Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Do You Think About The Current Mod System?

GhostShip20

I started trying out various augment mods to see how I can increase utility of my Warframes and while doing so, I came to realize that we are getting more and more mods, many of which are very useful, yet due to the limited amount of slots and mod capacity despite the recently added Exilus slot, we still face a problem regarding modding our Warframes efficiently. Of course there are people who are going to min/max their Warframes and those who will simply increase every stat without the use of corrupted mods or try to find ways to utilize all or some of the augment mods.

However, the point is, the current mod system just feels restrictive despite DE making Warframe abilities unlock as you level up your Warframe and giving 2 free slots to add two more mods and an Exilus slot for an extra touch to the quality of life in Warframe.

The more I think about it, the more it seems to make sense to instead use a skill tree system and convert many of these mods into perks that unlock as you level up your Warframe. I am thinking something alone the lines of the skill tree system currently available in Star Wars The Old Republic. Of course there are abilities that you unlock via the skill tree and gain certain perks, but the "bread and butter" abilities are unlocked in a different way via trainers.

I am thinking that the syndicates would actually make perfect trainers which will allow us to do two things:

First, we will obviously unlock our main four abilities the way we do now, however, via the syndicates, we will be able to gain additional perks under the augment category.

Second of all, this will actually give access to possibly various styles of gameplay, depending on what interests the player the most. Going back to Star Wars The Old Republic, there are three sets of skills and perks in general; Tank, Damage, and Healer but depending on what class you are playing and the sub-class as well, there will be few alterations regarding the overall gameplay such as going as the bounty hunter class which leads to the mercenary and powertech classes.

In fact, this might actually end up removing the mod capacity thing overall and instead allow even more diverse builds to happen. Of course such a system will completely change a large part of the core of Warframe, however, in the long run it should actually make things better. I believe if I am not mistaken since I have not been in Warframe before Update 8, but there was something along the lines of a skill tree mixed in with a mod system. Perhaps, DE could actually revisit that and maybe change it into something of what I have mentioned.

Of course this is only a suggestion, but seeing as how DE has begun to change much of the core of Warframe such as Parkour 2.0 and soon to be solar system 3.0, it might actually be a good idea to do something with the current mod system.

Side note: I hope somebody from DE sees this.

That is such a constructive criticism Dumfing. I even wonder if you read the whole thing or not or even bothered to do some research before saying "no".

Basically you want every frame to have three classes with their own subclasses with a skill tree for each class and subclass as well as two< augments for each?

No that is not what I meant. There will be one skill tree, that when you progress through it, will unlock perks for your Warframe that you can use via the syndicates. So basically, these perks will act as the augmentation mods plus give additional bonuses.

Edited by GhostShip20

I like mods. I think the biggest problem with current mod system is just that a lot of mods are garbage and need to be rebalanced. It's always about balancing choices anyways, sometimes the choices feel a bit limited given your space, but it's always possible to use any mod you're just sacrificing other stuff to make it work. Efficiency aside, all powers caaan at least sort of function with base values even if they're a lot better with proper stats, which ultimately leaves you a lot of slot choices. 

As far as augments specifically, I dunno, maybe the ability to change powers without using up slots could be nice, maybe not. Augments will be too consuming if they start making more than one for each ability though, since at that point it'd be at best lead to having 4 augments you want to have on a frame at any given time, and a lot of slots taken up. Til then though, the only one who reaaally suffers from augments taking up slots is Nekros, and you can make him pretty usable even so.

The modding system is one of the core features of the game that made me stay due to its uniqueness. Its one of those gameplay features that makes warframe what it is.

So a big no. Anything progressive leveling with generic perks and skill trees is not what this game needs.

Look at what happened to Firefall.

The only issue I see with the current mod system is that 95% of them never get used. Most are just there just for the sake of dilluting droptables. I think cleaning up and removing a lot of unnecessary mods will be enough to make it better.

I don't mind the mod system. Honestly, managing it with all of the duplicates and organizing it are the biggest issues for me. What I would like to see however is something for the augment mods. These mods are supposed to highlight your frames abilities, but they almost always get passed over for other mods that are deemed more useful. Personally, I would just like to see another slot like the Exlius slot added, but for augments only. So you can never change the polarity or put anything in it other than an augment mod.

For the record, I never liked skill trees because it is "forced" progression to a tree.

There is no true freedom in customization.

If you going down deep that tree, you have to take in the stuff and trade offs you don't like in that tree.

The mod system does allow complete freedom in the sense of the word.

Bad new is min maxing becomes easier to attain, since everyone just need one set of mods and be done with it.

That is where DE comes in and needs to make useless mods more useful.

Also back in the day before there were auras, people had to spend on average 4 to 6 forma to cap out the potential of a frame.

Then auras appeared and people got lazy.

Exilus slots forcing people to forma another 2 to 3 more times is a the right way to go.

Edited by fatpig84

In general, mod system is great and provides a lot of freedom and customization. However, current mod system is utterly garbage, especially for weapons.

Modpool consists of too many useless mods, what leads to very limited amount of valuable builds. Enemyscaling is broken, so we need more dmg and as result shot rainbow bullets making customization just a myth.

There are not enough mods, which change playstyle for a positiv experience, either because the mechanics are broken or the effect is just weak. I am looking at you U17 mods, not using even one of them.

I think it would be hard to have the dps healer tank roles, most of the people i get queued with are playing frames with more dps capability then healing and i feel like there is no way to agro a boss or group of enemies so there is really no way to successfully tank. If they added a better agro system then i would enjoy a mod system more like a skill tree then the current one oh and there is one thing they should do with the mod system and that is getting rid of all of the useless mods it just clutters my stuff  

The only issue I see with the current mod system is that 95% of them never get used. Most are just there just for the sake of dilluting droptables. I think cleaning up and removing a lot of unnecessary mods will be enough to make it better.

I would hate to see mods deleted from the game, but you are correct. There are so many mods that are unusable when compared to the benefits of other mods.

It would be nice if we can make additional upgrades to our Warframes. Imagine if those augment mods were already incorporated into the abilities themselves without the need for an actual mod. To gain access to them, you would simply click on the ability and see what kind of secondary upgrades/perks it has and use an upgrade point or something to either unlock that perk or increase its effectivness.

As for the skill tree, it will have upgrades that will allow you to decide if for example you want your Valkyr to be more tank-oriented or support-oriented which will perhaps give some alterations to how the abilities will work. Furthermore, you can mix and match perks from various skill trees of the same Warframe if you choose to.

This was possible with the previous version of the skill tree in Star Wars The Old Republic. Now, depending what class and sub-class you play, the game right away gives you the exact things you will need. Basically, the developers hand-picked the most necessary upgrades and skills that you will need and on the side, there are additional perks to unlock to make various builds.

So basically you have the main skill tree with an additional upgrades/perks system on the side. This can be considered as modding in a sense. If you played Star Wars The Old Republic, you will understand what I am trying to say. It also gives a sense of progression from level 10 (when you can choose your sub-class) to level 60.

The enemies are getting stronger but our capabilities are becoming more and more out-dated unless you literally spend countless forma just to get a small boost. They are evolving. I mean take a look at the Eximus units. Their abilities are in fact better than what our Warframes can offer. It is time we evolve. Who knows how those Sentients will turn out to be. Next thing you know, that 5 forma'd Tigris or Nova Prime, Rhino, or any other Warframe you have will barely do anything.

Furthermore, I am not saying to get rid of the mod system completely, but it needs some rework.

Edited by GhostShip20

Augment mods I feel will become more of a selection thing in the distant future, when each ability on every frame is multiple augments.  Think skill runes in Diablo III.  Right now however, there just aren't enough augments to warrant much of a separate selection away from the current 8 mod slots.

I feel for Warframes, the modding system is fine.  There are many desirable mods for use by Tenno.  Excluding building for deep endless modes where CC is king, many Warframe mods are very effective.  Anti-knock downs and knock down recoveries, movement speed, raw health and shielding, even damage reflection via parry.  Sure, there are a few truly useless mods (intruder and warm coat come to mind) but among all the categories, Warframes have by far the best selection of mods.

Weapons are a whole other matter though.  I went separating out the damage mods from the utilities.  Turns out there are more damage mods than utility mods, easy.  Hell, there are barely more than enough to fill a weapon entirely with utility mods that aren't redundant (nightmare/corrupted on top of normals)  While I find mods like split chamber and serration to be pointless to have as options at all due to their nature unless you want to gimp your weapons (which I do... but there should be a better method for that.)  Of course if there is an exclusive slot for mods like serration and split chamber, and only ONE could be equipped at a time, things might change.  Until then though, chances are, even building primarily for utility, you'll feel pressed to use a damage mod just to fill that last slot.  And because the status mods like rifle aptitude are too weak to even consider.

Edited by Littleman88

For the record, I never liked skill trees because it is "forced" progression to a tree.

There is no true freedom in customization.

Agree, skill trees give the illusion of choice, but it's really not as choices are always limited.

Look at Borderlands, you get the "choice" and you can mix and match a bit but really you are just choosing to be one of 3 sub characters.  Path of Exile was worse with a skill tree so expansive in scope, but still limited in paths it was eye watering in it's badness.

While there are the min/max, "meta", etc builds in Warframe it's PvE so who cares.  You still can and many do run specific builds that THEY like and their play style lends itself too.

Skill tree would be a step back, a QoL reduction.  Mod system is fun and unique, it should stay.