Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To: Bring Cooldowns Back

420degreequicksopeswag

I still don't understand how having the OPTION to min-max incredible damage makes the game LESS diverse. Adding cooldown timers only means that you add artificial difficulty which basically means you have a delay that you cannot control. Ie, LESS diversity. What you want to do is get everyone to play according to some inner ideal you have about what's right. Newsflash: Not everyone plays Warframe for the same reasons you do. Not everyone subscribes to your idea of difficulty. Not everyone agrees with your idea of what's fun.

If DE ever did something to this to Warframe, I'd quit. I've had enough of painfully slow consolitis FPS clones already to last me a lifetime. I'm a ridiculously powerful space ninja, I'd definitely like to remain so.

-Except YOU CAN control the cooldowns. Stop hauling around god tier weapons and or put some weight reduction mods on.

-Can anyone agree that it is fun to press 4 9001 times while doing nothing else?

-I didn't say anything about making warframe first person.

-Cooldowns won't exactly nerf anything. You now have the obligation to use ALL of your abilities regardless of whether they suck or not. 

No longer will the "tenno of distinction" rely on RNG to fuel their abilities(looking at energy orbs) or weird pulsating energy pizzas on the ground.

Skimmed the suggestions.

Why not just turn this into WoW or TERA at that rate?  :P

I sense overreaction

How about no? Just because it worked for 1 game, doesn't mean it will work for Warframe. And I played and loved the hell out of all Mass Effects. I play Warframe because it has cool abilities I can use whenever I want. I like spam, you don't? Too bad your idea sucks and is unoriginal by blatantly coping other games. So how about we don't steal ideas and keep players like me (who like spam) happy and keep what we have since it works for the most of us.

So you want to play Mass Effect 3?  You're literally copying their power CD system.  Weapon weight killed weapon diversity for a long part of the game's life.  Until it was nerfed, the only weapon anyone ever brought was the M6-Carnifex.  If weapon weights were added, this game's M6-Carnifex would most definitely be the Vaykor Marelok.  The only weapons that could possibly be "heavy" under this system would be the Boltor Prime and the Soma Prime.  Every other heavy weapon would be completely ignored because they drastically increase power CDs while failing to offer the same performance as the aforementioned weapons.

Rather a system where each ability gains a 1 second cd and each time that ability is used in a rolling 2 minuter period it gains 1 second to its cd thus slowing down spamming while still allowing relative rapid fire of abilities also energy needs to regen like stamina not in drop based chunks

How about no? Just because it worked for 1 game, doesn't mean it will work for Warframe. And I played and loved the hell out of all Mass Effects. I play Warframe because it has cool abilities I can use whenever I want. I like spam, you don't? Too bad your idea sucks and is unoriginal by blatantly coping other games. So how about we don't steal ideas and keep players like me (who like spam) happy and keep what we have since it works for the most of us.

Does anyone have a better solution to the energy problem

Yes it is a problem when you can indefinitely spam a nuke back to back and clear the whole tileset in a heartbeat.

What if instead of a cooldown system you had a heat mechanic. Each ability also has a heat cost and each warframe would have a total heat amount, both the heat cost and total heat would be moddable though mods that decrease cost, warframe total heat bar, heat dissipation, etc. When you max out heat you go into overload and need to wait for it to cool down completely before casting again. With each ability having a different Heat amount some abilities can be inherently more spamable than others. Vauban for example would have his bounce and shock balls as a lower heat cost while his Vortex and Bastille would have a higher heat cost limiting him from dropping them everywhere in a panic. Some abilities like iron skin would only have a heat cost on activation while other channel abilities Like Mesa's Peacemakers would have a cost over time of heat. I think this might discourage 4 spam a little while opening up new avenues of interaction like, corrupted augment mods, Vauban could have a super charged Tesla ball with a much higher heat cost. 

How about a charging energy bar?
    Maybe it takes a base rate of 10-20 seconds to fill. Weaker & single target abilities use 1/5 or 1/4 of that bar. Ultimates might use ~75% and cause the bar to fill slower for a period of time (borrowing a bit from the 'fatigue' idea). Any of those numbers could be changed to fine tune how spammable abilities are.

A more off the wall idea is to have different charging mechanisms for different frames. Volt might charge quicker near electrical systems (or shot out lights?). Excalibur charges faster when using melee. These would be somewhat hard (and a bunch of time/thought investment) to implement across the board though.

Another thought is having certain skilled shots or movements to recover energy.
    Executes and stealth kills could be rewarded with somewhat quicker energy gain. Headshots, slide-shots, wallhang-shots, jump-shots, ricochets(?) could have a small energy rewards, which would probably encourage skilled play. Maybe it could be proportional to fire rate (semi-autos get a lot back per shot, automatics get less per hit). Some energy could be gained on melee or kill (based on enemy type and/or who dealt the killing blow).

-=-
None of these ideas account for efficiency mods

edit: Interesting with the Heat idea RK5. I wonder if Ember might become inherently better at spamming due to 'heat' control ;)

Edited by CrimsonNightSky

Does anyone have a better solution to the energy problem

Yes it is a problem when you can indefinitely spam a nuke back to back and clear the whole tileset in a heartbeat.

Ever played Dynasty Warriors? I do, I like it. Whats wrong with that? I don't play this game expecting a challenge, I play it to roflstomp a ton of enemies with my superior everything. I WANT to be OP don't you get it?

I'd rather we have a "special meter" where landing other attacks or doing cool parkour moves increased energy, and you had to do stuff like that before you could use your abilities.

Edited by Volume

It should be noted that abilities are spammed because they remain constantly good. Loki's ult doesn't suddenly become irrelevant once the enemies are level 80, Molecular prime, same thing, etc etc. Whereas our guns exponentially fall off, from 1-hitting to 2-hitting then requiring an entire mag to kill something. I can get consistent returns with the powers, so i use them. Its not like we don't have weapon spam either, the top weapons (dread, parisPrime, boltorP and SomaP, and yah I'll say it, tonkor, etc) are used without fail anytime you just really aren't interested in failing a mission. Why? because these weapons are consistantly good, but fall off fast.

We don't have a power-creep problem on our side, we have a power creep problem on theirs, and our "spammage" is just a symptom of that real problem.

It was a stupid idea, and I think you knew that before you hit the post button, but you just had to post it anyway.

Shame on you.

Youch

I thought it was a great idea. Or at least it was the idea the came to mind when I was thinking about that recent game, the one with a bladestorming ash prime and a miasma saryn. Something felt a little off.

If i wanted to troll the forums i would have said "energy can only be restored by using the meditate emote"

Ever played Dynasty Warriors? I do, I like it. Whats wrong with that? I don't play this game expecting a challenge, I play it to roflstomp a ton of enemies with my superior everything. I WANT to be OP don't you get it?

To be fair dynasty warriors has a degree of tactics and target prioritization behind the hack and slash

if you just sit there slaughtering trash mobs instead of dealing with high value targets or taking/defending key points you're gonna lose

Warframe doesn't really have any of those mechanics and in some cases it does but in its infancy