Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is It Me Or Are Augments Abit Of A Joke? And Is It Possible To Change To The Way Mods Are Used?

(PSN)Mofojokers

These augments are somewhat hit or miss from DE's part.

The main argument seems to be here "we can't fit them if we are given eight mod slots". Why, exactly, why? If you have nine mod slots, you'd call all of them "essential" and say that you want a tenth slot. And so on.

I have found a way to put all the Augments I want everywhere I want. I can slot in - just to name a few of the mods I use - Irradiating Radial Disarm, Ice Impedence, Total Eclipse, Hall of Malevolence, Jet Stream, on all of my late-void builds.

They give me variety and they give me unexpected takes on the game. For that, I really like them. Maybe they don't all allow me to play against lv 45 enemies, but you know what? That's also fine. Let's build something for fun and take it to a lv 25 mission for once!

They are an optional tweak that adds a little something to an ability.  They aren't supposed to be game breaking or a flat out upgrade but more something that adds a new flavour or gameplay option.  Unfortunately some are a flat out upgrade like Hall of Malevolence that doesn't really change how it is used at all.  Greedy Pull would be an example of one that is not a direct upgrade to the original purpose of the ability but rather adds a new way of using it.  It was also raised as a trash/joke mod on this forum for a long time but I've recently seen more and more people praise it even though it hasn't changed.

I use some and, like any other mod, I just need to prioritise what I want in the build.  Do I want Mag to gain 1200 overshields when I shield polarise a room full of Corpus?  Yes, yes I do.  Can I afford to drop a mod for that?  Well, 1200 is more shields than the 660 Redirection will give me so...

Added to thread

Edit: An idea has been put forth saying mods like serration and redirection should be removed and added to overall stats. But making augments the mods what this means is removing stat mods for modified abilities as the main use of the mod spots. Its like a different way of adding in a talent tree of diablo style. Personally this idea is growing on me but what do you think?, is this the way the mod slots should be used?.

Rhino augments are garbage, but then again the frame itself doesnt have a purpose and it pains me to say that since im maining him since U6.

I also main Rhino and also think most of his augments are garbage. 

Ironclad charge is completely worthless.  Bonus 50% armor per hit doesn't give that much survivability on Rhino.  Rhino has massive amounts of shields and iron skin, so armor does almost nothing for him.  Damage mitigation is 1/(1+(armor/300)) on health only.  Even if you hit 20 enemies with a charge you end up with an 87.5% damage reduction on health only.  He already has 40% damage mitigation with his base armor.

Iron shrapnel might be usable, but it doesn't have a range on it so I never tried it.  Range isn't listed on the mod and I haven't seen anyone test the range and post results anywhere.

I'm assuming Piercing roar doesn't scale with duration, it just gives a flat 6 second puncture proc.  I'm assuming this is the case otherwise it would be written like Irradiating Disarm, "enemies will be affected by puncture for 9 seconds."  Might be useful in raids?  30% DR is nothing compared to stomp though (100% reduction).

Rhino isn't the only frame with bad augments.

No-one is saying that they are a joke.

We're saying that it is highly debatable if it is worth giving up a "proper" Warframe mod to use them. And when talking about the "bad" Augments it is not even debatable; they flat-out aren't worth it.

This pretty much sums up why augments are just poorly designed band-aid mods, they're not even worth the slot most of the time.

P.S. I would absolutely call the 'bad' ones a joke.

Edited by Ailith

I think that augments should have a cost but I also think that the current state of warframe modding has too many false choices and little room for fun or bandaid mods.  I find power efficiency to be the biggest offender here; it's a staple in pretty much every build (inb4 snowflake masters that never use it) and we would be better off if energy costs were just re-done, freeing up 1-2 slots for further customization.  

Some of them change the purpose of the ability and (imo) even make it usable while without it I wouldn't use said ability.

Most (if not all) of the augments do not grant straight buffs to the ability performance.

Perhaps not, but many of them do feel like features of the ability that should have been there in the first place. It'd make a lot more sense to me if, at some point in the future, each ability had 2-3 different augments, and we could slot one of those augments for each ability to suit our tastes and needs.

As for the effectiveness of the mods themselves, many of them range from "Why wouldn't you run this?" (Hall of Malevolence, Irriadiating Disarm), to "Why would you run this at all?" (Piercing Roar, Neutron Star, Divebomb Vortex).

It'd also be cool if we could get augments that drastically change how certain abilities work. For example, a Rhino Stomp augment that causes Rhino to slam his fists into the ground in front of him, causing a shockwave that does all of the usual Stomp stuff but in a narrower, yet farther-reaching cone than the regular Stomp. A Sonic Boom augment that narrowed the AoE and turned it into a shriek that causes enemies to stumble around afterward for a longer time than the SB knockdown and suffer a Slash proc, but also requires Banshee to undergo a longer casting animation. A Snow Globe mod that gives Frost a mobile globe in exchange for a weaker globe or one with no snare effect. Rough ideas, but more drastic changes like that could spice up player loadouts and how they choose to approach certain missions.

I'm sure that's too much to ask for at this point.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

I also main Rhino and also think most of his augments are garbage. 

Ironclad charge is completely worthless.  Bonus 50% armor per hit doesn't give that much survivability on Rhino.  Rhino has massive amounts of shields and iron skin, so armor does almost nothing for him.  Damage mitigation is 1/(1+(armor/300)) on health only.  Even if you hit 20 enemies with a charge you end up with an 87.5% damage reduction on health only.  He already has 40% damage mitigation with his base armor.

Iron shrapnel might be usable, but it doesn't have a range on it so I never tried it.  Range isn't listed on the mod and I haven't seen anyone test the range and post results anywhere.

I'm assuming Piercing roar doesn't scale with duration, it just gives a flat 6 second puncture proc.  I'm assuming this is the case otherwise it would be written like Irradiating Disarm, "enemies will be affected by puncture for 9 seconds."  Might be useful in raids?  30% DR is nothing compared to stomp though (100% reduction).

Rhino isn't the only frame with bad augments.

Ironclad charge buffs armor, you tank with health = its for a melee QT/Rage build. Now, which melee are you going to pick: rhino with 400 armor and charge that gives 50% extra for 10 seconds, or a valkyr with 1260 armor and warcry which buffs it to 2400 for 30 seconds lol.

I dont think shrapnel will be useful anywhere. If youre modding for survivability and CC its always better to mod into rhino stomp. What the hell is the point of removing your defensive ability for a knockdown. Also vauban, loki, excalibur, nyx, nekros, saryn all better CC.

I think roar should be removed all together. There are at least 4 frames (elemental) that have 2x better damage buff with augments. Why the hell would be bulky "supposedly" tanky frame have a supportive ability, @(*()$ ridiculous.

Replace roar with a melee damage buff that adds S#&$ton of melee damage but reduces attack and movement speed. Fits the theme and the purpose.

I agree that it is often better to mod into stomp.  His augment mods don't do anything different than what he can already do with stomp.  The only exception is Piercing Roar and only for raids.  I highly doubt that stomp will have any effect on raid bosses, but piercing roar might be able to debuff the boss. 

If it can't, then it will be completely worthless.