Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Proposed Starchart Changes [Megathread]

Poolboy

Removal of choice is never a proper option but i have faith they will however not completely screw us out on this.

At the end of the day 70% of mission nodes are filler when you've completed them. Does anyone actually actively play phobos or even europa/eris? Aside from thier boss battles and dark sectors mos of these places will be Ghost towns, there is no denying it.

The even mentioned it, if you look at the nodes being most placed, the top 10 likely get more traffic that everything below it combined.

Removal of choice is never a proper option but i have faith they will however not completely screw us out on this.

At the end of the day 70% of mission nodes are filler when you've completed them. Does anyone actually actively play phobos or even europa/eris? Aside from thier boss battles and dark sectors mos of these places will be Ghost towns, there is no denying it.

The even mentioned it, if you look at the nodes being most placed, the top 10 likely get more traffic that everything below it combined.

at this point, it's not removal of choice; it's removal of clutter.

Let me add this here for a sample of what this system could be :

Honestly, I like the idea of mission crafting.

Imagine instead of random nodes named solely after astronomical locations, we have nodes that represent represent bases on planets or moons and ships that travel through the solar system in regular orbits.

By doing missions, you divert these ships in their courses, either by affecting the ship itself or affecting its destination, so that resources are redistributed until certain special missions are opened up.  The current bosses can either be a final goal or be "mini-bosses," that provide a challenge along the way.

Now imagine that you, as a player, can build a, "map," that plots a course to a particular destination mission.  The maps of other players do not interfere with yours, and can only be interrupted by special events like invasions that directly intersect the course to your destination.  The invasions themselves can be considered maps that lead to one or many destinations with special rewards, you may even be able to choose a map that can branch into more than one destination.

As for the player maps, imagine being able to, "share," them with your friends.   You can set the course for a particular destination with a particular reward, and all the people who participate get a, "key," to play the final destination themselves once the map is finished and completed.

I like this.  The entry points on the map can still be used to create the current crop of standard missions, but players can still work toward more consistent goals.  You can also have a queue for people to help random others complete their maps, but do not get the final reward because the player hasn't shared the map.

Clans themselves can be vehicles for larger, more complicated maps, and Alliances could just expand on that.  Solar Rails could be positioned at strategic points in the solar system, cutting the total work needed for a map.

I support this.

Now this system is complicated.  It would require new art assets and the like.

But it would be awesome.

Let's face it, the current system eliminated the significance of your choices by flooding you with choices.  Popular missions are decided by wholly arbitrary means, and if you didn't get the memo, you're stuck wandering the solar system, looking for the "right," missions to play so you can progress.

Adding in a ton of useless choices that obscure useful choices is the same as removing choices.

Maybe it will be a rotation? Like if you want to play a low level extermination on Earth it will appear this week, and then next week it will be a low-level capture mission on Earth and you will have to wait for that Extermination mission to rotate back, or else play a higher level extermination mission currently in rotation on another planet? Maybe it'll work something like that instead of just being random and hopping onto Earth and hoping you get mission type [insert whatever mission type].

Like u said... its too early to start complaining but that bulletpoint scares the **** out of me! I do not believe that specific change is a good idea at all!

I don't want to wait to complain about something so stupid , if the mission has to change during it Lotus just say it , recently this has been happening more , like doing a capture or md it's change to extermination..

We need more and better information regarding this change... the brief explanation given during LS was a bit overwhelming and brief. 

Actually not , since it's clearly say you will get a random mission that you can't choose anymore , basicly you will have to quit countless time if you want to do something you really want , this feel like 

- CounterStrike map picker (when you're getting in first time)

-Any other ugly moba

-warface

Do we really need RNG mission to?

can someone point to the part of the Devstream where it is said that players won't be able to choose which mission they're running?

I remember DESteve saying that there was/is talk about keys that will offer special nodes in the star chart to get specific rewards, which I thought hinted at the decrease of RNG.  I don't recall DESteve saying that nodes will be random mission types.

can someone point to the part of the Devstream where it is said that players won't be able to choose which mission they're running?

I remember DESteve saying that there was/is talk about keys that will offer special nodes in the star chart to get specific rewards, which I thought hinted at the decrease of RNG.  I don't recall DESteve saying that nodes will be random mission types.

People are assuming that based on the node list dropping to 20 from 300, and they said some player choice will be removed.

While I agree that we need better information on the subject, a much more detailed description of EXACTLY wth is going on here would be nice...

...Even then, all that keeps going through my head right now is... "This is just a bad joke right?"

There will be some removal of player choice - you will no longer be able to select whichever mission type you want, whenever you want; hopefully this will be better for the game overall

but i like to prepare my loadout beforehand rather than jumping in :(

People are assuming that based on the node list dropping to 20 from 300, and they said some player choice will be removed.

Found the part of the Devstream.  It was towards the last 10 min...and very quickly glanced over without hard details.  Just talk, it seems.

There will be some removal of player choice - you will no longer be able to select whichever mission type you want, whenever you want; hopefully this will be better for the game overall

Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, kills my interest in a game more effectively than not being able to pursue the goal I want to pursue.

I'd like to relate this to another game: Payday 2. I'm sure some of you have played it, because I've seen it referenced. Payday 2 is one of my most regretted purchases ever.

There are all sorts of problems with it, but what really made me hate it was the mission select. You were given a selection of missions, or "jobs", that were randomly selected. If the one you wanted to play wasn't there, well then #$@ you. You can reload the game and hope it comes up, play a mission you don't want to play and hope it comes up afterward, or play a different game entirely. Ultimately, we were so sick of not being able to play the game on our terms that we all resolved to never buy another Overkill game. We just don't trust them not to go out of their way to ruin our experience. In fact, it was such a poor experience that none of us trust Goldfarb's new company either.

If they make it so appealing to shut off Warframe and play something else, we will. Then it will become habit to ditch Warframe when we don't find the mission we want. Then we'll question why we'd want to start Warframe at all and just go straight to other games. Then Warframe won't even come up in discussions of what we might want to play.

Edited by (PS4)ElZilcho

Removing a lot of the cloned nodes on any given planet, such as how Phobos has 2 different spy nodes, would be a good idea.

DESteve mentioned key crafting as an option for more matured players, which would mean at a certain point players are able to decide on which mission type they'll be able to play.

However, making newbies play random missions because they're not well-established in the game can have some bad consequences.  Personally, I wouldn't have stuck around for as long as I have without there having been survival missions I could choose to play over and over again.  If I was randomly given a defense mission to play with 3 pugs, you could guarantee I'd have left at wave 5 every time, regardless if the other 3 wanted to stay.  I might even just leave prematurely and keep clicking on the node till it gives me the mission I want.

Immersion is important, and making every nodes have some sort of value is a good move.  However, keeping newbies from being able to play the sorts of missions they would enjoy is a bad move that I think would keep players out of the game.

I'd like to relate this to another game: Payday 2. I'm sure some of you have played it, because I've seen it referenced. Payday 2 is one of my most regretted purchases ever.

There are all sorts of problems with it, but what really made me hate it was the mission select. You were given a selection of missions, or "jobs", that were randomly selected. If the one you wanted to play wasn't there, well then #$@ you. You can reload the game and hope it comes up, play a mission you don't want to play and hope it comes up afterward, or play a different game entirely..

Maybe the feature wasnt there when you weae playing, but nowdays you can 'buy' missions from contract broker or something. It will cost offshore account money, but its much less than the offshore account money you get when you succeed.

Edit: As for the topic I'm withholding judgement for it right now(need more details)

But 20...I was hoping thered be enough nodes to at least accomodate every mission type each for grineer/corpus/infested

Edited by Post_Scriptum

Could some give me the memo wich says removal of player's choice/freedom is IMPROVEMENT? 

Seriously how is that good?

I do agree with DE that starchart needs to be cutted down, but why it couldnt be just cutted down like each planet/moon has 1 node per mission type/type variant? Srly, why it could be just like this: 1assassination 1exe/crossfire 1spy/sabotage/capture 1survival/escalation 1defence/mobile defence 1hijack/hive/rescue. That would be 6 missions per planet/moon plus some archwing missions in some planets/moons. It would still cut over 190 mission nodes.

The current system is nice, but broken beyond belief. It needs changed and DE's proposed change will have great longterm effect on the game. Whether or not it sucks now it obvious to see that it will be good for the game in the long term.

Limiting nodes means the playerbase will be more together, they will have to change drops but I highly doubt they would limit when you can farm drops, and I think it's quite obvious to see this isn't close to be finished yet. 

So the DE is basically saying by the remove player choice is that you can't play Uranus defense whenever you want but Mars defense may be open. This would mean to get Neuroids you have to play the extermination mission when its on Earth. You can't just farm Defense forever.

Or this could mean that resources are going to be tied to mission type, or better yet. ENEMIES, if done right if resources where tied to enemies instead of planets then it would be a extremely good change.

Kinda like how Oxium is now where its a high chance to drop it's limited on enemy spawns instead.

Edit: Also this is not technically limiting player choice if all mission types are open at all times. It will depend on how resources work. You aren't limited to not play defense/survival if it's open on another planet you just have to play that planet. That's not a huge difference and believe it or not games need rules.

Edited by Feallike

Or you get to keep the extra mastery it gave you.

It won't be extra. They said that whatever they change it to will be the same amount of mastery as it is now and if you already completed it all you won't get new mastery.