Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good End Game Primary

Zero118

Question

Refreashed and lost all things I wrote... so in short.

In game I hear about how EPIC Boltor and Soma Prime are. Having used Boltor at low level I found it rather weak, recently got a Soma and found it way better (probs due to having better mods).

So I decided to farm towards Soma Prime.

Than I went to the warframe wiki, and while seeing stats, drop locations etc. I drifted to the comment section.

Some people were saying its good, but many that it falls of fast in endgame content. Now this was bad since I want something that will work for SPECIFICALLY end game content.

People were saying Boltor Prime or Vectis Prime are better choices for endgame.

So I went to Vectis Page, and everyone is saying ~bla bla~ Boltor does high damage too, its better ~ bla bla~.

So I go to Boltor Prime Page, everyone is saying ~ bla Nub wep bla ~ Soma Prime is better ~bla Rhino P nub bla~.

So now I am here completely as I am completely lost as to what to get.

Which Primary should I aim for?

*NOTE* I am high enough MR for any gun so suggest anything you thinks good for end game content.
Also I know anything can be good with a bunch of Forma's but I would like to avoid that.

Finally when I say end game I am excluding raids and the harder nightmare missions. So mainly T4 Void, since that's the most difficult area when farming most prime stuff.

Those people are way too stingy about weapon choice for high-level content.  You can make many loadouts work out to 40 minutes into T4S (60 minutes with a full stack of Corrosive Projections in the squad), given that you dump enough forma into it.

Soma Prime, Vectis Prime, and Boltor Prime are all great weapons.  Just choose the one that you like the best.  If those don't satisfy you, then you have grenade launchers like the Tonkor, and shotguns like the (Vaykor) Hek, Tigris, and Kohm.  Then you have bows like the Paris Prime, Dread, and (eventually) Rakta Cernos.

Edited by AzureEmulation

If you're looking for an endgame weapon but you don't want to forma it, you're kinda out of luck. Formaing is how you turn a weapon into something you can carry into late game. Whether it's Boltor P or Hek or Dread, you have to invest in it to make it useful. When people talk about endgame weapons, they're talking about weapons that are worth sinking formae into, not weapons that are good without formae.

As far as which is best, there's a variety that are on par with each other, and which one is best depends on which one you prefer. Personally, I go back and forth between Vaykor Hek, Dread, and Paris P, because I like weapons that require the fewest number of shots to get a kill. If you prefer a more wear-them-down approach, Soma P or Boltor P is fine. I'm not a fan of the way this game handles sniper rifles, so I can't recommend the Vectis P, but someone who likes snipers might have a different opinion.

There is no "best", though Boltor P comes close once you put formae into it. It's 30% stats, and 70% how you use the weapon that determines what's best.

Edited by motorfirebox

I haven't used the Soma for a while now but Soma Prime has one of the highest dps output of all the primaries in-game.

It's a good choice before you try out the more exotic ones.

It has 2 base V polarities which will only require you to add 3 more V's and 1 -- (total of 4) for a complete build.

Personally I go with:

Serration - V

Heavy Caliber - V

Split Chamber - V

Shred - V

Point Strike - V

Vital Sense

90% Elemental - --

90% Elemental

You can't really base your decision based on the comments on the wiki page. Some people will like it some won't.

Fortunately there are awesome youtubers out there dedicated on showcasing most of these weapons so I suggest watching a few of them before trying something out.

Edited by Oranji

The Tonkor is probably the strongest primary overall. It deals massive damage, gets red crits, has a large AoE (especially with Firestorm), and is easy to acquire. However, it is fiddly to aim at medium and long ranges, especially with Heavy Caliber.

Soma Prime, Boltor Prime, Sancti Tigris, Hek, Quanta, Supra, and Synoid Simulor are all very strong. The Supra tends to be ignored nowadays because it's comparable to Soma and Boltor, but has more spread and recoil. The Amprex is also very strong, but falls off eventually.

Once enemies get to be > level 80, the Dread, Rakta Cernos, Vectis/Prime, Sancti Tigris, Hek, and other very high damage-per-shot weapons become particularly useful. Bows and snipers aren't nearly as good at mowing down crowds of enemies as other weapons, but at very high levels, enemies can soak up half a mag from a Boltor Prime or Soma Prime, whereas you can aim carefully and shoot them in the teeth with the Dread, killing them in very few shots.

At > level 80, enemies quickly become massive bullet sponges. Even the Tonkor eventually loses its ability to one-shot everything. At that point, Corrosive Projection, Roar, Total Eclipse, Molecular Prime, Sonar (especially Sonar), and other damage buffs/debuffs are a lot more important than which weapon you're using.

Edited by Kastorius

Chose weapons which have high status along with high crit rate and build for the both stats, as status proc crits do considerably more damage. Dread is on of those, also it can land a very heavy bleed proc (around 4k+ damage per tic from a red crit)

Is this true that a status proc does more damage? I was under the assumption that the +% elemental modifiers were always in effect, unless you're talking about something like viral which reduces enemy hp to half for x seconds but then again that's only useful if they're >50% hp.

I was positively impressed by how versatile the Rakta Cernos is.

Even if the damage base focuses almost entirely on Impact and may be less appealing for Void Running and Infestatiton blending it still has a nice base damage, Blight Proc, the numbers for a critical build and that incredible innate nocking/charging speed. Plus, it looks great.

it also comes with two Madurai and a Naramon Polarities, and going with Serration, Split Chamber, Vital Sense and Point Strike leaves you with four slots to arrange as you most see fitting. 2 Formae are enough to rock it out.

Give it a chance, it managed to convert even a bow un-enthusiast as me.

EDIT: added a lil' somethingsomething.

Edited by (PS4)Van_Ter

Is this true that a status proc does more damage? I was under the assumption that the +% elemental modifiers were always in effect, unless you're talking about something like viral which reduces enemy hp to half for x seconds but then again that's only useful if they're >50% hp.

The elemental modifiers are always in effect, but many status effects can help you kill faster.

Viral will heavily reduce TTKs at high level, especially on automatic weapons that are all but certain to proc it before 50% HP on high status weapons. Corrosive's armor reduction (if lacking 4xCP) will make you do more damage. Additionally, Slash, Toxin, and Fire all deal DoT, while Electric will deal damage to nearby enemies, and all 4 of these are affected by crit and headshot multipliers.

As for the main question in this topic, if you're looking to get a great weapon without too many forma invested, here's some you might consider:

- All Syndicate Primaries. All of these are powerful, and except for Vaykor Hek and Telos Boltor, they all have 3 innate polarities. Some are D polarities, but you can work around that. There is no faction in the game where cold damage is useless, after all; Viral for grineer/void, blast for Infested, magnetic for Corpus, and even cold itself has bonuses against shields and alloy armor, with a useful proc.

- Soma Prime. Very powerful automatic crit weapon, starts with 2 V polarities. Its rate of fire and decent status chance can let it get by using element+status mods in place of pure elements if you really want to save forma. By using these, along with a rank 8 heavy Calibur, you can easily get away with just 2 Forma.

- Boltor Prime. I'm sure you've heard plenty about this, high DPS weapon, starts with V and D polarity. As said before, D polarity can be worked around. It might be worth noting that Boltor Prime and Telos Boltor are almost the same gun.

- Dread. High damage, albeit largely single-target. Extremely high crit chance and good status chance; 2 innate V polarities. Can be built the same way as I described for Soma Prime for an entirely viable 2-forma build. Can replace Shred with Speed Trigger to use maxed Heavy Calibur if you wish, as bows have innate punch through on charged shots.

-Paris Prime. Comparable to dread, just with slightly lower crit chance and different damage spread, but starts with a V and a Dash. The polarities do require modifying the aforementioned build, but you can still get away with just 2 forma by using Vile Acceleration in place of Shred/speed trigger.

Edited by Tails-san

Viral reduces both the current and maximum health to half of its value when procced (and doubles both again when it wears of). Functionally, this is equivalent to all damage sources dealing double damage for as long as the Viral status is in effect.

Slash procs actually deal a surprising amount of damage, so the damage output of high Slash weapons is actually noticeably higher that what you otherwise see on paper (for enemies that live long enough to actually take the damage, of course).

Radiation procs won't kill things on their own, but are great for redirecting enemy aggro off of yourself and onto some poor unsuspecting fool.

If you want a status hose, you can't get much better than the Braton Prime (which even comes with 60% of its base damage in Slash) modded with Radiation and Viral.

For raw damage, the suggestions from the posts above are all good.

Torid , tonkor, dread, lanka, synoid symulor, rakta cernos, paris prime, hek... Lot of guns u can use in end game , events or 2 hours in surv 4 for ex ... critical weapons, status weapons , crowd control , this kinds ever ll be useful , particularly i hate Assault rifles , low dmg in high lvl enemies, spend lot ammo and lost lot time aim and shooting , when high mob shoot back, bye. But s funny in middle lvls

Anything said in warframe's wikia comments should be taken with salt imho. Soma prime and boltor prime are common highly powerful weapons considered very good options with soma especially if you can get the weakpoints. Other options are very wide range, including amprex specifically for crowds, synoid simulor, sancti tigris, hek/vaykor hek, kohm, tonkor, phage, etc, including weaker weapons with that compensate with status chance like braton prime and strun wraith to name a few.

Really just go with what you like. Haters gonna hate, so no use trying to please everyone

Watch the numbers, pay attention to the status and the non-status crits. Unless I'm imagining things, status crits do more damage.

V9arxKs.jpg

And here is a small showcase of some weapons performance

Dread

84fgQY4.jpg

Vectis prime

z1I4Jwp.jpg

Tonkor

pHb9dE2.jpg

Vaykor Hek

VlgVnFG.jpg

Soma prime

7rQsrcW.jpg

Boltor prime

H2RwAD2.jpg

Braton prime

JEcV6Zv.jpg

Sancti Tigris

eZrnp27.jpg

My personal impression - boltor prime sucks, as well as soma prime.

Btw, T4 enemies are of the same level as T3 enemies, they just do more damage.

Viral reduces both the current and maximum health to half of its value when procced (and doubles both again when it wears of). Functionally, this is equivalent to all damage sources dealing double damage for as long as the Viral status is in effect.

Slash procs actually deal a surprising amount of damage, so the damage output of high Slash weapons is actually noticeably higher that what you otherwise see on paper (for enemies that live long enough to actually take the damage, of course).

Radiation procs won't kill things on their own, but are great for redirecting enemy aggro off of yourself and onto some poor unsuspecting fool.

If you want a status hose, you can't get much better than the Braton Prime (which even comes with 60% of its base damage in Slash) modded with Radiation and Viral.

For raw damage, the suggestions from the posts above are all good.

Sorry to be a bit off topic again, but this is quite helpful.

I thought i read that viral only reduces the the total hp in half, ie if a mob has 75% hp and you proc, it takes it to 50% not 37.5%

*edit* to the post above mine, it's tough to tell but are those hits doing more damage because corrosive keeps procing, thus reducing the enemies armor?

Edited by cpt.joo

Theres the normal average extreame dps, or burst dps. Then theres where you forma a braton prime with 8 formas. Then you get synergies like zephyr and tonkor impact damage. Banshee with resonating and ignis gets into millions of damage. Higher missions cc gets more missions such as 90+ survival, 60+ defence

Sorry to be a bit off topic again, but this is quite helpful.

I thought i read that viral only reduces the the total hp in half, ie if a mob has 75% hp and you proc, it takes it to 50% not 37.5%

*edit* to the post above mine, it's tough to tell but are those hits doing more damage because corrosive keeps procing, thus reducing the enemies armor?

There was a moment when one shot without any status effect has critted for 2171, and the next one with a piercing proc has critted 8684, exactly x4 of the previous shot, both to the head.

Edited by Bouldershoulder

If it can kill lvl80 enemies in a couple of seconds, it's endgame (such as it is).

Lots of guns can do this. However, you'll invariably be looking at multiple forma to get there and you'll find you like some sorts of guns better than others.

I like autotrigger guns (the "fun" switch) and positively detest charge-up weapons, particularly bows. Many others disagree, but it's personal preference. As has been pointed out, some weapons have synergies with particular warframes and these might be worth pursuing (The Tonkor/Zephyr thing was mentioned; I like Zephyr and dislike the Tonkor--I use projectile weapons on Zeph with the syndicate tailwind mod).

I generally prefer hitscan over projectile weapons, so my three favorite weapons are the SomaP, the BratonP, and the Prisma Grakata. They're somewhat similar, but have their own idiosyncrasies and all have a place--and all can really bring the pain.

Some warframes have very in-your-face or gun-platform playstyles and here I find a niche for autotrigger projectile weapons. My favorites are the BoltorP, the Telos Boltor, and the Supra (I expect the Dera Vandal will join this lot if it ever gets to the PC). Since they either find themselves at close range, have the time to lead and line up shots, or can absolutely flood an area with fire, they make good use of these sorts of weapons.

The gun-platform warframes can also make good use of semi-auto or sniper type weapons. They stand and shoot and can leverage these very powerful, but relatively slow weapons quite well. The LatronP and Latron Wraith fall into this category and are extremely effective.

Then there are shotguns. Here we have more weapons that are very powerful, relatively short ranged, and/or slow to reload. They interface well with the in-your-face variety of warframe and are best represented by the Heks, the BoarP, and (well, until the loading animation change) the Strun Wraith.

A lot of it is personal preference, but there are plenty of weapons can can handle lvl100ish enemies when modded correctly.