The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma, The New Dragon Frame (Teased In Devstream 45, 46, Tennolive) Anticipation Megathread

Morec0

well it's a possibility that's where they drew inspiration I was just curious if they spoke about it anywhere?

That I will have to go look for.

But if this design is truly dragon related then the only one that stands out the most is the Chinese Dragon and for the design and appearance, the Leafy Sea Dragon.

As for the name:

HSV_color_solid_cone_chroma_gray.png

Is the vote even still open? I keep clicking on it and it only shows the results. I haven't voted at all.

Last I checked it was open.

EDIT: Remove the /r in the link. That should fix it.

EDIT X2: Proper link to the poll is on the first post on the first page. Go there.

Edited by Invalid_Infinity

As the title implies, I'll start this thread as form of showing my personal support of Chroma's design and play-style. The forums has been overwhelmed with a absurdly high amount of negative comments directed at our soon to be resident Draconic Space-Ninja and his powers, which saddens me. I know however that a lot of people do like Chroma and I don't want it seem like they don't in the eyes of DE. I also want to further discussion about his design, which I will elaborate upon down below.

lhFSvGv.gif

Before anything else, I want to get this off my chest

Some of the criticisms like how he doesn't like a stereotypical JRPG Dragon Knight makes no sense in my eyes, since you won't find a myriad of threads about how a frame like Rhino doesn't look like an actual Rhino accompanied by polls to re-design him. Chroma is designed to evoke aspects of dragons from different cultures as well as some animals that are associated with dragons like Seahorses and various reptiles. His abilities (revealed from data mining) draws inspirations from different cultures interpretations of what dragons are capable of. He has all of this going for him without making it look obvious. This for example sounds almost like the aforementioned Rhino, who doesn't LOOK like a rhino, but draws inspiration from the common view of the animal he is named after. Like his namesake he's large, tough, covered with armor and capable of destructive rampages.

As for the energy colors, I find them to be interesting, even though I'm usually obsessed with perfect color symmetry. The only problems from this will be so minor that I don't understand why anyone would even bother.

Now for the genuinely fun part:

hYBzbEo.jpg

I personally see myself as a very big fan of intriguing, ambiguous design and like to spend my free time dissecting character designs and I was very pleased in what I found in Chroma. Looking closely at him, I was intrigued with the notion that Chroma looks like someone wearing a dragon "pelt" while using dragon-themed powers. This brings to mind the depiction of "barbaric" warriors or shamans wearing the skin of a mighty beast and gain its powers from doing so. This is way more creative than just making "Overused Cliche Armor #475" because it shows actual subtle design elements, which many people missed since a couple of updates back.

The way he has his faceplate under the "snout", how the scale-like features looks draped on while still evoking the image of a soft belly a la Western dragons and the stylistic whisker-like arcs on the elongated head resembling a Tatsu or Long all scream "Skin-walking Multi-Cultured Badass" to me and makes me yearn for the update even more so I can add him to my collection post-haste.

Do mind however that these are the ramblings of a person who isn't connected in any way to the designer so I don't know if my assumptions in the "Dragon Shaman" camp holds any merit, but I will stick to it until proven otherwise.

I'd be excited to hear what you can garner from his design! If you want to be negative about it either be civil or join virtually any other Chroma thread.

That I will have to go look for.

But if this design is truly dragon related then the only one that stands out the most is the Chinese Dragon and for the design and appearance, the Leafy Sea Dragon.

As for the name:

SilverBones a moderator pointed out another possibility"

For some clarity, Chroma (Arguably an abbreviation of Chromatic,) is taken from the idea of Chromatic Dragons in DnD. A color represented a different breath weapon,

Soooo...

White Dragon: Ice Breath

Red Dragon: Fire Breath

Deep Dragon: Acid Breath"

Some of the criticisms like how he doesn't like a stereotypical JRPG Dragon Knight makes no sense in my eyes, since you won't find a myriad of threads about how a frame like Rhino doesn't look like an actual Rhino accompanied by polls to re-design him. 

Getting tired of this argument. Rhino was never claimed to be the 'rhino-frame'. He has similarities in his name, and abilities, but he wasn't marketed to the community as "the rhino-frame".

Chromas abilities are built around the dragon theme though if you havent watched the tennolive 2015 it was inspired by asian dragons for luck and most likely medieval for fire breath not to mention the elements "

For some clarity, Chroma (Arguably an abbreviation of Chromatic,) is taken from the idea of Chromatic Dragons in DnD. A color represented a different breath weapon,

Soooo...

Deep Dragon: Acid Breath" As silverbones has stated.

I am concerned about AESTHETICS. NOT POWERS. I will reserve judgement on the powers when it is released because it is too early for that.

Soooo...

Chroma means color in Greek, does it not?

Fits the frame quite well, considering his powers elemental type changes based on energy color choice.

Soooo...

That is a excellent clarification from SilverBones then~

It can go both ways and never be wrong.

I am concerned about AESTHETICS. NOT POWERS. I will reserve judgement on the powers when it is released because it is too early for that.

I definitely agree with you on that point I reserve my opinion until I get my hands on him and see what he can do.

@Zarozian indeed you could go both ways

@holydonut3 honestly wasn't aware of that XD

Edited by -Jack.Of.Blades-

same here, mostly hes helmet i dont like it, maybe it can be fixed with alt helmet, also the body looks like lots of warframes mixed in dat

Edited by MrKage

You see guys the reason his posture has his belly sticking out isn't his posture at all! It's actually because he's a seahorse and he's pregnant! Male seahorses give birth! It all make sense now! =DDDDD

O_O

how does that make it better?????? lololol xD

+1

Edited by 7grims

I read a similar interpretation labeling him as a Dragon-Shaman on reddit, which I like.  A better alternative to Rhino 2.0, after giving it some thought.

It's just his posture or something in the name picture that initially threw me off.  He looks infinitly better in motion. 

Edited by Katakuna

WE HAVE SAID THIS THOUSANDS OF TIMES MAN!

ITS AESTHETICS AND APPEARANCES ARE THAT OF A LEAFY SEA DRAGON!!!

ITS NAME AND EVERYTHING ELSE ARE WELL THOUGHT THROUGH!!!! AS FOR WHY THEY WENT FOR A LEAFY SEA DRAGON APPEARANCE!! WE DO NOT KNOW!!!!

SO STOP ASKING!

Chroma means color in Greek, does it not?

Fits the frame quite well, considering his powers elemental type changes based on energy color choice.

Yes that's right.

So no matter how you look at it. The name is right and fitting.

If he had looked like a spiky dude with a dragon head, I would have been disappointed.

Plus, he probably doesn't look THAT bad. That gif alone compared to the splash art (loading screen, cover, whatever you want to call it) actually looks pretty different, because you're seeing him in action and from a different angle.

It's just... Dragon warframe which looks like a melting Infested.

But whatever, that's their vision.

Actually these "melting flesh" parts looks somewhat like feathers or long scales. I can't understand what they wanted to achieve with the helmet - it looks out of place imo. Waiting for an alt.

Maybe he won't look so gross with different colors :p

Honestly I was waiting for something like this:

1X0wW6s.png

Meh, if he won't look good, then I'm simply not going to use him like I don't use Mirage, Zephyr, Limbo and Hydroid.

Getting tired of this argument. Rhino was never claimed to be the 'rhino-frame'. He has similarities in his name, and abilities, but he wasn't marketed to the community as "the rhino-frame".

Do mind that the only ones who ever said that he would be an actual dragon were the fans themselves, who hyped themselves up on fan-art.