Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need A Long Handled Scythe

Duhktape

As a fan of the Vindictus Scythe Evie, all of my yes.

I want such a big &#! scythe that it makes even Stalker second gues his choices.

As for the practical use:

Yes the weapon would be prety top heavy, but a halbert is top heavy and damn long.

I wouldn't like wielding a scythe straight from the farmhouse though, the bended pole they use for it is very inpracticle.

I imagine it would be like a longsword in combat function:

Start swinging it to gain momentum and then walk into an enemy formation to break it up as you reap everything in your path.

ok so, let's re-cap

we already have normal farming scythes (sickles)

we need one of those long anime scythes (which i will call great-scythes from now on)

we also need a chain-sickle weapon

and a flexible scythe? (which i think is just a whip with a blade on the end) doesn't that already exist?

We don't have "normal" farming scythes.

Normal farming scythes are "great scythes"

UkxthBS.jpg

Sickles and scythes are not the same thing.

Sickle, the handle length can vary but this is the most common, it never "turns into" a scythe.

hTiwYWn.jpg

There is no such thing as a flexible scythe, it's a whip.

Chain-scythe is called Kusarigama

z3TsUYK.jpg

What we do have are oversized climbing axes(hate) and 2 handed kamas(everything else).

The oversized grim reaper style scythes that everyone wants are just that oversized and impractical(beyond looking intimidating) never really existed.

Warscythes are this:(i know, disappointing)

2YaNx4W.png

How is it not doable? Ridiged portions linked with flexible connections. They've already achieved the basic concept with nunchaku weapons. This would just be taking it a few steps further. Or even more simply, cut some corners and simplify several of the segments into a single flexible segment, with only a few rigid pivot points between, like they do with sydanas.

You have no idea how modeling and animation works right?

Just tell me one thing: How are you going to put this on your back?

Something i have been waiting for for ages ;w;

Well it's not like we have to keep things "normal" in Warframe when we have a Jetpowered Hammer, a Greatsword you can swing like it weighs less than a stick and Fist weapons that amke you breakdance xD

easy, make it fold ;)

Orthos & Orthos Prime already shrinks and extends via it`s handle, so you could do the same for a long handled Scythe.

Only problem is greatswords actually existed, and people irl can swing them around(not as quickly mind you) without problem.

What a couple people in this thread are misunderstanding is that realistic=/=believable.

Space ninjas are not realistic, but in the context of Warframe they are believable

My personal opinion is that "anime size" scythes are not believable for Warframe's setting. I just find it hard to believe a Tenno could swing around a blade as tall as themselves while it is at the end of an even longer pole. The proportions are just out of whack.

DE has never put a strength limitation on the Tenno, infact, judging by how they use most melee weapons with our current stances it leads us to believe they are pretty near superman levels of strength. For example those greatswords. Tenno swing them around like they are sticks (Talking about with fury/zerker mods aswell, since those are just as much apart of melee weapons). Don't see how a great scythe would be any different.

As for the realistic/believable argument. I seem to remember a ton of people saying the same thing about Gunblades. Turned out they got into the game just fine, though.

Edited by SJunior

DE has never put a strength limitation on the Tenno, infact, judging by how they use most melee weapons with our current stances it leads us to believe they are pretty near superman levels of strength. For example those greatswords. Tenno swing them around like they are sticks (Talking about with fury/zerker mods aswell, since those are just as much apart of melee weapons). Don't see how a great scythe would be any different.

Superman levels of strength is way out of any tenno's power. He could lift buildings and change rotations of planets. Tenno on average are a bit above peak human condition, but nowhere near Superman.

Greatswords are one straight blade, and actually exist. The scythes people are asking for here do not exist, and for good reason. It'd be like taping a galatine to the end of a bo.

i've been looking at the scythes on the codex and i realize that they're more like they're farming counterparts rather then a staff variant. to top it off, there IS a long handled scythe but it's an archwing weapon.

if they were to add a long handled scythe it should have some very unique effects to make it worth having another scythe. it could hit multiple enemies but whoever is getting hit with the blade part would take alot of slash damage while the guy on the other side would take moderate impact damage, that's my idea atleast.

also i know some people want a long handled scythe so they can wield a death scythe from soul eater :3

they still havnt added one?

problem is, if DE take this to heart, and decide "yeah, let's give them a bigger Scythe, we'll end up with something that should be in Final Fantasy that's WAY too big. if it were about as long as the Orthos, that would be enough. maybe give it a folding mechanic for easy storage when visibly holstered.

and as much as I would love a Scythe/Sniper combo like in RWBY, I doubt it'll ever happen.

Indeed.

All our current scythes are pretty much sickles, and should be called as such. Like gosh dang I was so disappointed when I saw how short they were when they got introduced.

Either a new family of melee weapons that are full length scythes, or convert existing ones to it.

Having worked on restoring a 100 year old scythe in real life to a decent wall mounted condition I'd say you are incorrect. While warframe's scythes DO have shorter than average handles, they are not sickles. A sickle is a 1 handed blade with the handle never being longer than a foot and a half.  Warframe also doesn't utilize proper "war" scythes MOSTLY because the angle of the blade is wrong, war scythes didn't look like scythes, because scythes are harvesting tools, the angle of the blade was important for the. A war scythe was rather similar to a curved spear. They could have shorter handles, but were still always two-handed weapons.

Now I DO agree that warframe should have scythes animated as 2-handed weapons with longer handles, but as a fan of both scythes and sickles, and being familiar with the lore from both parts of the world in their use as weapons and in how they came to be associated with the supernatural as well as their real-life uses and treatment I don't think it was fair to discard them as sickles.

Kama's are are actually sickles, though the European variant had a much more curved blade, akin to a crescent. While sickles have been used religiously, scythes have not, though they are known quite well metaphorically.

We don't have "normal" farming scythes.

Normal farming scythes are "great scythes"

UkxthBS.jpg

Sickles and scythes are not the same thing.

Sickle, the handle length can vary but this is the most common, it never "turns into" a scythe.

hTiwYWn.jpg

There is no such thing as a flexible scythe, it's a whip.

Chain-scythe is called Kusarigama

z3TsUYK.jpg

What we do have are oversized climbing axes(hate) and 2 handed kamas(everything else).

The oversized grim reaper style scythes that everyone wants are just that oversized and impractical(beyond looking intimidating) never really existed.

Warscythes are this:(i know, disappointing)

2YaNx4W.png

Thank you for also pointing this out. I hadn't bothered to dig up images for my comment regarding it, but it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people get this so wrong because of popularized media. Good on you for knowing history.

ya im a jat kitagg user for a reason, ROCKET POWERED BIG HAMMER XD

and never been a fan of the small scythes we get, anuku can be fun if built right, hate is a ....no for me

kamas are fine (prime V is good)

but overal when i hear SCYTHE i think giant blade to cut my enemies apart

it is a well known weapon in many animes and manga ...

heck RWBY has a GUNBLADE styled scythe

ruby+rose+red+rwby+wallpaper+%5Bwww.anim

Atlast somebody who has seen RWBY. Now that's a scythe. Personally I would be all over it. Love it need it.

Scythes are an anime meme.

And so are Greatswords, Battle whips, Dual swords, Kunai, Claws, Huge Fist weapons, unreal parkour etcetera. We already have loads of weapons that can be found in anime, why stop?

We need actual Scythes, Halberds, poleaxes, and spears.  Check please.

Seconded! +1

Edited by (PS4)Redemption_015