Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is My Soma Prime Build Good? (Have Lots Of Plat)

Baskakov_Dima

Question

Looks okay except I would personally replace vile acceleration with hammer shot or even a third element damage mod.

I don't see vile acceleration being all that useful on Soma.

But if you want more fire rate shred is probably a better option for Soma than VA.

Just my opinion of course.

Edit: I forgot piercing caliber. That's a good alternative to VA as well.

Edited by f3llyn

The accuracy loss from HCal may be more of a detriment than you think;

If using HCal means you don't aim for headshots you end up doing a LOT less damage than the guy not using HCal and aiming for headshots.

Headshots have an average damage multiplier of 3.5x for this weapon, because of the high crit chance, so headshots without HCal are getting ~280% of the damage of bodyshots without HCal.

HCal is around +25% more damage than an element or Bane mod; that's not a lot, considering the accuracy reduction.

Anyhow, another option on top of the VA vs. Shred options above.

Edit: I prefer no HCal (as you may have guessed from the comments above) and Shred over VA

http://goo.gl/HiOo71

1 less Forma

avg 4068.68 headshot dmg/shot

79,339.33 headshot burst DPS

Has 1.2m punchthrough

In comparison to your build, which has 1377.67 damage per shot and 39,263.51 burst DPS.

Edited by Darzk

If you're looking to just spray bullets, then the build is fine. If you wanna aim for heads and get more damage out of your crits (2x extra dmg multiplier on crit. headshots), then replace Heavy Trigger with an Elemental.

Maybe replace Vile A. with either Hammer Shot, Speed Trigger, or Shred (it's mainly up to you) as well. I prefer Shred since I'm able to shoot through crowds more easily, or Hammer Shot if I'm aiming for heads.

Edited by Yazeth

So, basically people argue on Vile Acceleration/Shred/Speed Trigger or Hammer Shot and equipping or unequipping the Heavy Caliber. Well, I want to tell how I see it just so you can review it and correct me if I am wrong, as I most likely am.

The accuracy loss from HCal may be more of a detriment than you think;

If using HCal means you don't aim for headshots you end up doing a LOT less damage than the guy not using HCal and aiming for headshots.

Headshots have an average damage multiplier of 3.5x for this weapon, because of the high crit chance, so headshots without HCal are getting ~280% of the damage of bodyshots without HCal.

HCal is around +25% more damage than an element or Bane mod; that's not a lot, considering the accuracy reduction.

Anyhow, another option on top of the VA vs. Shred options above.

Edit: I prefer no HCal (as you may have guessed from the comments above) and Shred over VA

http://goo.gl/HiOo71

1 less Forma

avg 4068.68 headshot dmg/shot

79,339.33 headshot burst DPS

Has 1.2m punchthrough

In comparison to your build, which has 1377.67 damage per shot and 39,263.51 burst DPS.

I have done a small research about Heavy Caliber being worth/not worth it. It most likely has some mathematical mistakes, as all I used was my calculator, but anyway, the conclusion:

1) In very close quarter fights you can aim for the head and have almost 100% headshot ration even with Heavy Caliber equipped. This means, you definitely just win these +25,62% damage bonus and your damage bonus does not depend on enemy's elemental weaknesses and resistances. Against Phorid it is definitely a better choice since you can just run from him, keeping a very small distance from him, just barely enough to avoid the claws, and hit his head with 100% of your bullets, for example.

2) On longer ranges, as scoring headshots isn't really hard if you care, it is, surely, not the best choice

3) If you just shoot randomly/in the crowd/use multishot to hit multiple enemies, Heavy Caliber is probably a more convinient choce.

4) Heavy Caliber makes your weapon less enemy-dependent, you don't need to care about the damage type.

If you're looking to just spray bullets, then the build is fine. If you wanna aim for heads and get more damage out of your crits (2x extra dmg multiplier on crit. headshots), then replace Heavy Trigger with an Elemental.

Maybe replace Vile A. with either Hammer Shot, Speed Trigger, or Shred (it's mainly up to you) as well. I prefer Shred since I'm able to shoot through crowds more easily, or Hammer Shot if I'm aiming for heads.

As I understand the mods...

1) Hammer Shot -- the least DPS buff, but is a lot more ammo efficient. DPS 26.970.810 Let us call it 100%

2) Vile Acceleration -- buffs DPS significantly, reduces ammo-efficiency, stabilizes the build (more randomizations per second means more stable curve). DPS 39.263.510, or 145,6% of Hammer Shot's

3) Speed Trigger -- also a DPS buff and stabilization, not that significant BTW, but keeps ammo efficiency. DPS 34.259.088, or 127%

4) Shred -- even smaller direct DPS buff, but you can punch through 2 humanoids/1 charger, dealing 3x/2x average damage or hit an enemy behind a small cover. Single target DPS of 27.835.509, or 103,2% of Hammer Shot's (almost the same)

So, 

1) Shred against the crowds and hordes

2) Vile Acceleration against the bosses

3) Hammer Shot if short on ammo

4) Speed Trigger if looking for a compromise

Did I get it all right?

4) Heavy Caliber makes your weapon less enemy-dependent, you don't need to care about the damage type.

I would actually disagree with this - it makes it more enemy dependant, as it really only gives you room for a single combination element. For example, using Corrosive in T1/2 void, vs dropping HCal and using Corrosive+Cold - far less damage to Ferrite, but it spreads it around and gives less of a damage difference against Alloy and shields.

The other comments about HCal I would agree with - if you get right up in an enemy's face or don't bother for headshots the accuracy loss is negligible. Really it's going to boil down to personal preference and gameplay style; I always say 'try it out and see if you like it'.

Hammer Shot is... less than amazing. The damage increase is only ~+20% per round, which is less than just about any other option. The added status can be nice, but even a +60%/60% elemental mod adds more damage than Hammer Shot - and more status%. It's not really ever a great choice.

If you're looking for higher damage efficiency, the answer is a third 90%, a 60/60%, or even a Bane mod. I prefer using the third 90% to target the enemies my primary 180% is not excellent against - for example I'll use 180% Corrosive for Infested, as it's particularly effective against Ancients and other heavy units, and also install 90% Fire (sometimes I use Wildfire) to add some extra damage against Chargers and the lesser Infested.

Edited by Darzk

I personally use a very similar build. Although I was able to use one less forma and can match all of your stats. I am able to easily headshot enemies from a descent distance. If you attempting to get headshots from a greater distance than my experiments included, you probably shouldn't be using the soma. 

The only thing to possibly change is add in shred of the punch through. Besides that, removing HC makes no sense mathematically. You will without a doubt benefit far more than you will suffer from the accuracy hit. 

If you are doing void, I would go corrosive or viral personally. Also, asking the opinions of random people online for what "works best" is not the best idea. Your asking for opinions, which hold no weight. Unless opinions are backed up mathematically, they are worthless in this topic.

I personally support your build other than the few changes mentioned above.

I personally use a very similar build. Although I was able to use one less forma and can match all of your stats. I am able to easily headshot enemies from a descent distance. If you attempting to get headshots from a greater distance than my experiments included, you probably shouldn't be using the soma. 

The only thing to possibly change is add in shred of the punch through. Besides that, removing HC makes no sense mathematically. You will without a doubt benefit far more than you will suffer from the accuracy hit. 

If you are doing void, I would go corrosive or viral personally. Also, asking the opinions of random people online for what "works best" is not the best idea. Your asking for opinions, which hold no weight. Unless opinions are backed up mathematically, they are worthless in this topic.

I personally support your build other than the few changes mentioned above.

Well, the mathemetically counted thing is that HC adds 26% of damage if compared to a +90% elemental mod, however it's in a cost of +55% spread. Basically, your chance to hit the target is multiplied by 0,45. 

Vile Acceleration is fine, it will give you higher DPS, Using shred is personal preference, Hammer Shot is weaker then using vile acceleration just to not use that much ammo. If you run ammo restores then this is no issue at all. Your build is fine, the only real questionable thing there is the 10/10 Heavy Caliber. If all you care about is spraying bullets then this is fine but if you want head shots I would suggest a 7/10 HC at is highest.

Vile Acceleration is fine, it will give you higher DPS, Using shred is personal preference, Hammer Shot is weaker then using vile acceleration just to not use that much ammo. If you run ammo restores then this is no issue at all. Your build is fine, the only real questionable thing there is the 10/10 Heavy Caliber. If all you care about is spraying bullets then this is fine but if you want head shots I would suggest a 7/10 HC at is highest.

Actually, shred will give you higher DPS most of the time.

Actually, shred will give you higher DPS most of the time.

No it will not.

With shred most is can give you is 27,835 burst DPS compared to vile accelerations 39,263 burst dps and 21,536 sustained DPS compared to Vile Acceleration 27,505 sustained DPS. Of course, that is all just raw damage not taking into account accuracy drop off of HC. Only time when shred is a better option is if you are going into missions where you expect enemies to come stacked or if you are really worried about the ammo economy. Otherwise for pure raw damage vile acceleration is better then either Speed Trigger, 3rd elemtal mod, Shred or Hammer Shot.

No it will not.

With shred most is can give you is 27,835 burst DPS compared to vile accelerations 39,263 burst dps and 21,536 sustained DPS compared to Vile Acceleration 27,505 sustained DPS. Of course, that is all just raw damage not taking into account accuracy drop off of HC. Only time when shred is a better option is if you are going into missions where you expect enemies to come stacked or if you are really worried about the ammo economy. Otherwise for pure raw damage vile acceleration is better then either Speed Trigger, 3rd elemtal mod, Shred or Hammer Shot.

DPS stands for the amount of damage you do per second, not the amount of damage you do to a single enemy per second.

DPS stands for the amount of damage you do per second, not the amount of damage you do to a single enemy per second.

Who says you don't use it to go kill single enemy? I take to kill bosses all the time. Warframe isn't about just firing rounds at a bunch of trash mobs.

Who says you don't use it to go kill single enemy? I take to kill bosses all the time. Warframe isn't about just firing rounds at a bunch of trash mobs.

There actually a couple of modes in this game called "survival" and "defense".  I am sure you'll play them eventually if you keep playing Warframe, as they make up the majority of the end game.  They are actually all about rapidly killing trash mobs.

There actually a couple of modes in this game called "survival" and "defense".  I am sure you'll play them eventually if you keep playing Warframe, as they make up the majority of the end game.  They are actually all about rapidly killing trash mobs.

If you are talking about end game how can you even bring up trash mobs as an example? But I guess if you are leaving in the first 20 minutes of the game I can understand your standard. May be you should try going a little higher and see how much faster you down a level 90+ bombard with your shred. 

Edited by S0V3REiGN

While i do agree that Vile Acceleration is the best for single-target damage, you need to consider something Sovereign: with 27k dps you're gonna melt anything in any non-endless mission in an instant. Only some of the bosses can stand it for a while.

All the missions where damage actually gets important are horde mode missions like defenses, survivals and interceptions. In those missions having a single bullet go through 2 humanoid enemies is a blessing, let alone for the fact that you can save ammo because bullet will also go through corpses.

Imho i would use Vile Acceleration for some assassination missions and nothing else. For everything else shred is much better. Also because in non endless missions enemies tend to take cover a lot more and shred is a blessing for that.