Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Some News On Rust...

TheErebus.

https://archive.is/iOpMa

Yeah, I just learnt about this from my twitter feed, and the actual topic is quite old (the topic being discussed happened in March of this year) but basically what happened was:

In one of the updates of the game Rust, every player was assigned a race for their character based on their steamid. The developer Gary Newman stated that he did this because "In real life, you cannot change your face or your skin color". Obviously this led to hate towards the devs, but what's interesting is that before the update, everyone was white. There was no option whatsoever to change it to anything.

But the ones against this change have stated that their freedom of choice is being removed (golly gee that word is quite fresh in my mind still) by forcing the race onto the players.

What do you guys think of this?
You think Rust should change this (if they already haven't) or do you think they should stay the course?

I think his justification is, frankly, BS. That may be the case in real life, but this is a videogame. However, given the situation, this is literally no different than the way it was before. He basically just arbitrarily assigned a race to everyone, which is functionally the same as everyone being white. Nothing was really added or removed, so the players' outrage is BS as well.

In short, I really don't care. If I played the game at all, I still wouldn't care.

So they had no choice to go anything other than white originally, no one was up in arms. Now they have no choice but to potentially be better represented, they're up in arms.
God, people are just so ready to complain about anything.

I mean sure, choice is better, but so is diversity better than a forced one slate.

I think his justification is, frankly, BS. That may be the case in real life, but this is a videogame. 

Also I believe it is possible to change your skin color in real life, but it's not like a black to white/black to white scenario. 

Both before and after are equally boring race-wank bait. Randomize at character generation? Fine. Full customizability? Fine. But the reasoning stated is, frankly, a load of crap. Forced diversity isn't diversity, it's tokenism.

As someone who is not "white": I don't feel any better about this. "Person of color" is already a condescending repackage of "white people and everyone else" to begin with. The final product is no more interesting to me than the original - "one skin tone for everyone" is dull and looks cheap, but "let's lock players into one" isn't even an organic progression of diversity. The OH NO RACISM screenshots are blatantly cherry-picked for shock value, the way they basically always are.

When I play games, I choose different skin tones for aesthetic reasons. Maybe I want to have as close to no pigmentation as possible on this one character. Or on the next, it might be the closest to pure black instead. Other times I might like a nice warm brown. Sometimes I'll play as a male, others as a female - largely depending on the available wardrobe (which has more options, is this too awkwardly sexualized, etc...). Why should that change because someone wanted to force a political statement?

If I play as Gordon Freeman, Tommy Vercetti or Sam Stone, their looks are characteristic to them. If I play as something loosely defined like Skyrim's Dragonborn, not letting the player choose is a terrible idea. Defining a character's looks by semi-RNG is even more annoying.

It won't help the game in any way and forcing his way through with this will only hurt it.