Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stand-Alone Single Player Warframe?

SFkenny

I've been following this game for a while now. Love the art style, love the music. The action and gunplay are lots of fun when they aren't being mercilessly tweaked constantly. The Dojo update coming soon looks great too.

But when I see huge amounts of players making bazillions of threads about nerf this and DE is evil that, I get disillusioned. It's depressing how the players and the developers get locked in a nerf complain nerf cycle. Very few people use a mic in this game, making any kind of strategizing for Defense missions difficult.

Honestly, I wish we had the single player, story driven, stealth-action version of Warframe that's more like the old Dark Sector concepts. Most times when I jump into an MP server, no one seems to bother working together, so what exactly was the point of taking a fantastic looking space ninja universe and making it co-op? It just kinda ruins the feel of it for me. There's not as much time to appreciate the art style if I have to run after some jerk who's rush farming.

I'm not trying to say "Oh God, this game is horrible single player focus plz." What's here can be good with some more tweaks. But eventually I would like to see a single player story for Warframe, or perhaps a separate retail game that could connect to Warframe's servers and carry over your XP/gear between games. Plus, that way, single player gamers can get their own game and spend money in a more traditional way, rather than be forced to spend on the hotly debated Platinum based micro-transactions.

Perhaps the SP component would also allow you to try all the guns in the game for free via credit unlock. That way everyone can figure out what weapons they want to use without having to fill their inventory with weapons that they don't like, or weapons that have been hit too hard with the nerf bat. Plus, a single player story could really help flesh out the backstory, and perhaps shed some light on who exactly Lotus is, and why we do what we do in the MP component. Like, play as the first Tenno out of cryostasis on a quest to track down a large storage facility of frozen Tenno and liberate it from the Grineer or Corpus. Lots of the same art and assets developed for the current WF could also be used, but in a more traditionally hand-designed single player. I like the random map stuff for MP but it would be tough to carry a narrative with random seed maps.

It'll also help in prototyping stealth mechanics to port back over to MP. If it's all on the same engine tech and using a lot of the same mechanics, it could be advantageous to have Warframe basically be a standalone multiplayer component that connects to the SP mode. A short, six hour campaign that connects to the main game and is released via digital download could be a welcome bonus for spending money on platinum.

Edited by SFkenny

ive been here since around a week after CBT started on warframe and il tell you this it was so much quiter and much more ideas and suggetions , now it was only when BIG youtubers started to do reviews on and warframe that more and more starting to search for keys and get in the game , thats when all the PvP kids and moaning kids joined they complained how there is no PvP when the most of majority DID NOT WANT IT , and yet here we are slightly pushing into PvP with the dojo update...

as for the kids well they complain at anything even if it is a PvE game they still complain on how the gun fires slow how this gun is OP and how this gun is god ETC ETC ETC

main point just look past the threads and look for inspiring threads that offer suggestions and great ideas and discuss it with , share it , imporve upon the idea with them , then the good old community may come back

I gotta say, if this is what awaits the Takedown forums when the game releases, I'm gonna have to get some kind of cyberbrain to stop my capillaries from exploding from the stupidity of some end-users.

But putting that aside, what do you think of having a dedicated SP campaign?

ive been here since around a week after CBT started on warframe and il tell you this it was so much quiter and much more ideas and suggetions , now it was only when BIG youtubers started to do reviews on and warframe that more and more starting to search for keys and get in the game , thats when all the PvP kids and moaning kids joined they complained how there is no PvP when the most of majority DID NOT WANT IT , and yet here we are slightly pushing into PvP with the dojo update...

as for the kids well they complain at anything even if it is a PvE game they still complain on how the gun fires slow how this gun is OP and how this gun is god ETC ETC ETC

main point just look past the threads and look for inspiring threads that offer suggestions and great ideas and discuss it with , share it , imporve upon the idea with them , then the good old community may come back

This.

Okay, we get it, PvP is unpopular. I didn't even mention PvP in the OP. I'm trying to ask about dedicated single player modes. Probably should have put that in the thread title, come to think of it. Silly me.

Could a mod change the thread title to "Stand-alone Single Player Warframe?" Thanks!

Edited by SFkenny

Could a mod change the thread title to "Stand-alone Single Player Warframe?" Thanks!

I believe that you can change the name yourself, I am unsure as I have not made a thread yet, but it seems other people have.

I would like to add that more work on Solo play would be nice, but do not believe it is really necissary. All that is needed is difficulty scaling - the more people in your group the higher level enemies and or more enemies. Maybe decrease difficulty for solo play, but for much of the game it is not needed. Implementing a storyline can be done as easily in co-op as it can in solo, you just modify the exposition to differentiate between a group and a single person doing things.

I do not see a strong solo-player storyline ever implemented because the devs have said, often, that they want to focus on making this game be a co-op game. If their objective is a co-op game, spending a lot of time on the solo game would be counter-intuitive.

Edited by liavalenth

I do not see a strong solo-player storyline ever implemented because the devs have said, often, that they want to focus on making this game be a co-op game. If their objective is a co-op game, spending a lot of time on the solo game would be counter-intuitive.

This.

I would however love to see a single player version. It would be unreal all over again. Damn I loved unreal. :)

I have a similar view. I love this game. Like....a lot. Its not often I somehow sink 90 hours into a game over the course of two weeks.

My biggest turn offs are the crafting times and the......"scaling" of difficulty when it comes to single player.

Now, I started with the Loki frame, because I figured EVERYONE and their mother would choose Excalibur because "l33t sp4c3 n1nj4", and Mag didn't appeal to me. Little did I know that there was such a HUGE difference in the statistics of the different frames. I got through to about....I'll say....fighting Vay Hek until I realized I could not keep doing this. As squishy as Loki is, I realized I needed to change things up to continue solo. And don't get me wrong, I played occasional MP missions on bosses just to get the craft mats, its just that I fly solo most of the time. I then found some Rhino parts and began squashing my way through most of the planets. 

I still find that even with Rhino's beef I can't get as much out of the game as I'd like, and even then I don't exactly like being "forced" into using the Rhino frame. I can't get past level 5 (and successfully make it to 10) on defense missions. I can't solo certain bosses (and now even some I could earlier might be tricky with the latest Rhino nerf). I actually have yet to unlock all the planets and all the nodes. I spend most of my time leveling weapons and the odd frame on basic Mercury exterminations, instead of actually getting through everything, because of the difficulty. And don't get me wrong, I like the challenge. Fighting the Jackal the first few times was exhilarating. But when it gets to the point where there is just no way you can solo a mission, even with the King of damage sponging as your armor, I feel rather disappointed.

Sorry 'bout the rant. :\

I just hope there's scaling eventually for the size of the party (or lack thereof). And obviously, if there is, I'd like it optimized for solo.

Loki is extremely mod dependent, which is why you probably couldn't do very well with it. Like the description said, it's intended for "advanced" players.

Which is kinda silly. What kind of advanced player starts a new account? I think loki should probably be replaced with another warframe as one of the starting 3, it relies too much on things a new player doesn't have knowledge of (rare mods, stealth/lockdown mechanics etc.).

My starting frame was Loki when I signed up for new and I #%#$%#$@%$ love the thing. Cloaking device, switch teleport and the ever-useful Decoy really make solo runs fun. I like seeing how far in I can get with Loki and my Shade sentinel ghost without causing an alarm.

hey, thats actually a good idea...

DE can create it's own deus ex. it's possible and will require just a tiny additional effort in AI andwaypoints.

regarding frames: you will have one warframe and you will be able to customize it by unlocking abilities like invisibility, shields etc and all of this will be reflected on your appearence. for example if you upgrade more sealth, you will have these horns growing. at max level they are full size.

if you upgrade strenght you are getting slower and look fat like rhino, but you are able to wield heavier weapons (basic can wield only daggers and swords)

but you cannot upgrade everything to the max and you should pick it carefully, so you would not look like rhino-loki-excal-$&*^-boobs mess.

just remember space siege and how different mods affected your appeareance and abilities.

it will also add up some replayability since you can try different styles. you can go all stealthy and upgrade noise reduction, enemy sense, invisibility

or go all the way on heavy road and run&gun&smash everything.

Edited by n7snk

The problem this game has with co-op atm the moment is that there are no penalties if people run off or lag behind, and we don't have any other 'real' way to communicate in-game apart from using a mic, which as you said no one uses.

L4D have done this very well. You have the choker, charger, hunter and tank, which force people to work and stick together. If you run off there is a high chance of getting incapacitated, and you are screwed if your way ahead or behind your team mates. Warframe did apparantly have the Nervos, which has been taken out of the game for the time being, which did this. 

It would be nice if there was a way of sending quick messages in game, such as Help, Defend Here, etc via  radial menu/hot keys. Typing in chat takes way to long in the heat of battle, and no one uses the mic. Of course we could join a clan that uses mumble/ts but not everyone wants to do that.

I agree with the fact that there's little co-op in the game at the moment.

Two reasons : hard to coordinate ourselves without proper vocal chat and each warframe can be played in such a manner that you can solo almost everything. So, to sum it up : we don't need coop and we don't have the right tools to coop.

I don't want a nerf of warframes, I want a buff of enemies and mechanics that puts incentive to co-op. the shield for instance is a good idea : one teammate is the bait, the other flank him. ther should be more of them in enemy squads

Or add a bonus to flank damage (or just the rear) for player and enemies.

EDIT: and yes, I would love a single player campaign. I would love to get modding tool to let players create such content.

Edited by vieuxchat

Why not just keep MP and also introduce an offline SP campaign that doesnt need the net for the players(like me) with low net speeds? I believe that would significantly improve the game experience!

You can just play solo for this effect. The game isn't particularly difficult, so it might even present an interesting challenge.

You can just play solo for this effect. The game isn't particularly difficult, so it might even present an interesting challenge.

well.. to be honest, i find it really hard to kill captain vor in tight spaces 1v1 melee only, just for the sake of avoiding alarm, or may be DE need to add stealth kill mechanics on human size bosses and everything will be rather smooth

well.. to be honest, i find it really hard to kill captain vor in tight spaces 1v1 melee only, just for the sake of avoiding alarm, or may be DE need to add stealth kill mechanics on human size bosses and everything will be rather smooth

Stop using melee then. Vor is a boss you can literally run circles around.

Also, crouch to dodge.

what do you mean exacly? i was trying to kill him crouched before and it didn't work out.

is there a way to get rid of him without going loud or killing all the enemies around? (i can probably kill all the enemies around but it adds way more risc since vor follow you even if you are undetected.