Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So How About That Hololens

Sixty5

I won't lie, up until now, I've been pretty sceptical about Microsoft's Hololens.

The thing looked to me as if it were a gimmicky knock off of full VR headsets like the Rift, but after looking at some of the E3 announcements and such, I must say I am impressed

If they deliver what is shown here, the Hololens could be the next big leap in visual technology.

Augmented reality has huge potential for both business and gaming applications.

I'm still a little hesitant to preorder one, but it definitely looks better than I thought it would.

A friend of mine (LordOfScrigging is his username) thought of a way to use it in warframe: have the game on your monitor, and a map of the mission on a table to your side. Could let you know where and when enemies will come from on defense missions and what to expect in the procedurally generated maps.

A friend of mine (LordOfScrigging is his username) thought of a way to use it in warframe: have the game on your monitor, and a map of the mission on a table to your side. Could let you know where and when enemies will come from on defense missions and what to expect in the procedurally generated maps.

The use I see for it is replacing the screen with a hologram version.

I'd be able to stick all my different displays to different walls and such.

Or hook up a controller, stream from my pc and play anywhere in the house.

I just don't get how it can project a hologram onto a table or wall, then if you move your head... It stays there...

It doesn't

The Hololens projects images onto a layer of glass/plastic/whatever like a heads up display.

It then tracks surfaces in a similar manner to kinect to lock the projected image in place.

Only the wearer can see them.