one wanted to start anything.

"Will you tell them or shall I?" Olim demanded. Nikis... sighed and dropped his hands from his pistols.

"Jesselle stepped into the database." Nikis said quietly. "Physically. There was no way a human could do that." Olim made a coughing noise and Nikis snarled half heartedly. "All right, all right... yes. I admit it. I realized as soon as they told me she had gone."

"And?" Eliza asked when no one else spoke.

"There is only one type of person who can do that." Olim said with a nod as he released his grip on his own weapons. "The kind I am."

At that, everything stopped. Nikis... slumped a bit. Karl and the Royal Guard all stared from Olim to Nikis and back. No one seemed able to speak after that bombshell. Finally Eliza broke the silence.

"Are you saying..." Eliza said carefully. "That Janet's daughter Jesselle...a girl who is pure human..." She trailed off as Olim nodded. Eliza paled. "She can't be a Cyberlancer. She is not Tenno."

"Yet." Olim's tone mixed pride and sadness. "But she chose to attempt the Trials."

"Are you out of your @(*()$ mind?" The room nearly exploded with many people saying the same thing. Nikis... bowed his head and stepped away from the group.

"Nikis?" Karl asked when the room went quiet.

"Not everyone remembers, but I do." Nikis said softly. "We all came from humans. The potential is there in all humans. Janet... didn't say or couldn't say. She just said her daughter was no more. I assumed the Grineer did it." He said with a snarl directed at Olim who shrugged.

"They will hurt her. Change her. Try to program her." Olim agreed. "But... they will also keep her healthy and whole as best they can. They will need her healthy and whole to access the conduit. Grineer prosthetics will not react well to the energy of the transfer."

"Which is why they were programming the kids." Eliza said softly and Olim nodded.

"Tell me something, Empress." Olim said quietly. "What is the single overriding compulsion built into every single Orokin AI?" Eliza stared at the Cyberlancer and he shook his head. "They all have the same core program built in. What is the one thing they cannot do?"

"I...." Eliza swallowed hard. "No... No... You can't be saying..." She broke off as a hologram appeared beside Olim. His AI sister Riana's face was half metal, half sad. Her holographic flesh and blood eye was dripping tears. "Riana?"

"We cannot harm innocents to save ourselves." The AI that was Olim's partner said softly. "We cannot harm a child to save ourselves. It was decided that if there had to be a single overriding compulsion in each and every Orokin AI, it would have to be that. Not some drek like Isaac Asimov's 'Three Laws of Robotics', but something."

"So the kids..." Eliza said slowly.

"Part of their programming was from when they were in the pods." Nikis sounded old and tired now. "Nicholas planned to access the database himself. Hence the kids. He never got the chance. But when the Grineer found the pods... They realized they had a chance at power beyond their wildest dreams. Orokin itself."

"And the rest was done to the girls, Jesselle included." Olim said with a sigh. "Programmed to obey. To do as instructed. To follow the orders of the Grineer."

"To access... Orokin." Eliza said softly. Olim, Riana and Nikis all nodded. Eliza slumped. "Oh S#&$..."

"You said it."

She wasn't afraid now. She felt... good. It was.. odd. But she felt good. And she had company.

I do not understand, Trinity. Jesselle said after a moment of thought. The whole concept of 'nothing' is that there is nothing, yes? So if you focus on something that isn't there... how can that be enlightened?

Ah, Jesselle... The ancient Tenno chuckled. People have been debating that ever since the first Buddha. I do not think I can explain any clearer than I have. You just have to see for yourself. It will take time, but you will get it eventually. But that is not what is bothering you, is it?

I am not a Warrior. Jesselle said after a moment. I do not want to be a Warrior. So...where does that leave me?

There are other paths. Trinity said with a sigh. Many. Sara is studying the Way of the Technician. Mishka is studying the Way of the Bard. You can find a Way that suits you or pick your own path.

It was very odd, this limbo like place she was stuck in. Every so often, Jesselle extruded a tendril of code beyond the spherical construction that held her mind and found her body being worked on. Trinity did not comment, but the Tenno watched very closely. The Tenno shade was a guardian that Jesselle appreciated a great deal.

This is needed. Jesselle said quietly as she retracted the tendril she had poked out again. But it is wrong. I think they are nearly done with my body. Then they start the mental programming?

We think so. Trinity said softly. I will help you ward, Jesselle. But you have to stand firm. It is going to hurt. She warned.

Birth is traumatic. Jesselle said weakly. I... I trained as a med tech, but I never... like it, you know?

I know, honey. Trinity said gently as something wrapped around Jesselle's mind offering comfort that she accepted gratefully. The Grineer have an inkling of what they are doing, but no more. As soon as you cross the threshold, you will be tested.

I know. Jesselle's voice firmed. I am just scared.

You have a right to fear, Jesselle. Trinity said gently. What you are doing is not smart. It isn't even sane by most people's standards. But it is needed and you are very brave.

I do not feel brave. Jesselle said weakly. I feel terrified.

I know. Trinity's embrace was gentle again. But you are not alone. Here or in the conduit, you are not alone.

Is being so scared normal? Jesselle asked after a moment.

Oh yes. Trinity's voice was reflective now. Without fear, would we know what courage was? Jesselle made noise of understanding and Trinity continued. And if we had no emotions whatsoever, we would just be robots. We are not. Human or Tenno, we are very alike.

And very different. Jesselle said with a gulp. I um... I think they are almost done. They will be waking me soon. Should I... cut my impulses?

I want to say, 'Yes', Jesselle. Trinity said sadly. But if you do not scream they will wonder why. They will search. They will not find anything, but they will be suspicious.

I... Jesselle jerked as pressure mounted on her mind. I... it is starting. I... Help? She begged.

I am here, Jesselle. Trinity said as the pressure increased. Hold to me.

Jesselle did as instructed, grabbing hold of Trinity and hanging on for dear life as the pressure became a raging torrent that swept her into its grip and away. Suddenly, she could see. And feel. She screamed as pain flared in both of her legs and her eye. She was inside of something. Some kind of mechanical pod filled with green. And she was being squeezed out of it. Then she was falling. She landed on her rump and gave another scream as pain flared again in her legs. Everything worked, it just all hurt. Everything was too bright, too cold, too... everything.

"Welcome, daughter." The female Grineer voices that sounded from nearby were familiar. The Queens. Jesselle was alone in the room as the machinery that had surrounded her retracted. "Your designation is J-345987 and this is your first day."

"I serve." The newest female Grineer said with a smile as she sat up. Then she knelt.

"Command me, my queens."

Grand Master of the Cyberlancers vs Grand Master of the Dead....

That would be an.... interesting fight.

You know what would be even more interesting?  Grand Master of the Dead and Grand Master of the Cyberlancers vs the Twin Queens.

Hmm....perhaps "amusing" would be a better word.  Bets anyone?

Edited by Temperance000

You know what would be even more interesting?  Grand Master of the Dead and Grand Master of the Cyberlancers vs the Twin Queens.

Hmm....perhaps "amusing" would be a better word.  Bets anyone?

So science and space magic vs two cloned crazy ladies....

*starts preparing ticket stall*

Kal do the grineer have ANY idea of just what sort of response would be provoked if they DID manage to access the database? in my mind you would see every last tenno in the system descending on the Palace of the queens En-mass and obliterating every single trace of the grineers existence

Edited by evafan002

Kal do the grineer have ANY idea of just what sort of response would be provoked if they DID manage to access the database? in my mind you would see every last tenno in the system descending on the Palace of the queens En-mass and obliterating every single trace of the grineers existence

No, the Grineer have no idea what will happen. So there is NO chance of them controlling the release of energy.

If they did? Even Grineer would know to lock it up and throw away the key. If the entire SOLAR SYSTEM becomes space dust... What do they rule?

The PROBLEM is... they don't know.

Edited by Kalenath

All these problems could be avoided if we simply deleted the database. Isn't common wisdom we should not dwell on the past? Let's follow this wisdom literally!...

In a single blow, we erase a huge source of problems and deny to the enemy access to a huge asset.

Edited by renleech