Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Guide] How To Use Bb Code In The Forums.

Ced23Ric

Question

Oh hai! ~a lolcat waves several printed pages of forum threads.

You probably all know that we have a limited WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) editor for our posts. So, mhmm, sweet, we can make things bold, write in italics, underline it or strike it through. Or combine it to a crazy mess of font stuff. But what else can you do?

Well, pretty much everything. This forum uses what is called BB code. What is BB code? It's a simplified markup code that was born from the Bulletin Board, a fairly wide-used forum software. The code applied there became a standard, if you will, with many basic things covered and additional elements added by subsequent forum software based on or close to BB code and/or Bulletin Board.

So, where does this leave us? Awesome country. Read this. The majority of those tags can be used here. For example,

[list][*]1[*]2[*]3[/list]
Creates a list!

And

[url=http://example.com]Example[/url]
Creates a named link, just as I did up there to link to the Wiki-article on BB code. Another common thing is
[media]
... to embed YouTube videos.

And of course, the ever-important:

[img]http://www.ced23ric.de/stuff/wf/awesome.gif[/img]
... for images. ;)

awesome.gif

But, how do you know that it works out fine? Type your post, then hit Ctrl + A (mark all), Ctrl + C (copy) and paste it into notepad (Start > Run > notepad) with Ctrl + V. Then hit "More Reply Options" - it'll give a preview of your thread. Now, copy the saved text back in, fix any errors your code caused, and when you want to check again hit "Preview Post" - and if that looks as spankingly awesome as you like it, post it up, butter cup.

Hope this helps! :)

• Like 2

How to I resize text? My size tags that usually work on BBCode aren't working here.

signed any tips?

Zylo the Wolfbane

its the same with any other bbcode

[ size = 1 - 6 ] text here [ / size ] obviously take out the spaces but thats the highest it goes

like this see

6 is the highest i can go , any further your going to have to do on something else or somewhere else and copy and paste over

Edited by DiBBz

i saw many people uploading and showing ingame-screenshots, how does that work? yeah well uploading somewhere else and link it/show it with [ img ], but there is another way

or can someone tell me how to upload a screenshot without register/create an account on a different side?

or can someone tell me how to upload a screenshot without register/create an account on a different side?

I don't know what you can by the register/create etc but I think you use something like %7Boption%7D ? lol I am really confused too ..

Edited by SilentHybrid

I followed the code for images as he explained but all I got was a bunch of %20 symbols with the title of the image spread out between them. Could someone help?

I'm not sure.. but if you want to do [im] linktoimagehere [/im].. this might help: http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php -- That's what I use for my personal reference ( get rid of the spaces next to the [im] and the [/im].. and and and add a g next to the /im.. sorry if that's hard to understand..

- Thanks.

Thanks for this very useful tutorial on Bb code and its varied and robust uses. Hopefully this will make the forums a more attractive place to be and we all know that making things more attractive is the most important bit. Dissemination of information is a distant second, minimum.

lol

Seriously though, this was greatly helpful, thanks much.