The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Volt Prime Good?

UndeadJed

Question

Volt prime is definitely a caster frame. He has the highest base energy in the game so try to make use of it. He is great at stunning groups of enemies with electric procs from his first and fourth abilities. His second ability speeds movement and melee and is perfect for speedrunning certain mission type. His 3rd creates an indestructible energy shield for a short time that boosts your damage and Crits. Defensively he is a bit weaker and relies heavily on his higher than average shields. Hope this info helps

Edited by Omega-Shadowblade

Volt prime is definitely a caster frame. He has the highest base energy in the game so try to make use of it. He is great at stunning groups of enemies with electric procs from his first and fourth abilities. His second ability speeds movement and melee and is perfect for speedrunning certain mission type. His 3rd creates an indestructible energy shield for a short time that boosts your damage and Crits. Defensively he is a bit weaker and relies heavily on his higher than average shields. Hope this info helps

It certainly helped me, thank you.

I think he is good, and he's skill set will probably get tweaked (it was said in devstream #58) so his ult might actually become less situational ;)

On top of that, his design is cool.

Next Frame Re-Work

• Valkyr and Saryn are in progress
There are some ideas for a Volt re-work as well

it's Volt, with a giant Energy Pool. if you like Volt, this is Volt plus more.

Shock is always available stunning.

Speed... is nice if you like going fast. useful for Melee. i can't really stand the FoV adjustment and other crap that comes along with casting it though.

Electric Shield is superb.

Overload is a Radial version of Shock for all intents and purposes.

Personally, I love having a Melee Volt build. High strength, high duration, a good melee weapon... turns anything into a blender. Having a Valkyr with you helps, but it's not necessary to reach ludicrous speed. Shocking Speed is good for killing weak enemies and stunning strong ones for melee shredding. It's a bit Glass Battleaxe, though, because Volt is squishy. So... hope you brought a friend who can revive.

Volt is all about Utility/Tactician work.

-His shields are very useful for both defense and offense.

-Speed is great for getting up close to smack someone or getting out of a crowd quickly- or just going through missions fast.

-Shock is a fist full of lightning on demand for small CC while you reload.

-Overload is a good emergency button. It has a bit of a lag so it's best to cast a shield and hide behind it if you can, but it'll stun the whole room for a couple of seconds, giving your team and any defense objective some breathing room- it's also great for damage on the first time you use it, and any time there are tightly bunched enemies.

His armor/energy buffs are both really great. Energy lets volt keep casting nonstop, and his armor is respectable enough to actually block some damage when or if your shields go down. I personally really like his capacitance (overload) augment. It lets you give yourself- and your team if close enough- overshields while at the same time stunning enemies for a couple of seconds. It's a great way to keep a team alive.

you can use volt in two ways: 

pure support, especially with the augments for his 1st and 2nd abilities. build for duration and a bit of power. this way you have:

shock as a great and quick stun move that you don't really have to aim for, and you can buff teammates with it. something around +130% damage for 84 seconds. 

speed is great as a speedrunning tool, and with the augment you also stun enemies as you pass by, and the shock circle isn't affected by range, which goes great with the duration build. 

electric shield, oh god. a 60 second barrier that also helps you deal more damage. need to hold a point, or to revive someone? this is your best friend. 

overload suffers because of range limitations, but since you usually keep moving with this build, it's still a viable move to stun a large amount of enemies.

the other way I use volt is my overload spamming build. pure efficency, you can screw duration, duration is great, power is also nice. the augment for his 4th ability is really nice with this one. 

shock keeps stunning enemies, but this time you have quite a bit of range. can come in handy. 

speed gets screwed over. you can use for short bursts of speed, but not that useful. 

electric shield becomes a 5 seconds deployable cover that costs very little to use. 

overload goes from a nice stun to enemies around you to a big area in which enemies just throw their hands into the air like they just don't care you shooting them. with the augment you also get overshields for it, and who doesn't like overshield.

volt = bad, idc what u people say hes bad in my opinion, hes lacking a certain uniqueness in his kit, for one thing, hes supposed to b a "mobile" frame, and yet i find myself huddled behind a shield like wtf, atleast make it mobile too! Sure he stuns, thats it...u got SO MANY other frames who can CC and provide something else to the table.

Rhino for instance, massive slow + MASSIVE damage boost, and before u say "oh volts shield adds damage + crit" , i understand that, but volts shield only adds the base damage of the weapon your using + some crit at a fixed rate and cannot be increased, while rhino's roar can SCALE off your power AND the TOTAL damage of your weapon (including mods, correct me if im wrong), and lets be honest, what rhino wouldnt build power right? (i pray u rhinos do)

Frost provides MASSIVE CC + SHIELD which pretty much outclasses Volt already, he may not give u damage but his defensive abilities make him #1 in my opinion, not to mention super slow and a possible chance of freezing upon entering the globe if augmented

And lastly, Volt's 4 is PATHETIC, aside form minor CC its just PATHETIC after the first cast...damage is even PATHETIC with the first cast not to mention you're pretty much vulnerable as heck while casting it, freaking horrendous, you'd think a skill that puts u at such a great risk would be amazing as heck. 

my point to u my friend is, Volt is only a second rate frame, not good in anything. You'll find that if you're using a second rate frame, hardly anyone will use u. i have Volt prime and hes just sitting in my bank collecting dust because he is so bad i regret even building him, much rather sold him when he was still worth something. If you're aiming for end game contents you'd best go for some other frame, i dont ever use volt on any mission higher than tier 2. He's just so bad, 0 survivability unless u camp at a corner, how is that supposed to be mobile? For damage boost support, banshee/rhino/nova, for defense frost maybe sometimes limbo, for damage, mesa/ excal, for solo best ones in my opinion r loki, rhino, ashe, and valkyr.

Edited by chamonglee

Volt Prime is awesome, and he looks so gorgeous.  Basically if you like Volt and you will like the prime version even better with his giant energy pool.  His abilities don't directly kill enemies, but he is very useful in most situations and provide support for everybody.  I use all his abilities regularly, unlike some frames like Saryn or Nova, and while they don't synergize as well compared to, say, the reworked Excalibur, his abilities are all useful.  I do admit his overload is a bit underwhelming as an ultimate, but it works well for crowd control.  Hopefully overload's damage will be addressed when Volt is reworked.

Shock is great for crowd control.  It's cheap, it's fast, and you don't need precise aiming to hit a bunch of enemies.  You can reload your gun and cast shock.  I spam it all the time when I'm reloading my gun or when I jump into a big crowd.

Speed is wonderful.  Not only it makes you and your teammates go fast, it increase your melee attack speed so if you like melee, you should use his speed all the time.  Combine speed with melee weapons with high crit and high attack speed + berserker for maximum hilarity.  Volt's speed + Valkyr's warcry is match made in heaven if you're into fast melee.  I love to use Shocking Speed augment mod so I can stun enemies around me while I'm busy stabbing them to death.

I find shield is useful both defensively and offensively.   Sure, most people use it for defense or mobile defense, but it's also great to have an instant shield when you have tons of enemies (or bombard) shooting at you.  You won't have to worry it disappear suddenly because it doesn't have hit points.  Unlike Frost's snow globe, you don't have to worry about the shield blocking your shots if the enemies enter the shield.  Like others said, many weapons can benefit from the + electric damage and extended range by shooting through the shield, and some work better with the shield.   Weapon that shoots through shield gets additional 50% electric damage + crit multiples by 200%, but do you know that if you shoot through multiple shields, you get additional electric damage.  For example shooting through 3 shields get additional 150% electric damage.   Electric damage also combines with elements from the gun.  Therefore, you can get corrosive by shooting a gun with toxic damage through the shield, etc.  With Volt Prime's huge energy pool, you can spam shield so you still can be mobile.

Like I said, overload is pretty underwhelming as press 4 to kill all ultimate, but it isn't completely useless.  It's great as crowd control, and combine with the Capacitance augment mod to give overshield to you and your teammates.

my point to u my friend is, Volt is only a second rate frame, not good in anything. You'll find that if you're using a second rate frame, hardly anyone will use u. i have Volt prime and hes just sitting in my bank collecting dust because he is so bad i regret even building him, much rather sold him when he was still worth something. If you're aiming for end game contents you'd best go for some other frame, i dont ever use volt on any mission higher than tier 2. He's just so bad, 0 survivability unless u camp at a corner, how is that supposed to be mobile? For damage boost support, banshee/rhino/nova, for defense frost maybe sometimes limbo, for damage, mesa/ excal, for solo best ones in my opinion r loki, rhino, ashe, and valkyr.

You don't see a lot of Volt players because many of them don't really know how to play him well.  He is a very good frame for solo and team play.  I find his abilities are very useful for the whole team, and you can't be a selfish player if you play Volt.  Sure, Rhino can be good for damage boosting, but how many times have you seen players actually use his roar regularly?  You almost never see Banshee players which is too bad.  I agree that Nova is a good frame to have, but she is also very squishy and, other than molecular prime, her other three abilities aren't that useful.  Frost is still great for defense but at least he can deal damage now so he's not just a snow globe generator now.  Limbo is a hard frame to play well so I almost always cringe if I see Limbo on my team.  Mesa or Saryn using her 4 is too boring for the rest of us.  I love Excalibur, and he is great for solo and team play so he's actually another frame I use regularly for almost all situations.  Loki, Rhino, Ash, and Valkyr are good for soloing, I agree, but you can pretty much use any of the other frames for solo.  I find that many people (note, I didn't say all) who main those frames tend to be pretty selfish players.  Too many Lokis go invis all the time instead of disarm.  Rhinos don't roar or stomp enough.  I actually don't see too many Ash so I don't have strong opinions about him, and I liked him enough when I was leveling him.  Valkyr use her 4 and don't do enough warcry, but that doesn't bother me too much because I don't melee all the time anyway.

Volt isn't the perfect frame, but he is definitely not a second rate frame.  I think his abilities are very balanced, compared to other frames, and with the upcoming rework I hope some of his issues will be address.

Volt isn't the perfect frame, but he is definitely not a second rate frame.  I think his abilities are very balanced, compared to other frames, and with the upcoming rework I hope some of his issues will be address.

He is second rate because anything he can do, others can do better and he requires too much extra work compared to other frames, you want defense? You have frost. You want cc? You have nearly EVERY frame for that, you want damage? You have rhino, nova or banshee. I find he needs too much extra work to be viable and playing him has extra risks, you dont see him being played selfishly because playing him selfishly would result in you dying while other frames dont bring that much risks. He just requires too much extra work to keep up with other frames

Edited by chamonglee

Fun, great niche frame for exterminates or captures, but lacking for many other roles. Nobody uses him for any endless missions, raid missions except as an oddity, lacks good damage and CC. So...... yeah. 

I still use him a lot for his niche abilities, and Shocking Speed still makes me laugh with glee. He certainly can be fun. Just with limitations, but many frames fit that description. Mag, Ember, Rhino, Mirage, etc. 

Ignore the haters, Volt is absolutely viable at all stages of the game (I know, because I've played him at all stages). You will never be "star of the show" with him, but a good Volt player is a strong utility addition to any team. Just be prepared to be doing a lot of work for everyone else's glory rather than your own.

He is second rate because anything he can do, others can do better and he requires too much extra work compared to other frames, you want defense? You have frost. You want cc? You have nearly EVERY frame for that, you want damage? You have rhino, nova or banshee. I find he needs too much extra work to be viable and playing him has extra risks, you dont see him being played selfishly because playing him selfishly would result in you dying while other frames dont bring that much risks. He just requires too much extra work to keep up with other frames

I guess what you mean when you said he requires too much extra work is that you can't press one button to win.  Sure, I agree with you that there are other frames that can do things better than Volt, but he is a great generalist.  Being a generalist does not mean second rate, and for the OP who seems to be a beginner, I think having a generalist frame would be very useful going through the solar map.  I find a Volt player who uses all his abilities is a great asset to the team.  I certainly don't have trouble dying with Volt and I don't even use Quick Thinking in my build because I use his abilities defensively as well as offensively.  It's ok if Volt doesn't fit your play style, but don't say that he's second rate just because you don't use his powers to their fullest.

Volt is like the flash and electro rolled up in one.  Whats not to love.

If you are looking to have the most kills and damage in each misssion he may not be your choice (although he packs a punch when properly modded), but he is a great utility frame.

In my opinion a player would be foolish not to try him out.

I guess what you mean when you said he requires too much extra work is that you can't press one button to win.  Sure, I agree with you that there are other frames that can do things better than Volt, but he is a great generalist.  Being a generalist does not mean second rate, and for the OP who seems to be a beginner, I think having a generalist frame would be very useful going through the solar map.  I find a Volt player who uses all his abilities is a great asset to the team.  I certainly don't have trouble dying with Volt and I don't even use Quick Thinking in my build because I use his abilities defensively as well as offensively.  It's ok if Volt doesn't fit your play style, but don't say that he's second rate just because you don't use his powers to their fullest.

My point is, his kit is horrible, he brings nothing to the table except a squishy frame whose mobility offers no sense of survival unless u camp with your shield, which then u might as well be playing others. Hes second rate because his role is better carried out by other frames. If hes not second rate meaning hes never going to be top tier, then where does he fall on? Do you mind telling me if theres ANYTHING he can do that other frames cant do better? Its so sad to see that a frame designed to be the BEST at handling CORPUS, cant even hold his end as well as an excalibur, even though he was supposed  to SHINE the most when facing corpus. If he cant even shine while handling what hes supposed to be best at, where can he shine?

Fun? Sure. Good? NOPE. Theres a reason you dont see many Volt's in the game. NEVER have i seen a T4 void Defense looking for "VOLT" players, heck id even laugh, your 4 shield = 1 Frost shield, heck if Frost casted his shield 4x (it stacks in HP, unless they tweaked it during his rework) then it will last longer than ANY MAX DURATION VOLT SHIELD and that shield is pretty much the only thing i see thats good about a Volt. I can probably move around faster with other frames than a volt speed boost.

My point is, his kit is horrible, he brings nothing to the table except a squishy frame whose mobility offers no sense of survival unless u camp with your shield, which then u might as well be playing others. Hes second rate because his role is better carried out by other frames. If hes not second rate meaning hes never going to be top tier, then where does he fall on? Do you mind telling me if theres ANYTHING he can do that other frames cant do better? Its so sad to see that a frame designed to be the BEST at handling CORPUS, cant even hold his end as well as an excalibur, even though he was supposed  to SHINE the most when facing corpus. If he cant even shine while handling what hes supposed to be best at, where can he shine?

Fun? Sure. Good? NOPE. Theres a reason you dont see many Volt's in the game. NEVER have i seen a T4 void Defense looking for "VOLT" players, heck id even laugh, your 4 shield = 1 Frost shield, heck if Frost casted his shield 4x (it stacks in HP, unless they tweaked it during his rework) then it will last longer than ANY MAX DURATION VOLT SHIELD and that shield is pretty much the only thing i see thats good about a Volt. I can probably move around faster with other frames than a volt speed boost.

Look, his kit is horrible...

IF you are using him as a pure offense/defence warframe. That is not what volt is. If you use any frame for a purpose for which they are not designed, then they will be bad, no matter their kit. Volt is a mix of different skills that makes him good for any situation.

Shock - Much more effective than any frame at stun-locking enemies for a cheap price and is quite spammable. It IS NOT a damage ability, unless you mod for it. It is a pure stunlock, and designed for stunning large groups of enemies quickly.

Speed - Easily outclasses all other buff abilities, for it's pure speedrunning utility, and the increased melee makes it very useful in fast paced capture or exterminates. And with efficiency, quite spammable.

Shield - Arguably Volt's most useful ability, it is pretty much just instant cover in any situation. Comparing it to Snow-globe is unfair, as they are, believe it or not, very different. I've used both Frost and Volt (and loved both), and Snow Globe is designed for long survival or defence/MD missions, where you need a hard, durable mobile bunker to hide under when things get tough. It is pure defence. Electric Shield on the other hand sacrifices the sheer defensive capability of Snow Globe for a more offensive role. As you probably know, any shot fired through the shield gains extra electricity damage, which means that when facing a horde of enemies, just plop this shield down, watch it deflect even the most determined assault, and then fire through it to deal massive damage. Better yet, the electricity bonus can combine with preexisting procs to create new ones (ie, firing a weapon with toxin damage will make it deal corrosive). Thus, it isn't really fair to compare it to Snow-Globe, as they are very different. 

Overload - I do agree that this is a bit lackluster, but in Devstream 58 they mentioned that they were reqorking it and the other abilities, so I am hopeful that they'll pull off another Frost-class rework. :)

All in all, just accept that there are other master races in warframe, and that no warframe is, in reality, second-rate. Some may take a bit more getting used to than others, but in the end it only makes them more fun to play with. Not every warframe needs to be a high proc, gigantic CC AOE killer. Use it right, and every warframe is deadly. And I don't see how he is squishy (at least the prime). He has decent armour, high shields, and a respectable amount of health. I can work with that, and with mods it only gets better.

Edited by PrVonTuckIII

solo frame =/= bad frame.

other frames need to carried, or i'd say fit in a composition, not volt. he does a little bit of everything, like zephyr. (both frames seem to be unpopular for this reason) sure, when you have a 4man squad, volt has no role that other frames can't do better - this is the reason why people don't recruit volt players

you seem obsessed with frost, i agree that he is one of the most OP frames especially after his rework. but, he lacks damage. volt has defense, and damage boost (which was the best in the game before nerfed to the ground - i agree that it is now somewhat lacking)

also there was the limbo synergy, which got removed - devs seem to hate him, but they promised a rework, so we'll see

plus, if not solo, in a 2-men squad you still have no place for a frame entirely for defense - volt can for example defend a nekros/hydroid

p.s.: minus points for the volt profile icon :-/