Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is This Dread Build The Best For Raw Damage?

Faineant

Question

18 answers to this question

add toxic if you go for health damage,

don't use sawtooth clip.. not worth it compared to element mods.. same go for hammer shot.

can use heavy caliber ,, not so bad for accuracy and very good for damge...

drop shard and add the corrupted mod of fire rate .. take like .5 sec to full power shot  

Edited by dandin3

i guess you want to have just Slash Damage, for a niche Loadout.

which in that case, maybe Heavy Caliber is worth using. as always, you'll still deal more Damage if you shoot things in the Head, which you can't do with Heavy Caliber.

Bows have innate Punch-Through, you may want to consider Speed Trigger or Vile Acceleration. consider them.

Sawtooth Clip is awfully useless... but if you want just IPS Damage... i don't know what to tell you.

similarly, Hammershot is not a fantastic choice, but if you want just IPS Damage.

you will always Kill Enemies much faster with Elementals. but niche Loadouts, yeah.

Change Shred and Sawtooth clip with Heavy Caliber and Speed Trigger.   Dread has innate punch through when fully charging the shot and you'll need a slightly faster fire rate to achive that.  Not much accuracy lost with Heavy caliber when used on short to mid range and only noticeable when trying to hit a target at long range assuming you go for headshots.

To the people here asking OP to put elemental mods, read the post carefully please. 

Uh, OP did not ask for a non-elemental build. He asked for most raw damage, which *(imo, at least) means the most amount of damage before modifiers such as enemy resistances and armor. Which would be achieved with the installation of elemental mods.

Max raw damage per shot: http://goo.gl/SMXOSB

As someone who has spent hours experimenting with Dread, I will say that Elemental builds dont make too much of a difference. Yes, once you factor in enemy resistance and weakness,the damage output is practically EQUAL to a slash damage/crit build.

Now before you start yelling at me and saying i don't know what I'm talking about the highest i was able to get an elemental damage type is 4,389 while you can easily get Slash to 3,291.

At this point elemental build seem like the way to go, until you bring in the critical chance and damage multiplier. On slash you have a 5.6x crit multiplier and the 125% crit chance, while on the status build You only have a 50% crit chance with 3.2x multiplier.

If you were to bring up the crit chance and multiplier on the elemental build, you have to sacrifice both damage and status chance. This brings the damage down to 2,633.

It's really all up to preference on this weapon, If you want to spec for factions, go ahead, it'll Kill them slightly faster with proper elemental mods. Slash damage/crit on Dread is good all around, even though those pesky armored units can take 2 shots.

Edited by Lethalios

I would get rid of shred and replace it with heavy calibur to maximize your slash damage. For the accuracy loss, if u don't try to snipe with dread you will one shot everything. All bows have punch through when fully charged so no need for shred.

In response to the original post, my response would be much like taiiat's and Darzk. 

I will say that Elemental builds dont make too much of a difference. Yes, once you factor in enemy resistance and weakness,the damage output is practically EQUAL to a slash damage/crit build.

Taking 2 shots instead of 1 is a pretty big deal in terms of endgame optimizing for many players. I can agree with just playing the game and having fun is priority #1 but this thread (and most others) are about maximizing ones lethal potential.

At this point elemental build seem like the way to go, until you bring in the critical chance and damage multiplier. On slash you have a 5.6x crit multiplier and the 125% crit chance, while on the status build You only have a 50% crit chance with 3.2x multiplier.

I'm a little confused what you're saying throughout your post.

Endgame bows are crit weapons. Point strike (rank 3 minimum -> R5 recommended for the undependable red crit chance) and vital sense (Rank5) should be on every final build ( when fully forma'ed rank 30) for Dread.  

Ignoring dmg types vs specific armor/health types for a moment and procs, a R3 PS and R5 VS increases dps by  214% ( or ~ +107% dmg each mod) for body shots and 267% for head shots. Putting that into perspective, a R10 heavy cal. is only a 62% dmg increase after using R10 Serration and also has negative side effects. -> PS and VS is huge dps gains on Dread even if you're not aiming for the head.

The calculations using R5 PS of course are even higher but red crits are not dependable so I don't consider them in this argument with 1 shot 1 kill weapons these days.

Elemental dmg scales with crit the same way it scales with impact, puncture, and slash dmg.  Pretty much all weapons reach maximum potential using some elemental dmg mods.

Edited by Quizel

As someone who has spent hours experimenting with Dread, I will say that Elemental builds dont make too much of a difference. Yes, once you factor in enemy resistance and weakness,the damage output is practically EQUAL to a slash damage/crit build.

Now before you start yelling at me and saying i don't know what I'm talking about the highest i was able to get an elemental damage type is 4,389 while you can easily get Slash to 3,291.

If you were to bring up the crit chance and multiplier on the elemental build, you have to sacrifice both damage and status chance. This brings the damage down to 2,633.

It's really all up to preference on this weapon, If you want to spec for factions, go ahead, it'll Kill them slightly faster with proper elemental mods. Slash damage/crit on Dread is good all around, even though those pesky armored units can take 2 shots.

it seems like you got it all wrong.
mod the dread like that.
2 mod of crit . 1 multishot . 2 of damage increase [serration. etc] 1 fire rate mod 2 element mod [of+90% .. dread shot down enemy with one arrow.. status its waste of time] / 1 element and one + 120% slash damage [not good as dual element mod]
you got like 10k damage difference from slash build.. [ in test viral damage]
Edited by dandin3

Max raw damage per shot: http://goo.gl/SMXOSB - 133,138.32 average damage per headshot.

Works out to the highest DpShot against armor-stripped Grineer heavies too, at 196,018.724 average damage against an armor stripped Gunner or Bombard.

Personally I would drop HCal for a +RoF mod, both to increase accuracy and decrease drawtime.

What i would do:

- serration

- split chamber

- heavy caliber

- point strike

- vital sense

- hammer shot

- vile acceleration

- fanged fusillade

Realise though that such a build is not exactly optimal - you'fd get much better results using 2 90% elemental mods instead if FF and HS.

For a niche build though it's about the max you can achieve in terms of raw damage