Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are There No Good Anime / Cartoon Shows?

MechaTails

I went on a watching spree, sampled over 200 random non-hentai anime shows, 95% of them were the same insipid stories with the same obnoxious characters, usually involving a school for some reason, WTF?

The other 5% was an interesting mix of stuff like mystery, action, sci-fi. unfortunately even some of those had stupid obnoxious characters, like a random 7 year old kid with super powers or whatever.

Take this show called Psychopass.

The idea is fascinating, a person's likelihood to be a criminal is openly visible to the police. The police can then force them into therapy or kill them on the spot, at the officer's discretion. All sorts of interesting problems can pop up.

So I watch a few episodes, and am immediately turned off by the main protagonist, a scattered brained unconfident chick who looks like a teenager, who is somehow in command of a grizzled squad of officers. Who the F*** thought this ditzy jellyfish was qualified to run a seasoned team handling the sickening disturbing kinds of cases they get? Everyone around her is competent and look like they actually belong in this show, but she sticks out like a bloody thumb. Shes @(*()$ stupid, why does this character even exist in this show? Her life story and bullS#&$ just gets in the way of the facinating stuff we actually want to see.

And then theres the main antagonist, an evil smart pretty boy who uses gigantic words every chance he gets. Every time that motherfuker gives a speech it eats up half the episode, and you dont even learn anything new, its just fluffy bullS#&$ we dont care about, like hes beating off with his words and we're forced to watch and listen, ugh.

Anyway...lol. What cartoons are genuinely good? Which ones infuriate you?

And for the luls, here are my thoughts on Attack on Titan http://darktailss.deviantart.com/journal/Attack-on-Titan-is-the-dumbest-thing-ever-413024128

Edited by DarkTails

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

It is a really REALLY smart story. However it ends kind of abruptly and there are no plans to continue the series at the moment

"The story is set in a world embroiled by war between Humans and Demons. The Humans' greatest warrior known as the Hero invades the castle of the Demon King (魔王 Maō?), leader of the Demons who is actually a Queen, as he is determined to vanquish her. However, instead of fighting back, the Demon Queen proposes an alliance with the Hero. She explains how a sudden end to the war can bring further chaos to the world as the Humans, once united to stand against their common enemies, would eventually begin fighting among themselves, with similar issues already occurring in the Demon Realm. Convinced by her words, the Hero joins forces with the Queen and together they execute a plan to bring prosperity and a lasting peace to both Humans and Demons alike."

Don't be fooled, it's not as simple / boring as it sounds.

Probably my favourite anime, that isn't Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex

Edited by Cynaris

It's going to sound crazy, but contrary to the game based on it, the Sonic Boom show is actually funny. There's also Over the Garden Wall, Adventure Time (surprise), and Gravity Falls.

For anime, you've got some definite favorites like Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and Cowboy Bebop. There's also more recent ones like Kill La Kill, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt (which is NSFW but absolutely hilarious), and Aldnoah.Zero, which has been a personal favorite as of late.

Edited by Vargras

Any anime that commits the 5 cliches are immediately in my S#&$list. Why? Because it shows that the creators didn't even @(*()$ try to put any effort into making things interesting, and simply did it for the Otaku culture.

With that said, I can't list them...I have far too many on the list.

Buuut...you want to see them. I know you do:

Naruto, Bleach, Kill la Kill (My girlfriend loves this anime, but I absolutely hate it),  and AoT.

I'll just go ahead and agree with you on AoT. I think it's far too over-rated, I actually think the theme song is what made people so attracted to the anime. Except for the titan's part...this thing scares the S#&$ out of me.

Attack-on-Titan-01.jpg

I think the last anime I watched that I really liked was probably Mirai Nikki, apart from that I have my own personal favorites. Shows like Vampire Knight was kinda fun to watch, I adore Magi (all three of the animes) and I think Puella Magi Madoka Magica was a pretty awesome show. Persona 3 (the movies) and Persona 4: The animation are a real blast to watch, especially if you love the Persona games. 

A personal favorite of mine's Full Metal Alchemist: Brothehood (There's regular FMA too, but Brotherhood is better imo.)

A very nice story set in a post-recent-war world around 17-19 century (if you compare it to ours). Has some fantasy/steampunk elements and a pretty good plot, in my opinion.

Something you might like about it, judging from your post, is that there aren't really any "anime stereotypes" it adheres to i.e. Schoolgirls, giant (I mean GIANT) boobs (on schoolgirls, no less), ridiculous high-pitched voices, stupidly coloured hair, sh*tty attack names when fighting... et cetera. 

My advice to you is to never try to start an anime by watching it. I know it sounds odd to say that, but if that is the first thing you do it can often result in just turning you away from anime as a whole, if not traumatising you, due to the vast selection of SH*T that usually winds up at the top.

Best thing to do is first read a synopsis, take a look at the list of characters, notice the male/female ratio (this isn't a feminism thing, you really don't want to end up watching a f*cking "harem" story) and, optionally, decide whether you like the art style.

Edit: As for the ones that infuriate me... pretty much everything that relies on the above listed tropes to pass as "entertaining".

Edited by Grander.Alderman

Two I'm following at the moment are:

Tokyo Ghoul - not sure where it's going, but has potential

Parasyte the Maxim/Kiseijuu no Karitsu - which, although the protagonist is a little soft, that is definitely played to the strength of the series.

Since you specifically mention 'cartoon shows' (not just anime) in the title, have you tried watching Archer? It has some pretty good moments, although the terrible animation style takes some getting used to.

Also, if you have some patience, School Days has a well-deserved reputation for being a lot darker than the initial premise...

Edited by Kthal

Well for Animes there are too many good ones

I personaly am a Fan of Naruto, One Piece

But there are several other good animes like

Berserk,

Elfen Lied,

Claymore,

Neon Genesis Evangelion,

Toriko,

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann,

Queensblade,

D. Gray Man,

Angel Beats,

Devil May Cry,

IS: Infinite Stratos,

Witchblade and so much more the list is never ending.

Just added a Spoiler for Elfen Lied (It is reallly not suited for little children or people with weak nerfes)

589262-Elfen_lied_-_questioned.jpg

If you wanna i send you a link to my favourite anime watching site.

(there is everything on original language with subtitles but most of the stuff got a dubbed version)

And for Movies the old fashioned ones who already a few where mentioned

Jin Roh, Princess Mononoke (my favourite), Tokyo Godfathers, Ghost in the Shell, Paprika ....

Edited by Nakimato

Schools, young people, existental matters. They all point in the same direction and that's their target audienxe, gives them something to relate too.

PsychoPass is a great anime and so is AoT. You are seeing flaws where they are sometimes strong points (titans physics, screaming to elude despair, 'annoying' protagonists. In my opinion you are looking for very specific genres.

I'm the kind of person who enjoys Monster, Parasyte, Lain. I watch Tokyo Ghoul and consider it childish, but it's none of the less good in what it does, like was Death Note.

-snip-

Ouch... that list you put so much good with sooo much bad...

I would consider Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan and Kill La Kill as being so over the top end eccentric that they satirize the excessive more than being of it themselves.

How else would you describe a series which has a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech piloting a mech, piloting a mech, surfing the galactic disc, or a series which actually has a half-decent justification for 'fighting-girl-clothing'.

Edited by Kthal

I'm gonna start you off with some of the better anime in my opinion. Some may not be your style, but I always use this list to try and get a bunch of interests in. These aren't really my favorite anime, but they're a good "middle ground" that allows most first time anime watchers to get into it.

Paranoia Agent: Psychological mystery story with supernatural elements. An unknown assailant is appearing out of the shadows and attacking people with a golden bat. What does his appearance have to do with an encroaching darkness poisoning the city? Really weird show, kinda ends poorly, but still a good watch.

Mushi Shi: A traveling healer named Ginko explores the landscape healing people suffering from the influence of spiritual creatures known as "mushi." Really beautiful anime. Pretty relaxed though with no real "action", so it might seem boring to you.

Cowboy Bebop: Space bounty hunters travel the galaxy from paycheck to paycheck, each trying to escape their past. One of the best anime of all time. Definite watch.

Paprika: What if we could share our dreams? What if people could steal them? Another psychological horror anime, but full of wonderful visuals and insane dreamscapes.

Space Dandy: The worst alien hunters in the universe search for that ever elusive rare alien...and boobies. Absolutely hilarious anime that parodies a ton of other styles. One of the few I'd recommend the dub over the sub on.

Magnetic Rose: Space salvagers come across a distress signal emanating from a large rose formed from junk. Inside, they find a pristine mansion filled with the memories of the past, yet not everything is what it seems. Amazing thriller. Definite watch.

Anything by Studio Ghibli: Seriously. Anything. Well...some are better than others, but none are really bad

Perfect Blue: A budding actress determined to become famous slowly loses her grip on reality as a string of murders surrounds her new life. Really creepy anime, but a great thriller.

Tekkon Kinkreet: Two boys keep watch over the old ways of treasure town while a mysterious conglomerate seeks to do away with the obsolete city. Kind of a tough watch, and probably the most tentative recommendation I can give. Definitely not your average anime though.

Ghost in the Shell: Watch the first, and if you don't like it, you wont like the rest. But if you do, it stays at about the same quality through all the offshoots, all covering the idea of the cybernetic body and the AI.

Black Jack: The greatest doctor in the world is also one of the most expensive. Without a license and operating as a mercenary, Black Jack rarely encounters an issue he cannot handle. One of the best mangas of all time, and a decent enough anime (although it might be too low quality for your tastes). It's a bit TOO anime in some parts (if that makes sense) but it does a great job of making the classic a lot more accessible to new audiences. Basically a super doctor show with absurd scenarios thrown in (operating in pure darkness because he stared at a kids guts for 2 hours is one scenario that comes to mind)

Metropolis (the anime not the old movie): With the construction of the legendary ziggurat complete, robotics maintaining all the tasks humans should never bother themselves with, and the poorer classes carefully cordoned off to the lower portions of the city, what could stand in the way of mastery of the sun itself? Great movie. AMAZING backdrops, decent dub, Osamu Tezuka approved.

Jin-Roh - Wolf Brigade: A pretty heavy anime about war and what it does to our humanity. Old, but holds up. Pretty sad though.

Akira: Mind powers begin surfacing in a young teenager and he goes on a rampage that threatens the last bastion of humanity. One of the classics.

Summer Wars: A sweet story about a hacker and an old family. Pretty saccharine though, so stay away if you aren't a fan of feel good family things (or know how computers work)

I'll add more as I think of them. There are tons I'd love to recommend (Gurren Lagaan, PSG, Kill la Kill), but I don't want to turn you off before you've even started.

Edited by StallordD

Also, if you have some patience, School Days has a well-deserved reputation for being a lot darker than the initial premise...

To put that up as a suggestion... you are evil.

On the other hand, I try to measure a story's quality mostly by the... how should I put it... strength of emotional stir they cause in me. So if you judge School Days by that, then it's good... very good, in fact. I mean, RAGE is an emotion, right?

Edited by Grander.Alderman

Magnetic Rose: Space salvagers come across a distress signal emanating from a large rose formed from junk. Inside, they find a pristine mansion filled with the memories of the past, yet not everything is what it seems. Amazing thriller. Definite watch.

Oh my god YES, this movie was downright amazing. 

lol, wait, did we watch the same Psycho Pass anime? That's not quite how I remember it.

Anyhow, here's my list:

Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)

Steins;Gate

Fate/Zero

Fate/Stay Night (2014)

Psycho Pass

Angel Beats

Aldnoah.Zero

Akame ga Kill

Guilty Crown

Log Horizon

Bonus Suggestions:

Mirai Nikki

Attack on Titan

Fairy Tail

And I don't really think that there are any animes that infuriate me, or even make my slightly irked for that matter.

I like to watch those cliche animes so that I could get a good laugh or two. For example, a girl gets attacks 3 tines by a beast, 2 of which were lighting strikes. She had no wounds, but she left nude minus the panties. How can you not laugh at that?

Personal anime recommendations:

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Mirai Nikki

Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles

Vampire Knight

Guilty Crown

Fairy Tail

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

D. Gray-Man

Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

Another

Sword Art Online

Black Lagoon

Trigun

Kaze no Stigma

Accel World

Movies:

Howls Moving Castle

Castle in the Sky

Spirited Away

Princess Mononoke

Lack of Jojo's Bizzare Adventure is disturbing.

EX2db3L.gif

Go watch this anime. Most badass, fabulous, Manliest anime to date. Wait are you waiting for? GO WATCH NOW!! 

It's not really a good one for beginners or people on the fence. You have to be tolerant of a lot of anime shenanigans to really enjoy it.

But I definitely agree, Jojo is awesome.

Thanks for all the suggestions, theyre all going on the watch list lol

I've hit many of the known series like Akira, Lodoss War, Claymore, Samurai Jack, Afro Samurai, GITS, Inuyasha, etc. Its not that Im looking for specific genres, Im open to almost anything, its just that the genuinely good shows ive seen so far have been action stuff like that, with aspects that make them more than "just another scifi/action/etc." series.

But to be fair, Im also not a giggly chibi-loving 14 year old girl or a horny 14 year old boy, so the vast majority of stuff Ive sampled so far feels borderline insulting to my intelligence lol. Im definitely avoiding certain genres and certain popular shows.

And then I loved absurd shows like The Adventures of Flapjack, but I absolutely cant get into Adventure Time. Maybe Im fickle. lol

It's going to sound crazy, but contrary to the game based on it, the Sonic Boom show is actually funny.

You better believe I dig that show lol. The current Sonic Boom comic is also great, I write in regularly. It doesnt take itself too seriously, with a vibe like the early Sonic comics. Edited by DarkTails

Dear god no. I despise that anime.

Actually not the only one.

My sister started watching it and I asked her why she stopped and she showed me what it changed into. I thought to myself: "How on earth did that happen? How did it go from the first episode to this...?"

It mutated into some horrible "fan-service" bull crap...

Guilty Crown too. Never understood why people like it. I got to like the last half of the first episode and thought... "Oh great. It's one of THESE!"

On that note. .hack/roots was pretty fun to watch.

I'm a big fan of Code Geass. The art style not always peoples favorite but I got used to it...

Busou Renkin is a weird one, and one not many people watch? I loved it and don't know anyone else who does.

My sister was watching a movie series called "The Garden of Sinners which looked pretty good".

I liked Eureka too.

Oh and one I forgot. The Ghost Stories anime. Not the original Japanese version. I'm talking about the alternative dub. That series was pretty fantastic.

Edited by Lilliannette

Busou Renkin is a weird one, and one not many people watch? I loved it and don't know anyone else who does.

I didn't enjoy it for 'it', so much as how ludicrously it escalated. Was very entertaining, but fell to a lot of tropes for most of the series.

That moment when things just got out of hand, my first thought was; (Spoiler for actual spoiler)

"oh, well the only way they can really escalate this is if he gets uppercut to the bloody moon... oh, ok then..."

Code Geass was amazing, but very painful at times. One of the few anime which justified every punishment visited upon the protagonist, and not just having 'stuff happened' as the explanation for everything going wrong.

Edited by Kthal

I didn't enjoy it for 'it', so much as how ludicrously it escalated. Was very entertaining, but fell to a lot of tropes for most of the series.

That moment when things just got out of hand, my first thought was; (Spoiler for actual spoiler)

"oh, well the only way they can really escalate this is if he gets uppercut to the bloody moon... oh, ok then..."

I don't know why I enjoyed it so much. It had charm I suppose and I didn't take it seriously. Like I mean one of the bad guys had a mankini..

Edited by Lilliannette