Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Player Avatars Is A Terrible System. Please Don't Encourage It.

Innocent_Flower

Ideally, an avatar for a player should either:

A- Be beneficial to gameplay. 

For example, a graphic that shows others what warframe you're playing and possibly the colours you're using. This'd be good for public games in which you want to know what you're playing with or 'who's more important to revive if you can only pick one' and they're both out of visual range. It's a small thing, but a very helpful one. 

B- Distinguishes a player from another. 

It currently does not do that well. There are many players with the same avatar. Really, you're just seeing players as 'starter avatar, boughtPlatforAvatar, and 'primeAccessAvatar'. You might as well let players import images or give them emblems they build ingame.  

Selling avatars has always seemed like a bizarre and arbitrary thing to do (and one of the few things that I consider to be a legitimate cashgrab on DE's part), but there's not much to be done about it.

Edited by rapt0rman

A little off topic, but still related to avatars...
I still have default Trinity avatar, which although is actually the frame I most play, isn't the specific avatar I'd like to have.

Then I think I should take a look at the new avatars they released, probably new ones incoming for Corpus. But guess what, all of them in a bundle, or none of them. No thanks.
They should let you buy them individually or at least in couples like allied syndicates, related units, etc.

I don't think they should be taken into account when looking at another player (that's what profiles and the loadout section are for). They aren't and don't need to be representative of what the player's using.

eg: I love loki with that helmet and it's what I play the most in solo, but when I join a team I never use him.

The hud should simply have the name of each player's current frame somewhere.

I fully agree with A and B of this post. I think that if there was a way to have your Avatar be your current Warframe loadout that would be awesome. 

Like a headshot from when you press 'i' to inspect, then you can rotate the head to have it look where you want then choose a background color.

I think this would be an excellent move for DE and I have no idea why this thread is so against this.

hud should simply have the name of each player's current frame somewhere.

Does not help if you have 2+ of the same frame running around.

Though it rarely matters in normal 4 player mission. When they add more Trials however. "Whos that red loki, get off the pad!?" "Whos Trinity is that again?  Cant tell, they are too far away to target."

Their avatar system is pretty bad in game. They can have whatever they bought in non-missions or forums. But in missions they really need to be more descriptive.

Players 

For example, a graphic that shows others what warframe you're playing and possibly the colours you're using. This'd be good for public games in which you want to know what you're playing with or 'who's more important to revive if you can only pick one' and they're both out of visual range. It's a small thing, but a very helpful one. 

It currently does not do that well. There are many players with the same avatar. Really, you're just seeing players as 'starter avatar, boughtPlatforAvatar, and 'primeAccessAvatar'. You might as well let players import images or give them emblems they build ingame.  

I have no objections to B.

I do however object to the fact this contest(TennoGen), is the SECOND contest to compete for $$$$$$$$$$$

that REQUIRES

A pc

downloading pc programs just to use

Being able to DRAW

I fully agree with A and B of this post. I think that if there was a way to have your Avatar be your current Warframe loadout that would be awesome. 

Like a headshot from when you press 'i' to inspect, then you can rotate the head to have it look where you want then choose a background color.

I think this would be an excellent move for DE and I have no idea why this thread is so against this.

The headshot idea would make sense for quick ID and player attachment to their avatar.

I think avatars stayed the way they are because it's simpler to implement. To have snapshots they'd need to decide how the files are taken and shared between users. It's a little easier when using dedicated servers cause the server handles all that crap.

Look at how Clan Images were implemented for comparison. You submit a picture and it's basically uploaded in the next patch.

Edited by CrimsonNightSky

A) If you want to see who's using what, press ESC while in a team.  You'll get a lineup of all team members and their stats.  As for whom to revive, you can turn on player names in your settings, you'll be able to see the name no matter where you are.  

B) We only have three other teammates to deal with, how hard is it to keep track of who's who?

Even pressing esc is inconvenient. You might be spawned in a situation where you can't. and having two downed people in two different rooms, and wondering who's it's best to revive? you need to make an instant decision and you can't rely on memory or ESC for that. 

Very. Nah seriously, Buying avatars is... Sad.  

It's often much easier to pick a person on your friends list through unique picture rather than having to actually read. 

Remember: reading is the enemy. 

Game isn't rated a 12 y'know. You cut people in half by the dozen.

what? Doesn't matter the age. DE doesn't want boobs and $&*^s as avatars. Regardless of how many people do it DE would have to have an employee monitor all avatars meet their standards.

They should had the avatar to represent the frame that you are using. Buuut it is already impossible to to that since a lot of people spent plat and real money for PA's avatars.

I mean it is faster to type in warframe's name in pug rather that xXx360mLgN0Sc0p3gh0stN1nj4xXx, and having corresponding images would help out to distinguish them.

Selling avatars has always seemed like a bizarre and arbitrary thing to do (and one of the few things that I consider to be a legitimate cashgrab on DE's part), but there's not much to be done about it.

Well, aside from choosing not to buy them.

They're there for those who want them, they're utterly unnecessary for those who don't.

This is what we call a "win-win".

A) If you want to see who's using what, press ESC while in a team. You'll get a lineup of all team members and their stats. As for whom to revive, you can turn on player names in your settings, you'll be able to see the name no matter where you are.

B) We only have three other teammates to deal with, how hard is it to keep track of who's who?

where is the floating name setting? I've looked for one multiple times and found nothing...

where is the floating name setting? I've looked for one multiple times and found nothing...

I think it's under UI and just says show player name or something. I can get a screenshot tomorrow, I'm out of town right now.

While everyone here has some good points... And some bad ones...

I honestly would just be happy with all normal warframe avatars (No helmet or prime variants) being available by default. Or at the very least, can we have more then 4 avatars to choose from?

If not, then why not let us unlock individual frame avatars by maxing their rank at least once?

Just my 2 cents...