The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Asked To Play Again. Should I?

ToeSama

I have bitter memories of the game around the time I left. Vay Hek just came out, and between changes to grinding, drop rates being a mess one minute then fine the next then meh the minute after, and an overall lack of any sort of worthwhile progress being done to get the game shaped up in the direction I was hoping it would go, I quit playing for ages. The only frame I remember playing around the end with any regularity was Nekros because drops.

With update 17 rolled out recently, a friend is trying to get me back into playing. But I honestly have no idea if I should even give it a cursory try. I remember very little in the way of fun in the game, just grind, grind and more grind to make something in the foundry and then wait while it cooks by grinding some more to build something else that was a pain in the ! to grind because you had to go grind to grind it. Warfarm was the old insult thrown around, and I felt I had better things to do than waste my time with it when more grind is all that was being added.

So, to make a long story short, has the game actually become fun to play, or is it still the same old Warfarm I remember it being before I gave up on it? I don't want to just straight up tell my friend that I'm not coming back to even try it, but I don't want to come back to the same game with a shinier coat of paint either.

It's still (and always will be) Wait-farm, but the new parkour makes the 'farm' part more fun.

There's a nice feeling of accomplishment pulling off huge chains of bulletjump+wallhop combos.

Come back. Warframe's worth keeping on your drive, if only to hop in once a week.

Here is my suggestion to you. Come back- but DON'T GRIND. Grind is only grind if you let it be- grind is only a thing if you try to force yourself to get things as quickly as possible or decide you "have" to have something that you don't. Just go around, play the game, hang with friends, and have FUN and things will come to you naturally. If you cannot do that- then this game will feel like nothing but a massive grind wall to you. The "grind" in F2P games has to exist for developers to be able to make a profit, but warframe is a very rare example of a game where 99% of things are 100% free if you put in the time for it. Instead of focusing on putting in that time for that purpose- put in that time by trying out different frames, weapons, mods, gamemodes, tilesets, and playstyles. There's endless combinations of what you can do in this game. My #1 warning is AVOID the "farm nodes" like draco like they are the plague. I guarantee you will want to quit afterwards because it is not playing the game or having fun, it's sitting there half brain dead for resources.

I have bitter memories of the game around the time I left. Vay Hek just came out, and between changes to grinding, drop rates being a mess one minute then fine the next then meh the minute after, and an overall lack of any sort of worthwhile progress being done to get the game shaped up in the direction I was hoping it would go, I quit playing for ages. The only frame I remember playing around the end with any regularity was Nekros because drops.

While parkour is fun, and the new underwater tile-set is by far their best tile-set to date. Drop rates, both from enemies and in endless loot rotation are far worse than they were when you quit. Players were utilizing Hydroid to achieve a drop rate that was five times more effective than Nekros' desecrate. Even with 510% increased loot from enemies, it still took me eleven total hours in Ophelia( or twenty two 30m runs), to attain a single Ice Spring, I've yet to see the other mod that drops from there which is Toxic Step.

I've yet to see Ash Prime/Volt Prime/Nova Prime systems/chassis drop from T3S, and I've been doing T3S 40m at least four times a day. This game in its current state is the ultimate RNG grindwall.

Now if you enjoy endless dynasty warrior tier genocide, with no hope of progression due to RNG, then yes, this game is worth coming back to. If you don't well there is always Blade and Soul, at least they allow you to turn otherwise useless loot into loot than can help you progress.

The game's gotten worse, both grind-wise and RNG wise.

To bring up an example with the most recent update; the new frame Equinox requires 8 parts total to build, all from the same boss. 4 each for its two seperate "halves" that have 3 day build times each. THEN you can combine them which takes another 3 days. The boss fight and tileset its located on is a broken mess ontop of that and still hasn't been fixed.

A new quest that is only obtainable by RNG, yet prolly has the most story elements of any of them ever, as well as some actual intrigue. Locked behind a luck wall.

They added pets that are significantly worse than Sentinels yet take unreal amounts of maintenance, and can permadie on you. Losing any potatoes or forma you put on them if you were to do that sort of thing. 

The nice old starchart is replaced with an annoying ship, equipped with a terrible map and an NPC that spouts horrible dialogue every few minutes. You cannot turn the transmissions from him off either, only mute him. Still doesn't spare you the annoyance. He also gets in the way of the UI even after they moved him.

Syndicates are nothing like they were talked about to be years ago and instead are another grindwall for bandaid mods (their replacement for the "Focus" system they were gonna add) and a sidearm weapon. 

They completely gave up on Dark Sectors.

Space battles called "Archwing" that reuse assets from the ground missions and have a total of 3 different enemy models.

New movement system, Coptering's gone

Lotus coated herself in shoe shiner and now glows like the sun.

I can go on and on really. But my answer remains the same; no, you really shouldn't. 

Edited by Diarist

Nah warframe is still grind, true, if you can manage to get everything in the game, you're free to play whatever, who knows?

But warframe is still a grind, its still a luck-based game, it still requires a ton of effort to accomplish something.

It's still the same it has always been, all mostly horizontal progression and little to no vertical progression. Something they definitely still need to work on. Latest update had some much needed lore and story telling. Need many more quests to flush it out.

Edited by weezedog

From the way folks are talking, guess it's still the same old "make your own fun to make grind worth it" then... Pity. I honestly wanted to be wrong.

Well, thanks for your time folks. I'll let you guys get back to your business.

With update 17 rolled out recently, a friend is trying to get me back into playing. But I honestly have no idea if I should even give it a cursory try. I remember very little in the way of fun in the game, just grind, grind and more grind to make something in the foundry and then wait while it cooks by grinding some more to build something else that was a pain in the ! to grind because you had to go grind to grind it. Warfarm was the old insult thrown around, and I felt I had better things to do than waste my time with it when more grind is all that was being added.

So, to make a long story short, has the game actually become fun to play, or is it still the same old Warfarm I remember it being before I gave up on it? I don't want to just straight up tell my friend that I'm not coming back to even try it, but I don't want to come back to the same game with a shinier coat of paint either.

dont come back. seriously.