Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ever Wonder Why Most Aaa Games End Up Failing Or Just Bad In General? (Off Topic)

Renegade343

Because those games are powered by just one AAA battery each. Of course it is not going to make it good or memorable, it lacks power to do so!

Although at least CoD does its multiplayer job adequately. Standard, bland most of the time, but functional. Maybe the same with Battlefield.

I say it's because most of the AAA titles are essentially repeats of what once was with a new coat of paint and a few new "mechanics."

Destiny was said to be one of the best games that would come out for a long time but it felt really underwhelming and empty for a AAA title. It's not as impressive as I thought it would be and the PvP is just annoyingly unfair at times, if not unbalanced.

Some AAA games, however, knock it out of the park every time. Rockstar does a nice job of keeping their GTA games new, impressive, and fun.

AAA games are fun for a while but that dies out after a few weeks. Like I can always go back and play Minecraft because I can make it fun by doing whatever I want. Popular game titles like Assassin's Creed or CoD are usually just the same game but with improved graphics and one additional feature per installment.

Edited by Xiusa

adequate is not good enough for 'AAA' games.

a 'AAA' game needs to either be excellent, or it should have been scaled back to a less insane budget, to waste less money.

if you aren't going to put effort into it to make it something damn worth buying, then there's not much point in investing much capital into it.

actually, adequate isn't good enough for any game. it's either fantastic, somewhat well built, or a steaming toss pot.

games that aim for 'okay' are otherwise known as garbage like Assassin's Creed and many other Series that give bland a new meaning. yearly releases that aim to be just okay enough to trick the sheep into buying it.

If they just make two cod games and make them like blacklight: Retribution (where it's always online and no SP BS with new games coming out) it'd last them forever.

Please not like Blacklight retribution that game was dreadful and should die in a fiery pit of death full of where the grinner put dead clone bodies...

actually, adequate isn't good enough for any game. it's either fantastic, somewhat well built, or a steaming toss pot.

Actually, adequate is something to describe games that does its job in the most standard way possible, but still reaches the bare minimum of "playable". Not something to endlessly praise on or play with, but just when there is nothing much to do, and have nothing else in mind to do. 

In short, a bit like gruel. Not going to stimulate the taste buds, nor is it going to win any culinary awards, but at least it would fill up the stomach after a few servings. 

Problem is for the most of games that developers are relaying on commercial part mostly, instead of the gaming part. Make fancy commercials with CGI gameplay that is not related to the game in any way, grap preorders, deliver mediocre content.

Let´s list some other which seem to be good nearly always...

Elder´s Scrolls (if you don´t count ESO)

****, nothing else comes to my mind right now.

Fallout, most of things from Blizzard and Bioware. Valve is evil on the other hand.

Because the people in charge of the AAA industry are not gamers, and so they simply look at what games are making money and blindly copy them. Every game has to look like CoD. Every game has to have Candy Crush style microtransactions. Every game has to be 'distilled' toward this singular, 'perfect' game that is even more like CoD than CoD so that the CoD crowd jump ship and all the money in the world comes to them instead.

What the AAA industry doesn't get is that nobody wants more Call of Duty. We have Call of Duty. We want something that ISN'T CoD. But to borrow Yahtzee's line; CoD is spunkgargleweewee, so all games must now be spunkgargleweewee. Microtransactions allowed Candy Crush and Clash of Clans to make a fortune, so every game must have microtransactions for EVERYTHING to maximise player gouging.

The AAA industry declared survival horror dead because CoD isn't survival horror. It declared the JRPG dead because CoD isn't a JRPG. It decided players don't want story driven games because CoD has less story than a box of cereal.

The AAA industry declared that it games now need annual sequels in order to turn a profit, that everything has to be a franchise and that if you want the full experience you need to buy the £200 ultra-super-exclusive-limited-edition-collectors edition, the £20 Season Pass, the £20 Arbitrarily Cut Content Pass, and the £80 of DLC that isn't covered by either of those passes. And then they had the gall to tell us this screwed up system was for OUR benefit and convenience.

In short, the AAA went up its own arse when it got so obsessed with graphics that they couldn't make a profit on a game that shifted five million units, and so promptly decided the only way to save money was to cut 90% of the content and then charge us well over the odds for features that five years ago would have been built in for free.

Let´s list some other which seem to be good nearly always...

Elder´s Scrolls (if you don´t count ESO)

****, nothing else comes to my mind right now.

Skyrim was pretty fun because I would always see how little I can do within the main questline. I'll have to go play that the next time I'm burned out from Warframe (after U16) and maybe stream it.

Most of The Legend of Zelda games are also pretty great games that are always quite unique in its own way. Wind Waker especially. Pokemon is also pretty good but it started to die out for me a little after they stopped making games like Pokemon Colosseum or PBR.

Halo always puts me back in their games whenever a new one comes out but then I realize I can't unlock some cool armour if I don't preorder from a certain store, in which there are several different options. I'm not liking the direction they're headed in plot and story-wise because it all seemed too rushed and in my face about everything. Not to mention the Press X to beat the final boss. The multiplayer is good but it stops being fun because that's all there is to do afterwards. Forge is easily the best part of Halo tbh.

I can't say much about PS4 because I've never owned any kind of PlayStation past 2, but I will say that Ratchet & Clank and Jak and Daxter were easily my favourite games to play, even if they're not considered AAA.

If nobody wanted more CoD, the sales would look much different. The sad reality is that AAA games are the way they are, because consumers chose this type of game over others.

As long as superficial but shiny/bombastic games sell best, that is where most of the funds go. Gamers have noone to blame but themselves.

Sales figures and reception notwithstanding, AAA games are industry changers. All the fancy graphics features like ambient occlusion, per object motion blur (hardly new nowadays i guess), global illumination etcetera, these are all only developed by companies with enough time and financial clout. Crysis is an example. Lots of reviews said that the graphics and destruction were nice but that the storyline was hackneyed and the gameplay only slightly better than average. Crysis is probably a large part of the reason games look as nice as they do today. 

Skyrim was pretty fun because I would always see how little I can do within the main questline. I'll have to go play that the next time I'm burned out from Warframe (after U16) and maybe stream it.

Skyrim is so much fun and epic at times...

RBDVN0r.jpg

t3ZL3YD.jpg

But I have problems with loot...

6vkTLf3.jpg

(more weapons in the chest below table)

Skyrim is so much fun and epic at times...

RBDVN0r.jpg

t3ZL3YD.jpg

But I have problems with loot...

6vkTLf3.jpg

(more weapons in the chest below table)

Honestly I always have trouble storing my gubs.

I never use mods, though. I don't know how to apply them and I don't find any of them appealing anyway.

Honestly I always have trouble storing my gubs.

I never use mods, though. I don't know how to apply them and I don't find any of them appealing anyway.

I have found great place to store your loot when starting a game...

Go to Riverwood, kill Faendal, claim his house. It has many places to store your items, so you can organize them a bit.

Also, I just recently started modding Skyrim through Steam Workshop.

please note, it's not that Consumers want more of this or that game.

this or that is popular, therefore Marketing for games tells people they want it.

it's like a celebrity. popular because it's popular. nobody can really remember why it's popular, it just is.

people are sheep, so when they're told by some marketing department that they want to buy blah blah game because of blah blah, they obey.

"yes master, i will buy blah blah.".

the average Consumer at large doesn't actually have an opinion. they aren't a discerning Customer, they do not make decisions for themselves. they are told what to do, and they obey to it.

please don't be a sheep. don't throw money away like it's willy nilly. even if you can afford to 'waste' money, please, just don't. only pay people if it's worth paying them. otherwise this vicious cycle can never end.

- - - - - - - - - -

on a lighter note.

some 'AAA' games in recent years that i've had not that many complaints about.

in no particular order:

• Metro: Last Light

Metro 2033 was also fairly good, but i felt like the second time around they cleaned up the gameplay and made it feel 'tighter'. polishing the silver, if you will. a wider variety of Weapons that fit the theme, a more interesting story (because the hero save the universe story in 2033 isn't exactly an underserved thing), basically 2033 plus a bunch more of everything. including visuals, which i certainly appreciated. game looked beautiful. the 'redux' versions should theoretically be better all around, but i wasn't really thrilled at the thought of buying the same game all over again, so i don't really know what sort of noticable improvements they really have.

• Borderlands 2

i didn't really like Borderlands. something just always felt off while playing it. i don't know what it was. whatever that was, disappeared in Borderlands 2.

despite the issues the game has (such as l00t that is a little bland compared to the original game, l00t that you had to repeat the entire game to roll for again, and a balance scale that started to fall apart towards the later end of the fomula (i oneshot every Enemy, they oneshot me.) and one or two other things - i still had a hell of a blast with this game. the Characters were all spectacular and unique, there's a lot of memorable stuff in this game. the 4 main DLC expansions are highly, highly recommended in addition to the base game.

• Bioshock Infinite

let's get the big fish out of the way. yes, it's not quite exactly a Bioshock game. as a nitpicking bastard i'm well aware of that. however unlike many i did not attempt to commit a hate crime because of it. it's not a Bioshock game, but it's still a great game nonetheless. the game is intuitive, fluid, and polished. it's systems don't fail you, they just work. i loved the story. it was different, not the same cookie cutter story most games use. people complained it wasn't a hero of the universe story. since the Gaming Industry is a part of my life, i'm sick and tired of 'hero of the universe'. i want something different. i want a story that i can't guess (which i do a lot, i'm a terrible person to bring along to the movie theatre, as soon as all the characters are introduced i can tell you how the movie ends because they're all the same), i want twists and surprises. and that story had them in bundles. i could actually feel for the characters in this story. they didn't feel fake or bland.

the two DLC expansions are nice additions. the first is somewhere between Bioshock Infinite and Bioshock. a little less 'arcadey', and a little more Stealth. the second DLC expansion is all stealth. back to the roots of Bioshock.

• The Witcher 2

you've all probably heard plenty about Witcher. it's basically a cult status of a game title.

i didn't play Witcher. i'd heard the combat was kind've bleh in the first, and that the second game was much, much better. so i skipped the original game. second game held up well despite me not having any back knowledge. i didn't really feel like i didn't understand what was going on.

there's a Mod created by one of the guys on the Development Team. it's supposed to overhaul the game and make it feel better in combat, more fluid, less 'something feels a bit off'. however, due to the lack of any Mod support in the game, the Mod is a complete redownload of the game. i... wasn't ready to redownload it just for that. i probably should have, but i wasn't ready for it.

anyways, Witcher is certainly one hell of a game. a fantastical story reaching all kinds of corners. lots of side things to find, which are just as varied as the rest of the game is, always interesting.

Witcher at this point does have some issues with Quest rewards and such being pigeonholing, and making the player feel like they should have a Wiki up at all times to make sure they know what paths to take in Quests to get the outcomes and rewards they want. this is supposed to be getting dealt with for Witcher 3.

however - the Story and Gameplay is still excellent. and the game looks beautiful. speaking of visuals, Witcher 2 had a dark reputation for the first year and some change, as when it was released, no GPU on the planet could get a good framerate in it with fancy visuals on.

oh, yeah. Witcher 2 is a pretty intensive game. i don't recommend playing it on a toaster. (though there is a Launch parameter that basically equals toaster mode, i highly don't recommend it, it makes playing the game look like you're playing a game on the original Play Station).

• Saints Row III / IV

it's Saint's Row. i think it's pretty self explanatory. extremely over the top, in Saint's Row style.

• S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat)

somewhat similar to Saint's Row, it's fairly self explanatory.

however. Shadow of Chernobyl had a much larger scope, and perhaps a much, much longer story planned out. however, it had significant technical issues that detracted from the experience. while Call of Pripyat was cranked down some in scope, but a much more polished experience.

even so, there are things such as the Upgrades and Artifacts from Shadow of Chernobyl that i missed. Call of Pripyat definitely has more of a 'easymode' feel to it. enjoyable nonetheless, just Shadow of Chernobyl tried things that conceptually made it a much more immersive, challenging, and varied game. it's just technical and execution issues that really held it back.

it's worth playing both, just to see the the ideas presented and Et Cetera. that's important to me, to gather information and see what others have done.

elsewise, Call of Pripyat, while not as awesome on paper, will play well, so i can recommend it as a different Post Apocalyptic style game.

• Burnout: Paradise

something terrible happened to this game. EA (Electronic Arts) happened to this game.

this is a great driving game. it's no simulator by any means, but it feels great.

however, EA totally f...ed it up as usual. their DRM bullsnot and other garbage getting in the way of the game, completely choking it.

i actually can't recommend buying this game because you might not be able to play it then. you may very well be forced to play it through illegal means because of all of that godawful DRM.

• Red Faction: Guerrilla

game does have a few technical issues, and could have used a bit more optimization.

however, this game knocks it out of the park. everyone loves blowing stuff up and other destruction related things.

this game has it in droves. it's an entire game about destroying things.

on the fly calculated structure integrity makes taking down structures an engaging thing to do, and can be quite challenging actually. (to take them down efficiently).

i've had a blast with the game (no pun intended).

• Two Worlds II

the first game in this series was reported to be absolutely terrible.

this game, wasn't.

suffice to say, i don't want to be typing about this game for another hour, so i'll sum it up to that this is the game that i compare open world RPG's to. the game felt great to play. it was engaging and had a lot of variety. also looks pretty good. even though it has 'hotkey' ish combat, the game wasn't drearily paced like most MMO's are, so i was able to really enjoy this RPG.

among other things, i love that the game doesn't really stifle the Player. there's a DEEP, and i mean freaking DEEP Magic System in this game. the game doesn't c...block you though. for example, the game takes place on 3 main contenients, with some islands. before you're supposed to leave the first continent, i... used the Water Walking spell to spend about 90 minutes running across the ocean between the first and second continent. it was a stupid thing to do, but man, i loved that the game let me do it anyways.

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

okay, let's get the bad part out of the way. this is the worst Assassin game i've ever played in my entire life.

but, it's a pretty good Pirate Ship Simulator. Ubi might have accidentally actually made a good game. but not the game they were trying to make. it's great as a Pirate Ship Simulator. i just hate when to unlock more stuff i have to actually play the story though. because the story forces you to play the 'Assassin' part of the game. which is godawful. rage inducing even.

• Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

i've been playing this in the past week.

basically, this game, while a bit easy, is pretty satisfying to play. Melee Combat is basically Batman combat, but! it does a great job of incentivizing the Player to NOT button mash! special attacks and other bonuses that i get if i time my attacks correctly, rather than button mash. this is fantastic. a solid combat system (easy, but works well) that really gets the Player to take it slow and get every hit right on your Enemies.

plus an exaggerated Stealth system, that i actually quite like. just because an Enemy sees me, doesn't mean i can't take him out quietly. i know, it sounds weird, but it feels like a buffer zone. the guy sees you, and you sprint out of the shadows and slit his throat before he can call some buddies or make noise. feels really great.

also, 'Captains'. procedurally generated 'Minibosses', promoted from the general mooks around Mordor. this is a great system really. it has some politics, and it feels Dynamic, because it is. they all battle each other to go up the ranks in real time, Et Cetera.

there's always stuff to do, the world is always generating new random events and Et Cetera in it. makes the world feel more alive.

all in all, this is...a surprisingly good AAA game. i didn't expect this. i was avoiding this game for a while, expecting it to be meh because of the Batman combat. but i'm pleasantly surprised.

Edit:

balls. i forgot an important entry on that list.

Portal 2. it's a AAA game when 'AAA' wasn't expected. i was very impressed by it. in the first game some of the puzzles were long enough where i'd forget parts of them. Portal 2 didn't have this issue. some of the puzzles were easier... but i actually completed quite a few of them the 'wrong' way by accident xD

Edited by taiiat

I have found great place to store your loot when starting a game...

Go to Riverwood, kill Faendal, claim his house. It has many places to store your items, so you can organize them a bit.

Also, I just recently started modding Skyrim through Steam Workshop.

You can get Faendal as a follower and then take the key from him...