Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De, Slow Down Making New Warframes And Let Us Go Farther With Our Current Ones

jjpdn

To me all you guys are really talking about is making the achievement page meaningful.

Call it focus system or mastery system re-vamp or whatever...

Player benefits not tied to the luck of rng or the trade system.

It's a definite "nice to have" as it allows to players to have the same things but working in different ways without loss of efficacy.

We see some measure of it now with augments, auras, and stances...

There are problems inherent with those idea given the notion that those perks are typically generic as opposed to frame specific.

Mods, augments, stances, and auras have got to be almost impossible to add now unless it's a frame/weapon specific mod.

The generic/universal stuff almost always makes one or two items OP.

That's the downside of min/max-able games... There's always going to be a ceiling on what can or should be done. 

There's never a ceiling on what that min/max-er will want to see able to be done or heights they won't attempt to achieve though.

How about a simple system similar to weapon proficiency ranks in Borderlands?

Let's set a new max rank for weapons and frames to 60.

0-30 is our current system. Let's keep that and add further 30 levels that will provide small bonuses to some stats (maybe not to stuff like power strenght or efficiency, or straight up weapon damage to keep it reasonable).

So basically, minor passive buffs.

For example:

- frames - small increase in sprint speed, shield recharge rate, maybe decrease of recharge delay?

- weapons - faster reload speed and some recoil reduction.

Buffs would need to be small, but not irrelevant. This way there would be some rewards for playing with favourite equipment that wouldn't be straight powercreep.

It sounds a bit like arcane enhancements, but it would be permamant, not relaying on farming enhancements and credits, simply on leveling frames and weapons. Playing with them, basically.

I think it makes sense, though  it's just a simple idea that needs to be polished a lot.

What do you think about it?

Sigh... one of these topics again. The Creative, Animation, Design teams working on new stuff does not detract from the proper teams from working on balancing. Everyone has a role at DE. You don't hire a plumber to troubleshoot your $5000 gaming computer, if you get what I mean.

EDIT: And they are constantly working on focus, they keep running into the issue of "this idea isn't quite what we were looking for, it'd be better to use it like this instead of as focus". <--- how augments came to be.

Does art team work on frame?? ofc you need to prepare model

Animation team?? ofc you need to get animations and effects for each of abilities

Theres also tons of coding to be done with making sure each ability works.

Actually you need everyone to create frame unlike skins which are work of mostly art team and occasionally animation team while coders work on something else.

You can freely move programmers to code different things.

You can move art team to work on texture for new weapon, skin or warframe.

You can move animation guys to work on new stances or frames or enemies.

Edited by Davoodoo

I will only say this, if we would never get any new weapons, frames, whatevers, people would get really bored really fast. The only thing that keeps me playing this game is the hope that I see a new weapon or something every week, if that doesn't happen, I will likely go play something else again and wait for next week.

So yeah, DE, please keep making new weapons and frames and whatnot owo

How about a simple system similar to weapon proficiency ranks in Borderlands?

Let's set a new max rank for weapons and frames to 60.

0-30 is our current system. Let's keep that and add further 30 levels that will provide small bonuses to some stats (maybe not to stuff like power strenght or efficiency, or straight up weapon damage to keep it reasonable).

So basically, minor passive buffs.

For example:

- frames - small increase in sprint speed, shield recharge rate, maybe decrease of recharge delay?

- weapons - faster reload speed and some recoil reduction.

Buffs would need to be small, but not irrelevant. This way there would be some rewards for playing with favourite equipment that wouldn't be straight powercreep.

It sounds a bit like arcane enhancements, but it would be permamant, not relaying on farming enhancements and credits, simply on leveling frames and weapons. Playing with them, basically.

I think it makes sense, though  it's just a simple idea that needs to be polished a lot.

What do you think about it?

I would rather not. The xp system is just broken because of power farming, so i would rather do special "objectives" instead, like in the main thread.

Am i the only one who doesnt think we are getting too many new warframes too fast? Hell theyve amped up the Warframe production and we still only expect one every few months as standard. If it was a rant we are getting too many new WEAPONS in too regular an intervals i would kinda see the point more but warframes?

You can freely move programmers to code different things.

You can move art team to work on texture for new weapon, skin or warframe.

You can move animation guys to work on new stances or frames or enemies.

The amount of programming involved in making a frame can't be all that much. All the code is already there for all the other frames, if they're smart then all they'll have to do is adjust some variables. 

I personally have a few weapons and warframes i use (but i have almost all warframes and many many weapons) and would love to have a post 30 progression system that slowly could allow you to 'level' your gear somehow, this was why I want a focus like system because my extra xp would get allocated to there and not wasted cuz all the stuff I use is level 30, most people who have played as long as me are 4 or 5 mastery ranks above me but im still at a mastery rank below 10 because i don't feel the need to max every warframe or weapon cuz I already have weapons I like and they are maxed (even though i collect items that i don't level).

Edited by Legonist

They release a new none prime warframe every major update, which is every month or so, and then they have TONS of patches between each which TONS of re-balancing and fixing. DE shouldn't need to slow down with the release of new warframes just because the community can't understand game development structure like OP and the majority of those who agree with him. YES some of the warframes are in need a balancing, but GUESS WHAT! THEY ARE! If all you're seeing is DE adding new things, then obviously you're not keeping up with all of the news that's happening, Excal is getting a major rework, losing super jump, radial jav is being moved to 3rd, and a Valkyr like ult is being added. Plus adding new warframes is GOOD for older frames because then they get ideas on how to better balance the older frames trying to make the new frame work. IE toggle duration ults for Nyx and others.

The amount of programming involved in making a frame can't be all that much. All the code is already there for all the other frames, if they're smart then all they'll have to do is adjust some variables. 

Unless you start doing something that wasnt done before. look at chroma for example.

in a perfect world we could have both but DE is known for creating things and then not giving an F about it afterwards

Prove it. Im seeing a very different picture personally.

They get moaned about for NOT adding things they talked of hypothetically such as Focus system and the likes but actual added content? Theyve been retweaking frames galore from Ember to Nekros to Excal (AGAIN!!!), Modes like Spy got reworked, Dark Sectors are getting reworked, Archwing is getting looked at, Star chart is getting changed, Relays are getting new content etc

I'm glad someone raised this topic, someone in a Tenno Sweater is camped outside my flat with a rifle and I keep getting texts to build Chroma and menacing e-mails saying my parents will be killed unless I complete the Soma set (I don't even have a Soma yet, I have the akstillato but I saw a YT vid that said AK-Somati weren't that good, what do I do?).

DE is clearly going to far with this new content pushing and compelling people to create this new content is just wrong.

Seriously though, half of you have no understanding of how game development works. If i have one team working on a project, throwing more people at it doesn't mean the project gets completed earlier or better or with less bugs or whatever.

Same with any balance or new features, you can't just do these things and having multiple interfering factors doesn't always work out. i.e. Too many cooks spoil the broth

They get moaned about for NOT adding things they talked of hypothetically such as Focus system and the likes but actual added content? Theyve been retweaking frames galore from Ember to Nekros to Excal (AGAIN!!!), Modes like Spy got reworked, Dark Sectors are getting reworked, Archwing is getting looked at, Star chart is getting changed, Relays are getting new content etc

They basically changed how radial javelin works when they "reworked" exca(by changing it to work like every other aoe ult)

Ember got new effect on fireblast(copied from eximus btw, previous effects not even changed), added dot to fireball (basically setting its proc rate at 100%) and world on fire could now be shut down early(modified algorithm from sound quake and absorb)

To put it simple, ctrl+c and ctrl+v with some changes.

Edited by Davoodoo

You mentioned them already but I'd say the main one is Archwing. Created and left reasonably unattended. Also, I felt that Kubrows became forgotten about too until players started complaining a lot more. Granted, they may have been working on the stuff in the background but I can't say I felt well informed if that was taking place. Weapons also sometimes take this same path - tossed into the game and forgotten about, as part of the process of DE churning out weapons which eventually become fodder.

Edited by Naith

Unless you start doing something that wasnt done before. look at chroma for example.

But even for something like that, it's not that difficult. All the code for a the way the frame operates is already in place, and the pelt coming off is just a matter of animation.

I seriously doubt they re-write the code they need for every frame. It's all in there, it just needs to be tweaked around. The art and animation aspect is the most difficult part of making a frame.

my guess is that new frames draw people in faster than fixing something or improving it.

You can draw in as many people as you want but you also need to keep them. If someone finds a warframe they love and a good set of weapons they like to use and max those items out but still want to use them, what progression do they have? I know many many many people who played warframe, maxed out a warframe or 2 and half a dozen weapons and then stopped playing, yes they do come back after every update or 2 for a day to see if anything "super cool or fun" came out but they always say that there is no endgame progression besides forma, which at a certain point for most good weapons is not needed. I mean new stuff is nice and all but most people do burn out on grinding new stuff they most likely aren't going to use, and when they do burn out and there is little endgame progression to satisfy them, they will leave.

It's not equally shared though. 

If you want to do something quicker, just move people over from different departments.

Equally shared does not help when you add more projects in, which reduces the overall efficiency towards one.

And how is it inefficient? Don't use throwaway programming, or evolutionary prototyping. Use incremental prototyping. 

You might run into a Too Many Cooks situation then. :P

You can draw in as many people as you want but you also need to keep them. If someone finds a warframe they love and a good set of weapons they like to use and max those items out but still want to use them, what progression do they have? I know many many many people who played warframe, maxed out a warframe or 2 and half a dozen weapons and then stopped playing, yes they do come back after every update or 2 for a day to see if anything "super cool or fun" came out but they always say that there is no endgame progression besides forma, which at a certain point for most good weapons is not needed. I mean new stuff is nice and all but most people do burn out on grinding new stuff they most likely aren't going to use, and when they do burn out and there is little endgame progression to satisfy them, they will leave.

I know. It's a sad fact. And that is what happens to 80% of my friends and clan mates. The game is more sugar than protein (that make sense?) but we have no real endgame. So gimmicks is all we have going for us now. #dragonframe

in a perfect world we could have both but DE is known for creating things and then not giving an F about it afterwards

Nope, not even perfect worlds work.

Have you seen some of Perfect World's games?

...are you even a programmer?

Though, I must say, compared to making a frame from scratch, no. 

But just a few variables? No.

Also, the decision process probably takes much longer. Cause it takes them forever to buff number stats of bad weapons.

There will be one before the yin yang

And check community hot topics

Erm where.

Please quote.

Edited by jjpdn

...are you even a programmer?

Though, I must say, compared to making a frame from scratch, no. 

But just a few variables? No.

Also, the decision process probably takes much longer. Cause it takes them forever to buff number stats of bad weapons.

I've got some vague, basic knowledge.

Really though, new frames cannot be that hard to program. They're all essentially the same. And I have no idea why balance stuff takes so long, that's literally changing variables in a spreadsheet.