Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrows Need More Love!

LunarFlower

Sometimes I forget how useless Kubrows are and bring my out of stasis for a few runs. Then I'm being reminded about pathfinding problems, broken attack patterns, maintenance and I return to Sentinels, who are actually helpful and cost nothing to maintain.

At this point I'm just another person stating what many others have already stated, but I also think DNA destabilization should be removed entirely, or heavily reworked, it's a time and credit sink and an attention hook that I don't appreaciate a game trying to put on me for wanting to use a cool alternative feature it offers me.

I love Kubrows, they are extremely adorable and I love just petting them for no reason other than because I like playing with them, but I don't remove them from stasis both because of stasis sickness and DNA degradation, so once my Kubrows reached 30 they haven't left Stasis.

I'd love to have a reason to bring them out without fearing losing them or having to wait 3 hours before I can use them...

So I literally use my Kubrow as a pet. Like LITERALLY. I'll play with it on my Liset from time to time, but really it just stays on my ship or goes back to the stasis. Pound-for-pound, credit for credit, plat for plat, whatever for whatever, the Sentinel in the current state of the game is just easier to get, easier to maintain, and less to worry about, and has more accessories to mess around with.

That's not saying I don't like my Kubrow, but until something changes I too will have to just keep it on the ship.

Also I really don't like how it loses DNA integrity so quickly. I mean that would be like if my dog started to lose 'DNA' integrity day after day. That would just be weird and then died on me. Like this is a creature that is freaking killing Grinneer and Corpus and Infested out in missions and in some cases tearing through these enemies yet once it's back on your ship where there is no violence against it and it's safe and sound, this thing starts losing DNA integrity? What? Like why??? Once again I am not a big Kubrow user, so maybe somebody can explain this to me. Like I know in the Lore these animals were re-created from basically it's glory days and the re-creation has left it with genetic defects that needs monitoring and caring for but lets be serious for one moment here. Do you know ANY creature on the face of the planet that has it's genetic integrity breakdown by 10% every 24 hours and is still powerful enough to fight fully armed and functional military units? If anything ever had a genetic degradation rate of 10% every 24 hours, that thing would just be dead or lying in a hospice constantly waiting to be cared for. I guarantee you it would not be doing what the Kubrow is capable of doing in war.

Like I know it's game and it doesn't have to match reality, but it needs to kind of make common sense right? You can't have a seriously, genetically defective creature that loses it's DNA integrity on a daily basis and STILL be super capable of going out into full scale war with you. That is just S#&$ that don't make any sense.

DE please stop this. It really doesn't make any sense to me. Or please provide a plausible Lore or explanation as to why a creature that's basically genetically breaking down daily is capable of being a suitable companion for a power race of warriors.

Thanks!

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

I don't care if kubrows came with jet packs and rocket launchers, if you can't swap them out immediately without 3 hour wait, forget about them. Mine stay on permanent ice and yes I've upgraded all useful mods, bought patterns, etc.

They are just to much trouble to maintain. My sentenils can be swapped out at will depending on mission type / my mood.

Fix this and we will see kubrows again. Otherwise, they can be deleted from the game to make room for more electrons for all I care.

Edited by Educated_Beast

Kubrow are too high-maintenance for me to consider using one beyond the initial "get them all to 30 for Mastery."

Compare them to the Hunter class pets in World of Warcraft way back when--on top of needing entire bags full of ammo lest they not be able to use any of their ranged abilities, Hunters used to have to feed their pets and keep their Happiness topped up, or their pets would run away and then the Hunter would have to tame and level another pet.

Kubrows simply aren't worth the hassle or expense of DNA stabilization.

This is such a ridiculous excuse.  Even if you main a Kubrow and play constantly those DNA stabilizer packs will last a week.  75k credits a week should be easy for any level player.  I use kubrows all the time and it's never a hassle to use 1 stabilizer every few days.

Yeah but you don't need any credits to maintain a Sentinel.

Also just pointing this out and not saying who is right or wrong but at 75,000 credits a week (as you said above) and 52 approximate weeks in a year that means annually you are going to be spending 3,900,000 credits to maintain your Kubrow in that one aspect. That's almost 4 Million credits. That may not be a lot (depending on who you ask) but compared to the big fat ZERO that your Sentinel costs to maintain, it is....well it's 4 Million credits more at that rate.

Just saying.

Also just pointing this out and not saying who is right or wrong but at 75,000 credits a week (as you said above) and 52 approximate weeks in a year that means annually you are going to be spending 3,900,000 credits to maintain your Kubrow in that one aspect. That's almost 4 Million credits. That may not be a lot (depending on who you ask) but compared to the big fat ZERO that your Sentinel costs to maintain, it is....well it's 4 Million credits more at that rate.

Just saying.

That's a really good point. Kubrows may be tougher, as far as survivability, but is it really worth 4 million credits per year, especially for those who don't have the time to play everyday? "Just put them in stasis until you need them," you might say, but then you have to endure a three-hour wait before you can even do anything with them. There's frankly too much anti-player design in the kubrow, when Rebecca seems like she'd been pushing for all Tenno to have access to them. There's too much emphasis on "players need to make tough choices in maintaining their dog," rather than "players should enjoy their dog."

Edited by Endrian

This is such a ridiculous excuse.  Even if you main a Kubrow and play constantly those DNA stabilizer packs will last a week.  75k credits a week should be easy for any level player.  I use kubrows all the time and it's never a hassle to use 1 stabilizer every few days.

That's the thing, it's NOT 75K per week. The stabilizers return 40% of the Kubrow's health. To drop to that 60% mark, it takes four log in days. Then give a stabilizer...then another four days. 5 of them, if used at the 60% mark would take about 20 days before another purchase is required.

So it's not every week, but still is something that needs to be re-looked at.

<Bunch of overblown math>

Just saying.

75k a week? How?! Do you just refuse to let it degrade down to 60% health? Well that's your fault - not the kubrow mechanics - its still perfectly viable with that ever so teeny-tiny health degradation.

Once every 4 days it needs a stabiliser - there's how many in that 75k pack? 5? 6? So we're talking 75k ever 2-3 weeks.

Even though I use a kubrow ALL THE TIME -  I do not notice any kind of "expense" - and I don't even play that often.

You know what I do notice? Every time I use a Sentinel for random reasons - it blows up - right when I could use a bit of extra whump - its gone!

Never have to put up with that rubbish from my dogs - so I guess you get what you pay for, eh? Solid companion for life, or gimmicky utility that's just gone when you most need it. Know which I'll pick.

75k a week? How?! Do you just refuse to let it degrade down to 60% health? Well that's your fault - not the kubrow mechanics - its still perfectly viable with that ever so teeny-tiny health degradation.

Once every 4 days it needs a stabiliser - there's how many in that 75k pack? 5? 6? So we're talking 75k ever 2-3 weeks.

Even though I use a kubrow ALL THE TIME -  I do not notice any kind of "expense" - and I don't even play that often.

You know what I do notice? Every time I use a Sentinel for random reasons - it blows up - right when I could use a bit of extra whump - its gone!

Never have to put up with that rubbish from my dogs - so I guess you get what you pay for, eh? Solid companion for life, or gimmicky utility that's just gone when you most need it. Know which I'll pick.

Ohh, ohhh, ohhh do we get a Jinx for posting at the same time? :D

lolol...ahhh you guys clearly did not read my post...if you have a problem with the 75K a week reference go take it up with RiversofGore. Like I said in my post my calculations is based on HIS 75K a week reference. It's not my example. It was a response to his previous reference.

Also it's not OVERBLOWN math, it's actually SIMPLE math, as simple as it gets.

Also my sentinel doesn't blow up for random reasons. It's actually very reliable. I don't know how you have yours built or modded. But clearly it's not doing what it should be doing.

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

I am one of the few that prefer my Kubrow over Sentinels.

I only have a few hours some days to play and it is impossible due to work and family commitments for me to get my Kubrow out of stasis 3 hours before I play.

So like most people out there, my little puppies are forced to a life in the freezer.

I don't care if they were free to maintain and Cephalon will keep alive until you pay. As long as you have a 3 hour wait to swap them out (say you want to use a dog that can grapple for capture mission but stealth on another), forget about it.

If the wait was 5 minutes forget about it. No wait, just like sentenals, then I'd use them.

Otherwise they are just a piece of garbage that the majority of player base will ignore.

Kubrows, the way they are designed, just sucks. I vote for deleting them from game if they refuse to remove the wait which decreases utility.

If that was gone, I'd like them despite their lower damage because some skills are cool (slash and melee versus ranged and better pathing).

Just seems like a lot of wasted effort by DE to lock them in a room.

Edited by Educated_Beast

There are 3 reasons I don't use kubrows.

1) If I don't log into warframe frequently and didn't put them in stasis then they die. Think of pets in real life. Unless you live alone, someone is taking care of the pet. If you DO live alone then you don't just freeze your pet, you ask someone else to care for it when you can't. Perhaps we can get someone from within our dojos to care for the pets when we're gone?

2) The things die during missions. All the freaking time. Often. Especially on high level missions. There are unfortunate and heavy penalties for this.

3) Why kubrow when you can carrier? There is zero reason. Carrier renders all other pets useless. This is really sad.

Edited by mrecentric

I like both and would, given the choice, happily use the specific pet for the mission type it was designed for.

And to be honest I barely notice the cost of dna stabilisers. A few short dark sector defense missions and you are covered.

But, the basic premise of the Kubrow, the greater emotional attachment and the versatility of the different breeds, are clearly compromised by the risk of the kubrow dying if you dont log on for a few days (ill health, broadband problems, PC meltdown,) and the delay before you can take them on a mission due to stasis sickness.

Talk about all the mod improvements and greater functionality you like, (and those things are welcome, dont get me wrong,) but until you fix the basic faults of the kubrow, some people are still going to use sentinels no matter what.

As relatively simple suggestions I would urge you to consider letting Ordis put the Kubrow in stasis when its health drops to 10%, and refuse to let it out without a cost equal to enough dna stabilisers (3) to bring it back to full health, plus a load of credits and a threat to report you to the Lotus for animal cruelty.

Likewise I would strongly suggest that you implement a foundry recipe for a potion to cure the kubrow of stasis sickness immediately, even if it requires cryotic, argon crystals, neurodes and both night and daytime rare plants from earth to make and an orokin cell to cook it with. You could even add a -10% to the kubrows dna stability if you like. I know I feel that way myself some mornings. (Ok, hopefully it wont take quite that much to make, but even if it did it would be an improvement.)

There are 3 reasons I don't use kubrows.

1) If I don't log into warframe frequently and didn't put them in stasis then they die. Think of pets in real life. Unless you live alone, someone is taking care of the pet. If you DO live alone then you don't just freeze your pet, you ask someone else to care for it when you can't. Perhaps we can get someone from within our dojos to care for the pets when we're gone?

2) The things die during missions. All the freaking time. Often. Especially on high level missions. There are unfortunate and heavy penalties for this.

3) Why kubrow when you can carrier? There is zero reason. Carrier renders all other pets useless. This is really sad.

a dog will survive anything past 50 mins by that time even your team mates will have gone down more than your dog not to mention carriers would have died LONG AGO lol. Only reason why carrier is "more" useful other than missing 80 percent of shots and not shooting at all lol is picking up stuff...... That you will do anyway..... They have problems yes but at least they will last longer than 30 mins. Unless your invisible loki then it will last longer lol.

Uh...Yes. There's a reason almost no one uses Kubrows and stay with Carrier.

I'm still upset they haven't recognized Carrier's overwhelming advantage over any other companion and just given us a passive vacuum like they did with Archwing. Just make Carrier carry additional ammo and energy/health orbs (picks up extras that aren't immediately used, its capacity increases with the rank of the mod, dispenses them as needed for you to pick up), and give Warframes a passive vacuum ability. DE would IMMEDIATELY see an enormous increase in the variety of sentinels deployed.

I didn't say 75k a week wasn't easy to get. I said that Kubrows aren't worth 75k a week. Not to me, at any rate. The only thing any of my Kubrows have shown any talent for is getting in my way when I'm trying to shoot something. My Wyrm Prime, by contrast, has never blocked any of my shots.

Maybe if I were more of a dog person, I'd like them better. But as it is, all they do is eat credits that I could better spend on whatever pretty gewgaw Baro is selling this week.

There should be a clear difference between kubrows and sentinels. One idea is that make kubrows more powerful to account for the high maintenance required. Here are some ideas:

* Kubrows can't equip weapons, and don't have two sets of mod slots like sentinels (body+weapon). This could be fixed by adding Kubrow Collars as separate equippable items. These could be supercharged with a potato and use a subset of sentinel mods. The idea is that the collars are mechanical which imbues special abilities to the kubrow just like our suits do.

* Allow kubrows to revive players instead of just a sanctuary mod. This should be a major point of distinction from sentinels. Also a huge reason for solo players to prefer kubrows.

* Add generic ability mods that can be used by all kubrows. Sentinels have Coolant Leak, Sanctuary, Self Destruct, Fired Up, Guardian, Sacrifice etc.

A couple of 'coming soon' things here:

- We're experimenting with giving Kubrows their own Sanctuary mod - if things go well it'll happen sooner rather than later.

- Daily DNA Detox limits will be removed (no more 'you've reached your daily limit of DNA Detoxifiers'). This means you can catch up faster on healing them if you've missed a couple days or more instead of relogging in the next day just to heal, and so forth.

Ongoing topics of discussion:

- Stasis Sickness.

A brief update from the desk of Kubrow.

- Daily DNA Detox should be removed

Fixed that for you.

I find it cruel that the poor "thing" is so unstable genetically that it cant survive without it medication...

Edited by Merlinhawk

That is not more a Kubrow that is a Robot and what i do if his battery is empty ? i guess i know what i do. i throw him of a junkyard and buy a new one :)

I wasn't proposing this as an Idea to add to the game, Its just fun a picture I made lol.

But if Blade wolf was in the game i'm pretty sure he would run on the same power source that sentinels use.

I didn't say 75k a week wasn't easy to get. I said that Kubrows aren't worth 75k a week. Not to me, at any rate. The only thing any of my Kubrows have shown any talent for is getting in my way when I'm trying to shoot something. My Wyrm Prime, by contrast, has never blocked any of my shots.

Maybe if I were more of a dog person, I'd like them better. But as it is, all they do is eat credits that I could better spend on whatever pretty gewgaw Baro is selling this week.

Furthermore, Kubrows don't have mods like Guardian, Sanctuary, Regen, Coolant leek and other utilities mods that make the real difference.