Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Game Is Pretty, But For Those People With Low, Ancient Budget Computers Are Being Left Behind

Mama_Sasha

Please keep in mind that this is not about me, but about those people with ancient tech who simply can aford buying a new computer or upgrading. Just telling them ''just buy a new comptuer'' or such is just cold.

Some time ago, you DE, made it possible to run the game on Windows Xp, a system long since been abandoned.

That is admirable in many ways, not just on a technical standpoint, but also honorable for people who cant upgrade to windows 7 or so.

But here is where i drop the ball. Why make it possible for WIndows Xp users to play the game, when you cant lower the quality of the game even further? You guys and gals might be thinking that i am talking crap or lying, but think for a moment. Those with low end, ancient computers, you think they choose those comptuers? Or that they can simply upgrade with the blink of an eye? Maybe there is a clue on why they cant upgrade. Guess what that can be.

Now i am not hating on you DE, but you got to understand, not everyone has powerful, tower computers that can calculate the gravity waves of the galaxy under 2 seconds. 

For you guys and gals with these kind of ancient tech, i feel for you. I for one, once had such ancient tech back in 2006, was still using Windows 98 with an Geforce 4 MX while the rest already had the gefore 8000 series. It wasnt until later i could upgrade. 

I have a friend who uses an old comptuer that he has been using 8 years, 8!!

His specs is as follows.

Intel Core2 Duo 6300 @1.86 Ghz

4GbRam

Win7 64bit

Geforce 9800GT 1GB

For you arrogant super computer users out there, this is certainly something you will laugh at, i bet you do, but you got to understand that with his budget, he cant upgrade or buy a new computer.

I Made a thread some time ago on how to make the game run even faster with a simple solution, wich was left unnoticed (probably due to not being a well known user), but that solution itself could help alot of users with ancient tech.

in any case, i jsut fear that more and more users with old tech will be left behind. just telling a user to upgrade to a new computer, is like telling a homeless person to buy a car, who cant even aford a loaf of bread.

That be all for now.

Thank you for your time of reading this thread.

EDIT: Just to point out, this isnt jsut about my friend, but for all people with low end computers. Thank you for understanding.

Edited by Cebius

Could you link me to that thread you made? I'd find it interesting, because i simply use a Laptop:

2.1 GHZ Intel Pentium B950

6Gb RAM

Intel HD Integrated Graphics Card

I run on 1280x768 resolution, with everything on Low except Texture Memory (Set on Medium), and everything but Dynamic Lighting and Anistropic Filtering turned off. I get around 20-30 FPS. Even less in relays and the Modding UI.

I've gotten used to my performance, as i very rarely get above 30fps. I believe there'd certainly be more ways for DE to increase performance in the game.

your friend just needs a better cpu, probably could get a good one used for $10-50

can you link me your performance guide? I know someone that could use it if it's good

Perhaps, but his HDD is anceint and pulls everything down.

Could you link me to that thread you made? I'd find it interesting, because i simply use a Laptop:

6Gb RAM

I run on 1280x768 resolution, with everything on Low except Texture Memory (Set on Medium), and everything but Dynamic Lighting and Anistropic Filtering turned off. I get around 20-30 FPS. Even less in relays and the Modding UI.

I've gotten used to my performance, as i very rarely get above 30fps. I believe there'd certainly be more ways for DE to increase performance in the game.

If i could find it since its been so long since i posted it.

Phenom II X4 945 3.1Ghz

EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2

4GB DDR2 800

Win XP 32bits

Playing here since U7, on medium settings, 30fps max, 18fps min. Your friend just need a better CPU

Oh, and im using a 160GB IDE Samsung HDD, even with U16, im still having the same fps

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

Phenom II X4 945 3.1Ghz

EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB DDR2

4GB DDR2 800

Win XP 32bits

Playing here since U7, on medium settings, 30fps max, 18fps min. Your friend just need a better CPU

Oh, and im using a 160GB IDE Samsung HDD, even with U16, im still having the same fps

maybe you are forgetting something, his, HDD perhaps? Even if he by a miracle gets a i7 even, it wont help mcuh with that HDD.

Also, posting your specs to show off aint helping for those with low end computers

6Gb RAM

I run on 1280x768 resolution, with everything on Low except Texture Memory (Set on Medium), and everything but Dynamic Lighting and Anistropic Filtering turned off. I get around 20-30 FPS. Even less in relays and the Modding UI.

here is the link to the thread. had to dig deep for it. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/338545-being-able-to-disable-shaders-for-performance-boost-suggestion/

Edited by Cebius

maybe you are forgetting something, his, HDD perhaps? Even if he by a miracle gets a i7 even, it wont help mcuh with that HDD.

Actually it would. HDD speed only determines load time. Not frame rate. Once the level and assets are "loaded" from the hard drive at the start of the level, it is all stored/executed from RAM for speedy access.

sorry man but I use a ancient HDD too, 160GB IDE Samsumg, and Im running on 1600x900. Its not his HDD, its the CPU

How old exacly? Whatever you got, it certainly is faster than my friend's. his HDD is 8 years old  and is clearly showing its age.

Actually it would. HDD speed only determines load time. Not frame rate. Once the level and assets are "loaded" from the hard drive at the start of the level, it is all stored/executed from RAM for speedy access.

That depends on the HDD itself. having all the computer stuff in good condition can bring good harmony in performance for sure.

His setup that he has now is ancient, and he has not the budget to upgrade, ever.

The idea of the thread is to talk about making it even more possible to gain more FPS on old comptuers, but i guess it is not a popular discussion afterall.

Edited by Cebius

I'm not complaining but I don't find any problem playing in my "outdated" pc. I am even playing at 1024 x 768 resolution (with Nvidia GPU stretch to remove the black bars) and set Warframe settings to 16:9. Sometimes I set to 800x600 for faster FPS.

This is my specs:

Windows 7

2GB RAM

Intel G2020 @ 2.90 Ghz (Dual Core)

500GB HDD

Geforce 210 DDR3 1GB

Moreover, I am satisfied how this current generation game being able to accommodate such low end PCs such as mine but it can only get as far on how low end it can do. 

Edited by Kipee

I'm far from being a white knight, I actually criticize DE more and point out all their wrong doings all the time.

But as far as developers worrying about old pc's and performance, DE is doing a good job.

Anyone with a 2 year computer no longer can play all those Ubisoft and whatever big companies titles, warframe still plays in allot of machines, even laptops and old pc's.

I'm far from being a white knight, I actually criticize DE more and point out all their wrong doings all the time.

But as far as developers worrying about old pc's and performance, DE is doing a good job.

Anyone with a 2 year computer no longer can play all those Ubisoft and whatever big companies titles, warframe still plays in allot of machines, even laptops and old pc's.

And that is admirable, but i think it can be pushed even more with the right settings. 

IT IS a popular discussion, I have a pretty old PC too, but things continue, Warframe is a really well optimized game, maybe DE optimized the max they could, but optimize the game because someone have a GeForce 6200GT or a Sempron 1.8Ghz Single Core is too much, it will hold the evolution of the game. Both the game AND the player needs to evolve

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

IT IS a popular discussion, I have a pretty old PC too, but things continue, Warframe is a really well optimized game, maybe DE optimized the max they could, but optimize the game because someone have a GeForce 6200GT or a Sempron 1.8Ghz Single Core is too much, it will hold the evolution of the game. Both the game AND the player needs to evolve

True, but not everyone has the money to upgrade. 

Naturally things are going to go out of date. However, (annoyingly) graphics in a few areas have been forcefully lowered/reduced by DE for all machines to increase performance, without any option to have the original quality back. So I wouldn't say 'old' machines are being forgotten about, but naturally they're going to eventually be left behind at one point or another.

Overall I am against lowering quality in favour of performance, unless DE actually make the changes optional, opposed to like before with a few of the changes. That said, I'm not sure how much further DE can go to help the less powerful machines as I'm not that knowledgable in that area.

Edited by Naith

Naturally things are going to go out of date. However, (annoyingly) graphics in a few areas have been forcefully lowered/reduced by DE for all machines to increase performance, without any option to have the original quality back. So I wouldn't say 'old' machines are being forgotten about, but naturally they're going to eventually be left behind at one point or another.

Overall I am against lowering quality in favour of performance, unless DE actually make the changes optional, opposed to like before with a few of the changes. That said, I'm not sure how much further DE can go to help the less powerful machines as I'm not that knowledgable in that area.

That is why there are graphic options that you can adjust. I think that we can add some more options that can fix the performance more if required.

That is why there are graphic options that you can adjust. I think that we can add some more options that can fix the performance more if required.

Problem is that I'm just afraid of DE introducing more performance adjustments which aren't adjustable, so in the end those with capable PC's are getting the short end of the stick.

Problem is that I'm just afraid of DE introducing more performance adjustments which aren't adjustable, so in the end those with capable PC's are getting the short end of the stick.

Programming as a vast field (and also a difficult one). If they do it right, both ends gets a nice deal.