Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reputation System, A Scrapped Idea

LisRestall

RerFZHE.jpg

So I found this on one of my VERY old screenshot collection of WF.

There has been discussion about "Mastery = Good?" in the General Discussion. What about reputation system? Some might think it's not reliable because friends/clanmates would just keep asking for a +1 from each other but don't you think it would still be of some help to judge player skills? Especially for PUB players.

We would love something, anything, really, to better group ourselves with other players and know off the bat if I should trust this player in my long T4. 
Issue is, and DE has said this themselves, how can you create a system for reputation that isn't abusable? How can you accurately depict a user? 
What's to stop people from rating you poorly just out of spite?

What 'is' a bad rating? 

We can come up with a multiltude of ideas, but we can never solve the issue of human behavior and how it may break that system.

There has been discussion about "Mastery = Good?" in the General Discussion. What about reputation system? Some might think it's not reliable because friends/clanmates would just keep asking for a +1 from each other but don't you think it would still be of some help to judge player skills? Especially for PUB players.

I don't see how +1 from clanmates could be a problem. Just let people vote only at the end of the mission and +1 from every clanmate would be hard to acheive, trolling someone with -1-es would be even harder. This + blacklist would be definetely better than "afk timer" that screws your frends if they managed to die while rest completed a mission.

Edited by Repligon

I'd support it, but not as a cumulative increase per mission - as a single point that you can reposition each time you play with someone.

It's all positive (teamwork, skill, honour), so I don't see why it shouldn't find a place in the game. The only "bad" thing you could do is not cast your vote on a given player, and that should be a valid (though not publicly visible) option, too.

Edited by Novocrane

Okay I just had an idea. How about you can only +1 Rep a specific player ONCE. That means if a player has tons of +1, he/she is experienced and have played with many people who recognized his/her skills.

And then we end up with things we see around the internet right now. 

"Like me, I'll like you"

"Sub me, I'll sub you"

It'd end up a race to see who can get rated the most, rather than an honest feedback of the player. 

We would love something, anything, really, to better group ourselves with other players and know off the bat if I should trust this player in my long T4. 

Issue is, and DE has said this themselves, how can you create a system for reputation that isn't abusable? How can you accurately depict a user? 

What 'is' a bad rating? 

We can come up with a multiltude of ideas, but we can never solve the issue of human behavior and how it may break that system.

it is actually very simple

Don't have any negative affiliations in the system and only give people a couple of reputation points you can award/receive per day. Also as long as its simply a cosmetic and you don't receive any items this would be very easy to implement.

And then we end up with things we see around the internet right now. 

"Like me, I'll like you"

"Sub me, I'll sub you"

It'd end up a race to see who can get rated the most, rather than an honest feedback of the player.

You're looking at the 5% negative rather than the 95% positive.

it is actually very simple

Don't have any negative affiliations in the system and only give people a couple of reputation points you can award/receive per day. Also as long as its simply a cosmetic and you don't receive any items this would be very easy to implement.

Brilliant. Might work.

People asking for specific votes ... that's going to be a thing, regardless. If you can award points multiple times, even per day, small groups will 'farm' it together.

The more categories created, the less asking for votes is going to truly swing anything.

What 'is' a bad rating? 

This is my view on it in general, however...

How about something like, you have to be a certain MR to + 1 someone, and are limited to 1 per day / week so they're actually kind of valuable

...this seems like something that would be pretty good. Also we shouldn't be able to rate the same person more than once (that seems like an obvious thing but I thought I would throw that out there).

What 'is' a bad rating? 

The only way that works is if DE knows about these players and puts a watch on them. If Big Brother DE isn't watching over you, you are good to go for a T4 Survival.

Not if you can rate one person only once (with ability to switch vote if you suddenly changed your mind).

I'd support it, but not as a cumulative increase per mission - as a single point that you can reposition each time you play with someone.

Yep. :P

Yeah, reputation system. Not too big fan of this.

Lets say i feel like a troll-ish $&*^, and spam lowest possible number for everyone i am playing that day. Just because i can. Reputation wouldnt work like this anyway, simply because half of the people would abuse mechanics.

rate 1 player once have 1 vote a day  you 3 cattegorries
1carry 2support 3tank

100votes support =team player
100votes carry =Aye Captain
100votes tank=1men army

you could pick it along with icon in custom tab if u have more of them

so ppl can check your icon and be like '''Super mega ultra cary 10000votes'' yeah that guy could be usefull

I'm pretty much PUGing my way through the star map at the moment, so I'd play with just about anyone, but I got a bunch of keys I'd love to use without being afraid I will get trolled. So, "challenge accepted" on the subject.

Issue is, and DE has said this themselves, how can you create a system for reputation that isn't abusable?

Start by assuming you can't and build it so it can be updated with a simple hot fix, as opposed to a major release. The rest of it is to watch for abuses and deal with them fast. We are still beta, so worse case is we ignore it until it is less broke than random. This isn't like some of the major mechanical changes we have seen.

How can you accurately depict a user?

I really like the three categories in that screenshot. Right now we have Mastery, which is roughly how much time and variety in game you have experienced. Team could have a vote portion, number of revives of teammates, marking mods, etc. Skill should be computed by DE and could be from accuracy, completion/quits/failure in missions, if stealth ever matters ratio of stealth kills, etc. Dunno how to do Honor, but the Reputation system is a way for DE to reinforce their vision of how to play their game.

As others pointed out, simple - only upvotes are allowed. I'm torn about limiting votes. On one hand I like the idea of tying number of votes to MR, but I think it would be better if you could upvote anyone in the squad at the end of the mission. edit: forgot to say - you should only be able to upvote a player once, so you can't stack the numbers.

What 'is' a bad rating?

Well, it would be a bad idea to have labels (good/bad or high/low) so assuming it is a number, it will be whatever is below average at the moment. If you were looking for one or two more for a T4 and had a 16, 7, 23, -1 and 10, who would you pick? Does the max number matter unless it was massively higher? I figure the "market" will sort it out. Edited by (XB1)RaffArundel

I'd say just have a stat sheet for void runs, something that tells what's needed to be known, Little window that shows up in the inspection screen, bundle of tabs representing the differing void runs, and each has information, number of times run, completion vs failure, kinda like what we have now for the general game but with a few more details, weapons most used, average survival time, which frames used, weapons used, a shorthand mod list, just a mound of general data that represents the individuals void battle record, maybe have lifetime & monthly separated with monthly resetting.

Way I see it if people are willing to mill about & wait 10 minutes for a particular MR & frame, then time isnt an issue, hence more information being able to determine the individual players skill being recorded & visible would go a long way towards showing an individual players overall skill in a given mission.

Even after all that info is collected I suppose a general rating could be formed based off of the communities general play stats over a period of time, all of which are already tracked & recorded as it is, this just adds a means and reason for us to view specifics.

Otherwise I honestly think there's no discernible way to accurately dictate any players skill in the game and your ALWAYS gonna be in for a crap shoot, after all, even with all that information any number of things can still go wrong, from RL problems, to random disconnects to just people being a holes.

I dunno, but its yet another thing in the game that's gonna take a lot of testing and tweaking to get right given Warframes rather unique niche in terms of gameplay, content & market.