Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are Patches So Small If The Dev Team Is So Big?

Spindle99

I understand that but the updates never seem to vary much and it's always a very narrow type of addition, really sad that stuff like Archwing and Dojo seem to get no love.  So much money spent on making Archwing and almost everyone hates it.

Devs can only work on so many aspects of the game at one time OP.

What did you think we all did before melee 2.0?

DE typically introduces a new mode etc. Gets it working, then comes back and adds new stuff/updates later.

Thats how most devs do things.

You realise everyone would be complaining if they dropped everything to only work on those things right?

Then I guarantee you would have made this exact same thread except it would have been about deception 2.0 and kubrows instead of archwing and dojos...

In fact, about 6 months to a year ago the common complaint was the lack of work on bugs over content, so DE switched priorities and made updates smaller in terms of new content and started focusing more on bugs and stability.

All you've done it turn the tables around.

Basically, there is no pleasing everyone.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Love when people who have no experience actually making a game/programming/etc. And how the process of game development works try to come and say how it should be done lol

Even something seemingly small for a project, like adding in a new CPU governor in Linux for example takes far more work than you realize.

It's just one addition right? How hard could it be? Little do you know it took weeks to get it working in the state it was released.

I get you want more, that's fine, but it's not just simply throwing a limited number of people all at one thing. Most of these people probably already work 50+hrs a week and bust their &#! to give you what we get already.

Edited by Echoa

OP makes good points, yet people never fail to blindly defend this company. Reminds me of Nintendo fans.

It is odd to see U13 to U14 and U14 to U15 only take 3 months, for example, then  have U16 take 5 months only to have equal to or even less content than the previous two. Especially when the staff has only increased over time. 

There's also the case of bugs still being around for over 2 years (explosions going through walls, volt shield, and snowglobe for example).

I don't think anyone thinks that the devs aren't working, because they'd be fired otherwise. Though when the results are this low quality, then of course it will make players question what you're doing. Then saying that this year will be the "Year of Quality" just gives people more ammo to fire shots at you.

I know it's only 4 months into the year currently, but so far the updates and hotfixes have just offered less content overall, and the same old bugs as before. I think a change of coding priorities is in order if your team is indeed working on things beyond U17 already.

Despite the priority of fixes, believe or not they do need to push more content that bring in money for them to keep working on bugs. I can reconcile with some of those unfixed bugs. It is very likely they are working hard to fix it, but haven't found a way around it yet as it may break other parts of the game.

Nice analogy. The crazier thing is that when people work separately on different pieces of code, they have to make sure everyone stays consistent with the right variables and such too.

Sometimes, putting the work of a team together, takes more time and effort than having a single resource doing everything. But this is a too complex theme, I won't even bother start. You need to understand, costs, specializations, project managing... The guy already thinks people at DE are like 1900's factory workers, lets not put a strain on his little head.

I can understand TS.

Everybody have their own priorities and wishes. "Fix my bug now" is normal reaction. Especially if this bug spoil your game every damn day, and there is no end to this.

It's even more drastical, then your personal problem is small and can be fixed in small amount of time/work - but it's collect dust entire year, and nobody cares. It's irritating, annoying and insulting for the player and for the client.

Example from real life: New augments are released. Some of them are useful, some are not. Meanwhile, Sure Shot (and Co) is still s-u-c-k.

I mean, WTF is that? Can you grab some guys from "Mods" section and tell them: "There is many topics about Sure Shot (and Co), spend 1 week and fix this old problem".

Edited by letir

I actually asked him the same thing in another thread and he said I've got some sick fascination with him.

Let me help you out, if my posts bother you so much (yet you can't help reply to them).

Click your username at the top right.

Click "edit my profile" and then "ignore preferences" on the left side.

Add my name to that.

Enjoy!

*snip*

Here is a genuine problem I see with this forum, it's choc full of white knight fanboys (which is cool in a way, it's great you love the game).  The problem with that is they will not tell it like it is, they will have something they aren't that happy with and will say it's the best thing they ever saw. 

I'm probably one of the 'fanboys' of which you speak.  But I don't lie about the things I don't like in WF.  The things I think people are being unreasonable about, or sounding 'entitled' about, I will often call them out about.  If they complained publicly, I'll call them out publicly.  If I feel strongly enough, I'll *@##$ about something in public on the forums myself.  But usually, I don't whine on the forums for this reason - complaining doesn't solve problems.  It's just whining.  And typically, I'm not smart enough to have a solution to propose.  So in those cases, I just shut up, because I have nothing useful to contribute.

Yes, airing our opinions has it's place.  DE needs to know what we like and don't like.  But I often feel the forums are little more than Crankypants Central, and more often than not, simply complaining about something doesn't accomplish anything.  (Suggestion: If there's something you don't like, SUGGEST AN IMPROVEMENT.  Don't just *@##$ about it.)

If I feel commenters are 'piling on', I'll defend DE, because they're not bad guys.  At various times in my life, I've made a living dealing with the public, and I know people can become unreasonable very quickly.  Plus, very few folk post to praise-it's much more common to bellyache.  That's just human nature.  So from time to time, I'll try and point out the positives.  And that can make me sound like a fanboy.  So be it.

OP makes good points, yet people never fail to blindly defend this company.

ohohohohoh... naaaaah... I am not defending them. There are bugs that I wish to get fixed, and buffs & nerfs to be implemented already, but they can't for whatever reason they will never tell us.

I just understand what devs are going through in terms of programming and whatever related to it.

OP makes good points, yet people never fail to blindly defend this company. Reminds me of Nintendo fans.

More often than not, I see people complaining about DE, not defending it, so what you are saying does not really make any sense.

Am I saying DE work is perfect? No, I cannot, for the simple fact I don't have details about it. I know their product is huge, and I know the complexity of huge softwares.

I do know programming, I have for 22 years...

Makes no sense criticizing the amount of content fixed by the size of the patches, neither does by the size of the team involved. Even people that are not involved in software development see this, and this is why we had such a "white knight's" thread.

And I'm just here looking for that one piece of coding on my website that'll fix all/most of my problems.... and I'm only 2 days in...

Please know what you're talking about OP. Debugging and adding content isn't as easy as you think, and I'm only talking from a CSS/HTML/Javascript aspect which is most likely tons simpler than C++ and the sort.

Why do people question what I said about white knights? this thread proves the point I was making perfectly.   Some (not all, I'm not generalizing but a lot) actually get personally offended if you say something even slightly negative about the company and feel the need to defend it and bash the poster.

I don't mind people disagreeing that's cool and fine, this is a discussion forum.  However some of you guys get really bent out of shape over stuff.

That's the definition of a white knight, they must defend the honor of their devotion, even though it needs no defending.

To many people, they will simply not post here and give valid feedback because they are afraid of the white knight army.  That is really sad.

Edited by Spindle99

Why do people question what I said about white knights? this thread proves the point I was making perfectly.   Some (not all, I'm not generalizing but a lot) actually get personally offended if you say something even slightly negative about the company and feel the need to defend it and bash the poster.

That's the definition of a white knight, they must defend the honor of their devotion, even though it needs no defending.

To many people, they will simply not post here and give valid feedback because they are afraid of the white knight army.  That is really sad.

A white knight is a person who defends women over the internet.

Who knows how it's meaning got twisted to what should be called a 'fanboy'.

So is us defending DE being a White Knight or does it involve the bashing as well?

If it is the former, then you are sorely mistaken. Because that is not what a white knight is.

If it is the latter, then yes you are correct. But do not group the defenders with the blind defenders.

Probably because they're pacing their work, already working on stuff for 16.5, 17, beyond, etc.

Do you honestly expect 1GB+ updates every month?

well we expect updates to be of good quality and not affect anything they shouldn't affect.  If DE can't patch a game successfully, why are they trying?  A lot of developers for other games such as CoD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, etc, spend months on a new update, and that fixes everything it needs until something new pops up or a piece of code for some reason decided to stop working.  If it means having a good quality game, then yes.  1GB a month at least would be fantastic.

A white knight is a person who defends women over the internet.

Who knows how it's meaning got twisted to what should be called a 'fanboy'.

It doesn't have to be a woman, it can be anything and the term still fits.  Many here do act that way, to a rather extreme level I might add.

Heck we even have people asking for the thread to be locked, why on earth would they lock it?  Are my thoughts so painful?

Edited by Spindle99

well we expect updates to be of good quality and not affect anything they shouldn't affect.  If DE can't patch a game successfully, why are they trying?  A lot of developers for other games such as CoD, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, etc, spend months on a new update, and that fixes everything it needs until something new pops up or a piece of code for some reason decided to stop working.  If it means having a good quality game, then yes.  1GB a month at least would be fantastic.

CoD and Battlefield are both content heavy games at release. That means that they have time to spend a month about updates without needing to worry about keeping the fanbase alive.

Assassin's Creed is a single player game with a long average playtime and fun gameplay, again, it gives them time to make a 1GB update a month.

YOu cannot apply it with the condition that WF is in

I don't mind people disagreeing that's cool and fine, this is a discussion forum.  However some of you guys get really bent out of shape over stuff.

I think there may be confusion here as most of the posts, from my perspective, have been in response to the lack of information as shown with the initial perceptions put forth in the opening post and simply using the company in question only because you did. Other posters have gone off to say that this sort of time in=/= time out in various kinds of things does not hold true in a more general sense as well. If anything, you are simply trying to call out people for talking about the same company you yourself did and the fact that you are doing just that is confusing given the terminology used.

It really isn't a defense of a company so much as just explanation of real-world logic and rules using said company as an example because it is the most relevant to the topic.

No, hardly painful.

Just misinformed and obviously bait.

They aren't bait at all, the fact you and some others get so riled up and see something that was never intended says more about you than what you think it does about me.

A common misconception people have is "I don't agree with you, therefor you are trolling" or "I don't like what you said so you're trolling". 

This is not what trolling is.

They aren't bait at all, the fact you and some others get so riled up and see something that was never intended says more about you than what you think it does about me.

A common misconception people have is "I don't agree with you, therefor you are trolling" or "I don't like what you said so you're trolling". 

Ah, the classic "no u".

You're not even trolling either. It's just a basic misunderstanding of how software development works. You took the intuitive solution, but sadly software development is far from intuitive. 

The problem is you appear to be very misinformed/uneducated on the processes of actually making a game and prioritizing content/bugs and how things are generally structured in the game industry. You continue to just call people white knights and suggest people just suck DEs epeen and worship w.e they release, that is not the case. Many of us have openly complained about bugs and other things, just we also have at least some to more in depth knowledge as to how things work behind the scenes so when you make statements that are obviously misinformed we take the opportunity to perhaps inform you and tell you that its incorrect and why.