Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gabe Newell Speaks About Paid Mods Ordeal

TheErebus.

It's not a bad idea at all, it was just poorly executed.

Mods should be always free but the authors should be able to put a donating price label at them.

I mean if it's for supporting modders...

Edited by Snyphurr

Eh. I get the idea behind it, I really have no problem paying for a mod if it's actually worth it (let's face it, a donate button isn't going to keep these people fed - I and others are too lazy to be frugal enough), but the whole "hands off" approach to policing the whole thing has already caused problems with stolen assets and it's not gonna stop. Either Valve mans up and tightens the whole shebang down, or they just give up altogeter.

The entire concept is an extension of what they have done with TF2, CS:GO, and DOTA2. A community member makes a professional piece of content and gets a portion of the proceeds. The difference here is that the community members are directly placing a price on their items instead of Valve choosing what gets sold.

If every paid piece of content went through a vetting process the idea would work.

Edited by egregiousRac

The entire concept is an extension of what they have done with TF2, CS:GO, and DOTA2. A community member makes a professional piece of content and gets a portion of the proceeds. The difference here is that the community members are directly placing a price on their items instead of Valve choosing what gets sold.

If every paid piece of content went through a vetting process the idea would work.

No it wouldn't, because the idea of mods is that it's supposed to be a free addition to the game. The others you've mentioned are all chosen by the devs to be added in as a form of content. 

This isn't an online game like the ones you've mentioned, it's a single player experience and if I have to pay money to get a mod then I'm sorry, but I'm just gonna not support this process at all.

Mods are not supposed to monetized. You can donate to the developer and support them, but their entire foundation is that they are free modifications to the game.

Edited by TheErebus.

charging for them like Retail Products can ONLY end up in the system exploding with complaints and legitimate issues that come with the territory - such as stability issues, updates breaking Mods (which requires Mod Creators to actually fix or fix as fast as the internet that has no patience), blah blah.

once they buy it like a Customer, they are a Customer. they deserve something that always works, blah blah.

but Mods just don't work that way. they by nature, are unreliable.

selling them in a Retail fashion can't work.

It's not a bad idea at all, it was just poorly executed.

Mods should be always free but the authors should be able to put a donating price label at them.

I mean if it's for supporting modders...

Bethesda gets 45% of profits

Valve gets 30% of profits

Modders get 25% of profits