Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So About Windows 10...?

sweak

It was an in-place upgrade from an installed Windows 7 64-bit using the wizard.

Haven't tried since then, at least one build came out in the Slow Ring after that, I will try again.

Really? wow.

They'll definitely need to sort that out before July.

To include Win7 users but not be BIOS compatible is pretty much a death sentence on day one.

The goal of W10 is to get everybody on the same platform to make it more appealing to developers. I see no reason why it wouldn't be compatible at launch.

My understanding of windows 10 is that it is more of an incremental update to 8.1 doing away with most of the things that people do not like about windows 8 and re-incorporating features from 7 that people loved. That being said DirectX 12 will only be available in Win10 also I can tell you from personal experience that Warframe plays just fine on Windows 10 builds.

After it is released to the masses give it a few months for the kinks to be ironed out if it then jump in feet first and do not look back. you will not regret it.

Windows 10 is really good for Microsoft.

Performance-wise, it's going to be a potato-maker for a while.

"Charms" have been "charmingly" put in the start button.  Ads, ads, ads.

Plus, there's that nagging feeling of planned obsolescence for previous iterations of Windows.

People who are Microsoft certified rave about it.

People who are aren't mostly go "meh".

To wait seems like the wiser course of action for now.

Like most OS software. Some embrace change some don't. Specially slight change like whats between 7,8,10 and you just spend a month setting it up just how you like it. Though some wont leave XP because of that one pirated CAD program they grabbed 10 years ago.

Its a meh choice. Unless you have the hardware to make DirectX 12+ useful. As some of you still use 10.

Edited by Firetempest

I heard it was going to be a Freeware...

No, it's an one year limited free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users. It will still have have a price tag on it, for other users.

Edited by JRMC

No, it's an one year limited free upgrade for Windows 7/8.1 users. After that, it's going to have a price tag on it.

So, if I wait 4 months after its release (enough time to give patches) I can upgrade for free then? Any date for full release yet?

I would wait if I was you. You know Microsoft.

Breaking News: Steve Ballmer is not at the helm anymore, and much of the cruft/crappyness which was part of Microsoft's business model is going away. 

Being a behemoth of a company those changes take time, but are already happening. 

Just the fact that they are doing an OPEN BETA speaks wonders about its new policy. They still have ways to go, but  they are already moving a a different stride, and taking community feedback much more seriously. 

I am using  Windows 10 and I can say it's been a mostly solid experience, with minor hiccups along the way. For play and work, and I feel it as an improvement over both Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

So, if I wait 4 months after its release (enough time to give patches) I can upgrade for free then? Any date for full release yet?

You can subscribe to receive a notification when your upgrade is ready, if you have the prompt. - And from what I read, the release date is set to the 29th of July.

I saw the icon on my task bar and signed up immediately. I'm running on a core2quad cpu running at stock 2.66 (motherboard can't OC) so I need to get my hands on dx12 as soon as possible. If this alleviates the bottlenecking of my 750ti, I will be golden for another year, and if it is so stupidly good, then I might even upgrade to a 970/280x and be set for the next three years. 

My quad core does everything I need but the exception is when it comes to gaming. Once things get hectic and there's plenty going on screen, my frames dip below twenty. Not cool, hence why I'm putting my hopes on Dx12.

I saw the icon on my task bar and signed up immediately. I'm running on a core2quad cpu running at stock 2.66 (motherboard can't OC) so I need to get my hands on dx12 as soon as possible. If this alleviates the bottlenecking of my 750ti, I will be golden for another year, and if it is so stupidly good, then I might even upgrade to a 970/280x and be set for the next three years. 

My quad core does everything I need but the exception is when it comes to gaming. Once things get hectic and there's plenty going on screen, my frames dip below twenty. Not cool, hence why I'm putting my hopes on Dx12.

If you are determined to stick to your old C2Q 775 motherboard, I would suggest that you do some research on possibly doing a little Frankenstein work and turning it into a beast! http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/mod-lga775-support-for-lga771-xeon-cpus

For about $60 you can turn it into a real gaming machine :P

Xeon $50

Converter $10

Result? Priceless

If you are determined to stick to your old C2Q 775 motherboard, I would suggest that you do some research on possibly doing a little Frankenstein work and turning it into a beast! http://www.overclock.net/t/1431723/mod-lga775-support-for-lga771-xeon-cpus

For about $60 you can turn it into a real gaming machine :P

Xeon $50

Converter $10

Result? Priceless

It's an OEM HP desktop so the problem is not the cpu itself. the 9450 itself it's actually not bad once fully overclocked but the thing is the motherboard does not allow it. So no, I do not plan to upgrade into the same old standard. 

I'm also waiting on DX12 as my next build will be tailored for VR and I will see which cpu will be best along with which gpu can handle it. So while I would very much like to get the current i5, if dx12 allows other, cheaper cpus to perform as well for gaming, then I will go with those. Also, the other reason I will not stick with this platform is because it's still on DDR2 and I do not to buy another 4gigs of that.

I, as a Windows 7 user, just got prompted to reserve my free download for Windows 10, when it comes out  SoonTM . Apparently, the update will incorporate the best parts of Windows 7 and 8, and drop the parts that people didn't like. My Question is, is Warframe one of the good parts from 7 and 8? How long will it take for DE to make a build viable for 10, because if I don't get my daily space Rambo fix, I might just lose it.

Sry how is this in anyway relevant to GD ? honestly go to dam off-topic!

I used the windows 10 early look. And it is to windows 8 as 7 was to vista. As far as I could tell everything that ran well on 8, will run well on 10. But let's not kid ourselves and think that a new operating system will increase gaming performance one bit (outside dx12 of course). It's worth the upgrade, I wouldn't hesitate on it.

Edited by DrMarlboro

Well... I use 8 and I reserved my V10, too... I didn't consider Warframe as a possible problem until this post.

You have no reason to worry. Warframe runs smooth as butter on Win 10.

Sry how is this in anyway relevant to GD ? honestly go to dam off-topic!

I'd say it's rather relevant actually. It's about whether or not Warframe works on Win10.

By the rule of Microsoft, Windows 10 should be good one. Tho, i would personally wait till i see what are user experiences before buying it.

If Microsoft would have followed the "trend" it would have been Windows 9 instead of 10. Most of the time, the "even" OS tend to either be major changes or cause a headache (Vista, 8, etc.) while the "odd" OS seem the most liked and used (XP, 7, etc.)

The fact that they are releasing this early and that they stated somewhere that this would be the final OS that Microsoft will release (only having "service packs") does not really sit well with me. I was able to look at an early beta edition of it (I know it is a beta, but still) and it felt like they took Win 8 and just rotated the start menu vertical without much of a change.

I'd say it's rather relevant actually. It's about whether or not Warframe works on Win10.

are you serious ?

so they have pushed to xbox and PS yet you somehow think the game wont work on windows 10 and it wont get any support ?

giving that window 10 has the best elements of windows 7 and the best efficiency of windows 8.1 offered but slightly better! you think that the game wont work on W10!

its obviously going to work... its much much older games you should worrying about might not working on windows 10.. thats if compatibility mode does not work with the OS

If Microsoft would have followed the "trend" it would have been Windows 9 instead of 10. Most of the time, the "even" OS tend to either be major changes or cause a headache (Vista, 8, etc.) while the "odd" OS seem the most liked and used (XP, 7, etc.)

The fact that they are releasing this early and that they stated somewhere that this would be the final OS that Microsoft will release (only having "service packs") does not really sit well with me. I was able to look at an early beta edition of it (I know it is a beta, but still) and it felt like they took Win 8 and just rotated the start menu vertical without much of a change.

If you do some looking, it was leaked that it will become just plain "windows" after a couple service packs, and the rumor is that there are several payment methods that are being discussed once that change is implemented.

And the gui is a mesh of win 8.1 & 7. It's not too different from windows 7, but 7 users will have some things to get used to.

It's the most stable, reliable operating system I've had the leisure of installing on my system as of yet. I'm a Windows Insider (Been one since Oct. 2014).

Warframe runs better than ever on my machine. So I recommend it 100%.