Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Weapons Will Never Be A Viable Option- Regardless Of How They Are Buffed

Jamescell

I don't really get this. Snipers would be just as viable as bows are if they had more damage. They currently work just the same as long as you're in low enough content to oneshot with both.

They way things are, if you gave snipers as much damage (and punchthrough) as bows, I'd still use bows because most snipers have too much zoom for the engagement ranges Warframe uses.

Soma one shots low level enemies. Tigris can one shot enemies up to level 50 in void T3 or T4 from what I've seen.

But the only way to balance this out is to nerf the shotguns back down to where they where. Then give them a slight damage boost. Odds are DE are not going to do that.

Idk what soma are you using then since lvl 50 lancer have around 1,5k hp nd lvl 50 heavy gunner got around 2.5k hp, both dmg numbers are achievable for soma.

With old paris prime i could oneshot lvl150 lancer with 50k hp, hek could probably oneshot 150lvl heavy gunner wth 100k hp if you got lucky with crits.

They way things are, if you gave snipers as much damage (and punchthrough) as bows, I'd still use bows because most snipers have too much zoom for the engagement ranges Warframe uses.

ya just give us snipers that zoom in like normal, and then an alt fire that uses the scope.

With that logic, you might as well have left Parkour and GP Mag alone because "it would never be viable".

Look, DE implemented these weapons in the first place. The game doesn't cater well towards sniping because that is not what the game is about, but that doesn't mean that we need to give up on variety and sniper rifles all together.

There are ways of fixing them that aren't flat out damage buffs, and with unique mechanics and a buff, and a steady stream of content that DE puts out, snipers will find their niche eventually.

The main problem is the encounter and level design. Sniper riffles are simple not meant to deal with huge hordes of enemies at close range. Like their name suggests, they are made for sniping. And I do not see a way to change that without turning those weapons into something that no longer qualifies as a sniper weapon.

What could be done is to make them a little more capable at dealing with groups of enemies (increasing clip size to 5-7 shells?) and maybe give them some utility functions (like piercing nullifier bubbles for example).

What about making sniper rifles ignore nulifier bubbles and arctic eximus globes ?

This could work and make snipers useful despite the level and encounter design usually working against them. Having at least one squad member with a sniper riffle to take care of nullifiers would be useful and thus giving snipers a much needed niche in high level void missions.

The main problem is the encounter and level design. Sniper riffles are simple not meant to deal with huge hordes of enemies at close range. Like their name suggests, they are made for sniping. And I do not see a way to change that without turning those weapons into something that no longer qualifies as a sniper weapon.

What could be done is to make them a little more capable at dealing with groups of enemies (increasing clip size to 5-7 shells?) and maybe give them some utility functions (like piercing nullifier bubbles for example).

Tbh snipers are perfectly capable of dealing with hordes, theyre my weapon of choice for payday 2.

In red solstice, horde survival game marksman with sniper is actually best dps.

IMO the best way to make snipers viable would be a mod, that would work as following:

If you kill someone with sniper riffle the "Overkill" dmg (dmg dealt above the enemy hp) will be dealt to next enemy standing to it (can work recursive).

This + dmg buff would make them good enough.

IMO the best way to make snipers viable would be a mod, that would work as following:

If you kill someone with sniper riffle the "Overkill" dmg (dmg dealt above the enemy hp) will be dealt to next enemy standing to it (can work recursive).

This + dmg buff would make them good enough.

I have been proposing a similar, but not equal, mechanic innate to all snipers:

Ricochet: a headshot would reflect a % of the damage towards the closest enemy (similar to an Atomos beam refraction).

Mods would increase the % damage propagated and the number or ricochets. 

Edited by -TP-BrazilianJoe

I think you will agree that sniper rifles have good performance Status and Critical hits. But I would like to have good critical damage. With a multiplier greater than 2. 

But this may cause some resentment(Oh God, rifles too strong! And no, the guy with Burston  killed them all faster)

You can do like shotguns, but Vice VERSA. To distance the damage of sniper weapons INCREASED. Or, (probably a heresy) sniper weapons do not lose accuracy. Even from Heavy Caliber.
Why not?

I think you will agree that sniper rifles have good performance Status and Critical hits. But I would like to have good critical damage. With a multiplier greater than 2. 

But this may cause some resentment(Oh God, rifles too strong! And no, the guy with Burston  killed them all faster)

You can do like shotguns, but Vice VERSA. To distance the damage of sniper weapons INCREASED. Or, (probably a heresy) sniper weapons do not lose accuracy. Even from Heavy Caliber.

Why not?

Because it doesn't make sense for snipers to do more damage from afar unless they have very specialized mechanics.

I don't mind our snipers not meeting the realistic requirements of a sniper role.

This game simply isn't suited for that, and I'd think Warframe would have to undergo quite an overhaul to help one weapon type meet its role.

Let's just buff them until it's the only weapon type people use, then start balancing from there.

Personally, I'd like a buff to Dead-Eye Aura. Instead of a plain damage increase, Dead-Eye should give snipers a major boost in critical chance+dmg, or a Status Chance+Duration boost.

"But what if a Cell of Tenno stack 4 of those together!? That'd be OP!!!"

Fellow Tenno, there are other things that hit an OP level which snipers would never reach, and I would place some Plat that snipers would still fail to be the top killers with this Dead-Eye modification.

If worst comes to worst, DE can just modify DE (lol) so that it doesn't stack more than three times, two times, or at all.

I think I should say this.

If people can Opticor, they can sniper rifles.

My personal opinion is that sniper rifles should either have more 'impact' (no, I don't mean Impact damage) behind each shot in order to rival the purposes of rifles, or more needs to be done about sniper mods.