Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Thoughts On Destiny: The Taken King.

TheErebus.

Note: Please come into this with an open-mind.

So after playing The Taken King in it's entirety (at least what it offers me), I can gladly say that I had a lot of fun playing it.

Let's start off with the story missions. No more "wait for Nolanbot to scan something", the missions have nice variety to them and also have some interesting tricks up their sleeve. Fighting the new enemies didn't feel that new but they all do have interesting abilities that differentiate them from their non-taken enemies. 

Example: Taken Psion can duplicate themselves to form two new Psions and Taken Captains can launch a sphere of Darkness which blinds you (<-- this was the most annoying part of the Taken King). 

There's even a stealth section. Yes, a stealth section. It doesn't last that long but it was enjoyable. 

Also the cutscenes in this are really good, like the opening cinematic made me kinda feel a bit sad. The characters who are focused in the DLC are fleshed out quite well and I've grown to like these characters (Especially Cayde-6). The bosses for the DLC range from "meh" to "OH WHAT IS HAPPENING".

The Hunter subclass is quite fun to use, but I can only really see it being useful in PvE. What it essentially does is summon a bow and arrow that chains enemies together, slowing them down and damaging them in the process. It groups them together so that your team can wipe them all out in one go.

The designs for practically everything new in the game are just phenomenal. I love the design of EVERYTHING.

JUST LOOK AT MY HUNTER

1170505166bc093e9e762b01f9ac923b.png 

Ok, so my gripe starts with the Legendary Marks. They suck. Now instead of getting the marks you need from the occasional Strike and/or crucible, it's all joined together via Legendary marks. These marks are only gained via:

Breaking down year 2 legendary gear

Doing Heroic strikes (which require a light level of 260)

Doing the daily strikes/story/crucible missions.

My issue with this, is that now you get Legendary Marks at a snail's pace, whilst before you could get them at a decent rate. Heroic strikes earn you 10 Legendary marks, but again, you need a light level of 260. It'd be much better if the second tier of Strike missions allowed you get at least 5 legendary marks.

The raid has not yet come out yet, but I already plan on doing it with a fellow Warframe player this friday.

If anyone wants to join in on the PS4, add me. 

PSN: lozer-32

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

Nice re-view. Glad to hear it's doing a good job holding your interest. I played Destiny for a bit, but unfortunately fell out of touch with it. Not for any reason in particular - it still sounds like a fun game, and it's always on my "someday I'm gonna get back into that" list. This post bumps it up maybe a space or two on that list XD

The only bad thing about the expansion is how it's locked out players who don't buy it from doing things like nightfalls. Also maybe tying defense to class items, that's pretty crap.

The rest of it was worth it though. Story is cool, gear is cool, new location is cool. Just when i think I've done all the story and quests I keep getting new ones in new missions. Stormcaller is amazing and taken captains make me want to cry.

People keep saying adding the new content in the update then making people pay for it is shady, but I dunno. It's an expansion. You pay for expansions. Diablo 3 did the same thing with Reaper of Souls by adding it in to the base game.

All we need now is for Bungie to make more of this, but to not crap on players.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

all i can wonder is, are Boss class Enemies in said Expansion more interesting than their previous counterparts? or... is it:

[Enemy Name]

[__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Health Bar__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________]

all i can wonder is, are Boss class Enemies in said Expansion more interesting than their previous counterparts? or... is it:

[Enemy Name]

[__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Health Bar__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________]

Kinda sorta.

Some bosses act much more differently depending on their health left. For one boss, the lower his health is, the more aggressive he becomes. He charges at you and wont stop 'till you're dead.

The final boss is meh. I feel like his Raid counterpart will be far more interesting.

The strike bosses are different though, they all have phases. The S.A.B.E.R. boss has three phases which differ in how it works. 

Edited by TheSpookyGhost

I'm not removing my cape. I don't care how much more defense I get, this cape is my child.

I wore the 3 Defense PoE Kellhunter's Cloak until I got (I mean, have yet to get..) the better 170 defense version like my Warlock's Dread's Enmity... HAH, funny enough, a Level 1 Titan can wear the PoE special mark because of said 3 defense. xD

I hope Bungie at least puts in an upgrading system if not removes Ghost/Class Item stats.

Edited by WingedCrusade

[Enemy Name]

They're better.

You still have the yellow bar versions of mobs, but bosses actually have phases, something I never expected from Bungie.

The Hunter subclass is quite fun to use, but I can only really see it being useful in PvE

Oh my poor misguided child

You take that bow into mayhem right now

Edited by AdunSaveMe

They're better.

You still have the yellow bar versions of mobs, but bosses actually have phases, something I never expected from Bungie.

Funny moment:

I was doing the Shield Brother strike with a team for the first time.

We get to the final phase, and I die from the melee boss. 

So then my teammate comes in and revives me...with the melee boss right behind him.

He revives me and walks off and the melee boss lands a direct hit on me which kills me AGAIN.

It was fun.

if they actually challenge you in the methods they act, rather than just having a Health Bar longer than the number of months since the dawn of time - yay. some progress.

They do. The Shield Brother strike has you fight two of them at once at the end and one acts as the long range and the other is melee. You need to carefully move around and work as a team to kill them.

They do. The Shield Brother strike has you fight two of them at once at the end and one acts as the long range and the other is melee. You need to carefully move around and work as a team to kill them.

hm, that sounds suspiciously similar to Boom and Bewm.

though i'm sure that basic concept isn't exactly new, very little in basic concepts hasn't been explored already.

not a complaint, mind you.

if they actually challenge you in the methods they act, rather than just having a Health Bar longer than the number of months since the dawn of time - yay. some progress.

They are somewhat challenging, but there's a lot of frustration.

In fact there's one particular mission on a bunch of high platforms. You're surrounded by enemies and have to kill a boss, but half of those enemies are either captains (which teleport towards you and can spam an aoe blinding missile) or phalanxes (which can BLAST YOU OFF CLIFFS).

This expansion was and is worth it. Year 1 was an absolute failure, but this makes the game somewhat promising.