Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Really Disappointed

Telluric

I left the Devstream early today, due to a horrible nauseous feeling thanks to a huge chunk of Warframe players making transphobic comments in regards to Equinox. I am so disgusted to realise that I play the same game as these people. I've identified as transgender for over 11 years now, and to see people making nasty comments and jokes about people like myself, it really is hurtful, even if you don't see it that way. I seriously don't even know what to say. It is so hurtful, and you guys don't even realize what you're saying, or even care about how it affects people.

You might not see it as offensive, but if you're not transgender, you honestly can't know what it is to feel like this. Your entire gender identity made into a disgusting, twisted joke, and the worst part is, people think it's hilarious.

Many, many thanks and applause to the stream chat mods, for deleting a lot of comments, and another big thank you to Rebecca for not letting Steve get away with calling Caitlyn Jenner by her old name. It was disgusting, insulting, and not at all funny in the slightest.

I've been so so excited for Equinox, almost as excited as I was for Limbo, but I feel like with all these transphobic and demeaning comments, as well as "needs more boobs" on a wonderfully androgynous Warframe, is derogatory and makes me sick to my stomach.

I don't know what to do about it. I'm just heartbroken that people like this exist and play this game that I love so much.

Edited by Telluric
  • Like 1

I actually had a pretty bad anxiety attack from all the comments regarding Equinox, as I am also transgender, and really 10/10 to the mods for being on top of the issue.
I really do want a personal apology from Steve because that was in no way okay at all. But one can only hope I guess.

People like that are present in every community. Although Warframe has typically been isolated from toxicity in the past, it's becoming more and more popular. And with the new popularity, is of course, the toxic players from games like League of Legends and Call of Duty. It's unfortunate, but we just need to ignore them. There are many great players in here, don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

It would just be nice if we got some form of apology for this happening. Even if the Devs themselves aren't personally offended, they should at least say sorry for causing issues with people who may find offense in what happened during the stream.

Anyone asking for a lock clearly doesn't understand (or is completely ignoring) the issue. I'd like to think Warframe and it's community are very progressive, but the community is doing it's damndest to stay ignorant. You tell em, Telly.

Id upvote this many times if possible. People have to start understanding that when your jokes are purely offensive to a certain part of society, it isn't funny anymore.

Unfortunately Id say it isn't an issue with a few Warframe players, but an issue with our society that thinks its only ok if you are a man that likes women, or vice-versa.

Maybe one day people will actually evolve from this terrible thinking style and understand that what makes human race beautiful is its diversity.

EDIT: In time, Im sorry for still existing people that do that kind of terrible stuff.

Edited by Hybridon

although it is insensitive to joke about genders and others  you must also realize its just the way life is and no one gives a sht about anyone or their feelings. harsh but true and until you come to terms with that, you will always feel this way if ever youre in the midst of or over hears  a conversation regarding said subject.

I'm fairly disgusted with everyone talking about how big saryn's butt is, etc etc etc.

I feel everyone should have the privilege to be able to live comfortably, whichever gender they may be, be it transgender or else.

Don't let those a**holes get you down.

I don't even see why people had to bring gender into it. I always saw Equinox as a conjoined twin type of 'frame.

I'm sorry that this happened, but at the same time I'm not surprised by it. At all. Everyone Almost everyone (for those people that will find the need to boast their nobility) says things without thinking of the consequence. Even in situations where there would normally be no consequence, words can have specific negative connotations to individuals. 

As for Caitlyn Jenner, I'm fairly certain I saw Bruce written in your post as well before I refreshed (I may be mistaken, if so, I apologize.), which just goes to prove my point.   Edit: According to others, this is incorrect as I had no way to verify my statement (hence the attached disclaimer.) My intent was not to cause harm, but simply to point out the mistakes people make that cause more harm than intended. Thank you for understanding.

I make fun of Caitlyn Jenner too - I make fun of the entire Jenner and Kardashian families because I'm fairly certain that their every action is a publicity stunt. At 65, it just seems to be a bit late to go through that, and I wonder how legitimate they are(which, keep in mind, essentially devalues the legitimacy of people who actually identify as trans), hence why I poke fun at them. It's nothing about trans people, it's just that I find the Jenner and their entire family stupid - they're famous for being famous.

Edited by CruelCrow

Meh, some people are REALLY insecure about their sexuality. A bunch of kiddies and mouth-breathers, don't worry about that.

although it is insensitive to joke about genders and others  you must also realize its just the way life is and no one gives a sht about anyone or their feelings. harsh but true and until you come to terms with that, you will always feel this way if ever youre in the midst of or over hears  a conversation regarding said subject.

Erm, no? It's like you're not even trying. The issue is very specific and is connected to those homophobic souls who threw those comments around. What you're saying is almost completely irrelevant for the matter at hand.

Edited by Gale47

Agreed with CruelCrow. And to follow up with that, nobody is exempt from satire and humorous ribbing.

If it "causes you to have an anxiety attack" when someone so much as expresses the tiniest bit of non-acceptance or friendly ribbing at your preferred denomination's expense, the internet may not be a good place for you to be.

A fish does not swim into a bath containing a thousand cats, and expects no reaction.

I left the Devstream early today, due to a horrible nauseous feeling thanks to a huge chunk of Warframe players making transphobic comments in regards to Equinox. I am so disgusted to realise that I play the same game as these people. I've identified as transgender for over 11 years now, and to see people making nasty comments and jokes about people like myself, it really is hurtful, even if you don't see it that way. I seriously don't even know what to say. It is so hurtful, and you guys don't even realize what you're saying, or even care about how it affects people.

You might not see it as offensive, but if you're not transgender, you honestly can't know what it is to feel like this. Your entire gender identity made into a disgusting, twisted joke, and the worst part is, people think it's hilarious.

Many, many thanks and applause to the stream chat mods, for deleting a lot of comments, and another big thank you to Rebecca for not letting Steve get away with calling Caitlyn Jenner by her old name. It was disgusting, insulting, and not at all funny in the slightest.

I've been so so excited for Equinox, almost as excited as I was for Limbo, but I feel like with all these transphobic and demeaning comments, as well as "needs more boobs" on a wonderfully androgynous Warframe, is derogatory and makes me sick to my stomach.

I don't know what to do about it. I'm just heartbroken that people like this exist and play this game that I love so much.

Oh perhaps you should know how many foreign players hate Russians. I am Russian. I see so much jokes about my nation when I play Warframe. Until hubs got separated the only talk there was about Russians.

Yeah those were some bad jokes intended to hurt someone's feelings. Lol. Why should I care?

Being not the same like others doesn't restrict you from having something called self-esteem. If people joke with bad jokes why should you enter their level of communication? Be above it.

Sorry for this @Telluric, @Smimsy. There's always this kind of player in every single game and also, don't take their comments seriously, it's not worth your time.

[size=2]actually many things in the internet are not worth your time[/size]

Edited by SucodeCaju

I don't even see why people had to bring gender into it. I always saw Equinox as a conjoined twin type of 'frame.

I'm sorry that this happened, but at the same time I'm not surprised by it. At all. Everyone Almost everyone (for those people that will find the need to boast their nobility) says things without thinking of the consequence. Even in situations where there would normally be no consequence, words can have specific negative connotations to individuals. 

As for Caitlyn Jenner, I'm fairly certain I saw Bruce written in your post as well before I refreshed (I may be mistaken, if so, I apologize.), which just goes to prove my point.

I make fun of Caitlyn Jenner too - I make fun of the entire Jenner and Kardashian families because I'm fairly certain that their every action is a publicity stunt. At 65, it just seems to be a bit late to go through that, and I wonder how legitimate they are(which, keep in mind, essentially devalues the legitimacy of people who actually identify as trans), hence why I poke fun at them. It's nothing about trans people, it's just that I find the Jenner and their entire family stupid - they're famous for being famous.

Nope, OP never said "Bruce," I saw the original version of the post. Great job trying to derail the conversation.

Also the difference is, making fun of Caitlyn Jenner is sort of setting an "example" for the rest of the trans community and as a whole kicking them while they're down.

Childish reactions, but I didn't feel offended when the twitch chat made jokes about Teshin, the first black character in Warframe (second if you count the trailers)...

Teshins Black!? I thought it was just bad lighting. Also I too never get offended like never "hurtful" comments pass by me like a stranger

Edited by Zer0Ghost

Lesson of the day: Never read Twitch chat. I know I never do, I was completely unaware of this situation. It really is for the best, at the end of the day.

It is unfortunate that, as a metacomplaint thread, this will likely get locked. Still, try to not take these things personally as much as you can. There are racists, homophobes and all-around jerks pretty much everywhere, and while fighting for your rights and the respect you deserve as a person is good, getting offended by what random online people say proves to be a losing game in the end.

Myself, despite not sharing these issues, have also been disappointed with this community numerous times. It's really just a matter of accepting that stupid jerkasses really are everywhere, and try not to think about them.

You should go relax a bit, catch your breath, and when you feel calm again, just zone these people out the best you can. Jerks don't deserve attention, know what I'm saying?

And next time, really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY don't read Twitch chat.

Ok this whole "you need to just leave it be" or "just ignore it" needs to @(*()$ stop, when the 'friendly ribbings' an the 'deal with its' are EVERYWHERE its IMPOSSIBLE TO IGNORE, O h my god you shouldn't have to "NOT READ THE CHAT" it shouldn't even @(*()$ be in the chat in the first place. People need to @(*()$ learn that these 'jokes' need to stop, that it isn't ok. WHEN THESE JOKES GET PEOPLE KILLED IT NEEDS TO STOP.