The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Does The Asinine "leave People Hanging On Defense Missions" Mechanic Still Exist?

(PSN)Zeylon

To be clear, I'm referring to when you're on a defense mission, and people decide to "pretend" to be staying between waves and then leave at the last possible second (bonus points for forcing a host migration that can insta-fail the mission before the people load in... which is a separate and compounding problem).

This has been the case since the game launched on the PS4 at least.  Why has this still not been addressed?  I've seen people suggest fixes as long as I've been on the forums as well.

It should've been fixed long before any of the affinity farming crap that got hotfixes, if nothing else.

I think the fix would be to allow 5 more seconds every time someone extracts, or to give an option to extract with the rest of your squad after someone has.

I agree that the initial problem is still that of the human type.

Because there is no fix that doesn't cause more problems or can't be avoided.

I disagree.  For one, the "automatically start the round /w everyone if all players select to continue" idea would keep a single player from getting the impression everyone else was staying.  Please explain to me what problem that idea causes...

I disagree.  For one, the "automatically start the round /w everyone if all players select to continue" idea would keep a single player from getting the impression everyone else was staying.  Please explain to me what problem that idea causes...

>don't select either

>switch to leave when the counter hits 1

Problem not solved

>don't select either

>switch to leave when the counter hits 1

Problem not solved

If someone selects neither, the player doesn't necessarily have the impression that person is *going* to stay.  That's a separate issue.  Having the round start if everyone selects solves the specific problem of a player getting "baited" to stay by the impression that others are staying.

If someone selects neither, the player doesn't necessarily have the impression that person is *going* to stay.  That's a separate issue.  Having the round start if everyone selects solves the specific problem of a player getting "baited" to stay by the impression that others are staying.

Barely. Baiting people into staying isn't the sole issue.

It's never really been that complicated. If someone extracts, everyone left has 5-10 seconds to choose again if they want to fight or leave.

Done.

The only issue there's ever been with fixing this problem is with recoding the game mode to allow for such a change.

The addition of some extra time would be nice, as would the cession of a countdown once all players chose to stay or go.

Thirdly, making a hard limit of how often in so many secons one can switch from 'Keep going' and 'Extract' would also be nice as watching a person go back and forth can be part of the problem as well. Or just annoying..

I've always liked the idea of if someone extracts in the last second or two then a new extraction timer (maybe with half the time) is started for the remaining players on whether they wish to extract or continue on without that person.

And also forced extraction if the host/keyuser extracts for those missions that auto-fail you because keyuser left or the No-Host-Migrations-In-Void type of thing.

Edited by KnotOfMetal

You don't disregard a solution for part of the problem by saying it doesn't solve ALL of the problem.

When you're talking about taking development time to adjust something, it's a perfectly valid stance. Don't make a move until you know exactly what to do or you're wasting resources.

Especially when a solution to ALL of the problem was thought up over 2 years ago.

I think the fix would be to allow 5 more seconds every time someone extracts, or to give an option to extract with the rest of your squad after someone has.

I agree that the initial problem is still that of the human type.

It's never really been that complicated. If someone extracts, everyone left has 5-10 seconds to choose again if they want to fight or leave.

Done.

The only issue there's ever been with fixing this problem is with recoding the game mode to allow for such a change.

I've always liked the idea of if someone extracts in the last second or two then a new extraction timer (maybe with half the time) is started for the remaining players on whether they wish to extract or continue on without that person.

And also forced extraction if the host/keyuser extracts for those missions that auto-fail you because keyuser left or the No-Host-Migrations-In-Void type of thing.

Then we just get trolls delaying the timer over and over again so the game never ends OR progresses.

This would be a possible solution -- it would be beneficial as well, since waiting around the timer to count down when everyone is on the "continue" side is annoying right now anyways.

Then we just get trolls delaying the timer over and over again so the game never ends OR progresses.

if someone extracts in the last second or two then a new extraction timer (maybe with half the time) is started for the remaining players on whether they wish to extract or continue on without that person.

Not true. The best solution has been established long time ago.

1 - you can't change your mind. If you click LEAVE you leave, no turning back if you decided to play.

2 - no clicking - hesitating, means LEAVE. 

>B.. but what if I press wrong button?

You don't. Why would you?

Even if you did, it's just a game, clicking wrong button is not the end of the World. Control yourself next time.

>Oh, and what about that case when I press play and the rest of the team leaves and I'm alone doomed to fail. PUB players will troll, leaving only because someone wanted to keep playing...

If you play in PUB, expect anything. You find weird stuff in PUB like Limbos or switch teleporting Lokis.

Play in a clan team or find smart, honest players through chat. COMMUNICATE.

Why would a game rewarding cooperation not punished you for not being social enough?

Not true. The best solution has been established long time ago.

1 - you can't change your mind. If you click LEAVE you leave, no turning back if you decided to play.

2 - no clicking - hesitating, means LEAVE. 

Both of these simply don't work.

1. So you can bait people into leaving? Cool. Problems solved = 0

2. Literally anything could stop you from instantly choosing. There's a reason it has a timed grace period.

Why would a game rewarding cooperation not punished you for not being social enough?

I can't even begin to explain why this is a silly comment.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

Simple solution, easy to implement:

1) Use current "choice UI", with current timer:

2) If all players agree to stay..  round begins after timeout.

3) If all players agree to leave.. mission ends.

3) If ANY player(s) wants to leave.. when timeout reached:

a) this player(s) leaves game

b) for rest of the team.. game shows "choice UI" again.. with reseted timer and choices..

c) go to: (2).. repeat until all players agree to stay or all agree to leave

In short: when some player(s) leaves, show rest of the team "choice UI" again with reseted timer.

This is very easy to implement - it just re-use existing UI and choice mechanic.

It cannot be abused.

An idea is simply to put a second vote for people left if someone switches to extract in the last 5 seconds. People cant troll like a time increase could cause. If you get 2 trolls, then bad luck I guess.

Edited by Demon.King

Getting a little tired of the Draco/*insert farmable mission* whine threads. YES, the very mission that everyone likes to farm has the highest amount of idiots in PUGs going around.

What is surprising here? Play with people you know, or suffer the lowest level of intelligence in gaming. This is true in every single online game you can possibly play and it makes the reasonable and solid players shine even more. Which is the blessing within this curse, start cherry picking and soon all you run with is people who are like yourself. Problem solved.

Edited by V4YR4

The fix is simple, when all people who are in the game pick the same option, the game starts or quits, there's no need to wait for a countdown.