Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Solution To End Rabbitframe And Improve Parkour 2.0!

Vorpal_Ocelot

This is the solution came up from a hot thread called "STOP RABBITFRAME!!!"

I believe this solution would make Parkour 2.0 amazing without giving up anything we already love.

The release of some previews of Parkour 2.0 put an end to all wallrunning and replaces it with wallhopping (video examples below). I propose a new idea based of the many replies of that last thread.

"https://vine.co/v/evt9BAJKVlI" The hopping is seen at the beginning of this video. The tenno hops on the same wall four or so times instead of wallrunning like we do now. That is the ONLY part of parkour 2.0 this thread and the previous thread is about improving.

Instead of hopping along the same wall in an unusual and unrealistic manner; after one hop toward the same wall you would begin running along the wall; at anytime you have the ability to press crouch and activate a stationary wallgrasp from which you can then decide to either jump on the same wall again (beginning wall running) or hop to a new wall, begin a vertical wall run by jumping up on the same wall, or release crouch to simply drop down off the wall.

What if right when you landed on a wall you could just cling or you can "hop" straight off (the new hop) or grasp the wall and aim your next hop; BUT if you hop back on the same wall once you begin wallrunning along that wall; if you +crouch while wallrunning you can grasp the wall stationary again and either hop to a new surface or hop to the *same* surface and continue wall running or jump off entirely. You could either release crouch to let go and drop out of "stationary wallgrasp"; or jump to hop somewhere else from a grasp!

"http://gfycat.com/Te...usedBarnswallow" This entire video will still be possable and look exactly like that! He uses the moves exactly how they'd be used even if this method was implemented. 

"https://vine.co/v/evt9BAJKVlI" Everything would still be exactly like this video; except the first couple of seconds when he hops on the same wall 4 times in the beginning; he'd hop to the same wall once BUT THEN it would switch to a wallrun; AND at anytime he could jump off or grasp stationary and from then continue wall running or begin wall running vertically or jump off or "drop" down.

"https://youtu.be/sRNdMg2VHVw" And these wallrunning animations would still exist! Except when you first hit the wall you'll "hop" and if you hop back towards the same wall you'll begin the wall running; which at anytime you could hit crouch to enable a stationary wallgrasp and you could commence hopping or running or even drop off or hang on stationary. It would open full functionality!

It would take away the weird "flinging inertia" to some moves that launch a player far away, improve functionality in a wider way, AND its a good mix between old and new!  

If you run straight vertically up a wall you would do the original wallrunning up to a point and backflip off like it is now; however, at anytime you could hit the crouch button and grasp the wall stationary again and either aim and hop to other walls, begin horizontal wall running by aiming at the same wall your on and jumping against it horizontally holding jump or do a vertical jump up on the same wall and hold jump to continue wallrunning upwards.

What do you think about these ideas? I feel like it would be the best way I could think of to compromise without giving up anything; only adding MORE functionality! A good compromise for the players who really enjoy/love and want to keep wallrunning and the new hopping animations and changes already in progress with the new system. Here are 3 major pros:

1) If you want to hop up some close together walls you could hop then grasp, aim your next hop between the walls; eventually getting fast enough to hop without needing to grasp and aim; you'll just aim just enough and hop hop hop!

2) Hopefully you could still do the original vertical wallrun/backflip +turn and continue wallrun on other side and repeat to get vertically up two parallel walls. Since it already has full function and works great every time when you get your skill right and players like how it looks; why remove it or change it? This would just upgrade it! You could climb vertically between two walls the old way AND a brand new way or mix the two together with grasping set as crouch button! You could either release crouch to let go and drop out of grasp; or jump to hop somewhere else from a grasp!

3) It would open up multiple ways to tackle a climbing path. One tenno could be wallrunning vertically and flipping from wall to wall while another tenno is clinging to a wall and jumping off to the opposite wall; holding on to the wall to calculate his next jump. Watching both the tenno tackling the same climbing obstacle at the same time would be entertaining and you could see the players actual "style" come through more with more options.

I would really like considerations; this game is amazing and beautiful. After close to 1000 hours and over 100 bucks spent on just cool lookn stuff I only want the best for the game and it's unique and amazing gameplay! As an open beta I know this is the feedback DE wants; constructive, offering solutions and ideas and taking opinions. This idea came to me because a few posts on the same thread and other players opinion of wallrunning and hoping mechanics; someone said to mix them; and that guy hadda great idea and it got me thinking and hopefully everyone else thinking together!

Thanks for the consideration!

Edited by Vorpal_Ocelot

Then, by all means, please continue to address this issue until it looks less stupid, OP.

Why in the name of Neffy's danglers would they get rid of a perfectly good animation to replace it with such... Derpishness.

IIRC, reason given in the Devstream was that places that allow for long wall-runs are few and far between, causing the players to hop from surface to surface most of the time anyway. It is possible that the running animation itself was "sticky" during transition just like the current one, and they couldn't get rid of that, so they decided that pure hops will function better and smoother, and will be easier to code. 

Don't mind the hops per se, except maybe I would give them more visceral feel as they do seem very "light", like e.g. marks on the wall showing the force of impact, or Tenno straight up digging their fingers into the wall so they can launch themselves forward. 

True; warframes are suppose to be pretty heavy. I don't mind the hop animation once, or between walls; but hopping on the same wall repeatedly doesn't make sense and it isn't visually appealing either. I feel like together we can help find a better way.

I like the idea of the grasping and hopping but if your trying to stay hopping on that one wall it would just switch to a run animation after the first hop like I tried to describe in as deep detail as I could in the thread start. I feel like it would be too amazing and would make me even more crazy about warframe. I all ready tell everyone I know that likes games about warframe; I just want the best for this amazing unique game that I've become addicted to. I love that I can play one mission and go on about my day or I can play a ton of missions, socialize, build things in the foundry and level gear and mod and customize so much and spend spare hours completely entertained by this game. I feel like it's such a great game it should make history.

Aren't those hops on the wall because it's a WIP, meaning that there's currently no animation for holding and running along the wall?

No. The wall jumping is final, they just didn't have the animation for the jump when it was first shown. They have them now in the new ones.

The reason they are doing it that way is because it offers better control and is faster in terms of movement speed than their previous attempts that still included wall running. There's a reason they scrapped wall running.

Parkour 2.0 is basically finished and almost ready for release, you're not going to get them to change their minds. It's pointless to keep making these threads.

Edited by Ceryk

No. The wall jumping is final, they just didn't have the animation for the jump when it was first shown. They have them now in the new ones.

The reason they are doing it that way is because it offers better control and is faster in terms of movement speed than their previous attempts that still included wall running. There's a reason they scrapped wall running.

Parkour 2.0 is basically finished and almost ready for release, you're not going to get them to change their minds. It's pointless to keep making these threads.

This has nothing to do with mechanics, the walljump clearly is the same thing in this system as a wallrun but with a different (and overly silly) animation. There was no reason for them to completely replace the latter, also "your feedback is pointless" type of posts do not sit well in the feedback section, just a tip.

A message to anyone who says that hopping across a wall makes no sense

your concerns will be be addressed when you can grab onto a flat wall and run along/climb up and hang onto that wall for at least 10 seconds

until then Buck up

Heh heh

True; warframes are suppose to be pretty heavy. I don't mind the hop animation once, or between walls; but hopping on the same wall repeatedly doesn't make sense and it isn't visually appealing either. I feel like together we can help find a better way.

I like the idea of the grasping and hopping but if your trying to stay hopping on that one wall it would just switch to a run animation after the first hop like I tried to describe in as deep detail as I could in the thread start. I feel like it would be too amazing and would make me even more crazy about warframe. I all ready tell everyone I know that likes games about warframe; I just want the best for this amazing unique game that I've become addicted to. I love that I can play one mission and go on about my day or I can play a ton of missions, socialize, build things in the foundry and level gear and mod and customize so much and spend spare hours completely entertained by this game. I feel like it's such a great game it should make history.

I understand what you mean and and wouldn't mind that at all. After all we're talking aesthetics here, it's the mechanics that truly matter. I was merely saying that wallrunning might have behaved sticky no matter how they tried to tune it. You know what I mean, that split second interruption when you attempt a wallrun. Maybe they couldn't make that go away due to engine limitations that would take too long to to be adjusted? 

Anyway, if wallrunning can be brought back without interruption to movement flow then they should go for it. But ultimately, form follows function, no the other way around.

Edited by tisdfogg

A message to anyone who says that hopping across a wall makes no sense

your concerns will be be addressed when you can grab onto a flat wall and run along/climb up and hang onto that wall for at least 10 seconds

until then Buck up

Check out professional parkour runners on youtube. Then imagine them infected and given extra strength by the technocyte virus; THEN give them a metal suit with super technology. 

At least that's what I always supposed the lore was trying to sort of say..,kinda like we tenno were the selected few who the technocyte virus didnt turn into a weird fuckd up being and improved us but "might" of caused minor deformations or visual blemishes. But we got extra strength and speed and mental thinking and created warframes and an honorable system to help maintain some unknown to me sorta balance in between the other races in the universe causing war against each other and now us; the biggest new enemy they have.

I just figured that because a lot of ingame lore and the main character in dark sector gets infected with the technocyte virus; doesn't die gets stronger and a cool glaive and then he puts on a suit that looks like a warframe. And that glaive and warframe skin are in warframe as Prototype Excalibur and the Glaive skin.

Anyways though this is a feedback section. saying weird things like "buck up" is unusual are you angry or think im trying to show aggression toward you personally? I'm just wanting opinions and feedback for DE; it's an "open beta" we are "beta testers" basically and lucky enough to be. DE wants and tells us they want feedback all the time. Not sure why your angry for me giving it; just say you don't agree; and others might say they do agree. And we'll just tally it up

Edited by Vorpal_Ocelot

I understand what you mean and and wouldn't mind that at all. After all we're talking aesthetics here, it's the mechanics that truly matter. I was merely saying that wallrunning might have behaved sticky no matter how they tried to tune it. You know what I mean, that split second interruption when you attempt a wallrun. Maybe they couldn't make that go away due to engine limitations that would take too long to to be adjusted? 

Anyway, if wallrunning can be brought back without interruption to movement flow then they should go for it. But ultimately, form follows function, no the other way around.

your right, I hope they can bring wallrunning back somehow but if its not possible i know i'll still play warframe; it's a great game i just love the feeling and visual aspect of wallrunning it really drew me to the game in a big way; Ill get used to the hopping I guess but the feeling I get running on a wall would be gone forever; and its really a good feeling right now minus every now and then I get flung somewhere random. 

I mean; just look at the visual beauty of this game; I feel like the visual beauty is a huge part of the fun and this is about keeping that visual and feeling in warframe. I had a 4 hour jam session with my good friend cliff on rhythm and me on lead and got a 10 minute raw recording of our improve session to listen to later on because honestly we were drunk. Well I get home around 5 in the morning and I am too wired to sleep so I kick up warframe and decide to listen to our improve session for memory and reflection. Warframes space view from the ship looks awesome and somehow seemed to match up with our jam. I mean the game is beautiful and the hopping just looks a bit weird; I want it to stay beautiful and have awesome wallrunning.

Edited by Vorpal_Ocelot

Check out professional parkour runners on youtube. Then imagine them infected and given extra strength by the technocyte virus; THEN give them a metal suit with super technology. 

At least that's what I always supposed the lore was trying to sort of say..,kinda like we tenno were the selected few who the technocyte virus didnt turn into a weird fuckd up being and improved us but "might" of caused minor deformations or visual blemishes. But we got extra strength and speed and mental thinking and created warframes and an honorable system to help maintain some unknown to me sorta balance in between the other races in the universe causing war against each other and now us; the biggest new enemy they have.

I just figured that because a lot of ingame lore and the main character in dark sector gets infected with the technocyte virus; doesn't die gets stronger and a cool glaive and then he puts on a suit that looks like a warframe. And that glaive and warframe skin are in warframe as Prototype Excalibur and the Glaive skin.

Anyways though this is a feedback section. saying weird things like "buck up" is unusual are you angry or think im trying to show aggression toward you personally? I'm just wanting opinions and feedback for DE; it's an "open beta" we are "beta testers" basically and lucky enough to be. DE wants and tells us they want feedback all the time. Not sure why your angry for me giving it; just say you don't agree; and others might say they do agree. And we'll just tally it up

What im saying is if it makes sense for Warframes to Defy physics in one way there shouldn't be an issue for them to do it another.

Saying that they'd be able to run along a flat wall then logically they would be able to hop along it visually you can even see the suit pulse with energy as if where assisting you in Parkour 2.0

and the "Buck Up" comment Was in a way of venting some aggression towards no one specific

just tired of people wanting the game to be Flashy instead of functional.

no matter how you cut it the hopping will offer better control than being glued to the wall in the manner the current wallrun works

The major reason for the hopping in the first place because there is almost never going to be a perfectly flat wall to run/climb simply because the way the tilesets are layed out

Battlefield 4 as an example is a game i've sunk many hours into.

do i play it much anymore? the answer is no because it focused on "Looking pretty" instead of working properly

Just a Little proof lol

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Crimson_Judgment/stats/896967833/ps4/

True I definitely want to keep the improved functionality of the new hoping they are making use of in parkour 2.0 thats why I said the solution I did. We could hop and grasp like parkour 2.0 designed to; however a repeated hop on the same wall would switch to a running animation and at anytime you can go back into the wallgrasp and hopping maneuver even from a wallrun (lets say for example by hitting crouch in mid-wallrun would stationary grasp the wall). By making the "stationary wallgrasp" move kind of an on-command thing when wallrunning you could bring in the new mechanic and keep the old running visual. It could be amazing.

Imagine you hop up two walls; then start running along one and suddenly grasp the wall stationary and hang for a bit. Then you would have all these options: You could continue wallrunning, you could hop to other walls, you could stick there and wait to get the pounce on an enemy or you could just release the wall and drop down.

I'm not saying diminish functionality; only hoping for a compromise with the new visuals to help wallrunning still be a part of the game; A part I really love and *many* others have stated they love and would hate to see it go on these threads. 

A few commenters seem to continually say what DE "can't" do but I haven't had DE comment on it yet and from what I have seen they *can* do some pretty amazing work; so I just have a hopeful/faithful view and hope for the best of the game. 

Now I don't know what they can and cannot do; but as for the awesome wallrunning visuals, I want it to stay in the game if possible; and a lot of others have been posting to these threads saying they'd miss it too. No one has said "oh no I hate wallrunning let it go" but some have given reasons why they assume its leaving; which isn't usable feedback. Either you would miss wallrunning and want it to stay in the game somehow or you hate the wallrunning animations and don't care if they go (which not a single person has said yet). The functionality of the current running animations DEFINITELY NEEDS parkour 2.0 without a doubt; however could there be a compromise where the new functionality of parkour 2.0 continues AND wallrunning ANIMATION is somehow "saved" and still has a part in the game; because a lot of players including myself and maybe even you love how wallrunning looks visually and like it entire leagues better than wallhopping on the same wall repeatedly.

Edited by Vorpal_Ocelot

Nothing is really wrong with your solution its a nice compromise.

Perhaps i should make clear the difference of our platforms of choice

on the Playstation 4 it is already impossible to shoot while wallrunning Due to All the required buttons being on the right side of the controller.

( X to Wallrun Right analog stick to Aim and R2 to shoot ) Climbing is bothersome and L3 Pretty much must be pressed every time you slide.

i already have fears of DE'S capacity to properly implement a half decent control scheme in parkour 2.0

and quite frankly the possibility of your idea compiles onto that.

Like i said i have no quarrel with you idea in general but i fear a ridiculously impossible convoluted control scheme for consoles

that will prevent us from enjoying or even using parkour in 2.0

Nothing is really wrong with your solution its a nice compromise.

Perhaps i should make clear the difference of our platforms of choice

on the Playstation 4 it is already impossible to shoot while wallrunning Due to All the required buttons being on the right side of the controller.

( X to Wallrun Right analog stick to Aim and R2 to shoot ) Climbing is bothersome and L3 Pretty much must be pressed every time you slide.

i already have fears of DE'S capacity to properly implement a half decent control scheme in parkour 2.0

and quite frankly the possibility of your idea compiles onto that.

Like i said i have no quarrel with you idea in general but i fear a ridiculously impossible convoluted control scheme for consoles

that will prevent us from enjoying or even using parkour in 2.0

I play with a ps2 controller. I have full functionality; does the ps4 or xbox have custom key assignment like the PC? If not they need to add it. That would solve your problem. My controller is set-up is as followed:

Ltrigger: Aim/Secondary Fire

Lbumper: Abilities Menu

Rtrigger: Fire

Rbumper: Run/Dodge

Lstickpress: Jump (hold for parkour)

Rstickpress: Crouch (or slide)

Triangle: Change Weapons (Tap for gunswitch, hold for melee)

Circle: Reload

Square: Interaction

X: Quick Melee(And Channel Melee if melee is out)

D-Up: Gear

D-Down: Map

D-Left: Camera Angle Swap

D-Right: Quick Gear 1

Select: Mission Status

Start: Escape Menu

These controls work great for me and leave me able to hit any combo/maneuver and parkour no problem. I have no issue running up or along walls and shooting. Or maneuvering around enemies and flipping over them and cutting their head off.

If DE hasn't implemented a way to assign your own controls in the ps4 or xbox version; they need to! In the PC version you can; and after some experimenting I've come up with key assignments that work perfect for me.

Edited by Vorpal_Ocelot

I've already discussed about Parkour 2.0 in this thread of mine:
https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/491314-me-and-my-clan-prefer-the-previous-parkour-20-to-this-gallop-onto-the-wall-jumping-thing/

As I said, well, I'm.. "Okay", with hopping instead of wall-running.

The only point is:

THE ANIMATION ITSELF IS HORRIBLE.

And that's the bottom line.

If DE will read about our feedback, about all of us, us that have said this in many threads, I'm only asking:

TWEAK, CHANGE, DO SOMETHING FOR THAT ANIMATION.

This is the only thing we're all (fairly) complaing about.
Make our Warframe look like a Ninja, and not like a bunny, or a horse, or a frog.
Period.