Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aliens: Colonial Marines Lawsuit Ending

TheErebus.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gearbox-boss-says-colonial-marines-lawsuit-was-like-mafia-style-extortion/

So I wanna share this because...I'm losing a lot of respect for Gearbox, really fast.

Basically, there was a class-action lawsuit about the false marketing of Aliens: Colonial marines (Which I don't even need to explain how bad it was) but unfortunately, Gearbox won and Randy Pitchford (the CEO) is running his mouth off at the whole thing.

Stating that: 

"Now that the matter is effectively over, Pitchford is speaking his mind again. "That whole thing was a huge waste of time," he said in an interview with GamesIndustry. "The market proved it was doing its job perfectly. The market is dispassionate—rewarding what it likes and punishing what it doesn't. There is an objectivity and fairness in the open market's harsh, firm justice.""

It's so clear that Pitchford just wont accept the mistakes he made with the game. He continously hyped the game with videos that showed how great the game was, but it was all a bait and switch.

Jim Sterling says it better than I ever could:

Edited by TheErebus.

God, that whole thing is such a S#&$ show. It's amazing that Isolation was able to actually wash the taste of spunk out of peoples mouths after how bad the CM debacle was.

When it came out, I honestly thought that it was the death of anything related to the Alien franchise.

Oh wow, I didn't even hear about the lawsuit, but I am in no way susprised. There's still fuss going on over that game? Like, I know of the ordeal and issues with it, but that stuff usually dies down and is forgotten within a few months.

When it came out, I honestly thought that it was the death of anything related to the Alien franchise.

Yeah, I keep hoping they remaster AvP 2 and/or make another one along that same lines, AvP 2 is my personal favorite Aliens franchise game to date, still.  I waited for reviews of Colonial Marines before dropping money on it so I never managed to have it sour my taste in the franchise.  At least, any more than Alien Resurrection and Prometheus did.

*badump-tish*

Oh wow, I didn't even hear about the lawsuit, but I am in no way susprised. There's still fuss going on over that game? Like, I know of the ordeal and issues with it, but that stuff usually dies down and is forgotten within a few months.

That's exactly what Jim said was wrong with gamers, we forget about it.

What was the lawsuit about?

OP:

Basically, there was a class-action lawsuit about the false marketing of Aliens: Colonial marines 

Ehhh I don't care, I only respect a couple companies in the game industry anyways, most companies do what they did. Why Gearbox gets so much crap for it I dunno. It's getting common for game devs to showcase much better graphics, then downscale for final product. That's why I rent games first before buying. There's a lot less salt paying $3 over $60.

I just want Borderlands 3 and Battleborn.

Ehhh I don't care, I only respect a couple companies in the game industry anyways, most companies do what they did. Why Gearbox gets so much crap for it I dunno. It's getting common for game devs to showcase much better graphics, then downscale for final product. That's why I rent games first before buying. There's a lot less salt paying $3 over $60.

I just want Borderlands 3 and Battleborn.

This isn't a case of graphics at all. The A.I., gameplay, set pieces, dialogue, characters all of it was pretty much a lie and some even say the gameplay demo was actually just pre-rendered CGI and then they attempted to show it off as gameplay and where I live, rentals don't exist. So renting and not having to feel salty is out of the question.

Edited by TheErebus.

I'm still thankful for not buying the game. But to learn that Randy *@##$fraud is running his mouth off after all the crap he pulled with A:CM just makes me want to punch him.

Or better yet, pull an Egoraptor and destroy the game physically, then do a happy dance on it, and then mail a video recording of it to Gearbox.

I'm glad that Creative Assembly had the courage to make another, better Aliens game after Gearbox #*($%%@ it up.  A:CM would have been a terrible way to end the franchise's presence in video games.

I'd say that I hope that Randy's attitude has a negative impact on the success of future Gearbox titles, but gamers have shown for many years that they'll either remain or willfully choose ignorance in favor of mindless hype, just so they can get shafted again.

In that case, it's up to us to remind everyone how Gearbox screwed up A:CM and how they're not worthy of praise nor money. That, and how they responded to the customer's criticism and questions: by blocking anyone that had anything else to say other than mindless praise for A:CM.

Hell, there were even accounts on the Gearbox forums that had nothing but praise for the game, even ignoring all of the game-breaking flaws, which were suspected to be employees or even Randy himself.

I remember the poo-storm that rose when A:CM was released. I also really, really like holding grudges against people who have been scummy on repeat occasions.

Bless Jim for not letting this one go. I was never a fan of the Aliens franchise and never considered buying this game, but I'm always glad to add another name to my personal blacklist.

In that case, it's up to us to remind everyone how Gearbox screwed up A:CM and how they're not worthy of praise nor money. That, and how they responded to the customer's criticism and questions: by blocking anyone that had anything else to say other than mindless praise for A:CM.

Hell, there were even accounts on the Gearbox forums that had nothing but praise for the game, even ignoring all of the game-breaking flaws, which were suspected to be employees or even Randy himself.

Oh COME ON! Only Ubisoft can get away with THAT!

Anyway...

One more victory for greed and apathy.

One more loss for games.

This isn't a case of graphics at all. The A.I., gameplay, set pieces, dialogue, characters all of it was pretty much a lie and some even say the gameplay demo was actually just pre-rendered CGI and then they attempted to show it off as gameplay and where I live, rentals don't exist. So renting and not having to feel salty is out of the question.

Where do live that there's not rentals? Anywhere in the U.S. can get rentals thru gamefly.

Also, pretty much every game the past 2 years have been guilty of showing extreme graphical difference on consoles. Companies take high end rigs to events, showcase games and features, and then edit them out or downgrade them. They're all scumbags, EA, Ubisoft, DICE, Bioware, Activision you name it.

Look at Destiny or Watchdogs, or Batman:Arkham Knight those games nothing that was advertised, or flat out didnt even play, and it doesn't get half the crap. WB was even busted for knowingly shipping a busted PC game. Ubisoft, EA, and Activision all hire marketing companies to post fake support in forums even. Gearbox is no different than them.

As long as ppl keep getting hyped at fake trailers, and pre-ordering, this trend will continue.

Where do live that there's not rentals? Anywhere in the U.S. can get rentals thru gamefly.

Also, pretty much every game the past 2 years have been guilty of showing extreme graphical difference on consoles. Companies take high end rigs to events, showcase games and features, and then edit them out or downgrade them. They're all scumbags, EA, Ubisoft, DICE, Bioware, Activision you name it.

Look at Destiny or Watchdogs, or Batman:Arkham Knight those games nothing that was advertised, or flat out didnt even play, and it doesn't get half the crap. WB was even busted for knowingly shipping a busted PC game. Ubisoft, EA, and Activision all hire marketing companies to post fake support in forums even. Gearbox is no different than them.

As long as ppl keep getting hyped at fake trailers, and pre-ordering, this trend will continue.

You completely ignore what I said to continue on the graphics point. 

I said the graphics weren't the issue, it is the fact that they lied on practically everything shown in the demo and said this is what you should be excited for and that this will be the game you will play.

Did the devs of Arkham Knight say that the PC port is fine as is and wont bother fixing it?

No, they took the game off of steam and decided to fix it up.

Did the devs of Destiny decide to not bother doing anything about the game?

No, they decided to continue supporting it through updates and substantial DLC to improve the experience (which from what I've heard, has been improved upon).

Did the devs of Watchdogs say the changes they've made were good?

No, in fact, the CEO of Ubisoft stated that the choices they made were bad and decided to no longer attempt to do it anymore.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/06/ubisoft-learned-from-backlash-over-watch-dogs-downgrade-says-ceo/

The reason why we are not letting Gearbox go is because unlike the others that just mess up because of their stupid choices, Gearbox is just showing more and more scummy things with each passing month. Randy Pitchford refuses to accept his mistakes, that is why we wont let up on him. 

You cannot compare a busted PC port with a game that was a failure on every platform.

I live in Dubai, UAE.

No rentals allowed here, so your rentals argument isn't gonna work with me.

Edited by TheErebus.

Did the devs of Arkham Knight say that the PC port is fine as is and wont bother fixing it?

To be fair, Steam refunds are a thing now, and weren't a few months ago.  I'm almost 100% certain that if Steam Refunds still weren't a thing then WB would not have walked back on Arkham Knight and would have doubled down on their stupidity. IE: If refunds weren't a thing, WB would probably be acting like Pitchford, lying through their teeth and blaming the consumers.

Kinda as Jim said, "let's see Pitchford try this S#&$ again in post Steam Refund - Era."

Edited by Gelkor

To be fair, Steam refunds are a thing now, and weren't a few months ago.  I'm almost 100% certain that if Steam Refunds still weren't a thing then WB would not have walked back on Arkham Knight and would have doubled down on their stupidity. IE: If refunds weren't a thing, WB would probably be acting like Pitchfork, lying through their teeth and blaming the consumers.

Kinda as Jim said, "let's see Pitchfork try this S#&$ again in post Steam Refund - Era."

While that is true, the point still stands that the community would destroy this game should the Refunds have never been put into effect, which would cause a downfall in the sales of the game.

He (the user I responded to) stated that these games never seem to be harped on by the community, which is entirely incorrect. I've seen the Destiny forums when it launched, it was terribad. 

Edited by TheErebus.

You completely ignore what I said to continue on the graphics point. 

I said the graphics weren't the issue, it is the fact that they lied on practically everything shown in the demo and said this is what you should be excited for and that this will be the game you will play.

Did the devs of Destiny decide to not bother doing anything about the game?

No, they decided to continue supporting it through updates and substantial DLC to improve the experience (which from what I've heard, has been improved upon).

Did the devs of Watchdogs say the changes they've made were good?

No, in fact, the CEO of Ubisoft stated that the choices they made were bad and decided to no longer attempt to do it anymore.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/07/06/ubisoft-learned-from-backlash-over-watch-dogs-downgrade-says-ceo/

The reason why we are not letting Gearbox go is because unlike the others that just mess up because of their stupid choices, Gearbox is just showing more and more scummy things with each passing month. Randy Pitchford refuses to accept his mistakes, that is why we wont let up on him. 

You cannot compare a busted PC port with a game that was a failure on every platform.

I live in Dubai, UAE.

No rentals allowed here, so your rentals argument isn't gonna work with me.

I actually didn't ignore your point, as I stated companies both downgrade, features and graphics. Features include many aspects of the game.

Also your point is all over the place, are we talking game devs lying before launch, or their attitude after failed launch? Also, Gearbox did release lots of patches for Colonial Marines that improved the game, especially the upgrade PC got. Pitchford has apologized many times.

Also a lot of info on the game's you replied about are incorrect. Destiny is still a shell of what was supposed to be and their "fixes" continually make the community more upset and Bungie doesn't seem to care. I'm still waiting for Bungie to fix that mess so I play my lvl 34 Warlock again.

Ubisoft CEO may have stated that, but the devs have stated numerous times, downgrades and cut features after demo shows are quite common and defended themselves. If vg

24/7 had bothered to publish the whole interview, you would've seen his arrogance state that he believes it was a great game and was too complex, with its seemless multiplayer, its connectivity with mobiles and tablets, and many other things and was just too ambitious for a first iteration.

WB fixing a game now, doesn't negate the fact that they knowingly shipped the PC version broken. They only cared about console versions and hired a team of less than 20 to play test it. When the playtesters reported these issues WB flat out ignored it. On top of that Arkham Knight was nothing they were describing before. It's not even bigger than Arkham City, which they said it was numerous times.

I'm not saying Pitchford isn't a scumbag, I've stated it numerous times. I'm saying most companies are, and if you wanna believe otherwise go ahead and bury your head in the sand. There's a reason most ppl hate EA, Activision, and Ubisoft. You may not find some things companies did as bad, but to others its a big deal too. You may not think lying about graphics isn't a big deal, but most gamers do. To me lying about graphics, performance, etc is just as bad as what Randy did. It's pointless to continue this debate as we have different viewpoints, take care.