Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Mod: Ricochet

Magnus

Snipers suck, as everyone's clearly aware of by now. If you want to take up a sniper playstyle, you grab a bow or an Opticor for railing or explosions to hit multiple enemies. Most snipers don't even have innate punch through on top of long reloads, low damage, and low fire rate. Soma Prime does in three seconds, clear a full line of enemies up to a very high level, what Vectis Prime could take twenty or more reloads, a significantly longer time.

Now, adding innate punch through is far from enough, though it would help. The benefit of taking a bow over a sniper is railing. You don't need punch through or anything, your arrow just goes and pins one enemy to the next, one after another, until a hole slew of enemies are dead. In other words, why make snipers into what bows already are?

Ricochet is a simple mod that, alone, can make snipers a viable weapon type all the way up to end game.

- On Headshot: Bullet bounces into surrounding enemies, x% chance to continue chain on each hit

Critical shots could also increase either version's total hit count to perhaps double, and each chained hit be a critical as well since it's a critical bullet.

But it doesn't have to be for just heads, either.

Say, snipers got a buff that, if you shoot an enemy in the knee, it would cripple them. If you shot there, Ricochet would send the bullet flying between a mass of knees, crippling a whole group. In other words, this mod would expand as snipers do, much like Punch Through does.

Edited by Extraxi

Guess I'm the only one who brings a sniper to high tier missions (even defense and survival).

Can someone relate please!! ;-;

i do every once in a while. i use it on the last 10 of the 40 round run where the ammo efficiency isn't punished by the slow RoF.

Guess I'm the only one who brings a sniper to high tier missions (even defense and survival).

Can someone relate please!! ;-;

I used to do it (I Have 4 Forma Svandal and 4 Forma Vulkar), but I stopped when they added Nulifiers to the Void. It's just to inefficient to switch weapons every time to kill the buble. 

Since we are running a bit out of options on what to do with snipers, this should be a sniper's innate property. 

Each sniper would have a 'ricochet distance' - default could be 50 meters as a starting point, but be tweakable for every model. This would be traveled distance, not radial from sniper. The bullet damage would reduce by 50% on every ricochet. 

Modding should allow the player to increase ricochet distance travel, and diminish the 50% damage reduction to smaller amounts, so the bullet preserves a larger % of the original punch after ricocheting. 

Edited by -TP-BrazilianJoe

Multiple headshots from a single shot is way too powerful. Ricochet is a smart idea though. It contributes to the "three-backflip-headshot" feel WARFRAME has.

Possibly...

Ricochet:

20% of Total Damage on each bounce +1 Bounce

25% of Total Damage on each bounce +2 Bounce

30% of Total Damage on each bounce +2 Bounce

35% of Total Damage on each bounce +2 Bounce

40% of Total Damage on each bounce +3 Bounce? etc?

Idk. It would be a nice concept. Could combo with metal auger or shred for added damage in certain situations... Idk DE can tweak it to make it viable for game use.

Edited by (PS4)BY-51

Noone will use the mod. Punchtrough is amazing but only a minority of players use the mods and your idea is very similar to it.

That's quite untrue, as punch through requires your enemies to be in a line. This can clear many more enemies without having them lined up at all. In other words, it's far superior to it, and exclusive to sniper rifles in order to make them unique as well as viable.

Snipers suck, as everyone's clearly aware of by now. If you want to take up a sniper playstyle, you grab a bow or an Opticor for railing or explosions to hit multiple enemies. Most snipers don't even have innate punch through on top of long reloads, low damage, and low fire rate. Soma Prime does in three seconds, clear a full line of enemies up to a very high level, what Vectis Prime could take twenty or more reloads, a significantly longer time.

Now, adding innate punch through is far from enough, though it would help. The benefit of taking a bow over a sniper is railing. You don't need punch through or anything, your arrow just goes and pins one enemy to the next, one after another, until a hole slew of enemies are dead. In other words, why make snipers into what bows already are?

Ricochet is a simple mod that, alone, can make snipers a viable weapon type all the way up to end game.

- On Headshot: Bullet bounces/splinters Into X surrounding enemy heads

Or, a fancier version:

- On Headshot: Bullet bounces/splinters into surrounding enemies, x% chance to continue chain on each hit

Critical shots could also increase either version's total hit count to perhaps double, and each chained hit be a critical as well since it's a critical bullet.

or.. or... give them one meter of innate punch through so you can take out heads in a line and not rely on a sniper rifle in every situation.

or.. or... give them one meter of innate punch through so you can take out heads in a line and not rely on a sniper rifle in every situation.

If you read the full post, I explain that making them just like bows doesn't give people a reason to use a sniper over a bow as bows still end up with more damage. The idea of adding ricochet to snipers is to create more variety among weapon types, so maybe instead of taking a bow and waiting an extra second for enemies to line up, you instead aim and get a large, direct reward for scoring a headshot.

Noone will use the mod. Punchtrough is amazing but only a minority of players use the mods and your idea is very similar to it.

really? Mostly everyone in my rather big alliance swears by mods like Shred.

Punchthrough alone may not be worth the slot, but when you combo it with a fire rate increase it become amazing. I use sinister reach on my amprex for increased range on chaining. 

Considering snipers have a relatively high damage and that overkill is indeed a thing for most of the 'regular' content, I belive a lot of people would be willing to strip an elemental mod for the ability to 'spread' their damage around a bit more without losing the sniper feel.

On top of this, I'd like to see sniper ignore a portion of any enemy defenses on every shot, be it shields, armor, nullifier bubbles, or even auras like the Ancient Healer's. Every weapon type needs to have something that makes you miss not having it in a mission, and right now that rarely(if ever) happens with snipers.

Since we are running a bit out of options on what to do with snipers, this should be a sniper's innate property. 

Each sniper would have a 'ricochet distance' - default could be 50 meters as a starting point, but be tweakable for every model. This would be traveled distance, not radial from sniper. The bullet damage would reduce by 50% on every ricochet. 

Modding should allow the player to increase ricochet distance travel, and diminish the 50% damage reduction to smaller amounts, so the bullet preserves a larger % of the original punch after ricocheting. 

I prefer if we are to change sniping rifles for the better, we add an innate / inherent property rather than add some utility via a mod. ^