The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Son Thinks That The Tenno Are Bad Guys....

Hypernaut1

I don't blame your kid for thinking we're bad guys... Shoot, anyone looking at the plot of the game from the outside will likely see the Tenno as bad guys. We slaughtered the Orokin emperors, thus letting the solar system fall into chaos, then go to cryosleep for a few centuries, just to return and basically exert our will over the two other factions like we run the place.

Then again, we play a huge part in managing the Infested, and we did save the solar system. And the Corpus and Grineer are bumholes anyway. And so were the Orokin... I guess Tenno aren't the Supermen of the universe, but they're not bad guys either. It's all kind of grey, to be honest.

Well, remember Vor's Prize? In the mission where we go to obtain coordinates for Mercury to fight Vor the ship sets itself on a crash course to a civilian colony and we have the choice to save the colony by sabotaging the ship or prioritize our own well-being by just getting the hek out.

Also, just remembered about this. During Vor's Prize we go to get a ship segment from a neutral mining colony, only to find that the Grineer killed and/or captured every single colonist in the entire colony. 

Also this.

Oh, no, we're absolutely bad guys. We literally committed genocide against the Orokin Empire before the Collapse.

Thing is, nobody else is a whole lot better. The Corpus are the only major trading network in the system and will sell absolutely anything to absolutely anyone. If you can afford their extortionate prices.

The Grineer raid the few neutral human colonies that remain to terrorise, enslave and murder more or less as they wish, and the only reason they don't already rule the entire system is that they've got limited supplies of bullets and batteries - they don't have any true energy weapons like the Corpus do, so they can't arm everyone and still have them be able to shoot.

The closest we have to 'good' factions are the neutral civilians, and Steel Meridian, who are actively safeguarding them against the Corpus and Grineer. The Tenno are just a sword by comparison - what we do is dependent on who's wielding us, and why.

^this^

forgot about this one detail on the tenno...

well to be fair we may not be good guys but we don't exactly remember what we did and why we did it. dammit we need more lore!

keep them in check more like show then who really runs this place 

Well, not really. In comparison to the amount of Grineer currently running amok in Sol, the Tenno are a miniscule force - this is why our missions include stealth and subterfuge. If you think about it, none of our operations actually include open combat, just face-offs with smaller enemy forces. Against the full brunt of Grineer military machine, we can do little if any damage at all.

Edited by Gale47

Tenno are Mercenaries, Killing anything and everything in their path for a paycheck.

Edit:

and make no mistake, Tenno don't keep Grineer or Corpus in check. every time we attempt to stop them doing something, it happens anyways. no, we don't keep them in check at all.

they pump out Clones and Robits dense enough to keep us busy, while the faction heads just continue on their plans while we're fighting off a hundred thousand random mooks.

Edited by taiiat

Well, not really. In comparison to the amount of Grineer currently running amok in Sol, the Tenno are a miniscule force - this is why our missions include stealth and subterfuge. If you think about it, none of our operations actually include open combat, just face-offs with smaller enemy forces. Against the full brunt of Grineer military machine, we can do little if any damage at all.

all i can think of the the radio in our ship and the grineer going on to a ship finding all of them dead and saying "we have another one" 

then again they are all clones so is it really genocide?

Did you explain to him how we keep Balance by attacking each faction when they gain the upper hand over the other? Also tell him that we are and never were conquerors, only the keepers of balance.

You do realize this path leads to endless slaughter between the warring factions as opposed to a single decisive victory with minimal causalities? Keeping the balance means keeping the war going and getting paid as mercenaries. I dare you to find a better definition of what keeping the balance means.

all i can think of the the radio in our ship and the grineer going on to a ship finding all of them dead and saying "we have another one" 

then again they are all clones so is it really genocide?

It's not genocide. Some Grineer leave the Empire and help us and the civilians - therefore, we're not trying to commit a genocide against the Grineer. 

We really are keeping them in check; somebody has to.

Your Tenno is what you want it to be.

i'm afraid if you want your Tenno to not be a Mercenary, not playing blood sport for a Paycheck, that you are whether you like it or not. that's what this game is.

Edited by taiiat

It's not genocide. Some Grineer leave the Empire and help us and the civilians - therefore, we're not trying to commit a genocide against the Grineer. 

We really are keeping them in check; somebody has to.

so its population control 

in announcer voice 

"Remember kids always have your grineer spay and neuter  or the tenno will have to come visit"

I thought this was an interesting point of view from a child. He saw me playing today and ask me "Why cant you just let the bad guys be? theyre in their own home" I tried to explain to him that they had "something" that i needed and i was protecting it. he didnt look convinced and asked "so if you dont kill them they come after you?" i told him that they dont really come after us, but we need to go after them. All in all, it was a pretty interesting exchange to where he question why i was endlessly slaughtering legions of these supposed "bad guys" even though it looked like i was the provocateur. He later saw me at the relay and asked me if the bad guys were going to come there to kill people, to which i responded "nah, we're pretty safe here"-

tl:dr- my son thinks im playing a game about genocidal maniacs with vague objectives.

I know there is more to the story than it seems, i just thought it was interesting to hear the viewpoint of an outsider looking in.

Vay Hek invaded relays and killed Tenno, hence why we now have Law and Retribution.

Alad V captures Tenno and converts them into Zanuka and similar creepy stuff.

Vor tries to make you a pet.

i'm afraid if you want your Tenno to not be a Mercenary, not playing blood sport for a Paycheck, that you are whether you like it or not. that's what this game is.

I'm afraid you're missing the point. You set your own goals in this game. If you want to think that you're nothing else than a mercenary, be my guest. I set my own goals and have my own headcanon. I, for example, didn't switch sides during the last event because of this.

Did you explain to him how we keep Balance by attacking each faction when they gain the upper hand over the other? Also tell him that we are and never were conquerors, only the keepers of balance.

i tried to tell him that they were bad guys and do bad things and i am there to prevent them from doing said bad things, but i think there was a disconnect to what he saw on screen. He really didnt seem like he was fully buying into what i was saying. I think in his eyes, i look very powerful and easily kill people in their "home".

I dont believe we are bad guys, but my son did make me realize that a lot of what we do is really based on second hand info. There are few missions where i can show him WHY they are bad- i can really only ask him to take my word for it. Also keep in mind, my son is at an age (5) where he is beginning to question my truths. He doesnt just accept that the tooth fairy is real because i said so anymore.

edit: yes i remember eyes of blight. i didnt really get into that with him. He was really asking why this was a level without any bad guys.

Edited by Hypernaut1

i tried to tell him that they were bad guys and do bad things and i am there to prevent them from doing said bad things, but i think there was a disconnect to what he saw on screen. He really didnt seem like he was fully buying into what i was saying. I think in his eyes, i look very powerful and easily kill people in their "home".

I dont believe we are bad guys, but my son did make me realize that a lot of what we do is really based on propaganda. There are few missions where i can show him WHY they are bad- i can really only ask him to take my word for it. Also keep in mind, my son is at an age (5) where he is beginning to question my truths. He doesnt just accept that the tooth fairy is real because i said so anymore.

Your son is pretty smart.

Your son is pretty smart.

thanks. he surprises me at times. i think tablets make kids advanced way too fast these days. He thinks he's too old for sesame street!

he also asked me once before why i keep playing the same level over and over- maybe he just doesn't like me playing warframe.

Edited by Hypernaut1

My son have watched me too. It's very hard to explain what it is I do, he sees me running around and of course he sees me shooting and blowing things up.

If this was a movie or the News I would send him away and turn it off. This is make-belief on a gory scale and sometimes makes me feel like a hypocrite. It will change with age though.