Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

There Are Two Kinds Of Tennos

CanOfBeans

I could care less if you are MR19 or MR10.

Bleh.

But what I care about ?

Mod score, number of formas on equipped gear.

DE has no way of letting us know currently.

Conclave gives an estimation, but it is not a good one.

Edited by fatpig84

I level mastery rank so that people will see that I'm better at the game than lower levels.

I dont die a lot, I stick with the team when needed, and I can pull the heat off anyone if they are starting to hurt, I'm a team player and I dont want someone telling me I'm not good cause my mastery rank isnt high enough.

... which is why I just finished building gear for mr 18. :)

I think it's weird to say that someone in the game has skill or doesn't have skill.

Maybe I'm just ignorant to it. What does having skill mean in a game like Warframe?

Dying less? Moving around more? Stronger weapons?

I'd say reaction time, spatial awareness, accurate priorities or forethought, to rez or not to rez, that is the question when your surrounded by heavies.

Generally I equate a player skill like a guitarist, repeatedly playing & developing your ability, be it able to play Metallicas "One" or able to carry the entire team through a difficult mission without relying on spam 4 to do it, least that's the way I see it.

Well, thats the general assumption these days, i agree. To find out you have to look at more stats though:

-frame used

-weapon used

-hours played

username helps a little too.

Didn't have this assumption before the viver fiasco.

E gate didn't help either.

Ain't that a sad truth.

This is a false division. The only division is this:

Tenno A: "Oh looks like the team is doing something serious, so I better bring appropriate gear and at least something good, either the frame or weapon, that would contribute to the team effort!"

and

Tenno B: "Oh look, a serious and high level mission, I hope I get something good out of this as I brought all low rank frame and gear and not do S#&$ for the entire duration!"

In short, there are "players" and there are "leeches".

So I think that the truth is there are 3 types. A.) those who take the game too seriously. B.) those who don't take it serious at all. And C.) those who just want to play and have fun with a neat game by either goofing off in it or playing missions they like.

The extreme cases of A are huge jerks, to put it lightly and as a huge understatement. They are kinda killing the drive in other people they run into to keep playing warframe. This is a COOP game, yet more times then not, playing with others is the last thing you want to do as you will likely run into one and the way they react to everything. You screw up/ make a mistake, they yell at ya and call ya things like this was Xbox live in a CoD game. You do good, they yell at you for kill stealing and/or rushing. They make a mistake, they blame everyone and everything else for it. DE nerfs something they like, they b**** to the high heavens about it. De buffs something they hate, they claim it killing the game. The mission is a success, they rub their "skills" in your face for the next 40 minutes. The mission fails, they yell at everyone, saying it all the others' fault the mission failed and that the team was holding them back or some other dumb excuse they can think of to take the blame away from themselves.

And the somewhat rare extreme cases of B, they just don't care. You are bleeding out, don't care. You need help with something, don't care.  Have a target to capture, don't care. You falling behind cause you had to pick someone up, don't care. Need to get to extraction, don't care. The Stalker/G3/Harvester coming, don't care. Got a few minutes to get the heck out of dodge, don't care. They got resources that can help the clan build the dojo/do research or blueprints/prime parts someone else can use, don't care. The mission is a success,don't care. The mission failed, don't care. If you haven't guessed yet, they just don't care at all.

An example of a extreme C is a troll and/or griever. they are both having fun goofing off in the game, but doing so at the cost of everyone else.

Each of the three can go from mild to extreme. Like a mild A is someone others kinda look up to. A mild B is someone who just goes with the flow. And a mild C is a bit of a mix of the others.

I really wish the extreme cases of A,B & C wasn't in warframe, but they are. And in rather big amounts of some of them too. But hey, that just my thoughts and opinions on it, so take it all with a grain of salt. o3o'

Edited by ZenroZephon

I'd say reaction time, spatial awareness, accurate priorities or forethought, to rez or not to rez, that is the question when your surrounded by heavies.

Generally I equate a player skill like a guitarist, repeatedly playing & developing your ability, be it able to play Metallicas "One" or able to carry the entire team through a difficult mission without relying on spam 4 to do it, least that's the way I see it.

I see I see

This is a false division. The only division is this:

Tenno A: "Oh looks like the team is doing something serious, so I better bring appropriate gear and at least something good, either the frame or weapon, that would contribute to the team effort!"

and

Tenno B: "Oh look, a serious and high level mission, I hope I get something good out of this as I brought all low rank frame and gear and not do S#&$ for the entire duration!"

In short, there are "players" and there are "leeches".

I had a MR 18 Tenno B type in one of my ODD runs earlier. Brought a level 2 Limbo and level 5 Prisma Gorgon, I didn't notice until too late. Had to extract at 15 because the mag prime was useless too. Too busy spamming 1 and doing 0 damage to everything.

Neither. MR does matter to some extent. It is not really the end-all, be-all, but it is a fair indicator.

One major issue is compression--the difference between 17 and 19 is more than the difference between 0 and 9, and if you're still missing 1/2 the stuff in the game, you're rank 14!

I always find it strange when players under mr18 complain about mastery locks, when they're almost all the same level of actual knowledge and skill.

I started playing midway through cryotic front and hit MR 18 about a month before update 16. I had a lot of time on my hands and felt it would be wasting affinity to not be ranking something up so I ended up ranking up most everything. I've said before and I'll say again: MR is not to be used to determine skill. I was MR 13 or so before I started running a significant number of missions with other people so I had no idea how to play with a full squad. All MR shows is that you have played enough with different weapons to have a basic understanding of what they do. And that's not very important. As has been said; someone with 1k hours with a single frame is most likely going to know everything about that frame whereas I played banshee to 30 then never used her again because I didn't enjoy the experience very much. I may be MR 18 but I've played with some MR 2 players who knew more about banshee than me. A better factor is what their mod rating is and did they level those mods up themselves or did they buy them maxed.

I know the frames I use regularly quite well and can play a wide variety of roles with different frames. It allows me to be flexible beyond what a lower ranked Tenno might be capable of but that's it.

Tenno C ( = Tenno A + Tenno B)

Codename: The Real Tenno

The truth is, both your Tenno A and Tenno B descriptions have truths.

From Tenno A --- does MR actually "matter"? No. It is indeed just a label to show a player's progression through weapons, warframes, and archwings.However, from Tenno B-- does MR show dedication and have even at least a slight correlation with experience? Yes. Having high MR typically shows that the player is dedicated to trying out new things, taking the time to level each weapon, warframe, and archwing, and all around has experience in-game.

Now for the hard hitting truth: I believe that if you fall strictly in either "Tenno A" or "Tenno B" typecasts, you're not a true Tenno.

If you're a Tenno A with low MR saying "MR doesn't mean a thing", all that means is that you're most likely a meta player that gets to a top tier weapon/warframe, then sits on it, never trying or experiencing new things the game offers. To me, that does an injustice to DE developers that dedicate themselves to continually improving the gameplay experience for its audience. On the other hand, if you're a Tenno B with high MR saying "#MRisLYFE", then you're probably an elitist that looks down on lower MR players. This also does a disservice to the game in that you ostracize and alienate yourself from a huge portion of the playerbase. DE has mentioned that they value both the newer and veteran players, so how can you say that your MR shows you're "dedicated to the game" if your playstyle and attitude conflicts with DE's true values/goals?

I know this may seem like a rant or suck up or something else that I'm sure someone will mention or comment on, but I think it warrants a read so hopefully people will take the time to read a few sentences. For those who don't have the time or energy to spare a few moments, I will include a summary below.

Summary: Don't fall into a typecast of Tenno A or Tenno B. A real Tenno possesses parts of each and doesn't limit himself/herself to a single category.

proper target selection is so underrated in this game. the guy who shoots chargers and ignores the HUGE GREEN GUY walking slowly is not helping. Or having the decency to die in a recoverable spot near cover or moving to such a spot after they are downed.

simple is best, and a lot of ppl cant even do the simple things right