Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Poor Performance With Gtx 970.

-Kryptic

*mostly in void, or high wave missions*

>inb4 "because of VRAM"

I play this game at 1080p, I don't think Warframe takes up >3.5gbs of VRAM.

I am getting the same FPS with my 970 as I did with my 680. 30-50 fps in the Voids.

I don't know what the issue is, but is anyone else with a 970 having these issues?

Specs:

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5GHz

RAM: 16GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @1600MHz total

Not sure if mobo matters: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Z77X-UP5 TH-CF 

Warframe is on a 1tb Seagate drive.

EDIT:

GTX 680 was able to handle warframe @high frames 120+ anywhere, no matter what mission or setting

Performance was starting to drop off, and I got a 970.

Not sure what is wrong here. Clean install of windows as of 5 days ago.

Edited by hiddenfive

*mostly in void, or high wave missions*

>inb4 "because of VRAM"

I play this game at 1080p, I don't think Warframe takes up >3.5gbs of VRAM.

I am getting the same FPS with my 970 as I did with my 680. 30-50 fps in the Voids.

I don't know what the issue is, but is anyone else with a 970 having these issues?

gtx 760 SC here, I'm not having any issues with warframe's performance, have you checked your drivers recently?

updating them recently made warframe run a little bit better for me

Edited by VYR3

the more enemys that spawn the more taxing it will become on your CPU and VRAM because physics and simluations thats why

a 980 can easy do this game no problem on max settings however if your CPU and VRAM is not up to snuff then you can kiss having 60FPS with high waves of enemys 

how about posting the rest of your specs instead of just your GPU

gtx 760 SC here, I'm not having any issues with warframe's performance, have you checked your drivers recently?

updating them recently made warframe run a little bit better for me

Newest game-ready driver.

Not sure if it's a CPU bottleneck.

Probably not. i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHz

i guarantee neither GPU was a problem.

Warframe is almost entire CPU and Northbridge heavy.

look there instead. Warframe can run well on almost any GPU that anyone might have.

(at average Resolutions that is, you can use basically any GPU up to 1080p. if you start treading into super high Resolutions, that's a different story)

this does not rule out some issues for this or that GPU that may be introduced, but as a general rule.

(on a side note, do note that a GTX970 is to be expected to be slightly faster than a GTX680. the main difference is a wider Memory Bus and more Memory, and that Energy Usage will be much lower. Performance will be close to each other however. 15% 'faster' tops, however probably more like 9-10%.

basically, a 970 can handle large Resolutions and Anti-Aliasing much better, other than that they are going to be quite similar for actual performance).

Edit:

It may be that you have TOO MUCH vram.

no such thing. having more vRAM than you're using doesn't lower Performance. zero impact. Edited by taiiat

Newest game-ready driver.

Not sure if it's a CPU bottleneck.

Probably not. i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHz

Just because you have 4C8T high end OC'd CPU doesn't mean that Warframe is capable of fully utilizing one. Honestly, I doubt that Warframe is capable of allocating more than 1-2 cores at best but I'd love to be corrected by someone who knows better.

Edited by Mofixil

i guarantee neither GPU was a problem.

I would normally say the same, but for this to be the second thread I've seen today regarding the 9xx series having trouble... I suspect it may be more than just the card. Someone else was reporting bad performance with a GTX 980 (that they were running out of VRAM and suffering severe performance issues which caused Warframe to crash).

That aside, I'd suggest Unparking your CPU Cores if you haven't already done so, hiddenfive.

I would normally say the same, but for this to be the second thread I've seen today regarding the 9xx series having trouble... I suspect it may be more than just the card. Someone else was reporting bad performance with a GTX 980 (that they were running out of VRAM and suffering severe performance issues which caused Warframe to crash).

That aside, I'd suggest Unparking your CPU Cores if you haven't already done so, hiddenfive.

Will do, TY. Will report back if I am still having issues.

i would attribute that to possible interfacing oddities with those GPU's and Warframe. possibly altered settings that are being unintentionally omitted, minor corruptions, Et Cetera.

i perhaps should have said that GPU performance itself isn't the problem, for absolute certain. largely due to Warframe's much higher weight away from the GPU.

I doubt that Warframe is capable of allocating more than 1-2 cores at best but I'd love to be corrected by someone who knows better.

Warframe should be threading to take advantage of minimum 2 Threads(as we have the option to separate Rendering to a second Thread), and should be apt at handling 4 Threads. more than that is largely superfluous so no matter. Edited by taiiat