Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Speed In Parkour 2.0

PapaFragolino

It's starting to get really upsetting to keep reading comments like this. Barely has coptering been mentioned in regards to feedback against the latest demo of parkour 2.0, yet I don't get why some people (that are apparently so butthurt about it they can't stop mentioning it everywhere) keep trying to shift the blame towards it, when the comparisons made are exclusively between the two parkour systems.

Dude. We can talk about comparing the two Parkour systems directly, but come on. The OP talks about coptering, and coptering is a part of the discussion on both sides in every single page of this thread.

Dude. We can talk about comparing the two Parkour systems directly, but come on. The OP talks about coptering, and coptering is a part of the discussion on both sides in every single page of this thread.

Coptering is mentioned on ocasions, I won't hide that fact. Still most instances I've seen it is barely mentioned yet I've seen a lot of comments defending the latest demo in regards to those instances that try to shift the conversation or the blame on coptering for no reason, it's just getting tiresome to keep seeing that (and I needed to get that out of my chest).

It's starting to get really upsetting to keep reading comments like this. Barely has coptering been mentioned in regards to feedback against the latest demo of parkour 2.0, yet I don't get why some people (that are apparently so butthurt about it they can't stop mentioning it everywhere) keep trying to shift the blame towards it, when the comparisons made are exclusively between the two parkour systems.

Sorry if I offended you in anyway but the op and comments talk about coptering so I decided to put my opinion in.

Sorry if I offended you in anyway but the op and comments talk about coptering so I decided to put my opinion in.

Yeah it may have gone along more like a rant that intended it to be, I will apologize for that. With that being said, from my perspective coptering really has nothing to do with my dislike of the latest system demo, the current parkour (while having clunky transitions and controls) is a lot faster and gives a better sense of agility than what we were shown.

------

On a different note I keep hearing of this gain of speed by wall jumping, it's not a good idea either, it'd be awful having to slow down only to then slowly gain speed, I feel it'd break the flow of a mission.

Comparing the two parkour systems directly, honestly I think parkour 2.0 comes out way, way on top. Rebecca—bless her heart—barely knew what she was doing, and she still managed to pull off some impressive stuff such as crossing an entire Void map tile without touching the floor. Is it clunky? Absolutely. It's not just a work in progress, it's a work that's still under experimentation to find out what works. 

I don't find wallrunning that useful to begin with, frankly. There are a few spots where it's useful, but for the most part those spots are specifically designed for wallrunning—big, long walls free of obstructions. With parkour 2.0, it looks like you can parkour off just about any surface. That is infinitely better than the current system.

Not to mention, so far as I'm aware they haven't actually concretely said that regular wallrunning is going away. They might decide that bunnyhopping along a wall designed for wallrunning isn't necessary. They've been pretty up front about having trouble envisioning exactly how the bunnyhopping will work in place of wallrunning.

And even if we bring coptering into it—honestly, with what Rebecca was able to do while still learning the system, I kind of expect parkour 2.0 to blow coptering out of the water. It won't be straightforward like coptering is; instead of just pointing in a direction and hitting two buttons, you'll have to ricochet in the direction you want to go. In the really big, open areas, such as on Earth or in some of the outside areas of Europa, you'll be slower because you won't have as many surfaces to bounce off of. But everywhere else? I think you're going to be unbelievably fast once you get the hang of it.

You know what I think the biggest problem with parkour 2.0 is going to be? Ceiling camping. People are going to find all kinds of high-&#! ledges where they can sit and put up a snowglobe or an electric shield, and mobs simply won't be able to get close enough to do anything.

Edited by motorfirebox

It won't be straightforward like coptering is; instead of just pointing in a direction and hitting two buttons, you'll have to ricochet in the direction you want to go.

Again, I am not including coptering in this conversation, however I will highlight this part.

You can sort of already do that by launching yourself off a wall, a feature that was not present in the demo (not necesarily Reb's but also on the 'extra' one they posted), nor did it seem possible yet they kept talking about on previous streams how you can launch yourself off several surfaces.

Even the clip off-stream they uploaded still does not convince me mind you, I am not arguing against the higher degree of control which is wonderful, but everything else feels very lacking and a downgrade from earlier previews and promises.

What I'm talking about is the movement system in general and while coptering is a (small) part of the discussion, it isn't the main point of it. As I said before, like many others, I agree that the turbo-jet coptering we have now is going away but I also think that we need an alternative way to go faster... without looking like rabbits in heat, endlessly hopping around in search for a partner.

I think slides feel more natural and fitting, why not use those instead of jumps?

Edit: Don't put alive rabbits on your stove

Edited by PapaFragolino

To be honest, it's really not as slow as you all are making it out to be. Sure, we could use an overall speed boost, but I was an advocate for faster sprinting even before coptering was on the chopping block. 

This is the video I discussed but didn't show regarding WIP Parkour 2.0 in other tilesets.

In the video provided by Reb here, you can see that she covered a considerable distance with Parkour 2.0 that could only be reached previously through coptering. She's moving just as fast if not faster than sprinting & covering distance that you can't reach without the exploit known as le copter. 

But I want to reiterate that I would still like a boost in overall speed, but what was shown to us really isn't that bad & is being overexaggerated by those who don't like that we can't go as fast or nearly as fast as coptering or just plain don't like change. Then they all jump on the same bandwagon & say slow slow slow slow slow, but dat copter tho, slow slow slow slow. Coptering is just so zoomy it's clouded your judgement, spoiled you, & debauched your playstyle. 

However, not liking the animations is perfectly understandable because it's subjective. Some may like the way it looks, some may not, opinions are great to have. 

without looking like rabbits on heat, endlessly hopping around in search for a partner.

Pretty sure you meant "in" heat. 

I don't think Parkour 2.0 should be as fast as coptering, but it should be consiberably fast. At most it should be able to go 3-4x the sprint speed of a Loki at top momentum.

This isn't that exploity since you have to reach top momentum but it gives you the possibility of going super fast if you put in the effort. We don't really know the max speed of Parkour 2.0 ATM I wish the DE went more into it. Until we see the top speed we won't know how fast it really is.

I hope it is slow at first to force people to go slower if they don't put time into practicing it. It will be overall healthier for the game, and possibly put new life into the stealth community IF STEALTH 2.0 EVER COMES OUT.

Edited by Feallike

I hope it is slow at first to force people to go slower if they don't put time into practicing it. It will be overall healthier for the game, and possibly put new life into the stealth community IF STEALTH 2.0 EVER COMES OUT.

That was one of my first thoughts, when Rebecca jumped up on that ledge. Now all we need is enemies with some kind of predictable AI. That noisemaker arrow mod that Rebecca showed off in her spreadsheet (Devstream 54, I think?) would be a start.

You know what I think the biggest problem with parkour 2.0 is going to be? Ceiling camping. People are going to find all kinds of high-! ledges where they can sit and put up a snowglobe or an electric shield, and mobs simply won't be able to get close enough to do anything.

this. i think there will be unforeseen issues with latching. There will be new ways to camp.

They may have to make a way for enemies to "shake down" a tenno latched unto the wall.

Comparing the two parkour systems directly, honestly I think parkour 2.0 comes out way, way on top . . . she still managed to pull off some impressive stuff such as crossing an entire Void map tile without touching the floor.

You can do that in the current system without it looking clunky as hell, and you can do it much faster. In the demo of Parkour 2.slow she couldn't even clear the width of a hallway from a wall stick.

Wall sticking would have been awesome if it was paired with coptering.

She cleared significantly more than the width of a hallway from a wall stick. She also, at one point, screwed up while trying to cross a hallway from a wall stick and didn't make it. And for the love of mike, can we please stop complaining that the animations look janky? Of course they look bad, they haven't even finished making the system that those unpolished animations are going to serve. You guys are looking at the frame of a house that's being built and complaining that you don't like the color of paint on the doors.

She cleared significantly more than the width of a hallway from a wall stick. She also, at one point, screwed up while trying to cross a hallway from a wall stick and didn't make it. And for the love of mike, can we please stop complaining that the animations look janky? Of course they look bad, they haven't even finished making the system that those unpolished animations are going to serve. You guys are looking at the frame of a house that's being built and complaining that you don't like the color of paint on the doors.

I honestly don´t buy that WIP anymore. What you´ve seen is what we will have when p2.0 comes out.

I would love to be wrong on this one though.

Make the game less grindy. smaller maps or more worthwhile in-game loot (better and more variation of resources and mods on one map).

They said something about a speed limit so no amount of new mechanics can give us what coptering offers right now. They should just change the game to make spending time on the map worthwhile (which it doesn't currently)

Edited by MemeticRepo

Make the game less grindy. smaller maps or more worthwhile in-game loot (better and more variation of resources and mods on one map).

They said something about a speed limit so no amount of new mechanics can give us what coptering offers right now. They should just change the game to make spending time on the map worthwhile (which it doesn't currently)

This.  Give us speed closer to that of coptering with mid-tier coptering weapons.  Hide lockers around the map and put ducats in them to promote exploring the map.

MORE CARROT, LESS STICK

I think the mobility is ok, the speed could stand to increase (so we can get some moving kills with that new knock over mechanic) but the animations.... not good enough yet.

Why?

I see when you climb and make it to the top at a ledge, the arms still move like your climbing the wall. I see many a glitch to come there. Also, how is bouncing off then back on to a wall more immersive? Physically, I understand that less than hooking into a wall and running along.

]\'[okuto Bunshi

Peace Out.

Yeh, the recent devstream demo seemed slow, and the jumps too short.

How about, consecutive wall jumping grants faster jumps+further distance up to a max of 75% of zoren coptering (latching does not stop this "counter")?

Might be able to reward those that find the optimal path around the map and keep using parkour 2.0?

The thing about it is there are no real Open obstacle course type levels where parkour or w/e can shine.. These levels were made for coptering XD and the occasional wallrun/Jump.. But thats just my opinion.. like the video immanks posted there is no real ninja like movement.. But i think they are going down the right path..

This.  Give us speed closer to that of coptering with mid-tier coptering weapons.  Hide lockers around the map and put ducats in them to promote exploring the map.

MORE CARROT, LESS STICK

Like what they do with the syndicates medallions?

Won't that make way levels last way to long if you've got people who just want to search for extra loot?