Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is "casual" An Insult/negative Term?

Vargras

i think of the word casual as someone who want to succeed in games without putting effort on it, and i dont mean that games should be taken seriously from a player's perspective, but having the feeling of satisfaction without even playing the game in the first place, also known as "pay to win"

Btw, Casual and Wallet warrior are different things... A "casual" will play and enjoy the game in their own pacing and in their own time.. a Wallet warrior plays for 10mins and already throws their Credit card at the screen. Another thing, paying for ingame stuff doesn't necessarily mean "pay to win", specially in warframe where most people will just pay for item slots and cosmetics in their first few purchases.

Your argument makes assumptions that unless u're spending several hours in the game grinding you're not putting an "effort" into the game and a casual will procceed to being a Wallet Warrior. There IS satisfaction in every form of playstyle.

Those misconceptions are kind of the reason this thread even exists even though nobody should even bother with being called a "casual"

Edited by (PS4)Dan_Aria

I'm a casual player of warframe. I mean I only play for like 2 to 3 short matches and then I leave it. And even then, it's just for the fun of the game.

If someone were to call me a casual, I'd just say "Yup, I am" and then go on my merry way.

Conclusion: Don't care for what others label you. Have fun with the game however you wish.

Yup, I might aswell say it : I am a casual player too!!

I can't stand 40 minutes of T4. (strangely enough, I enjoy spending 30 minutes trying to complete a whole mission without alerting anyone)

The only distinction that matters is people who are $&*^wads and people who aren't. 

IOW, if someone's unskilled but isn't a $&*^wad, then it's not a problem; they might be fun to play with in other respects, and so long as they're aware that they're unskilled and play honestly within their parameters, listen to instructions and don't do anything stupid, then I don't think anyone seriously minds, even to the extent of "carrying" them a bit.  OTOH if they continually get the team into trouble, continually don't listen to instructions, continually chat bollocks, etc., then it's annoying.

Conversely, someone can be a skilled player and be a PITA, and not be worth playing with at all - they fill up all the psychic space with ego garbage in one form or another.

It's actually a toss-up which is worse - a skilled player who hectors other players (especially weaker players) or an unskilled player who has delusions of grandeur. 

Both are terrible to play with.

A PITA? What do you mean?

turkey-pita-ay-1875242-x.jpg?itok=mXlJ3N ?

It's nothing bad to be honest

But it still is annoying when some people complain everything is too easy and call the people who disagree casuals

If you unequip your Rhino Prime, Boltor Prime, Vaykor Marelok and Drakana/Scindo Prime the game becomes much more interesting.

Clears throat....ahem.

Being 37 I would consider myself in a position to say a couple of things.

Back in the day when consoles (NES, SNES, MEGA DRIVE, PSONE) etc were popular the term casual player was exactly as it sounded.....someone who played games casually to kill time/have fun.

They didn't take the game seriously and just enjoyed playing for the sake of playing. With all and utmost respect warframe can be played casually.

I remember the days of doom/quake DM multiplayer, and that has evolved into games like COD, battlefield, medal of honor and many other titles.

As you can tell by my tag next to my name I have a ps4.

I have a ps3, it doesn't get used as much but its great for watching and recording tv with the playtv set top box.

On the ps4 I have diablo 3 ultimate evil edition, tomb raider and the temple of osiris, monopoly, singstar, mortal kombat x kollectors edition and warframe.

Do I still consider myself a casual gamer or hardcore? Neither as I am not good at some games, whilst others I do quite well. Warframe every now and again puts me in my place with the 1 hit killls on my excal. Warframe I am still trying to get my head around. I have the basics down but mastering this game will take some time yet.

Casual - to not take things seriously and just to go with the flow, happy go lucky.

Hardcore - people who quite literally have had way too much red bull whilst playing...lol.

Jokes aside there is such a thing as too hardcore.

Not sure if anyone remembers this, maybe not for some as it may have been before their time. When WOW first come out, there was a guy who actually died playing it. The reason.......over exhaustion. He played the game non-stop with no breaks or sleep for a number of days.

I don't really view the term as in insult, at least no more than the usual glorious PC gaming master race vs dirty console peasant banter.

It can imply a few things, however.

For the most part, I view it as a willingness to spend time in the game itself. If you're only playing a few hours a week, that's pretty casual. If you're putting in a few hours a day, that's pretty committed.

Then there's the willingness to actually learn about the game, especially outside the confines of the game. Here you can get a lot of pushback from other players and also run up against issues with people not willing to learn, but who still want to participate in the more rarified reaches of the game. This is where the friction comes in.

The game itself is pretty casual, since it doesn't require a lot of outside effort to reach the upper reaches of character advancement (i.e. you don't need 9, 23, 39, or 71 of your closest friends to do stuff). There is some advantage to joining clans, but you're pretty much able to do anything significant in the game and obtain the gear you need on your own at your own pace (and I don't consider raiding in the game a positive or necessary, which is good).

And...that's pretty much how I view the term.

Casual is only insulting if you feel that way.

If I would call someone a casual it is not meant as an insult.

If I would say a game becomes to casual it is not meant in a bad way, although this way is maybe not appealing to you.

On the other hand, I only read the first few post here and they already raised my hate.

I am not blaming you OP, you just asked a question but the people are throwing with words like d**k, a**holes, elitism and what else, if you think casual is an insult and want it to stop, you should stop throwing around words like these.

I've been thinking... I might be that type of casual that farms/grinds lesser than those people who were with me along the timeline, but they farmed more... but I am that damn casual that doesn't give an eff if everybody gets ahead of me.

To the topic, calling someone casual is an insult, yes... sometimes it's a justifying one. One example is a newbie wanted to be taxi'd to Draco and grind there forever.They're so casual they just want to grind any weapon/warframe to the maximum rank... They're missing many things even if many of those are boring for others.

Then when a new thing, new change, nerfs and/or boosts came up... they end up complaining. They wasted their time without thinking or expecting that things will change, eventually.

Edited by faustias

I've been thinking... I might be that type of casual that farms/grinds lesser than those people who were with me along the timeline, but they farmed more... but I am that damn casual that doesn't give an eff if everybody gets ahead of me.

To the topic, calling someone casual is an insult, yes... sometimes it's a justifying one. One example is a newbie wanted to be taxi'd to Draco and grind there forever.They're so casual they just want to grind any weapon/warframe to the maximum rank... They're missing many things even if many of those are boring for others.

Then when a new thing, new change, nerfs and/or boosts came up... they end up complaining. They wasted their time without thinking or expecting that things will change, eventually.

Lol its funny coz its almost like they expect it not to evolve and when it does they have a heart attack....figuratively of course. Edited by (PS4)kombatchamp

I'm genuinely curious and want to hear from the community about this. It's typical to visit online forums and see people talking about how someone is "casual", or developers are "appealing to casuals". It's always with the connotation of being negative -- bad players are always referred to as casuals. Problems within a game are attributed to casuals. Why is "casual"... well, bad?

If anything, shouldn't it be the opposite case? Appealing to the masses has lead to multiple games becoming more popular than ever, with widespread player bases, and even in markets that are traditionally unfriendly to new players (trading card games and Hearthstone are an excellent example of this). Isn't it good that Warframe can draw in more players by promoting casual play and having less stringent requirements?

So, in your own words, why is "casual" bad? If you don't feel that it's a negative thing, then why do you feel that it's good?

The hate comes from casual players going into MMORPG titles or other hardcore games and wanting everything put on a plate for them (and using the excuse I work so I need to be able to get everything by putting in 2 hours a day), complaining everything is grindy (even though most of the original players liked it the way it was) and basically forcing the devs to ruin the game and make it watered down.

It's almost impossible to find a game that isn't watered down and casual friendly these days, they basically took over the genre!

The hate comes from casual players going into MMORPG titles or other hardcore games and wanting everything put on a plate for them (and using the excuse I work so I need to be able to get everything by putting in 2 hours a day), complaining everything is grindy (even though most of the original players liked it the way it was) and basically forcing the devs to ruin the game and make it watered down.

It's almost impossible to find a game that isn't watered down and casual friendly these days, they basically took over the genre!

Diablo 3?

Casual or try hard or wallet warrior blah blah.

It Is meant to be a badge. And to be worn with pride !

Yeah so what if I am a wallet warrior ?

I will still slap my Founder's excal in yo face if you keep bugging me about it. :D

Edited by fatpig84

i've never thought of the word "casual" being an insult.But i think most players see it as an insult to mean that you're as bad as a beginner i guess.

It's like on Moba.Whenever i say "HOTS is casual" i'm being insulted a lot even tho the developers themselves SAID their game is casual x_x

It's only an insult when a casual player believes his opinion to have as much weight as the opinion of someone who actually spends a considerable amount of time playing the game and, as such, knows better.

Please feel free to call me an elitist bastard for saying things as they are.