Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Do You Think Violent Video Games Can Cause Aggressive Behaviour?

TheErebus.

Your title suggest things like "are video games the cause of misbehavior among teenagers"?

But your poll suggest "Do these things cause you stress when playing video games"

I dont see how it suggests stress or misbehavior on teens specifically. It's just in general "Does it cause aggression or not" with the poll having two alts. for what causes aggression and 2 where it does not.

No where does it say stress or misbehavior with teens.

A yes and no would've been far too simple.

Edited by ScrublordPrime

No, there is no solid evidence finding a correlation between the two.

+1. This^

I'm doing a little experiment and I wanna see what most people think of this.

Now, games with some social aspects is a different story...

Even in Warframe, sometime you get to see some interest people in the chat, other times, trolls. Also, this forum with its community can sometime makes your blood boil.

i will not partake in your poll.

the answer is no. it's always been no.

while we're at it, people that like the Metal Genre of Music are not 'scary mean people' either.

these things aren't causing any more 'anger' than anything else. talking to people around the world on the internet has the same effect as getting on a plane and going around the world and talking to random people.

- - - - -

contradictory to all of that bulls... and talking out of their a.. that news channels do, the calmest , most logical people i've ever known have all been people that play Video Games of all types, and listen to Music that is considered 'violent' (i.e Metal).

frankly, i'm pretty sure it's the opposite of what the news networks would all tell you.

people that never have any sort of outlet (whether it be Creative, functional, or anything else) are the ones that cause the most violent actions.

people that 'go on murdering sprees' are people that have no outlets for themselves. locked away from the rest of the world.

that some of them play Video Games or listen to Metal is of no connection. those are attempted outlets, but they were apparently still too disconnected to have a sufficient outlet.

and i'm very serious. people that harp on about how Video Games and Metal cause people to be horrible, are far more violent than the people they're talking about.

i see it with my own eyes, people that listen to 'calm' and 'relaxing' Music and don't play Video Games, and do little else - have abrasive attitudes towards everyone, will not have discussions with others, and will effectively plug their ears and say 'lalalala' when someone says something that they don't agree with.

neither of these things has any connection to people causing violence. violent people exist every day, every where. most of them don't take part in these. the news networks just selectively choose the ones that do, because they're easy targets.

the crux of this, is that if it's an American based News Network, ignore every single word they have to say. if it's based elsewhere, then maybe listen.

i will atleast, because i have no intentions of listening to American News talk about this week's or this year's scapegoat to blame for all their problems because they're too inept to actually face their problems and try to solve them. they're just content with pointing fingers and hiding.

in the 80's the big scapegoat was the Cinema Industry. in the 90's it was the Music Industry. for the past 15 years it's been the Video Game Industry.

what will the scapegoat be next? probably whatever the idiots get scared of next. whatever they're jealous of for making more money than them. who knows.

Edited by taiiat

I'm doing a little experiment and I wanna see what most people think of this.

You can vote in the poll below as well as explain and discuss the topic at hand:

http://strawpoll.me/4029855

I have edited the poll to allow for more variety

Memory: 

12 votes on the previous poll

9 went to Frustration

3 went to game mechanics

0 went to the violent imagery

the intransigent ones love blaming the flavor of month as it were...which conincidentally happens to be whatever new thing they dont liek at the moment,they always think they know "the best movies" the best music,and the best way to live

thats more a sign of there minds further narrowing into the black,bottomless pits of intransigence,not a gain of wisdom

just like a long amount of decades ago..when industrialization finally spread around the globe

workers,fearing losing there jobs to machines,threw there wooden shoes into the machine to muss them up..these wooden shoes were called "sabo",hence the word sabotage

and what happened to those workers as a result of there vile,disgusting,inexcusable intransigence?they were thrown in prison and the machine spread only increased in speed because of there actions

your cool though scrublord,im thinking you posted this topic as a snare to find those vile instransigent people

Yet another false propaganda narrative pushed by the mainstream media.

Contrary to what the mainstream media would have you believe, virtual violence doesn't cause violent behavior.

Remember that for every time the mainstream media hypes an instance of violence where the accused happened to be a video gamer:

-there are 1000's/10000's of other instances of violent behavior that aren't linked to video games in any way, and they mainstream media refuses to cover them because they can't fit in with the media narrative or some other agenda.

-for every "video gamer who goes ballistic" news story, there are millions of other people playing the same game that didn't go ballistic.

---------------

It's been proven again and again that violence in the media has no correlation whatsoever with violent behavior. The reason why the mainstream media keep spouting this garbage again and again is part of a larger "big government, more control" agenda

The (false) premises of this agenda:

-False premise #1: People are fundamentally incapable of figuring out what's good for themselves, and therefore the government needs to step in and regulate everything.

-False premise #2: People aren't responsible for their mistakes. All mistakes are the result of something beyond the control of whoever screwed up.

The results of such flagrantly bad logic? Bad arguments like "fast food causes obesity". Fast food doesn't cause obesity, it's the people who overstuff themselves with it making themselves obese. Likewise, if someone happens to play a violent video game, there isn't some mystical force that will suddenly take control of them and cause them to go ballistic.

Blaming violent behavior on video games is nonsensical and a farce. It's no different from blaming obesity on fast food or blaming vehicle crashes on texting. Such bad arguments would have been tossed out years ago if the big media and big government didn't see so much potential for new regulations and control over the population.

-------------

tl;dr; Despite what the mainstream media says, people have free will and responsibility.

Okay, I'm usually pretty thick skinned with video games, I've been playing Mortal Kombat since I was a little kid.

However, for probably the first time,

really disturbed me. There's a lot of teenagers who have dark points in their lives, where they hate the world and themselves. It's perfectly normal to have a period where you contemplate doing something to yourself you can't take back. That's why I really can't stand a game like this that would champion such behaviour, and make it look "cool".

Again, the game didn't make me feel violent, but it did make me sick. I can imagine how it might influence people of a more vulnerable state of mind.

I knew this game would come up here... :p

This game would have been a good one if it told how completely sick mass murderers/people who got nothing to lose would do.

Showing with many warnings that you are playing the bad guy,the ugly reaction to our sick world,etc...

If it glorifies amogs, this indeed would be a disgusting game!

Anyway, if you are very very very easily influenceable, any exterior idea can give your own minf bad directions! It applies to a huge amount of things(what you read,what you see,a tragic eveny in your life,a "friend",your family relationship....), not just games!!

Edited by unknow99

I do not think that video games make people who are naturally not aggressive more aggressive. When someone who is naturally aggressive like myself plays a video game sure it means ill get mad easier but it does not make me MORE aggressive i was already aggressive to begin with. 

If people are wondering what makes people who are not aggressive more aggressive its most likely other human beings. If a teen becomes aggressive it will be from actual life not a video game. I will point my finger at school particularly high school if anything will make people more aggressive its definitely that. But it is what it is