Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Future Frames Follow In Atlas's Footsteps?

AnOldAlias

Design wise? OH YES. Simple looking and without an absurdly exaggerated accent on the thematic.

Ability wise? Heck no. We don't need more abilities that scale poorly into late game endless missions. No matter how much damage his punches do he will still get his face shot off up close and don't even get me started on the golems(and again I'm talking about late game endless missions for all you mercury-adventurers that are going to tell me he's fine/op).

"Late game"

Don't try to balance around a game mode that never ends.

I feel like DE was on the right track when they made Chroma & Equinox. They can cc,damage,and heal. They have powers that have an instant effect and powers that make you work for it to reap the benefits. Playing frames like these are fun to me. It keeps my brain working instead of playing mindlessly and pressing 4. More frames like these pls.

Why not both? Though complx seems to equate to less frames... xbox celebrated only four frames its first calender year. Now weve Equinox with Atlas/Wukong waiting as theyre complete and Archer sneak peaked - a DRAMATIC change in frame creation pace. I liked the complex foursome we got, nothing against more but not so many back to back.

A frame's power complexity alone doesn't gauge their effectiveness. We could use a few simpler frames

I agree because I'm studying each frame now and some tricks of these frames look awsome but also difficult to pull in the midst of battle. I play with a 360 controller just for the record but still even I need to look how I use certain supers and how do I land it on my enemies.

The simple frames are the best its just that simple.

Atlas works well he can hold a point or push the enemy back when needed and is able to take the hits needed to do both well and just works.

Limbo a so called skill frame is just flat out awkward he can do his role well to pick off tough enemys and remove them and go kill them and be safe but his power set is just awkward how ever you look at it rift walk surge banish kill enemy find new target banish and over and over feels janky.

Chroma is a simple there is no real complexity to him pick a colour for the power type for the enemy you fight simple frame.

The complexity of Eqnox is not complexity again its just like Limbo in that its just awkward.

There should be some kind of complexity added but we do not get that we just get awkward power sets that just don`t mix well with each other or just add another set for no real reason other than to fill out a frame with 4 powers.

There maybe should be some kind of combo systerm so that warframes can trigger special effects when 2 frames use there powers at the right time say Rhino stomp to toss the enemy in to the air with say Ember world on fire triggers a combo that sends the enemys flying in to the sky to come come crashing down as burning meteors.

No.

I've been of the mindset for a long time now that we have enough frames. I'm not interested in any more unless they bring something new and fresh to the game. Atlas simply doesn't do this. His only vaguely interesting move is the wall, but it doesn't seem to have any stunning uses yet.

I'd rather have the coders working on re-vamps for the older frames, and the modelers making new deluxe skins/cosmetics.

Although I do agree with you, frames just don't have that huge difference when switching from this character in a fighting game to that one.

Unfortunately we're gonna get a couple more new frames (non primes) if DE's still aiming for MR30 to be highest rank.

Although I do agree with you, frames just don't have that huge difference when switching from this character in a fighting game to that one.

I'm aware, which I think is the problem. I wish DE had spent more time making each frame a unique experience and diversifying them, adding more depth and fundamental differences. It's impossible now; there's so many Warframes that each one is doomed to be shallow. With each Warframe that's added, it's that much more impossible.

It would be nice if each Warframe had one or more deluxe skins or unique cosmetic accessories. It would be nice if each Warframe had multiple Augments for each power. It would be nice if each Warframe was regularly re-viewed and balanced as needed. Instead, all of these are a fleeting dream since the number of Warframes is so high. And their solution? Pile more Warframes on top of it. 

People are of the mind that "well, even if I don't like Atlas, having him in the game doesn't hurt anthing" but it does. Time spent making alt helmets for him, making Augment mods for him, balancing him, could've been time making alt helmets for your favourites, making Augment mods for your favourites, giving a revamp to your favourite, or adding PBR to your favourite. With each new Warframe, Hydroid's stuck crying in a corner, forever forgotten. 

What I want from a new Warframe is a niche. Frost has his bubbles. Trinity has her Energy Vampire. Nekros has his Desecrate. These are incredibly useful things that they can contribute to a team that nobody else can. To me, this is how Atlas fails. He simply doesn't add anything to the game, or to potential party dynamics. You might think "well, we pretty much have every niche covered, so that's inevitible" but my answer to that would be "well then, it's time to stop making Warframes". 

Sorry for the rant, but the rate at which DE is pumping out thoughtless Warframes really bothers me. I think it's overall harmful to the development of the game, for a lot of reasons, only a few of which I touched on above.

I'm aware, which I think is the problem. I wish DE had spent more time making each frame a unique experience and diversifying them, adding more depth and fundamental differences. It's impossible now; there's so many Warframes that each one is doomed to be shallow. With each Warframe that's added, it's that much more impossible.

It would be nice if each Warframe had one or more deluxe skins or unique cosmetic accessories. It would be nice if each Warframe had multiple Augments for each power. It would be nice if each Warframe was regularly re-viewed and balanced as needed. Instead, all of these are a fleeting dream since the number of Warframes is so high. And their solution? Pile more Warframes on top of it.

People are of the mind that "well, even if I don't like Atlas, having him in the game doesn't hurt anthing" but it does. Time spent making alt helmets for him, making Augment mods for him, balancing him, could've been time making alt helmets for your favourites, making Augment mods for your favourites, giving a revamp to your favourite, or adding PBR to your favourite. With each new Warframe, Hydroid's stuck crying in a corner, forever forgotten.

What I want from a new Warframe is a niche. Frost has his bubbles. Trinity has her Energy Vampire. Nekros has his Desecrate. These are incredibly useful things that they can contribute to a team that nobody else can. To me, this is how Atlas fails. He simply doesn't add anything to the game, or to potential party dynamics. You might think "well, we pretty much have every niche covered, so that's inevitible" but my answer to that would be "well then, it's time to stop making Warframes".

Sorry for the rant, but the rate at which DE is pumping out thoughtless Warframes really bothers me. I think it's overall harmful to the development of the game, for a lot of reasons, only a few of which I touched on above.

Tbh I'm more than fine but the community that says "MAKE MOAR FRAMES, MORA MR!!!11" speaks much louder than the one that wants to retune old frames. Arguably, yeah they are reworking Saryn and making a new frame but if they put all hands on just the former we wouldn't have a frame that might be overshadowed by the next frame.

There's only so much you can do with an archer theme and with how many frames are being added.

Calling it, she's gonna have a fire rate buff ability.

Hmm..

Seems a lot of people want a middle ground.

And how do you propose making it middle ground?

Ï think Mirage is a good example of a frame that's straightforward, yet has some tricks up her sleeve. Sleight of Hand is an utter failure of a power, but her other powers work nicely:

1) HoM increases your damage, but it also synergizes with certain weapons (like explosives) and can be used with LoS to force the enemy into agroing one of your clones.

3) Eclipse has its light/shadow gimmick and an interesting augment.

4) Instant disco ball can be thrown around corners and detonated to blind stuff.

Unlike Chroma and Equinox, Mirage doesn't have a whole bunch of mechanics that require a visit to the wiki to understand. She's simple, intuitive and fun, yet requires a little bit of brain work to use at her maximum potential. With a Sleight of Hand rework, she'd be perfect. Seriously DE, rework Sleight of Hand.

Title.

The simplicity, along with the general impact and power his powers display is quite refreshing over the either overly complex or lackluster frame abilities that we've gotten over the past few updates.

Do you believe that the general feel of impact and power, along with its simplicity/somewhat complexity attached, should be given to future frames?

Or do you prefer overly complex/interesting?

Of course complex and interesting can still tie in with the more simplistic stuff. Atlas's Wall(Tectonics) for instance is complex, yet simple at the same time.

As well as Landslide. Very nicely done ability, as well.

general feel of impact and power

lol wut

Landslide, while it can scale to high numbers, is useless past Mercury. You will die to the bullet damage of any high level enemy since Atlas is a melee damage frame with no damage reduction abilities.

Tectonics lasts 3 hits, can no longer be used as a platform, and does no damage.

Petrify is great for stunning all that chafe you don't actually need stunned, and fully useless when it comes to crowd controlling units you actually need under control.

Rumblers die extremely fast, deal 0 damage, and are, of course, run by the games $&*&*#(%& AI. Essentially useless, and because of the way they scale, they always will be useless since modding him for any other ability makes these things completely gimped.

He's a grab bag of thematic skills that don't gel together well with the rest of Warframe's gameplay.

Edited by Cancer_Cowboy

The simple frames are the best its just that simple.

Atlas works well he can hold a point or push the enemy back when needed and is able to take the hits needed to do both well and just works.

Limbo a so called skill frame is just flat out awkward he can do his role well to pick off tough enemys and remove them and go kill them and be safe but his power set is just awkward how ever you look at it rift walk surge banish kill enemy find new target banish and over and over feels janky.

Chroma is a simple there is no real complexity to him pick a colour for the power type for the enemy you fight simple frame.

The complexity of Eqnox is not complexity again its just like Limbo in that its just awkward.

There should be some kind of complexity added but we do not get that we just get awkward power sets that just don`t mix well with each other or just add another set for no real reason other than to fill out a frame with 4 powers.

There maybe should be some kind of combo systerm so that warframes can trigger special effects when 2 frames use there powers at the right time say Rhino stomp to toss the enemy in to the air with say Ember world on fire triggers a combo that sends the enemys flying in to the sky to come come crashing down as burning meteors.

Youve no idea the complexity issue does not equate to plaher skill but design. DE have tougher times working with and creating a cocept to playable build of a Limbo, a Mesa and particuarly Chroma compared to Atlas or Wukong. Its simpler for us... we dont code them, create their abilities or try to balance them all whilst meanwhile retweaking existing frames... even some which dont need a rework or tweak lack passives yet. Simpler frames like Atlas eases the strain on DE i guess. I dont imagine the conceptual Archer frame to be complicated either.

I just want a frame that has all attacking skills no buffs just straight forward melee

Terrible concept for a team based game though - Atlas has no team orientated abilities either but at least he can tank attention behind a wall and a couple of Rumblers. A solo melee frame im not sure i like idea of to be honest.

Edited by (XB1)Skode

DE's idea of Warframe has clearly changed, trying to force them to develop something different just for the sake of nostalgia will result in pointless warframes like Atlas. Atlas' abilities don't synergize even a little and he just doesn't have any kind of role in this game, if you really want to find him a purpose you could say that he's decent for solo runs.

My answer is no, I want well-thought warframes with specific roles and useful abilities.

The only reason I can think Atlas was simply made because it is tied to Stone and tbh, that is really hard to mess up mechanically.
Chuck rocks, make rock walls etc

Same as Ember, Frost , Volt and Saryn, their abilities are fairly thematic too, hence causing less need for mechanically challenging aspects.

Now look at Chroma : Dragon Warframe, tanky warframe, but with some weird mechanics revolving Colour changing and Vex armor and Aura. On paper, when slowly explained to people, it totally makes sense and yea, people get it and get used to it after awhile. But if thought about properly, he is a frame with more than at least 4 forms of play made available and even though only 2 stand out, some of us just love going Toxin and Electric for the lulz and shiggles.

Then people start going "wtf do I build on Chroma, what to Min max, help meh"

Then look at Limbo, who has a unique mechanic all to himself, but follows the mechanic and theme so tightly, it made 3 of his abilities do fundamentally the same thing. 

TLDR : I want more stuff like Atlas and Chroma, and less stuff like Limbo, who feels rushed.

Edited by YasaiTsume

So Soul Punch isn't powerful at all?

Unless you heavily invest in PWR str which few do.

And even then you won't be doing much. At absolute max via mods it does 1420 points of Impact dmg which is pathetic when compared to Atlas with his giant numbers.

But it's amazing at plowing through or reviving friendlies.

Just not at killing enemies.

Edited by Ziegrif

Youve no idea the complexity issue does not equate to plaher skill but design. DE have tougher times working with and creating a cocept to playable build of a Limbo, a Mesa and particuarly Chroma compared to Atlas or Wukong. Its simpler for us... we dont code them, create their abilities or try to balance them all whilst meanwhile retweaking existing frames... even some which dont need a rework or tweak lack passives yet. Simpler frames like Atlas eases the strain on DE i guess. I dont imagine the conceptual Archer frame to be complicated either.

I would like to ask what you are on and how in any way that kind of reply has any point to make to me or my post in any way.

What DE do code wise is up to them and how they do it and has nothing to do with this topic my post or any thing we are talking about here.

This is a topic about frames and how some have overly simple powersets like Atlas but when you look at it every frame is real simple power set some are just awkward but that has not made them complex just annoying.

This topic is asking about if frames should stay as simple as Atlas or become more complex some point to frames like limbo as complex but he is a simple frame 2 3 1 kill enemy 1 kill 1 kill refresh 2 and 3 then 1 kill its simple but janky way of playing its not complex its just slightly annoying.

Unless you heavily invest in PWR str which few do.

And even then you won't be doing much. At absolute max via mods it does 1420 points of Impact dmg which is pathetic when compared to Atlas with his giant numbers.

But it's amazing at plowing through or reviving friendlies.

Just not at killing enemies.

Waw I was actually thinking of picking him up because he has such cool powers especially Soul Punch. I mean you hit the soul out of the enemy's body.