The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Is It That We Don't Have A Spear Yet?

Valkyr-Umbra

Polearms are just the name of a category for weapons with "shafts". Pole-arm refers to the long shaft, it's a pole and you use your arms. Spears, halberds, pikes and etc.... all fall into polearm category, they all have long "handles" which are pole-arms.

Stop thinking that the only definition of a spear is the medieval western stick with a pointy end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_types_of_spears

This is "Asian spear"

vs9tx8R.jpg

What you want is the first one on the left, but they are ALL spears(which all fall under polearm category btw)

XVaAfGx.jpg

Edited by kiteohatto

Guys it's pointless keep repeating "Tonbo" it's clear we are talking of a puncture weapon, not a slash one.

We want to thrust deep, deep inside of our enemies.

Then OP should have been specific to what they want. Not go "we don't have any spears" and "no, tonbo doesn't count because it doesn't sit right with me". "It's not a spear in my head because it doesn't poke".

Polearms are just the name of a category for weapons with "shafts". Pole-arm refers to the long shaft, it's a pole and you use your arms. Spears, halberds, pikes and etc.... all fall into polearm category, they all have long "handles" which are pole-arms.

Stop thinking that the only definition of a spear is the medieval western stick with a pointy end.

This is "Asian spear"

vs9tx8R.jpg

What you want is the first one on the left, but they are ALL spears(which all fall under polearm category btw)

XVaAfGx.jpg

"The purpose of using pole weapons is either to extend reach or to increase angular momentum—and thus striking power—when the weapon is swung." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_weapon

Spears are a highly specific subcategory of pole arms, and distinct from other polearms in their usage. Depending on how the weapon in that picture you posted was used, it may or may not be fair to call it a spear. Use the tonbo or watch a video of it, it isn't a spear, its a polearm.

It is fair (but rather general) to call a spear a pole arm, but pole arms are not generally spears (as is the case with tonbo).

As a result of this, it is standard to refer to sweeping pole weapons as polearms and thrusting pole weapons as spears. 

Then OP should have been specific to what they want. Not go "we don't have any spears" and "no, tonbo doesn't count because it doesn't sit right with me". "It's not a spear in my head because it doesn't poke".

Tonbo isn't a spear.

"Spears can be divided into two broad categories: those designed for thrusting in melee combat and those designed for throwing (usually referred to as javelins)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear

EDIT: Spears do "poke"  its what distinguishes them from other polearms, and why most people refer to them as spears, and other pole weapons as polearms.

Edited by Snowman486

"Spears can be divided into two broad categories: those designed for thrusting in melee combat and those designed for throwing (usually referred to as javelins)." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear

EDIT: Spears do "poke"  it what distinguishes them from other polearms, and why most people refer to them as spears, and other pole weapons as polearms.

That's just the western generalisation of what spears do. The most common use is for thrusting, but depending on how the head is made it can be used for slashing. It all depends if you are going up against heavy armor(poking is better) or light armor(slashing is better). That's all.

-snip-

Actually they all fall into Staff category as a whole if we believe to what old times where called and yet mistakes where made: 

wr9R4eR.png

And if we where to follow to point on all mighty wiki then the Glaive is a polearm as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaive

WgKHMwY.png

Just b/c a name meant one thing doesn't mean DE needs to follow the "weapon type" of what the name means on point. 

Lore wise in this universe that expands to decades deep into the future, the name might as well had its meaning shifted overtime...whether via usage in combat (stances) or just translation loss....hence DE can shift the weapon as they see fit and name it to resemble however they please. 

As far as we known or given the name might been just insparation into the making of said weapon.

Now as for on topic at hand, I wouldn't mind if they either make a stance for Spear style combos or entire weapon base on it. It be a blast to impale enemies in long range for a change rather than slash them down like the Galatine for example.

Edited by Fionntan

That's just the western generalisation of what spears do. The most common use is for thrusting, but depending on how the head is made it can be used for slashing. It all depends if you are going up against heavy armor(poking is better) or light armor(slashing is better). That's all.

The focus of spears is thrusting. Can you slash someone with it? You can but they aren't designed for that. You'd be better off slashing someone with a pole arm that is designed for that (such as a voulge).  Spear's are thrusting weapons (and occasionally thrown), its their distinguishing characteristic, not a "western generalization".

Conversely, can you stab someone with a voulge? Yes, but because of the balance, you're better off slashing.

You could stab someone with a greatsword and slash someone with a thrusting sword, but thrusting swords aren't great swords, and vice-versa.

These weapons are not synonymous, they have different characteristics, which is why we refer to them with different terms. Technically spears are polearms, but people don't refer to them as polearms, they refer to them as spears (its more specific). If a weapon was designed to be slashed and thrusted second, like the tonbo, then it isn't a spear, its a polearm. 

tR1R2Hx.jpg

This image shows some more pole weapons/polearms, but I think we can agree that at least some of these aren't spears.

Edited by Snowman486

How is it that we don't have a RAPIER yet!?

Pangolin looks like a rapier, or at least like it could be a puncturing and thrusting sword, but its just another slash weapon really...

So many pointless(haha) slash swords in this game...

Edited by (PS4)fizzer94

It does indeed strike me as odd that spears, probably the most common melee weapon in actual historical combat, are not represented in a game that has multiple kitchen sinks.

But then we also don't have spear-cousin the javelin either.

Pangolin looks like a rapier, but its just another slash weapons really...

Now that you mention it, slash damage seems to favored by the majority of the melees we have so far.... followed by Impact as uncommon high damage and least common being puncture (which only handful favor it like Fang and Heat Dagger).

Heck, it makes sense why they plan to make Glaive Puncture.

Actually, spears that favor high puncture and at the same time add another throw-able melee could help add a bit of variety... 

I think people want a throwing and thrusting spear. A thrusting spear isnt really a problem to make combos for. Throwing though?  Very. How would the spear come back? Its not like a glaive or other throwing weapons which are essentially boomerang.

Spear made of nanites that reconstructs itself back into the user's hands after a brief moment?

Spear made of nanites that reconstructs itself back into the user's hands after a brief moment?

I like that idea :3

An alternative can be using spear connected with a chain we pull back after being thrown...

Spear%20Reference_0.png

or we can get crazy and use spear disposable bows

37ae2faca972b6f29a893ef2b19bdf3b.jpg

I like that idea :3

An alternative can be using spear connected with a chain we pull back after being thrown...

Spear%20Reference_0.png

or we can get crazy and use spear disposable bows

37ae2faca972b6f29a893ef2b19bdf3b.jpg

Or we could just carry around a quiver on our back with extra javelins in it.

Nah, screw that, your ideas are more awesome :D

$#*(@ when someone says spears they mean spears.  Not naginatas, spears.  Not guandos, spears.  Not glaives, spears.

The eastern naginatas and guandos were generally the "spear" of where they were, but they aren't spears.  They're glaives.

Edited by Cowstle

I would go for a spear, but then again, I practice with spear and halberd in real life.

They are hard to hide, but that could be overcome in a number of ways. Not sure how well they would work in game, but a few ideas I had.

Collapsible form like the original Orthos (When sheathed it shrank to half it's length)

Blade made of energy on the end of a stick. (Lightsaber spear anyone?)

Throwing spears made of energy that form from a special gauntlet.

Spear and shield (300 style!)

Edited by Kalenath

Maybe the spear could stay where it lands, and you have to pick it up like an item.

Too trouble some, in fact they might have chance of loosing said spear doing so x3

In fact it might provoke a bug where players can pick up someone else's spear (Referring to when Drahk disarm both players respected primaries they can switch)

Edited by Fionntan

This is "Asian spear"

vs9tx8R.jpg

XVaAfGx.jpg

Actually that there my friend, is a Naginata, its used more defensely. It's not a "spear" class weapon.

Spears are thrusting weapons point final.

Halberds are Puncturing/Slashing (1 end with a point to penetrate heavy armor, the other for inflicting crushing blows).

Naginata is a fine long ranged slashing weapon, used to keep swordsman at range.

I would go for a spear, but then again, I practice with spear and halberd in real life.

They are hard to hide, but that could be overcome in a number of ways. Not sure how well they would work in game, but a few ideas I had.

Collapsible form like the original Orthos (When sheathed it shrank to half it's length)

Blade made of energy on the end of a stick. (Lightsaber spear anyone?)

Throwing spears made of energy that form from a special gauntlet.

Spear and shield (300 style!)

I've always wanted to get my hands on a spear irl, I haven't been able to yet though :(

In regards to your practical concerns about spears being unwieldy, remember: this is warframe. 

5BKNaYD.png

But I agree that it would be cool if the spear was collapsible. Personally, I'd prefer a spear that looks a bit more traditional, but a corpus energy spear could be awesome (if this were to be a category of weapon).

Throwing spears made of energy/thrown by a special gauntlet would be INSANE, that is so freaking Dark Souls (lightning spears anyone?)