The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Slow Down Making New Warframes And Let Us Go Farther With Our Current Ones

jjpdn

I've got some vague, basic knowledge.

Really though, new frames cannot be that hard to program. They're all essentially the same. And I have no idea why balance stuff takes so long, that's literally changing variables in a spreadsheet.

I thought that too.

Until i became a programmer.

I can't say what I spend my hours and hours on, because I don't know either. But I know i did stuff and gave my 100%.

Also, did you know animations and such things actually need programmers too?

And to the spreadsheet part: I think they're making decisions. For example, it seems like the reason why they're not buffing daggers was because they were making a mod that made it stealth instant kill.

And for the weapons thing, i think it's because they are making "begineer weapons" and maybe making a tier thing?

Because DE's people too, not idiots. If they could easily change something and make their player base instantly happier, and get more money, why wuldn't they?

I've got some vague, basic knowledge.

Really though, new frames cannot be that hard to program. They're all essentially the same. And I have no idea why balance stuff takes so long, that's literally changing variables in a spreadsheet.

Most of the work will be coding hitboxes on model, with chroma thats 3 models to code.

Movement is basically same for every frame and its scalable.

Targeting ai for ult is borrowed from enemies or at least it seems like it

Aura effect is modified warcry.

Vex armor needed new algorithm for boost calculations.

And dragon shout space magic flamethrower would need some work.

I think thats it, might have missed something.

Most of the work will be coding hitboxes on model, with chroma thats 3 models to code.

Movement is basically same for every frame and its scalable.

Targeting ai for ult is borrowed from enemies or at least it seems like it

Aura effect is modified warcry.

Vex armor needed new algorithm for boost calculations.

And dragon shout space magic flamethrower would need some work.

I think thats it, might have missed something.

Yeah all that.

and...

Animations?

Clipping? You'll have to figure out where to position things so that they won't hit stuff.

Also, they'll have to figure out how to calculate all those the fastest way possible, especially with the terrible FPS that the Tentacle Swarm creates.

If TS can create such lag on a computer that runs at a speed of around half the speed of light... 'magine the code.

Yeah all that.

and...

Animations?

Clipping? You'll have to figure out where to position things so that they won't hit stuff.

Also, they'll have to figure out how to calculate all those the fastest way possible, especially with the terrible FPS that the Tentacle Swarm creates.

If TS can create such lag on a computer that runs at a speed of around half the speed of light... 'magine the code.

Standard movement is borrowed from other frames and scaled.

Clipping is largely ignored on models and at best fixed months later.

Code doesnt really need to be that complicated to eat up processing power.

Its not like tentacle swarm is hair physics which need to react to movement in realistic way. Its just colored tentacle which swings wildly in simple manner multiplied by number of tetnacles.

It should eat as much as it does tbh and i suspect that biggest problem is algorithm deciding where they will spawn, since thats the moment where i observe biggest fps drop and same thing happens with shadows of the dead.

Standard movement is borrowed from other frames and scaled.

Clipping is largely ignored on models and at best fixed months later.

Code doesnt really need to be that complicated to eat up processing power.

Its not like tentacle swarm is hair physics which need to react to movement in realistic way. Its just colored tentacle which swings wildly in simple manner multiplied by number of tetnacles.

It should eat as much as it does tbh and i suspect that biggest problem is algorithm deciding where they will spawn, since thats the moment where i observe biggest fps drop and same thing happens with shadows of the dead.

I guess so.

Just For loop something.

I thought that too.

Until i became a programmer.

I can't say what I spend my hours and hours on, because I don't know either. But I know i did stuff and gave my 100%.

Also, did you know animations and such things actually need programmers too?

And to the spreadsheet part: I think they're making decisions. For example, it seems like the reason why they're not buffing daggers was because they were making a mod that made it stealth instant kill.

And for the weapons thing, i think it's because they are making "begineer weapons" and maybe making a tier thing?

Because DE's people too, not idiots. If they could easily change something and make their player base instantly happier, and get more money, why wuldn't they?

Yeah, but the animations are the same across all warframes. All that stuff already exists, unless they do something radically different even the animation guys can just copy off old warframes. I wouldn't be surprised if the running animations were just copied from frame to frame, that one especially is identical no matter where you go.

As for balance, I don't buy that they're taking their time because of something like that. Even with mods and tiers and what not there's hard number balance that needs to be done, and getting those balance changes into player's hands is the best way to test them. I'm honestly not sure why they take so long to balance, though I suspect it's because Scott is busy.

Nope, not even perfect worlds work.

Have you seen some of Perfect World's games?

...are you even a programmer?

Though, I must say, compared to making a frame from scratch, no.

But just a few variables? No.

Also, the decision process probably takes much longer. Cause it takes them forever to buff number stats of bad weapons.

Erm where.

Please quote.

Datamined info showing a suit not talked about by devs and a certain pony giving a long silence as an answer and then when I mentioned the silence as a wait and see a mysterious chuckle

Yeah, but the animations are the same across all warframes. All that stuff already exists, unless they do something radically different even the animation guys can just copy off old warframes. I wouldn't be surprised if the running animations were just copied from frame to frame, that one especially is identical no matter where you go.

As for balance, I don't buy that they're taking their time because of something like that. Even with mods and tiers and what not there's hard number balance that needs to be done, and getting those balance changes into player's hands is the best way to test them. I'm honestly not sure why they take so long to balance, though I suspect it's because Scott is busy.

The ability animations.

And copying might not be as easy as you think.

Datamined info showing a suit not talked about by devs and a certain pony giving a long silence as an answer and then when I mentioned the silence as a wait and see a mysterious chuckle

Really? Coild it just be a prim though?

I agree. I would rather have the team work more on the quality.

I also agree with this statement as a lot of the content put in is like a little treat to please the sweet tooth but actually does not have that much sustenance to it and is quickly finished. If they were to add a progression system for endgame (which personally for me is sorely needed) it should be of the best quality they can make it as if it is successful it would be a great pull to keeping playing longer and not getting burned out.

• 4 weeks later...

Sigh... one of these topics again. The Creative, Animation, Design teams working on new stuff does not detract from the proper teams from working on balancing. Everyone has a role at DE. You don't hire a plumber to troubleshoot your $5000 gaming computer, if you get what I mean.

EDIT: And they are constantly working on focus, they keep running into the issue of "this idea isn't quite what we were looking for, it'd be better to use it like this instead of as focus". <--- how augments came to be.

You're completely right, but that doesen't change the fact that many older frames, which i better like btw, aren't touched in a long time and with warframe constantly developing, they really need some revisits. Maybe changing focus at DE would change that, but it's in their hands i guess

You're completely right, but that doesen't change the fact that many older frames, which i better like btw, aren't touched in a long time and with warframe constantly developing, they really need some revisits. Maybe changing focus at DE would change that, but it's in their hands i guess

Frames are being revisited left and right for some time now. Nekros got a really nice overhaul- and at the same time about Ember got a pretty decent buff (not to mention the other one she just got recently which helps even more and actually gives her skill synergy like a caster frame should have), Excalibur got a complete 2.0, Rhino's skills (other than the one that matters most sadly) have all gotten an upgrade. Frost's skills are getting a major upgrade very soon. Mag's skills are probably under the microscope as a whole since they're dealing with handling Greedy Pull atm, so she might get some changes soonish. Mesa is probably next in line since her peacemaker is such a problem. Hopefully after that we'll get saryn/valkyr changes. Anyways- I digress. The point is they really are looking at older frames now. I think it's better that they waited until they decided on and had parkour 2.0 just about ready for us so that they could give those skills reworks under the frame of mind that we'll actually be leaping around in combat and can't copter across the entire map in 1/4 second anymore.

I agree at some point they will need to put a hold on developing new Warframes for a little bit because the they need to focus on content period.

This game needs to expand because,

A) Warframe needs to be flowing with lore in the game

B) have a exploration element with quests

C) include more raids 

D) finding out the truth behind the lies

I know that DE want to move Warframe in the right direction  or do whats best for it but I would like them to slow down and deliver their next biggest content without the silly bugs so it can be their BEST to date. After U17 or by the winter I want to see Warframe go in a better direction. 

Edited by (XB1)BLK THORN