Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When Is Macro Wrong!

I personally have read most of the comments and rules on macro, but i have a few questions maybe you guys can help out. 

Software that comes with macro, example Razer products: you can use macro, but it uses software that optimizes your mouse, key board, or headset. 

Lets say for example your are using trinity skill 2 (energy vampire) while using macro, so you don't have to keep clicking number 2 for skill, but you are playing the game,  as in killing, picking up items, getting life support...ect. keep in minds energy vampire is running through macro at all times while multitasking. When is it wrong

Another example is Nekros, Skill 3(desecrate). Lets say team mates are killing the enemy at a camp spot, but Nekros is macro-ing and only using desecrate, the player that is using nekros(desecrate) can he/she be banned. 

If anyone as an extended clarification on this topic it would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance 

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey macros, and whether the use of AutoHotKey.exe alone is enough to warrant a ban (in short: it’s not).  We understand that while these hotkeys can be used for exploitative purposes they also serve a very important function in assisting players with potential disabilities -- something that we’re very mindful of.

Because of this there are other factors involved in receive a ban due to the use of AutoHotKey.exe, including a review of multiple stats on the account in question.  Should you receive a ban that you feel is not warranted, please submit a support ticket and we’ll be sure to review the circumstances regarding your ban as soon as possible.

We hope this clears up any confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey.exe and our stance on macros that assist players in-game.  Rest assured, running such software in isolation is not grounds for an immediate ban.

-DE_Adam

^ that

TL:DR - macros are ok cause they help players who have disabilities, they are aware of the exploits that will come with allowing said macros

Edited by Shinzo.K

DE are very unclear about using macros, while they dont approve it (saw in chat a direct answer from DE_kickbot dude), they wont ban anyone who uses macros, because, like you said, there are software, that uses macros in managing mouse or keyboard. What they dont approve is using macros for abusing game mechanics. Using macros to make 'normal' a bit easier is ok. IMO.

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey macros, and whether the use of AutoHotKey.exe alone is enough to warrant a ban (in short: it’s not).  We understand that while these hotkeys can be used for exploitative purposes they also serve a very important function in assisting players with potential disabilities -- something that we’re very mindful of.

Because of this there are other factors involved in receive a ban due to the use of AutoHotKey.exe, including a review of multiple stats on the account in question.  Should you receive a ban that you feel is not warranted, please submit a support ticket and we’ll be sure to review the circumstances regarding your ban as soon as possible.

We hope this clears up any confusion regarding the use of AutoHotKey.exe and our stance on macros that assist players in-game.  Rest assured, running such software in isolation is not grounds for an immediate ban.

-DE_Adam

^ that

TL:DR - macros are ok cause they help players who have disabilities, they are aware of the exploits that will come with allowing said macros

well its still very unclear because of "We understand that while these hotkeys can be used for exploitative purposes they also serve a very important function in assisting players with potential disabilities"

I am not entirely sure, but I have read that if you make your macro's in such a way that it basically takes over the gameplay for you (for example an autoclick with an on-off switch that you use to get the fastest ROF possible for an akbolto) that that's forbidden.

Personally I use a few macro's but not in a way that they take over. More like keys that I link to eachother to have the same functions. For example I use one of the sideswitches on my mouse as my melee button, but I still have to click it for every slash I wanna make. But if I click it so it keeps slashing by itself (maybe even with a pause so it automacilly makes a combo for a stance) that would get me banned I think. The same goes for F-keys on logitech keyboards. I have a CM-storm Trigger Z and it has those keys as well, but they are called M-keys. Instead of reaching the 4-button with my index-finger and also becoming unable to strafe to the right, I linked that key to one of my M-keys that I can trigger with my pinky-finger. That way the function stays the same.

Also for ROF on weapons like the AkBolto I think it was suggested to make the mousewheel as a fire-button. So if you have a scrollerwheel (like my Logitech G500) where you can take out the clicky scroll, it will just keep going. I have no idea if this was actually allowed now or not though. (I also don´t use it)

BUT --> there is always the simple way, ask DE what you intend to do with macro's and what specific reasons you have for it. They can tell you right away whether certain macro's can be used or if they are forbidden. A few people on the forums have done this iirc. EDIT: And if you ever get banned for using a macro, if you have the ticket number for that specific macro and DE allowed that macro, it can help you get unbanned more quickly.

Edited by SlytexNL

Personal experience on how I Macro:
I have a Macro set on all my Abilities. I find I usually keep 2 Macro'd though. Especially when using Loki, Trinity, Zephyr (is her 2 Turbulence?), 3 for Nekky (please keep in mind I switch between Macro and playing. Kill a lot of stuff, Macro until nothing will desecrate, repeat), blah blah. So I use it as an aid. I'm gonna wanna go invis as soon as I come out anyway, so Macro 2 and away I go. Set and forget.. My mouse wheel is also set to ability 2 and 3, so if I'm not Macro'ing, I'll just give the mouse wheel a spin for whichever ability I need and then there you go. Spams the ability in the same way. I find I rarely need to use my Macro on 1 and 4, although there are a very small few that I do (1 for Saryn, 4 for Ash, when I'm trying to Blade Storm (I know if I leave it to me to Blade Storm a target, I'll miss xD)).
TL:DRJust use it responsibly, I guess.

DISCLAIMER: If for some reason I need to go AFK in-game, I'll use a Macro just to aid the team partially while I physically cannot. For example, 3 for Nekky, or I'll even create a repeating one on the spot that activates, say, every 20 seconds if I'm using Frost or Limbo or something. Even a Rhino in those long Defenses, I'll Macro 2 and then have a timed Macro on 4 to go off say every 10 seconds. After I get back, I'll disable (and usually delete) that 4 Macro but keep that 2 going because let's face it. If I run out of Iron Skin, I'm gonna want it back, straight up.

The only bad macros are the afk macros. The ones that let the user go afk and the game play itself, that's the kind of macros that DE doesn't allow.

The other kind of macros like:

turning semi fire into burst or auto

simplifying button combinations

easing the pain of pressing the button a lot

These are fine, as long as the user is actively playing the game and isn't AFK.

Ofcourse it's hard to tell if the person is actually playing the game when they are using macros, but if they chat or move around then you know they are playing. Likewise, if that guy has been in the same place for a while now and hasn't moved or said anything then they are clearly afk.

I only have 2 macros setup, one is continuous left click hold(for mesa) and ctrl+spacebar jump thing(my pinky gets sore)

Edited by kiteohatto

Also for ROF on weapons like the AkBolto I think it was suggested to make the mousewheel as a fire-button. So if you have a scrollerwheel (like my Logitech G500) where you can take out the clicky scroll, it will just keep going. I have no idea if this was actually allowed now or not though. (I also don´t use it)

*Macro's Fire button for Acbolto* "No, no. It's my mouse wheel. I swear"

I don't do that because I rarely use Semi-Automatics, but hey. I'll bet people do and say this.

Personal experience on how I Macro:

I have a Macro set on all my Abilities. I find I usually keep 2 Macro'd though. Especially when using Loki, Trinity, Zephyr (is her 2 Turbulence?), 3 for Nekky (please keep in mind I switch between Macro and playing. Kill a lot of stuff, Macro until nothing will desecrate, repeat), blah blah. So I use it as an aid. I'm gonna wanna go invis as soon as I come out anyway, so Macro 2 and away I go. Set and forget.. My mouse wheel is also set to ability 2 and 3, so if I'm not Macro'ing, I'll just give the mouse wheel a spin for whichever ability I need and then there you go. Spams the ability in the same way. I find I rarely need to use my Macro on 1 and 4, although there are a very small few that I do (1 for Saryn, 4 for Ash, when I'm trying to Blade Storm (I know if I leave it to me to Blade Storm a target, I'll miss xD)).TL:DRJust use it responsibly, I guess.DISCLAIMER: If for some reason I need to go AFK in-game, I'll use a Macro just to aid the team partially while I physically cannot. For example, 3 for Nekky, or I'll even create a repeating one on the spot that activates, say, every 20 seconds if I'm using Frost or Limbo or something. Even a Rhino in those long Defenses, I'll Macro 2 and then have a timed Macro on 4 to go off say every 10 seconds. After I get back, I'll disable (and usually delete) that 4 Macro but keep that 2 going because let's face it. If I run out of Iron Skin, I'm gonna want it back, straight up.

I'm curious about your Loki macro. Do you just have it spam because I can see the "ability in use" beep gettion annoying. Or do you have it timed to go when it ends? And for the later what do you do if you run out of energy or it gets nullified

@ Pickle, I only mentioned that because it was out there. I don't use it myself because scrolling for firing a weapon would be... weird? (what's the word i'm looking for?) But yh, there will definitly be some people who use it in a bad way.

Then again I saw that this mousewheelscroll-to-shoot-all-the-things somewhere before, never know what became of it though so I don´t know whether that would be a safe thing to do or if you shouldn´t do it. If it is wrong to use your mousewheel like that, then it also an answer for OP.

Like I said, I just macro my buttons in such a way that they share the same function with another button. No automation, no click-for-repeat-20x-buttons. Just a simple share between 2 buttons so I have a second option to use a skill without losing my ability to keep moving. 

The only reason to use Macro's for me, would be for the semi-automatic weapons with insane fire rate.

Then again, I've got a mouse wheel that can "unlock" and rotate at the speed of light with one swing. Great for those semi-automatics!

Anyway, I think it just comes down to this:

Macro's for convenience: Allowed

Macro's to play the game for you: Not allowed

Examples:

Macro Nekros dessecrate: Allowed

Macro Nekros dessecrate, macro Energy restores and macro moving around every few seconds so that the game doesn't register you as being AFK: Not allowed

I'm curious about your Loki macro. Do you just have it spam because I can see the "ability in use" beep gettion annoying. Or do you have it timed to go when it ends? And for the later what do you do if you run out of energy or it gets nullified

Well, see, I don't actually play with sound, as it clashes with my music xD So I just have ALL my Macros spam UNLESS I create one on the spot, like the mentioned Frost example. So in the event that I happen to get Nulled, then I get my perma-Invis back one I leave the bubble or the Null dies.

Something that chains multiple (different) functions without your input or moves your control around without your input (like mouse moving by itself) will get you banned.

Macros that repeatedly do one thing (cast an ability every X seconds, quickly fires your semi-autos) even if it doesn't require input from you, macros that move your keybinds around ( assigning melee to a side button) are allowed and won't get you banned.

Example of what got somebody banned:

He had a macro setup to move his mouse cursor and click automatically to quickly use ciphers during hacks.

He got banned 3 times for that.

If you don't have a physical disability and you're using more than tilt wheel it is my opinion that you have crossed the line into plebeianism

If you can't be bothered to press a certain key at a certain interval of time how can you be bothered to press any key at any time..

Weak. Sauce.

It's all good I guess. Whatever makes you feel like you're enjoying the game more. Hell I leave my shoe laces tied and slip my shoes on. I guess that's pretty much the same innit